Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse

I don't care if we went 18-1 in '07...

The '06 draft was hideous, as were the decisions that offseason

DeAngelo Williams was the perfect back for us... We still had 1 year of Dillon, Williams was lightning quick, Dillon the pounder... Faulk the reciever and all everything guy... perfect

Williams over Maroney would have been awesome

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse

Clearly you didn't see the game on Sunday.  The dynasty is far from over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Yes, well unfortunately the Pats didn't get to watch how the players did for the next four years before deciding who they would take like you did.  That was a bad draft but I'm pretty sure that 06 team was not going to win anything without a decent receiver (Reche Caldwell #1?) which they did not have. 

I still don't know how Brady threw for 3500 yds to that group of UFL'ers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I am a huge Patriots fan man, just still disgusted over that draft, guys I wanted and were there for the taking became GREAT pro's, we drafted BUMS. The core from the 3 titles was still there, just needed some help at a few spots.

'The Dynasty' was the 01-04 three in four years club

They could have stretched it to 5 in 7 with a good '06 draft, I am convinced of this.

This current club IF we win a SB, would be like comparing the 09-10 Lakers to the 00-02 Lakers

Kobe and Tom are still here, the glamor guys

Fisher is like Faulk/Light/Coppen/TBC

and then NOBODY else is left (Wilfork won 1, Warren is out for this season)

To keep the comparison going Shaq would have been like our entire nasty defense of lunchpail vets with smarts and swagger..

I think this years team could win a SB, but the old dyansty is dead

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Hindsight is always 20/20

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

That was a bad draft but I'm pretty sure that 06 team was not going to win anything without a decent receiver (Reche Caldwell #1?) which they did not have.

How about Greg Jennings at pick #52.. the same one we traded up with to take bust Chad Jackson?

Brandon Marshall was a 4th rd pick, but i am not even saying to go for him... I am not just looking back and cherry picking players. You don't need to watch whjat they would do for their 1st 4 pro seasons...

College ball should have told you Williams and Jennings were better for this team than Maroney and Jackson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

You're absolutely right.  We began to collapse in 2006 and only made it to the AFC Championship game.  We declined even further the following year by only making it to the SB and going unbeaten in the regular season.  The next year however, was indeed a collapse.  We only went 11-5 and missed the playoffs after losing our franchise QB for the season.  But wait, it gets even worse.  The following year we only won the division.  Even Detroit fans were laughing at us.

Fortunately, in 2009 the dynasty picked itself up off the ground with a stellar draft.  In 2010 the dynasty added more pillars.  Even better, that genius got us 4 more picks in the first two rounds next year.  Wait, there's still more...if that guy picks as well as he did the last two years, the dynasty will rise again.

OK, enough sarcasm.  It's been beaten to death on this board that our drafts from 2006-2008 were not anything to write home about.  However, if you give blame, you also have to give credit.  Our last two drafts have rocked.  We did pay a price for our draft slump.  We had to bring in far too many free agents to make up for bad drafts.  Whereas we paid a price for our bad drafts, we will be rewarded for our recent good drafts.  I'm just thankful that our "collapse" lasted only a couple of years and never took us to where we actually had a losing record.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse:
    [QUOTE]Hindsight is always 20/20
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

So true....I am sure many teams regret not drafting a QB out of Michigan in 2000before the 6th round

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Lets look at what we missed on. Chad Jackson.....ouch. We cant be right all the time. However, this was a bad draft. Jones Drew would have been nice.

21. New England - Laurence Maroney, RB Minnesota
    22. San Francisco (from Washington through Denver) - Manny Lawson, DE/OLB North Carolina State
    23. Tampa Bay - Davin Joseph, G Oklahoma
    24. Cincinnati - Johnathan Joseph, CB South Carolina
    25. Pittsburgh (from N.Y. Giants) - Santonio Holmes, WR Ohio State
    26. Buffalo (from Chicago) - John McCargo, DT North Carolina State
    27. Carolina - DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis
    28. Jacksonville - Marcedes Lewis, TE UCLA
    29. NY Jets (from Denver through Atlanta) - Nick Mangold, C Ohio State
    30. Indianapolis - Joseph Addai, RB LSU
    31. Seattle - Kelly Jennings, CB Miami (FL)
    32. N.Y. Giants (from Pittsburgh) - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College

Round Two
    1. (33) Houston - DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama
    2. (34) Cleveland (from New Orleans) - D'Qwell Jackson, LB Maryland
    3. (35) Washington (from New York Jets) - Rocky McIntosh, LB Miami (FL)
    4. (36) New England (from Green Bay) - Chad Jackson, WR Florida
    5. (37) Atlanta (from San Francisco through Denver through Green Bay) - Jimmy Williams, CB Virginia Tech
    6. (38) Oakland - Thomas Howard, OLB UTEP
    7. (39) Philadelphia (from Tennessee) - Winston Justice, OT USC
    8. (40) Detroit - Daniel Bullocks, S Nebraska
    9. (41) Arizona - Deuce Lutui, OG USC
    10. (42) Chicago (from Buffalo) - Danieal Manning, DB Abilene Christian
    11. (43) New Orleans (from Cleveland) - Roman Harper, S Alabama
    12. (44) N.Y. Giants (from Baltimore) - Sinorice Moss, WR Miami (FL)
    13. (45) Tennessee (from Philadelphia) - LenDale White, RB USC
    14. (46) St. Louis - Joe Klopfenstein, TE Colorado
    15. (47) Green Bay (from Atlanta)- Daryn Colledge, OT Boise State
    16. (48) Minnesota - Cedric Griffin, CB Texas
    17. (49) N.Y. Jets (from Dallas) - Kellen Clemens, QB Oregon
    18. (50) San Diego - Marcus McNeil, OT Auburn
    19. (51) Minnesota (from Miami) - Ryan Cook, C New Mexico
    20. (52) Green Bay (from New England) - Greg Jenning, WR Western Michigan
    21. (53) Dallas (from Washington through NY Jets) - Anthony Fasano, TE Notre Dame
    22. (54) Kansas City - Bernard Pollard, S Purdue
    23. (55) Cincinnati - Andrew Whitworth, OT LSU
    24. (56) Baltimore (from N.Y. Giants)- Chris Chester, C/G Oklahoma
    25. (57) Chicago - Devin Hester, WR/KR Miami (FL)
    26. (58) Carolina - Richard Marshall, CB Fresno State
    27. (59) Tampa Bay - Jeremy Trueblood, OT Boston College
    28. (60) Jacksonville - Maurice Drew, RB UCLA
    29. (61) Denver - Tony Scheffler, TE Western Michigan
    30. (62) Indianapolis - Tim Jennings, CB Georgia
    31. (63) Seattle - Darryl Tapp, DE Virginia Tech
    32. (64) Minnesota (from Pittsburgh) - Tarvarius Jackson, QB Alaba

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It is not simply hindsight 20/20... otherwise I say we trade up to get Demeco Ryans and take Brandon Marshall in rd 4.

Instead of Chad Jackson you stick with Jennings in rd 2, Florida WR's are always overhyped and HOW ON EARTH did he pass the Pioli/BB interview???

Rd 3 you trade up a few picks to get solid RT Eric Winston instead of trading the pick to get Chad Jackson and later taking bust Ryan O'Callaghan in rd 5. Rd 5 is not for starters. Address that spot before taking TWO backup TE's. MY GOD!

Other rd 3 pick you could take Owen Daniels over David Thomas, whatever that is a toss-up based on whatb they both did in college. (Maybe just don't cut Thomas and sign Baker 2-3 years later) OR..... you can just KEEP DAN GRAHAM considering he was a great blocking TE who could make a clutch catch and that was exactly what we wanted from the position.

If you keep Graham you can take OG Jahari Evans, the guy who just got the Mankins $ and who would have opened holes for Williams/Dillon and phased out the always injured Stephen Neal

In rd 4, instead of the idiotic Garrett Mills pick, when you JUST DRAFTED THOMAS, maybe you take Elvin Dumervil, who was only a sack machine in college when he wasn't contantly double teamed and drew comparisons to Freeney but fell b/c of his size.

Remember how we turned 6' Bruschi into a good LB? Didn't we just lose Willie Mac and need a hybrid OLB/DE who can get the QB?

Then you still take Gostkowski and call it a day.

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DRAFT

and yes on draft day I wanted Williams, Jennings and Dumervil...

The O-lineman were 20/20 picks that simply made sense over trading up for the fool Jackson and waiting till rd 5 to get a RT

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse:
    [QUOTE]I don't care if we went 18-1 in '07... The '06 draft was hideous, as were the decisions that offseason DeAngelo Williams was the perfect back for us... We still had 1 year of Dillon, Williams was lightning quick, Dillon the pounder... Faulk the reciever and all everything guy... perfect Williams over Maroney would have been awesome
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

what about making it to the 2006 Championship game? Dynasty

2007 Dynasty

2008-2009 dynasty reloading

2010 We're back

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse:
    [QUOTE]I don't care if we went 18-1 in '07... The '06 draft was hideous, as were the decisions that offseason DeAngelo Williams was the perfect back for us... We still had 1 year of Dillon, Williams was lightning quick, Dillon the pounder... Faulk the reciever and all everything guy... perfect Williams over Maroney would have been awesome

To Quote Micheal Jackson-

You just got to be starting something

AND you are entirely full of it.  They Dynasty didn't end.  Division winners last year.  11-5 year before.  Superbowl the year before.  Thats a dynasty.  ANYBODY can pick the good players AFTER they played for 3 or 4 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

So we now have
    Oakland's 1st round pick in 2011
    Carolina's 2nd round pick in 2011
    Denver's 4th round pick in 2011

Think positive rameakap.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse:
    [QUOTE]It is not simply hindsight 20/20... otherwise I say we trade up to get Demeco Ryans and take Brandon Marshall in rd 4. Instead of Chad Jackson you stick with Jennings in rd 2, Florida WR's are always overhyped and HOW ON EARTH did he pass the Pioli/BB interview??? Rd 3 you trade up a few picks to get solid RT Eric Winston instead of trading the pick to get Chad Jackson and later taking bust Ryan O'Callaghan in rd 5. Rd 5 is not for starters. Address that spot before taking TWO backup TE's. MY GOD! Other rd 3 pick you could take Owen Daniels over David Thomas, whatever that is a toss-up based on whatb they both did in college. (Maybe just don't cut Thomas and sign Baker 2-3 years later) OR..... you can just KEEP DAN GRAHAM considering he was a great blocking TE who could make a clutch catch and that was exactly what we wanted from the position. If you keep Graham you can take OG Jahari Evans, the guy who just got the Mankins $ and who would have opened holes for Williams/Dillon and phased out the always injured Stephen Neal In rd 4, instead of the idiotic Garrett Mills pick, when you JUST DRAFTED THOMAS, maybe you take Elvin Dumervil, who was only a sack machine in college when he wasn't contantly double teamed and drew comparisons to Freeney but fell b/c of his size. Remember how we turned 6' Bruschi into a good LB? Didn't we just lose Willie Mac and need a hybrid OLB/DE who can get the QB? Then you still take Gostkowski and call it a day. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DRAFT and yes on draft day I wanted Williams, Jennings and Dumervil... The O-lineman were 20/20 picks that simply made sense over trading up for the fool Jackson and waiting till rd 5 to get a RT

This post is nuts! You actually acknowledge that you hear our incessant calls of "hindsight" and then proceed to make EVEN MORE hindsight observations! And then you say we should have kept Daniel Graham, who was made the highest (or second highest) paid TE in the league by the Broncos! Do yourself a favor: if you ever try to get a front office job with the Patriots, leave these posts off your resume.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Lets hope that next years draft is productive. OLB / OL / RB

I think we are close to having an elite team again. One more draft and perhaps bb and tb can win one or two more together. By the way, this year is not out of the question to win it all. The O is that good and the D (young) is fast and will be coached up by BB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse : what about making it to the 2006 Championship game? Dynasty 2007 Dynasty 2008-2009 dynasty reloading 2010 We're back
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Team re-loading, franchise re-loading, not the same dynasty

the Celtics won in 74 and 76 with 1 player from the 60's dynasty.. Havlicek... that is what the Pats will be like if they win again

I am not starting any trouble:-)

Just saying it would be two different dynasties... 01-07 was a dynasty, it would have been 5 in 7 with a better '06 draft (and keeping Dan Graham/Ty Law).

Only 3 players in 53 left from '01 and even only 18 players are left from '07.

Anymore rings and it is a new dynasty. I like our young perices molding with reliable tom A LOT.

Go Patriots!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CharlestonDude. Show CharlestonDude's posts

Ignore...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]So we now have Oakland's 1st round pick in 2011 Carolina's 2nd round pick in 2011 Denver's 4th round pick in 2011 Think positive rameakap.......
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah i am real pumped about that believe me

I am not as hurt about not having Asante or Seymour anymore

Had we molded great drafts in '06-'07 and '08 with the stalwarts from '01/'03 and '04 we could have won rings in '06 and '07. But after the Brady injury and 3 moslty blown drafts (forefeited pick killed '08) we have done nothing but have patience and make the right moves, lots of young talent and Brady will be good for years.

That '06 draft was just so ugly and we were so close 2 years in a row it is still killer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse : This post is nuts! You actually acknowledge that you hear our incessant calls of "hindsight" and then proceed to make EVEN MORE hindsight observations! And then you say we should have kept Daniel Graham, who was made the highest (or second highest) paid TE in the league by the Broncos! Do yourself a favor: if you ever try to get a front office job with the Patriots, leave these posts off your resume.
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan[/QUOTE]

If the team could truly not have afforded both Law and Graham I already said you can take Thomas or Owen Daniels. It prob would have just made more sense to sign a great blocker at bu TE.

but it made NO sense to waste both 3rd and 4th rd pick on bu TE's and ignore a position of need like the o-line (killed us in '07) and aging pass rush/CB and WR (killed us in '06) that moves like Dumervil/Law and Jennings over Jackson would have fixed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

RETROSPECT IS 20/20
    so S.T.F.U.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The next time somebody tells me who the busts are going to be before the draft will be the first time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Ignore...
    Posted by CharlestonDude[/QUOTE]

Oh would you look at that, 2 hours after this thread New England Sports Tonight runs a segment on the epic fail that was the '06 draft, the 1 player who we have left (Gostkowski) and the better RB's we should have taken

apparently people find this interesting and relevant

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse : Oh would you look at that, 2 hours after this thread New England Sports Tonight runs a segment on the epic fail that was the '06 draft, the 1 player who we have left (Gostkowski) and the better RB's we should have taken apparently people find this interesting and relevant
    Rameakap, let him ignore you and dont worry about it. Some of the people on this board want people hanged for saying anything. You give yo uropinion and they cry like little girls as if they have a better idea.

Truth is none of this matters, Bill Belichick last time I heard does not consult with this board for information. Now Randy Moss might, and after hearing him speak Im betting he does. You just keep writing my boy and if they dont like it, skrew em!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

Dumb thread. Like saying "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]So we now have Oakland's 1st round pick in 2011 Carolina's 2nd round pick in 2011 Denver's 4th round pick in 2011 Think positive rameakap.......
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

plus our own #1 and #2 and the other picks in the 3rd and 4th