Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Re: Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse

In Response to Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse:
    I don't care if we went 18-1 in '07... The '06 draft was hideous, as were the decisions that offseason DeAngelo Williams was the perfect back for us... We still had 1 year of Dillon, Williams was lightning quick, Dillon the pounder... Faulk the reciever and all everything guy... perfect Williams over Maroney would have been awesome
    Posted by rameakap

the dynasty will be over when bill and tom leave...  in past dynasties  championships spanned over years...  in this case some of the machine had to be retooled and now you are seeing the fruits of that labor... even if 06 was a bad year in the DRAFT... the draft is only one peice to team building...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse:
    In Response to Re: Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse : right and next years draft should eb incredible as well For once I want BB to use the 4th, 5th and 6th rd picks to move UP in the 1st and 2nd and get 5 impact players and at least 3 STARS and have them all arrive together... no more passing on Odrick or Clay Matthews to get a future 1st rd pick... despite how great th last 2 drafts have been we could have BOTH those guys and simply not have Brace, McKenzie and a future #2.
    Posted by rameakap

I'm not sure you can package any number of 4 5 and 6 round draft picks to get a first.  It's like saying how many Chevette's can I trade you for a Corvette?  there is no number of Chevette's worth a Corvette.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

He's too dumb. You are wasting your time.

Update:  Jared Odrick out at least 6 weeks with a fractured fibula.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Alright, rameakap, we get it - BB really soiled the sheets in '06.  I mean the guy clearly can't tie his shoes without help.  

Your clear and insightful hindsight is of enormous value and is much appreciated by those of us mere mortals who mistakenly think that you can't always hit on a draft pick. We long to rise to your level of second-guessing intolerance.  

Get a grip!  '06 happened and is over 4 years in the past (in case you've misplaced your calendar).  Your thread is a silly waste of space and having read through it, I regret that the time I spent in doing so is a part of my life I can't get back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

Who doesn't miss on players in the draft? Wasn't Jemarcus Russell the first pick overall in one of those drafts? Where is he?  

How do the past two Patriots drafts look?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse:
    Hindsight is always 20/20
    Posted by Wizardsjag

Tell me about it....this www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=ba061b02c6a0fa4e524f7162211782c0&plckUserId=ba061b02c6a0fa4e524f7162211782c0" target="_parent">rameakap guy is either Felger or a Felger wanna be......boohoo we had a bad draft one year.....

I will bet you he was drooling when we made our picks.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse:
    I don't care if we went 18-1 in '07... The '06 draft was hideous, as were the decisions that offseason DeAngelo Williams was the perfect back for us... We still had 1 year of Dillon, Williams was lightning quick, Dillon the pounder... Faulk the reciever and all everything guy... perfect Williams over Maroney would have been awesome
    Posted by rameakap

I think the deeper question here is, "Why is this on your mind today?"
    I can't think of anybody else in the world that is walking around pondering the '06 draft. How about last years draft and this years draft which have produced serious starters. I'm not getting this at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Maroney and terrible '06 draft was start of the dynasty collapse : I think the deeper question here is, "Why is this on your mind today?" I can't think of anybody else in the world that is walking around pondering the '06 draft. How about last years draft and this years draft which have produced serious starters. I'm not getting this at all.
    Posted by ewhite1065

You nailed it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

Posted by rameakap

Would Williams have fit in this system?  Don't assume he would have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

BTW, did ANY team in that 2006 draft really get a lot? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

That 01-08 dynasty is over. We havent won a superbowl in 6 going on 7 years. It would be a great feat to make another one but this is a whole other decade right now. 

Dominance as a team and a organization as a whole? That is still there but a dynasty that ended in 08 when Brady took a shot to his knee and the Pats missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I just read over at stampede blue that the Dolts have gotten rid of most of the players they drafted during that time span.

I have to wonder how many of the players the person that started this thread wanted would fit the Pats style of football. I mean McCourty has already proven to be better than Odrick at cornerback, Spikes is much better than Kindle. Keeping stone hands Watson? Is he for real? Hernandez is 2nd/3rd round talent? I seem to recall he was 1st rnd talent but smoked a little ganja and dropped. Just like someone else said this guys gotta be Felger.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Every team has bad drafts--even teams that put together dynasties.

2006 was really Belichick's only truly poor draft in New England.

The others have ranged from average to very good. Yes, I am including the drafts, like 2004 and 2007, in which they only drafted maybe 1 quality player, but also used picks to acquire players in trades (Dillon, Moss, Welker)--you can't grade an entire draft based only on the college players selected.

To expect a team to have a good or great draft every year in incredibly unrealistic.

There really have been four "dynasties" in the NFL since the post-merger Super Bowl era got started in 1970 (three or more Super Bowl wins in less than 10 years): Pittsburgh in the 70s; San Francisco in the 80s; Dallas in the 90s; and New England in the early 2000s.

Of those four dynasties, the Steelers had average-to-good drafts from 1969-73 and one legendary (4 hall of famers) draft in '74. After that, their drafts were just OK, but they did manage to find some helpful players in the draft after '74 which helped augment the stars that were already on the team (their final Super Bowl team in the 70s, 1979, actually had to rely on a lot of backups because of injury issues that year). But all in all, after they hit four homeruns with Swann, Stallworth, Lambert and Webster in '74, their drafts were about average.

The 49ers had two great drafts under Bill Walsh (1981, 1986), but otherwise they drafted just about the same way the Pats have drafted under Belichick: hit on some picks (Jerry Rice in '85, Roger Craig in '83, Harris Barton in '87, Bill Romanowski in '88), and miss on many others.

One of the great myths about the Dallas dynasty of the 90s is that Jimmy Johnson nailed all of his drafts. This is not true. He had a great draft in 1991 and a very good one in 1992, but otherwise, his 1989, 1990 and 1993 drafts were similar to Belichick's: hit on some picks (Aikman in '89; Emmitt Smith in '90; and some useful special teamers/backups in '93) and miss on many others.

Belichick's drafts, by and large, have followed a similar pattern.

He hit on Brady in 2000, but missed on just about everyone else

He hit it big with Seymour and Light in 2001, but can you name anyone else they drafted that year?

In 2002, Graham was the first rounder, and he disappointed, but other picks like Jarvis Green, Deion Branch and David Givens made up for it.

2003 probably was his best one, with Warren, the now-forgotten but very productive for a time Eugene Wilson, Asante Samuel, Koppen, and even Bethel Johnson helped them win some games on special teams.

In 2004 he hit it big on Wilfork, had a so-so pick in Watson, and traded the #2 pick for Corey Dillon--not a great haul, but not a bad one.

In 2005 he had a good draft: two starting offensive lineman on one of the greatest regular season offenses in history (Mankins, Kaczur), a safety who is still with the team (Sanders), a corner who was maligned, but decent, and who was also a great special teamer (Hobbs), a 7th rounder (Cassel) who helped guide them to an 11-5 record one year and then was flipped for a 2nd rounder the following spring, and a very good UFA signing in Mike Wright.

2006--bad draft, no question about it. But as I've pointed out, all teams have bad ones, even the dynasty teams, and this was really the only truly poor draft that BB has had here.

2007--Merriweather, Moss and Welker (you can't just ignore the fact that 2 of their top 4 picks were used to acquire those two receivers).

2008--Mayo is a keeper, obviously, and Willhite, Slater, Crable and Wheatley are still hanging around (Willhite looked pretty good on Sunday, actually). Again, not a great draft, but similar to the types of drafts that the other "dynasty" teams had most of the time. Hit on some, miss on most others.

2009 and 2010--the jury is still out, but the potential verdict is becoming clearer, and it looks like it's going to be a good verdict. Lots of players still on the roster and many of them are playing key roles and contributing.

The fact is that no dynasty lasts forever. The 49ers, because they had a great draft in '86 (with no first round pick, by the way), 5 years after their great, dynasty-making draft in '81, were able to push their dominance all the way through the end of the 80s after it appeared that their run was over (three months before that great '86 draft they had lost a playoff game to the Giants, 49-3).

Let's face it, would this thread even have been started if Samuel holds onto the ball that Eli threw right into his hands early in that Giants' Super Bowl-winning drive?

I don't think so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

06 turned out to be a bad draft but that has nothing to do with the dynasty.

How soon we forget the almost perfect 07 season or the bradyless campaign in 08.  Or the 1st round draft pick takaway.    The Pats have been quietly rebuilding this team piece by piece and have remained competitve on the field.

From what I can see this looks like a younger faster team and with the 2011 draft the remaining holes can be filled.

I see a very bright future and another super bowl win done the road just a bit.

dboss

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

NO.  The Dynasty ends when we have multiple years of NOT winning the division and making the playoffs.  When we become mediocre  THAT is when it ends.  And that is what makes me mad about your post.  You pretend we didn't have success just because we didn't win it all every time.  Most teams can even win it TWICE.  Not twice in a row, twice in a lifetime.  Its not over.  By a long shot.  

Sections
Shortcuts