Maroney for Larry Johnson?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Maroney for Larry Johnson?

How about Maroney for Larry Johnson straight up?  I think Larry is a victim of a bad OL and all around bad team in K.C.  But in NE, he could be the RB he once was.  He's 29 years old, so their is still plenty of gas in the tank.   We can talk about all the different ways to use Maroney we want, but the fact is he isn't the Power RB the Patriots need right now.  Why not trade him before he gets injured again.  Scott Pioli would jump at the chance to pick up another ex-pat.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Maroney for Larry Johnson?

If LJ really has something left in the tank and Pioli would be willing to make the trade, I'd do it. I'm just not sure LJ has much left. What I am sure of, though, is Maroney is a bust. Too bad, because I think he has great running ability, but he just can't seem to control his urge to step sideways before entering a hole. I assume BB holds on to Maroney because he knows if he could get him to make a more decisive first step into a hole he'd be a fabulous back. But he hasn't learned how to do that in years (he may even have regressed), so I think it's time to give up on him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

How about  Steven Jackson from the Rams? Maroney is from St. Louis.The R ams will be lucky to win a game this year,I believe Jackson has not been in any trouble with the law or team. He's younger than Johnson too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Nahh, we will get Fred Taylor back by the end of the year. What we need is a WR, T.O. should be our guy. Did anyone see what Braylon did yesterday? Imagine what an accomplished WR like T.O. could do for us. 

We have a stable QB and we know it's his team, T.O. won't challenge anyone in this locker room.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney for Larry Johnson?:
    [QUOTE]Nahh, we will get Fred Taylor back by the end of the year. What we need is a WR, T.O. should be our guy. Did anyone see what Braylon did yesterday? Imagine what an accomplished WR like T.O. could do for us.  We have a stable QB and we know it's his team, T.O. won't challenge anyone in this locker room.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

49, can't we ask for both a running back and a receiver? (But please, please, not Owens.)  Anyone remember why we didn't resign Jabar Gaffney? Why aren't we keeping guys like that? He couldn't have been demanding that much money was he?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BXBoston. Show BXBoston's posts

I'll take LJ for Maroney any day rumor has it TO might end up in Chicago before the trade deadline but I can't lie him with Moss on the other side Welker in the slot is scary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chriso825. Show chriso825's posts

Dumba**: Player for player trades don't happen in the NFL these days. What's next, Wilfork for Haynesworth? Brady for Manning?

In Response to Maroney for Larry Johnson?:
    [QUOTE]How about Maroney for Larry Johnson straight up?  I think Larry is a victim of a bad OL and all around bad team in K.C.  But in NE, he could be the RB he once was.  He's 29 years old, so their is still plenty of gas in the tank.   We can talk about all the different ways to use Maroney we want, but the fact is he isn't the Power RB the Patriots need right now.  Why not trade him before he gets injured again.  Scott Pioli would jump at the chance to pick up another ex-pat. Thoughts?
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WorcesterJack1. Show WorcesterJack1's posts

Frankly, I would trade Maroney for nice, thick ham sandwich on rye, with Swiss cheese and a spicy mustard.  Before you go after TO however, remember that there are only so many passes that can occur in a single game and trying to split those between Moss and TO would be a ropewalk.  The other issue is that if Light is out for any extended period of time, we have a rookie in that slot and may need to find someone who can help create time and space for Brady to throw at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

mmmm sandwich

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Keep Maroney.  Convert him to a WR.  His flaw as a RB - dancing - could help him gain YACs as a receiver.  He has good hands, is fast, knows the system, can break big plays. Even though he is not the main problme with the running game, he just is not cutting it as a RB. But he has other assets.

They still need another RB.  I will bet you that BB et al are searching for some cut/recently retired RB that would like to help the Pats and maybe get a ring.  However, the Pats better win next week or it will get harder to get those better options to come aboard.  I don't think they have to trade for a RB.  Morris is doing the best he can with that run blocking. Same with Faulk, who has always otherwise been a good runner.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

Picking up Taylor was lziness on the part of the Pats rather than getting another RB in the draft. Where was BGJE in the Denver game? What the hell are they waiting for?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gatech34. Show gatech34's posts

I agree about BJGE. Convert Maroney into a WR and put BJGE into the rotation.In Response to Re: Maroney for Larry Johnson?:
    [QUOTE]Picking up Taylor was lziness on the part of the Pats rather than getting another RB in the draft. Where was BGJE in the Denver game? What the hell are they waiting for?
    Posted by PuntonFirstDown[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

I'd take Fred Jackson if BB liked trading within the division.

But I've been saying for weeks....Maroney is a better receiver than he is a RB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Don't want Johnson or Owens . . .

but that ham sandwich sounds pretty good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Dumba**: Player for player trades don't happen in the NFL these days. What's next, Wilfork for Haynesworth? Brady for Manning? In Response to Maroney for Larry Johnson? :
    Posted by chriso825[/QUOTE]

So I guess Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis never happened then....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]How about  Steven Jackson from the Rams? Maroney is from St. Louis.The R ams will be lucky to win a game this year,I believe Jackson has not been in any trouble with the law or team. He's younger than Johnson too.
    Posted by dwhite1220[/QUOTE]

The only issue I have with Jackson is the fact that this guy has had major injury issues.  I don't believe Larry has had anything as serious as Jackson.  I don't watch many Rams games, but it just seems to me that Larry is more of that powerback or Dillion type back the Pats really need right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Nahh, we will get Fred Taylor back by the end of the year. What we need is a WR, T.O. should be our guy. Did anyone see what Braylon did yesterday? Imagine what an accomplished WR like T.O. could do for us.  We have a stable QB and we know it's his team, T.O. won't challenge anyone in this locker room.

Love too see T.O. join the team, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  In fact, I look at is as just a dream that will never happen.  But I think Taylor is pretty much finished as an NFL RB.  Even if he comes back it won't be at full strength.  Sammy and Maroney also both have injury issues. Don't be surprised if by Dec the Pats only have Faulk and BGJE(I really like) as their only RB's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston006. Show boston006's posts

Well I was Just Thinking that we needed to Trade Maroney for any-one with 2 feet that does NOT Dance... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Keep Maroney.  Convert him to a WR.  His flaw as a RB - dancing - could help him gain YACs as a receiver.  He has good hands, is fast, knows the system, can break big plays. Even though he is not the main problme with the running game, he just is not cutting it as a RB. But he has other assets. They still need another RB.  I will bet you that BB et al are searching for some cut/recently retired RB that would like to help the Pats and maybe get a ring.  However, the Pats better win next week or it will get harder to get those better options to come aboard.  I don't think they have to trade for a RB.  Morris is doing the best he can with that run blocking. Same with Faulk, who has always otherwise been a good runner.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

I'd much rather see the Pats pickup an actual NFL #3 WR than just experimenting with players at different positions.  Just look at Aiken, the guy should just stay on special teams. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 19andNo. Show 19andNo's posts

The only team that is going to take this bust off your hands and give you something in return is the Raiders.  Forget about the Larry Johnsons & Steven Jacksons those guys are light years ahead of Maroney and only a complete idiot would do a staright up trade.  Like I said contact your idiot of choice the Raiders. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Maroney for Larry Johnson?:
    [QUOTE]How about Maroney for Larry Johnson straight up?  I think Larry is a victim of a bad OL and all around bad team in K.C.  But in NE, he could be the RB he once was.  He's 29 years old, so their is still plenty of gas in the tank.   We can talk about all the different ways to use Maroney we want, but the fact is he isn't the Power RB the Patriots need right now.  Why not trade him before he gets injured again.  Scott Pioli would jump at the chance to pick up another ex-pat. Thoughts?
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Such a deal would be silly. Johnson is done...and is expensive. Maroney is younger and, currently, is the better player. The Pats' OL must do a better job at run blocking. Furthermore, the Pats need to design pass plays and screens to get Maroney the ball in the open field. 

Besides, what the Pats really need is a quality 3rd WR...not a RB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from earlWilson. Show earlWilson's posts

i saw edwards DROP a certain TD pass last ight, along with making a couple of nice catches. edwards is a head case, and just as often, can`t bring himself to play well for some reason. as far as TO goes...you`ve got to be kidding.

Sections
Shortcuts