MARONEY HAS 6 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

MARONEY HAS 6 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber?

this kid keeps running harder each week. throw a ball or 2 to him and he will be making even more contributions to the team. couldnt noticg a few commentators yesterday and recently have increasingly compared him to his old team mate, MARION BARBER of the cowboyz! cant help thinkg that on that 4th and 2, due to his size and desire, he would have gotten the 2 yards for a first. i like faulk but we over rely on him. he is best as an extra WR, but maroney should be thrown to more and used more on 3rd downs as the vikes now increasingly do with peterson!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Re: MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES...Is he the next Marion Barber?

I'm glad to see Maroney coming around, but i'm not ready to say he's the next Marion Barber. 

I hope Maroney can become a bit of a "pounder" and be able to wear defenses down through the first 3 quarters so they can chew clock in the 4th.  I like the guy and hope he turns into what he was supposed to be, but the jury is still out. 

However, he is making up for his pathetic performances over the past with the past couple weeks.  But his fumbling issue of late is a little concerning, but if it doesn't keep happening then it can be forgotten.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

He has to keep running hard to chase down his own fumbles.  Sick of seeing him put the ball on the ground!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Surely, this post is in jest....Maroney is the anti-Marion Barber.  I'm not willing to roll out the red carpet for Laura Maroney after he runs over his first player after several seasons.

Nice pic Medic!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Maroney has been scoring and running...unfortunately he's also fumbled two weeks in a row two. Barber has had some fumblitis too, be carefull what you ask for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

No Way!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Maroney has been lowering the shoulder all season and fighting for extra yards in a bland rushing attack. We run out of the same formations with Maroney every time, that is until late in the 2nd qtr we did a Faulk type draw and he bulled over Kerry Rhodes for the extra 1 yard. (12 yard run)

I know I keep saying this but when we give Maroney the carries he performs very well. Barber is one of a kind but I think maroney is more agile then Barber where Barber is straight power(although he does have moves). Straight Power rushers land on the injury list sooner or later. Ill take Maroney's quick feet and acceleration.

Who do you think has a longer career in front of them, Barber or Maroney???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES...Is he the next Marion Barber?:
    [QUOTE]Maroney has been lowering the shoulder all season and fighting for extra yards in a bland rushing attack. We run out of the same formations with Maroney every time, that is until late in the 2nd qtr we did a Faulk type draw and he bulled over Kerry Rhodes for the extra 1 yard. (12 yard run) I know I keep saying this but when we give Maroney the carries he performs very well. Barber is one of a kind but I think maroney is more agile then Barber where Barber is straight power(although he does have moves). Straight Power rushers land on the injury list sooner or later. Ill take Maroney's quick feet and acceleration. Who do you think has a longer career in front of them, Barber or Maroney???
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]
    agreed, Barber has some quickness in close quarters, but the top end speed is nothing to write home about.  Maroney has been running hard the past few games, and I was encouraged to see him running harder in the 4th than in the 1st, you always want to see that from a feature back.  The fumbling issues shouldn't be a long term issue, the guy has 3 fumbles to his name since his rookie year.  I'm happy to see Maroney playing well, but i'm sure I said the same thing towards the end of 07 and during his rookie year.  Let's see him run like this the rest of the year, then judgements can be made.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

In Response to Re: MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES...Is he the next Marion Barber?:
    [QUOTE]Maroney has been lowering the shoulder all season and fighting for extra yards in a bland rushing attack. We run out of the same formations with Maroney every time, that is until late in the 2nd qtr we did a Faulk type draw and he bulled over Kerry Rhodes for the extra 1 yard. (12 yard run) I know I keep saying this but when we give Maroney the carries he performs very well. Barber is one of a kind but I think maroney is more agile then Barber where Barber is straight power(although he does have moves). Straight Power rushers land on the injury list sooner or later. Ill take Maroney's quick feet and acceleration. Who do you think has a longer career in front of them, Barber or Maroney???
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE] i agree! he will outlast barber. bel has said in past that he has no beef with maroney for most of what he does is on his own and the result of bad to average blockg. accordg to bel, on most of the film he studies, holes are seldom ever open when this guy runs! like it or not, we are a pass first, second and third team. we just run nowadays as a change of pace or to catch the defense off balance when they have a passing defense package on the field.  yesterday was the FIRST time in a long while, when the pats lined up, announced the run against a run-stopping defense and were able to pund it down their throats thanks to MARONEY. if they did that more often, he would be mentioned as a top 10 RB! mark my words, if the pats do not resign him during the offseason, like watson, he will have a LONG line of suitors offerg to make him a featured back in a run-first set up.... like a pittsburgh or chicago!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Re: MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber?

L.M. is himself, he runs well if there is a hole. He is not very good at power running and making Cory Dillon-like human wakes of K.Oed tacklers. He did run hard yesterday. I would have prefered that he put a nice deek and spin move on Rhodes than trying to knock him over. Although that might be the only option at the time.
     I like Laurence Maroney. It was good to see him drop his shoulders and hammer a few defenders. I think also that he is not as shifty as some of the really good backs. Maybe he could get together with Wes and develop more foot work, quickness for elusiveness. He can get yardage if he gets past the LBers. I think the Pats should use more 2 back sets for him. In the colts loss on his fumble, the LBer had him ln sight and lined up all the way ,and there was no block on the same colts player who caused the fumble. Still NO EXCUSE for the fumble, 2 hands on a bearhugged ball and get down if you can not get into the endzone. Bounce it outside if possible, but don't loose the ball.
     I agree that he should be involed in more passing routes. If Ben Watson can beat LBer coverage , then certainly Maroney can. Instead of simply having him go straight up the middle 5 yds.after a run fake take the route up field or to the sidelines and get him into an open area. He does very well with some breathing room.
      This next one will be a great game to watch. Get to Brees and the Pats will Breeze.
     Go Pats
     Davidseattle

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I know Maroney is a way better dancer....we see it every week inthe backfield
    HIT THE HOLE!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

When Maroney runs well against the Saints, I'll give him his dues.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

In Response to Re: MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber?:
    [QUOTE]I know Maroney is a way better dancer....we see it every week inthe backfield HIT THE HOLE!!!!!!!!
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]
    Many times there is no hole. The Pats O-Line is not the best at run blocking I think. When there is a hole he is in it and he can take it a long way. But I think the blocking is the issue. He is not a FB. My Opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

He´s having a nice season, but he still have to prove he can run hard and stay healthy for at least a full season. Too many ghost around him, as he touches the ball y guess 70% of the Fans are holding their breath waiting for the worst...

I´m glad he´s starting playing better and feeling more and more comfortable.
    I think his best football is ahead of him, he is great in open field ¿Why no getting him involve in the screen pass plays?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber? : Many times there is no hole. The Pats O-Line is not the best at run blocking I think. When there is a hole he is in it and he can take it a long way. But I think the blocking is the issue. He is not a FB. My Opinion is as valid as anyone elses.
    Posted by DavidSeattle[/QUOTE]

Yes the blocking is not there but I think it has more to do with the scheme then the talent on the line. As you said earlier we announce the run and it is the same formation every time. We need to mix in some 2 back some draws some sweeps and counters.

Also anybody see the Levoir ( I think that is the spelling) crushing block he looks like a good run blocker although he got burned by Bart Scott who got a good hit on Brady

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

It's 17:34 on Monday night 11/23/09 and he still suckks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In Response to MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber?:
    [QUOTE]this kid keeps running harder each week. throw a ball or 2 to him and he will be making even more contributions to the team. couldnt noticg a few commentators yesterday and recently have increasingly compared him to his old team mate, MARION BARBER of the cowboyz! cant help thinkg that on that 4th and 2, due to his size and desire, he would have gotten the 2 yards for a first. i like faulk but we over rely on him. he is best as an extra WR, but maroney should be thrown to more and used more on 3rd downs as the vikes now increasingly do with peterson!
    Posted by choircontrarian[/QUOTE]

By your logic, Maroney should be the best RB in NFL history, since he's been in the NFL for 4 years.

How did he do against Indy the previous week?

He had a FAIR performance vs a depleted Jets defense.

This guy is a drag on the wheels of progress for the Pats. He's failed to show any consistency or reliabilty thoughout the course of a 16-game season for the Pats.

Entering the final (and most expensive) year of his rookie deal, Maroney will likely get cut after this season. He simply isn't worth the millions of dollars. His overall productivity during his time with the team doesn't justify his 2010 salary.

If BB keeps him, then I'll question his judgement.

I allready do, based on his insistence of retaining Dean Pees who's unit once again gagged in an important game vs an elite team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

He has 6 TDs in the last 5 weeks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

yup 6, at least 1 every game...

Maroney is ok, I wish that he'd get more screens and dance a little less. When Morris (and hopefully Taylor) come back and Maroney gets 10-15 or so carries at 3.5+ per that'd be great.

I still want to see us keep one of Taylor/Morris for 2011 AND use one of our top 4 draft picks on a RB. It'd be nice if C.J. Spiller slipped to us at the end of rd 1. He'd get to learn from Faulk for 1-2 years but be an instant impact guy running and catching.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Re: MARONEY HAS 6 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber?

The only problem with Maroney is that he's not a bowling ball. We need Morris or Taylor for that slam the line and push the pile for 2 yards play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Re: MARONEY HAS 6 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber?

the question of this post is "could he" not "is he" i think if he continues to run the way he has and our oline can create better running lanes then yes i think he could.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber? : By your logic, Maroney should be the best RB in NFL history, since he's been in the NFL for 4 years. How did he do against Indy the previous week? He had a FAIR performance vs a depleted Jets defense. This guy is a drag on the wheels of progress for the Pats. He's failed to show any consistency or reliabilty thoughout the course of a 16-game season for the Pats. Entering the final (and most expensive) year of his rookie deal, Maroney will likely get cut after this season. He simply isn't worth the millions of dollars. His overall productivity during his time with the team doesn't justify his 2010 salary. If BB keeps him, then I'll question his judgement. I allready do, based on his insistence of retaining Dean Pees who's unit once again gagged in an important game vs an elite team.
    Posted by CubanPete[/QUOTE] Thank you, thank you, thank you
    I totally agree with you on your assesment of each one of those individuals...If the team is going forward next year they have to lose the address of those two after the last game this year!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MARONEY HAS 5 TDS IN 5 GAMES... could he be even better than Marion Barber? : Thank you, thank you, thank you I totally agree with you on your assesment of each one of those individuals...If the team is going forward next year they have to lose the address of those two after the last game this year!!!
    Posted by flip781[/QUOTE]

I think your both suspect. That unit is not Dan Pees unit, it is Bill Belichicks unit. You are both going to question him. While your questioning Belichick and the Patriots I will be rooting for them to win the superbowl.(And watching them in the playoffs again)

Sections
Shortcuts