Maroney interview was VERY impressive.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImbDauwg. Show ImbDauwg's posts

Maroney interview was VERY impressive.

The kid seems to be a lot smarter than people give him credit for.

Steve Burton brought up the Walter Payton theory that great runners have to expect to get into the end zone on every carry. 99.9% of athletes would simply agree with that theory and talk about how great Walter was. Instead, Maroney expressed how that attitude may have been his problem at times in his career, as he was more inclined to try to bounce to the outside and see if he could break a big one, potentially losing yards in the process, rather than making the best of the play that was called and gaining the consistent 3-4 yards per play.

Hearing him speak it's easier to understand why the Patriots have stuck by him for so long, and why he's actually been able to make changes in his game recently. He actually can be coached, and he's willing to learn from his mistakes. 

Given his obvious physical gifts, that's a very good sign for his potential over the next few years. As frustrated as I've been by him at times, I'll certainly be pulling for him. He's one of the good ones.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Maroney interview was VERY impressive.

In Response to Maroney interview was VERY impressive.:
    The kid seems to be a lot smarter than people give him credit for. Steve Burton brought up the Walter Payton theory that great runners have to expect to get into the end zone on every carry. 99.9% of athletes would simply agree with that theory and talk about how great Walter was. Instead, Maroney expressed how that attitude may have been his problem at times in his career, as he was more inclined to try to bounce to the outside and see if he could break a big one, potentially losing yards in the process, rather than making the best of the play that was called and gaining the consistent 3-4 yards per play. Hearing him speak it's easier to understand why the Patriots have stuck by him for so long, and why he's actually been able to make changes in his game recently. He actually can be coached, and he's willing to learn from his mistakes.  Given his obvious physical gifts, that's a very good sign for his potential over the next few years. As frustrated as I've been by him at times, I'll certainly be pulling for him. He's one of the good ones.
    Posted by ImbDauwg

Or, maybe, Maroney gives himself more credit than he deserves. First, how can he even compare himself to a HOF running back at all? He isn't even close to being one.....injuries or any legitimate excuses aside. If he has actually analyzed what his "problems" are - has his changes improved his game?  I don't know.

Is he torching the league yet? Is he running like his former teammate Barber? Dunno....I haven't seen it yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Wow, that's really impressive.  We should have him out there giving interviews every week while the real football players are actually trying to move the ball toward the enemy endzone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Normally have supported Maroney in the past, but this offseason found myself asking why? I agree it was smart to keep him this year because of cap friendly number he has and had stated that on here before the season, but RB is probably the easiest position in the NFL to adjust to. Too often rookie RBs come in and play extremely well. I think we cut ties with him in the offseason when his contract is up.

It seems to me the best run games in the NFL have three backs. One bruiser and one shifty guy with breakaway speed. The third guy is the wildcard depending on what your other two are good at. If neither can catch you go find a 3rd down back who can catch and block. If the first two can do that you find an all-purpose type, one that can do everything when asked and fill for the other two when needed. He probably won't be the best back but efficient enough for his low cap number.

Sections
Shortcuts