Maroney is running better should we run it more?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dshort3333. Show dshort3333's posts

Maroney is running better should we run it more?

With Volmer, Mankins, and Connelly playing center the Patriots have had a lot of success running the ball lately. They are much bigger and appear batter at run blocking than the Light, Mankins, Koppen combination. And now Ornhberger is taking snaps at guard too. So with a healthy and pissed off Maroney running behind these guys should we run it more ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Re: Maroney is running better should we run it more?

yes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

much more. atleast 25-30 times a game and with that work out u can expect on seeing 125+ yd games put up by maroney

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Maybe I missed something here, but don't we still have Tom Brady at QB? And Maroney running it "better" got us 77 yards on 22 carries with 1 fumble. His 2 TDs were of the punch-it-in variety. I realize that by running it more you can restrain the pass rush a bit, but I'm not convinced that you can pick up the first downs with Maroney the way you can with Welker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney is running better should we run it more?:
    [QUOTE] Maybe I missed something here, but don't we still have Tom Brady at QB? And Maroney running it "better" got us 77 yards on 22 carries with 1 fumble. His 2 TDs were of the punch-it-in variety. I realize that by running it more you can restrain the pass rush a bit, but I'm not convinced that you can pick up the first downs with Maroney the way you can with Welker.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

HAVE TO RUN. We have the best Play action pass QB maybe in the history of the NFL. Run Run Run and then kill them with the PA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Run with Fred; pass with/on Maroney.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Run with Fred; pass with/on Maroney.
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

You mean Drop Dead Fred?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

the patriots have been pretty balanced this year.  that being said, it would have been nice if the colts had to worry about the patriots running on 4th & 2. everyone and their grandmother knew the ball would be in bradys hands.

also i dont like how people assume fred taylor will come back from his injury and pick up right where he left off.  same with morris.  if/when they return maroney is still our best option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE] Maybe I missed something here, but don't we still have Tom Brady at QB? And Maroney running it "better" got us 77 yards on 22 carries with 1 fumble. His 2 TDs were of the punch-it-in variety. I realize that by running it more you can restrain the pass rush a bit, but I'm not convinced that you can pick up the first downs with Maroney the way you can with Welker.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Do you know anything about Football? You have to run the ball to protect the passing game. And as much as I hate Maroney, you have to give him a salute for putting up 77 yards against the fourth best rushing defense in the league. Running more makes the second half go by faster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

at least go play action more instead of the empty backfield. wonder what their passing stats are in the play acton vs empty backfield.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

[QUOTE]at least go play action more instead of the empty backfield. wonder what their passing stats are in the play acton vs empty backfield.
    Posted by rabbrandy[/QUOTE]

interesting article about the Pats operating out of the spread... http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/news/story?id=4622773
    I tend to agree about play action, I'm not an O coordinator but effective play action tends to pull up an LB or Safety creating an open player for Brady to throw to. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Maroney is running better should we run it more?:
    [QUOTE] With Volmer, Mankins, and Connelly playing center the Patriots have had a lot of success running the ball lately. They are much bigger and appear batter at run blocking than the Light, Mankins, Koppen combination. And now Ornhberger is taking snaps at guard too. So with a healthy and pissed off Maroney running behind these guys should we run it more ?
    Posted by dshort3333[/QUOTE]

Maroney's performance should have little to do w/ how often the Patriots should run.  The Patriots should run it more because 1) they tend to win more games when gaining 100 + yards a game, and 2) Because it helps our passing game
    3) Can help control the clock

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]at least go play action more instead of the empty backfield. wonder what their passing stats are in the play acton vs empty backfield.
    Posted by rabbrandy[/QUOTE]

I would tend to agree w/ you. When nobody is in the backfield - teams know we are passing. Play action plays, and WR movement, and mis-direction plays should be part of our offensive playcalling.

At times, the Patriots' offensive play calling has been called "conservative" and "unimaginative".....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Agree the Pats need to run more, but Maroney has been mostly disappointing.  I keep waiting for him to establish what he showed flashes of in his rookie year--a true breakaway threat who could gash defenses for big chunks of yardage.  I hope he proves me wrong, but so far, Maroney is a mediocre NFL back.  He couldn't carry Curtis Martin's jock. If Sammy Morris gets healthy, feed him the ball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to Maroney is running better should we run it more?:
    [QUOTE] With Volmer, Mankins, and Connelly playing center the Patriots have had a lot of success running the ball lately. They are much bigger and appear batter at run blocking than the Light, Mankins, Koppen combination. And now Ornhberger is taking snaps at guard too. So with a healthy and pissed off Maroney running behind these guys should we run it more ?
    Posted by dshort3333[/QUOTE]

DS3,
    Run blocking doesn't appear to be the Patriots strong suit. With the advent of Moss and Welker to the lineup, the opportunities to run the ball aren't prolific. The end result being less opportunities to improve on an area which needs help.
    This argument took a hit when Faulk ran for almost 80 yards on 9 carries or so a couple of games ago. Which led a number of Maroney bashers to state: if Faulk can do it on limited carries, why can't he?!
    I watched with interest Maroney's reaction after having fumbled in his last game and I did see flashes of Marion Barber Jr. I don't know if this renewed focus/pissed off running style is from from soul searching or constructive criticism he's received. But we need to see that from him the rest of his Patriots career. 
    He has the talent and size, now he needs to add the will to get it done consistently and weekly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nmb106. Show nmb106's posts

49Patriots

According to NFL.com, the Jets rank 17th defending the run. They have fallen off since the loss of Kris Jenkins, so understandably, people feel there are yards to be gained on the ground against them now.

Maroney's two fumbles these past two weeks are out of character (only one in his whole pro career prior to this), so I'm not going to get on him about that just yet.

He showed against Miami that he is capable of making solid yardage against a stout run defense, but he is still a little inconsistent week to week.

Agreed that we have to make teams respect the fact that we can run the ball, but I think we're setting it up just enough for Brady to find his receivers with regularity now (although that's not the only factor in our passing game starting to click). I have no complaints on the overall production of this offense after Week 11, so the balance looks ok to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

YES!  With the bad weather around the corner, we need to get into a rythem with the running game, instead of trying to turn it on when the weather gets bad.  Plus, Brady is on of the best at PA!

Maroney has been running a lot harder.  I loved it last week when he dropped his shoulder and ran Rhodes over instead of trying to dance around him.  He is starting to show some toughness.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I had access to NASA's computers yesterday and ran the numbers.  Here is what HAL 9000 predicted if Maroney had 25 carries in a game.

1)    2
    2)    3
    3)   -2
    4)    0
    5)    6
    6)   -1
    7)    2
    8)   10
    9)    0
    10)  5
    11)  4
    12)  -2
    13)  0
    14)  1
    15)  4
    16)  6
    17)  0
    18)  0
    19) 14
    20)  2
    21)  4
    22)  -3
    23)  1
    24)  2
    25)  6
    ------------

And the Patriots lose.  You can't argue with that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WoburnPaulie. Show WoburnPaulie's posts

K-maxxxxxxxxx : )   The Pats win it all this year my friend!  They wil beat the Saints 31-24!!!

I have to agree with Bubba - "At times, the Patriots' offensive play calling has been called "conservative" and "unimaginative"...with the exception of going for it on 4th and 2 btw, a call I agree with to this day! Revenge will be ours against the Colts in the playoffs. The Pats OWNED them that game and will again!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Maroney has undercheived but the reality is also that the O Line does not block nearly as well on run plays as it does on pass plays. Maybe if they blocked like Brady was the running back all of them could get more yards. They will run more once Morris comes back and plus bad weather and home games will dictate more running as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I would like the Pats to stay a balanced team and work on the run more so when we need to grind out a game we can.

Go Pats!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

aren't Welkers YAC numbers some what part of the running game with all the WR screens?
    I would like to see the ball in Maroneys hands more, how about a screen pass? Do the Pats run the draw with anyone other than Faulk? 
    Give Maroney 22-25 touches tonight...Morris 12-15 touches....Faulk 8-10 touches...Pats run the ball efectively 45 times they will win. Saints O-line can be pushed around 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]aren't Welkers YAC numbers some what part of the running game with all the WR screens? I would like to see the ball in Maroneys hands more, how about a screen pass? Do the Pats run the draw with anyone other than Faulk?  Give Maroney 22-25 touches tonight...Morris 12-15 touches....Faulk 8-10 touches...Pats run the ball efectively 45 times they will win. Saints O-line can be pushed around 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Agreed, all the way.

Sections
Shortcuts