Maroney Needs to go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3860569. Show user_3860569's posts

Maroney Needs to go

I'm not saying Maroney is a total bust, but I think we need to upgrade with a younger faster back. Two Red Zone fumbles two games in a row is unacceptable.
    The one against the Dolts was costly. Either way Maroney hasn't lived up to his expectations and we need a big time upgrade at running back any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Maroney Needs to go

Maroney will probably be re-signed.  It doesn't make sense to give up on a young RB when the others you have are showing their years.  I believe Belichick likes him as well.  The draft will have some RBs there for the Pats to look over.  It is an area that we do need to get younger at.

You can forget Ronnie Brown.  He isn't going anywhere.

I'm not so sure we can lay the blame of our rushing woes totally on Maroney.  Any of the RBs we have seem to get stuffed at the line.  I don't know if it's the blocking scheme or type of blockers we have that is the problem.  Perhaps it's a combination. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

He needs to go, he has benefited from the OL's good play.  If you watch him he is still dancing around the hole.  There are some good backs coming out this year and the Pats can pick one up with one of their 2nd round picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think they re-sign Maroney AND go after a young back in the 2010 Draft, below is a list of possibilities.

Lead Backs
    Jonathan Dwyer- Georgia Tech (6-1 235) JR*
    Charles Scott- LSU (6-0 235)
    Keiland Williams- LSU (5-11 220)
    Ryan Matthews- Fresno State (5-11 220) JR*
    Toby Gerhart- Stanford (6-1 235)
    Ben Tate- Auburn (5-11 220)

Change of Pace Backs- If Faulk isn't re-signed
    Noel Devine- WV (5-8 176) JR*
    Dexter McCluster- Ole Miss (5-7 170)
    Joe McNight- USC (6-0 190) JR*
    Armando Allen- ND (5-10 200) JR*

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Maroney isn't the only running back who dances or hesitates but that's no recommendation. Unfortunately, with the recent fumbles, he's beginning to remind me of ( yuck ) Blair Thomas. Potential doesn't win Super Bowls.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't think he gets signed, because he's a RB he's still going to be a higher cap hit than he's worth.

What I would like to see if BGE is get more carries and get his opportunity to shine.  The kid has shown a lot of potential, if he catches on fire he will be the back of the future with BB drafting a situation type player in the draft. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

3 Fumbles in 538 career touches sure isnt to bad. Yes they have come in back to back weeks. But remember when everyone wanted Faulk's head cause he couldnt hang on to a ball in his early years? How did that work out? Maroney is fine he isnt great but he isnt horrible either. The unfortunate part is Maroney is the Patriots JD Drew. People are all over him because he was a first round pick and isnt Andrian Peterson. Much like people are on JD for being paid 14 million a year. Is it JD's fault Theo overpaid for him? No. Now is it Maroney's fault he was a 1st round pick? No that was BB and the front office's fault. The truth of the matter is he has found the end zone 6 times in 5 weeks. He seems to have a knack for getting the ball into the end zone on goal line situations.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney Needs to go:
    [QUOTE]He needs to go, he has benefited from the OL's good play.  If you watch him he is still dancing around the hole.  There are some good backs coming out this year and the Pats can pick one up with one of their 2nd round picks.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Lol, this is about the most stupid and idiotic post I've ever read on ANY site.
    The O-line play and the run game go hand in hand, you cant have one without the other. At the beginning of the season the o-line was just flat out awful and now that they're doing something they have a run game.

Did anyone see him plow over Kerry Rhodes that last game? he should be resigned on that play alone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkulacz. Show mkulacz's posts

Given his production, Maroney will not get big money anywhere. He is a victim of not enough rythym, and a OL that isnt a great run-blocking line. Mankins is the only starter who is really good to run behind, the rest are still too young. When Maroney is given a hole, he hits it as powerful as anyone in the leage. Maroney's issue is that he needs to stop thinking and just be more instinctive. There is no time to ponder where to go once you get the ball. Maroney's best years may still be ahead of him, and he may actually wind up being incredible value given that his salary isnt going to be that high.

BTW, I too like watching Law Firm run, he is a gritty kid, but its not like he is racking up big yards this year either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

This is the most sensible course of action provided Maroney is not too expensive.

[QUOTE]I think they re-sign Maroney AND go after a young back in the 2010 Draft, below is a list of possibilities. Lead Backs Jonathan Dwyer- Georgia Tech (6-1 235) JR* Charles Scott- LSU (6-0 235) Keiland Williams- LSU (5-11 220) Ryan Matthews- Fresno State (5-11 220) JR* Toby Gerhart- Stanford (6-1 235) Ben Tate- Auburn (5-11 220) Change of Pace Backs- If Faulk isn't re-signed Noel Devine- WV (5-8 176) JR* Dexter McCluster- Ole Miss (5-7 170) Joe McNight- USC (6-0 190) JR* Armando Allen- ND (5-10 200) JR*
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think he gets signed, because he's a RB he's still going to be a higher cap hit than he's worth. What I would like to see if BGE is get more carries and get his opportunity to shine.  The kid has shown a lot of potential, if he catches on fire he will be the back of the future with BB drafting a situation type player in the draft. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]I saw bjge get some carries the last couple of weeks,and saw him mostly go backwards.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think he gets signed, because he's a RB he's still going to be a higher cap hit than he's worth. What I would like to see if BGE is get more carries and get his opportunity to shine.  The kid has shown a lot of potential, if he catches on fire he will be the back of the future with BB drafting a situation type player in the draft. 

If Maroney isn't the answer BJGE definitely isn't the answer.  He's a one trick pony at best (a "hard running" short yardage back with little upside), he hasn't shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and he certainly doesn't have breakaway speed.  He could provide some decent depth, but IMO, he's certainly not the back of the future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]He needs to go, he has benefited from the OL's good play.

RESPONSE: What games have you been watching? The Patriots' OL is average at best at run blocking.

If you watch him he is still dancing around the hole.

RESPONSE: What holes? Most of the time the guy gets hit behind the line of scrimmage. You'd dance too if you had an unimpeded 300 lb. DT or 250 lb. LB on you like white on rice. 

There are some good backs coming out this year and the Pats can pick one up with one of their 2nd round picks.

RESPONSE: RB is not a major need. An edge pass-rusher, OL upgrades, and  WR appear to be the Pats' main needs.  

I'm getting sick and tired of reading attempts on this forum to cast Maroney as a scapegoat. The Pats did not lose to Indy, Denver, and the Jets because of Laurence Maroney. They lost to the Jets and Denver primarily because their offense was shut down in the second half of those games. They lost to Indy because they tried to sit on their lead...and because their defense could not stop the Colts' hurry-up offense. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Needs to go :      I'm getting sick and tired of reading attempts on this forum to cast Maroney as a scapegoat. The Pats did not lose to Indy, Denver, and the Jets because of Laurence Maroney. They lost to the Jets and Denver primarily because their offense was shut down in the second half of those games. They lost to Indy because they tried to sit on their lead...and because their defense could not stop the Colts' hurry-up offense. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

What are you doing bringing facts and rational thoughts here? Its all Maroney's fault they lost, along with the national debt, unemployment, the war on terrorism, gas prices. God I just wish Maroney would go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Needs to go :      I'm getting sick and tired of reading attempts on this forum to cast Maroney as a scapegoat. The Pats did not lose to Indy, Denver, and the Jets because of Laurence Maroney. They lost to the Jets and Denver primarily because their offense was shut down in the second half of those games. They lost to Indy because they tried to sit on their lead...and because their defense could not stop the Colts' hurry-up offense. 

Good post Tex...  the run blocking has been sub par in the past few weeks and Bill Belichick said so in the press.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Texas,

Thanks for taking care of this response. I am growing tired of educating "fans" about our rushing attack. I don't think any of them realize that Corey Dillions 2004 year was an anamolly. We use the run to establish play action. We are a passing team as is almost every team in the league.(Except for the teams without a great QB and they don't do either very well) Our run blocking is not great. Maroney is working hard and running well. What is the issue?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Exactly...Alot of frustration gets taken out on LM, but to get a 100plus yrd runner every week that avg around 11-12cpg(not a exact stat) is pretty tough to do.  Also, TB is averaging 300ypg, so I would think its tough to have a 100yrd rusher every week and a QB that passes for 300ypg.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

[QUOTE]Maroney will probably be re-signed.  It doesn't make sense to give up on a young RB when the others you have are showing their years.  I believe Belichick likes him as well.  The draft will have some RBs there for the Pats to look over.  It is an area that we do need to get younger at. You can forget Ronnie Brown.  He isn't going anywhere. I'm not so sure we can lay the blame of our rushing woes totally on Maroney.  Any of the RBs we have seem to get stuffed at the line.  I don't know if it's the blocking scheme or type of blockers we have that is the problem.  Perhaps it's a combination. 
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

He is Belichick's love child and can do not wrong in the eyes of his master.  I actually blame Belichick for failing to upgrade running back position which has been an ongoing problem going back to 2006.  I am tired of Maroney's indecisiveness and inability to see the field, an old and broken Fred Taylor and an injury prone Sammy Morris.  Faulk has been outstanding and Benjie G-E remains an outsider in favor of the underachiving Maroney. 

Belichick has had sufficient opportunity in the past 3 years to draft or sign a stud runner as a free agent and has, instead, put his trust in Maroney who is unlikely to fufill his promise as a 1st round draft pick.  Belichick is to blame for the mess at running back for sticking with Maroney and not bringing in quality replacements by free agency or the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UPSTATENYPATSFAN. Show UPSTATENYPATSFAN's posts

Hey TexasPat3,
       Where is your picks and game of the week thread this week??? I always look
    forward to seeing it and this is a short work week and I thought you might have itg out by now.
    I am going to The Pats/Bills game Dec. 20th in Buffalo and then on back to Mass. for a Christmas vacation to visit with family and friends back there for a few weeks, can't wait! Big, Big Game this coming Monday Night!?

GO PATS!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fessin. Show fessin's posts

Fans forget the Kevin Faulk also had a fumble problem in his first few years in the NFL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dshort3333. Show dshort3333's posts

Maroney is not the problem and if you watch the jets game you would see him "dancing around lineman and linebackers on a few plays. The guy is a powerful, explosive running back who has yet to be worth the first round pick because of injuries, (bone chips in his shoulder during his first two years and playing with a broken shoulder in week two didnt help last year)and we also have a very predictable running game. We pass first (almost 70% of the time and have offensive lineman better suited to do that), and run to offset the pass rush every now and then. Brady is arguably the best QB ever and I cant blame them for thowing more with a guy like that but if you want to extend his career and save his arm you need to run it more during the game. We have a vanilla running attack and we dont use our tight ends often enough. This offense could be completely unstoppable if it were less predictable and kept teams off balance. I belive Maroney is a great back and could be our feature back in a balanced attack and NOW is the time to find out by giving him a fair shot (more runs and more creative runs) because if he is not we have alot of really good draft picks over the next two years to use on one and the veterans are getting older.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]Fans forget the Kevin Faulk also had a fumble problem in his first few years in the NFL.
    Posted by fessin[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you count 2005 among his first few.  He's the one who started the turnover debacle in Denver.  If he hadn't fumbled there, Pats would have kept the ball until the end of the half, probably scored at least a field goal, Broncos wouldn't have gotten that TD followed by Hobbs fumble, then the team wouldn't have been so anxious and turned it over again 3 more times.  By the way, 2005 was the worst rushing year this team has had in the current era, don't know why people are saying the problem started in 2006.

And let's not forget Faulk tipping the pass for an interception against Indy in 2006 on our game tying drive - if not for that, we score a TD, beat Indy, and don't have to play them in their dome that year in the playoffs. 

And let's not forget Faulk can't make a clean 2.5 yard catch!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Needs to go : If Maroney isn't the answer BJGE definitely isn't the answer.  He's a one trick pony at best (a "hard running" short yardage back with little upside), he hasn't shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and he certainly doesn't have breakaway speed.  He could provide some decent depth, but IMO, he's certainly not the back of the future.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

At the end of last season he was given most of the carries with all the injuries and he delivered.  He's getting maybe 8 carries a game, not enough to get anything going.  I'm only saying giving a chance this season and see what you have, he made the team even though there were another 4 backs ahead of him.  he's in his second year, if he proves to be a good one we can use a draft pick on another need.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney Needs to go : At the end of last season he was given most of the carries with all the injuries and he delivered.  He's getting maybe 8 carries a game, not enough to get anything going.  I'm only saying giving a chance this season and see what you have, he made the team even though there were another 4 backs ahead of him.  he's in his second year, if he proves to be a good one we can use a draft pick on another need.

Maroney dances because there is no hole. Maroney is much stronger and more explosive than the Law Firm - it is not even close - watch them run and it is obvious who is who. Maroney needs some blocking. Why could Maroney run on the Fins and Jets late in the game but not earlier?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

This title is bad for this thread, cause I agree that at the END OF THE SEASON we need an upgrade however saying that Maroney "needs to go" in teh middle of a season with no one to replace him is down right stupid.

Sections
Shortcuts