Maroney: Ready to go to work?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Maroney: Ready to go to work?

"I'm working hard and feeling good," he said. "Whenever somebody counts you out, you want to show them they're wrong.”

Thats what I want to hear out of Maroney, i want to see that fire. Maybe fans doubting him is exactly what he needed to get going. I am not holding my breath but he sounds like he gets it and knows this is the year he needs to break out. He is looking at this the right way and wants to prove us wrong and thats a good start. Lets just hope he backs it up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from grego84. Show grego84's posts

Re: Maroney: Ready to go to work?

This is Maroney's make or break year but i'm excited for him.  His head is in the right place and it seems he's using his detractors words as motivation to prove his worth.  There will always be cynics but don't call for the guy's head just yet, this year will decide if he's a bust or not...i'm staying positive on Lo-Mo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I'm staying positive on SLO-MO too!
    I'm positive that he'll dance around behind the line for 6 games then hit the injured list and spend the rest of the year on the sidelines.

I hope that I'm wrong but this is Maroney that we are talking about and he's shown more bust that productivity in my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

"I'm working hard and feeling good," he said. "Whenever somebody counts you out, you want to show them they're wrong.” Thats what I want to hear out of Maroney, i want to see that fire. Maybe fans doubting him is exactly what he needed to get going. I am not holding my breath but he sounds like he gets it and knows this is the year he needs to break out. He is looking at this the right way and wants to prove us wrong and thats a good start. Lets just hope he backs it up.
    Posted by MVPkilla

The problem has never been his attitude. Attitude does no good if you get injured every season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from grego84. Show grego84's posts

he missed three games in 06 and two games in 07...i wouldnt say that's missing a whole lot...BB shut him down last year because he obviously needed serious treatment on a busted shoulder...he doesnt need to be an adrian peterson, all he needs to do is carry his weight in the patriots running back-by-committee system...900 yards rushing would be fine next year...get his confidence back up and move on from there

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Smack is fine, and whatever motivation Maroney needs to take from his "detractors" is all well and good, but I will believe his head is in the right place the first time I see him hit a hole -- or better yet, attack the line of scrimmage even if there isnt' a hole. I hope he's put his nagging injury history behind him and can be a force for the Pats this season.

I also hope I win the lottery.

Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I am not holding my breath but greg makes a good point he does not need to be a 1000 yard rusher on this team he just needs to not get hurt and rush for like 700 or 800 or 900 yards. Thats would great considering he shares the load.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

He only needs to be a solid contributor, not a feature back like Peterson. 800 yrds coupled with 20-25 pass catches would be ideal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

if Maroney Gets 15 touches a game and averages + 4.5 yards per carry and he last the whole season he will hit 1080 yards for the year

this also means Taylor who will see the bulk of the rest of the carries but has one of the best ypc of anyone in the NFL will hit roughly 1000 yards

what this also means is that the patriots will have to convert Sammy Morris or BJGE to fullback because neither one of them will be seeing the ball when you consider the fact that Kevin Faulk runs about 5 to 10 delayed draws a game

that means the running back by committee would be a little over crouder by my estimation and you do not pay 33 year old soon to be hall of fame backs 2.5 million a year to ride the pine

something has to give in order to make this work there really only needs to be a three back system... So either Sammy Morris OR Maroney are out if they do not bust heads this pre-season... Sammy Morris can be a special teams stud so my guess is that Maroney is going to get a lot of reps in the pre season and if he shows well he will be dangled for bate

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts it would be Christmas every day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Sammy Morris wont be  cut loose, wont happen. He was the best back on the team last year and he is a very solid all around back, he can plat ST, full back and HB. Taylor wont crack 1000 yards and neither will Maroney and Morriss will get his carries some way trust that. we barely use full backs so i doubt we will miss Evens that much. All though if Maroney and Taylor both broke 1000 yards i would go crazy! I love the running game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

didnt we hear maroney say the same exact thing the year before?im sure he does work hard in the off-season,but his technic isnt right.maybe fred taylor can help him out this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

This is just Maroney being Maroney.  He's said the same things in the past.  I'll believe it when I see it Laura.  Man up, shut up and carry the rock.  Make me a believer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

I think Laura will be dancing with the stars very soon. Maybe if Jason Taylor signs here he can show Laura some new dance moves for his 2nd career.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Why do I get the feeling that even if he comes out and kills it this year half of you will still be sitting here acting like he s ucks? If he has a good year then to me that proves that when he is healthy he is a good back and it is that simple. He was great his first year sub par his second year and then at the end of our 16-0 run he was a beast and in those playoffs he was sick and then last year he got hurt so that means in 4 years he has had two good years and two bad years when he was hurt so give the guy a chance to prove himself before you write him off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I am pulling for Maroney. No doubt he can burn. It's obvious with shoulder injuries you are not going to hit the hole like before. I think if he gets those first few hits without flinching, he might be over the dancing behind the line. He's got the skills and looks the part. It would be HUGE if Maroney is 100% along with Taylor and Sammy. They could wear any team down and be fresh the whole game. God, I love to see a good running game. I've always fantasized about a John Riggins type back that rumbles and thunders his way to 120 yards or more a game. Riggins was a joy to watch run. If this running game clicks like it can, look out. It would open Brady's passing game to a new level. Whoa! 

Don't discount Julian Edelman either. If he can contribute, this would blow the offense wide open. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

yea last year we rushed for over 2000 yards so he can only help that number if he is healthy and runs with some toughness.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

and if he dosent.there still is taylor,and morris.plenty of depth for someone to pick-up the slack if needed.with the running by committee a runner can have a bad week to where the other can play well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I hope he excels and rushes for 2000 yards but this dude has been trending down since day 1.  I can't get excited by words (talk is cheap).  Game 1 will be make or brake.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

exactly we are set up so that if Maroney falls on his face we can continue to run the rock.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from campp. Show campp's posts

"I'm working hard and feeling good," he said. "Whenever somebody counts you out, you want to show them they're wrong.” Thats what I want to hear out of Maroney, i want to see that fire. Maybe fans doubting him is exactly what he needed to get going. I am not holding my breath but he sounds like he gets it and knows this is the year he needs to break out. He is looking at this the right way and wants to prove us wrong and thats a good start. Lets just hope he backs it up.
    Posted by MVPkilla

as much as people still think that BB is a 'defense first'  head coach, he has put together a group of running backs that may work out to be a tremendous  NFL accomplishment when it is all said and done. imo maroney is an intregral part of that group.  i`ve included the following 'big-five', sammy morris, fred taylor, kevin faulk, laurence maroney, benjarvus green-ellis. IMO this is truely a great group of running backs that should serve the pats offense very well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Maroney is fine but I hate the Taylor signing.  He's 33 years old.  Hopefully he will stay healthy and he can be our 4th quarter back ala that big guy we got from the Raiders last year.  But Taylor and Morris are both too old and injury prone.  I don't know why they took Vrabel's cap savings and gave it to this guy.  I know, in BB we trust, but the Taylor move s*cks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Speedyrpm. Show Speedyrpm's posts

Maroney is just doing the bare minimum that he has to do to stay in the NFL and keep get that big pay check.   He is not  dedicated to playing football for anything but money!  He isn't a team player and he never will get anywhere near being a NFL star never mind an NFL super star.  He just does the absolute minimum to keep that big paycheck coming .... nothing else.  Look at the films of his performance during games, with very few exceptions he spends more time running lateral to the line of scrimmage or toward the sidelines then he does up the field toward the opposing team.  He just doesn't have the heart to be a really good NFL runner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Maroney is fine but I hate the Taylor signing.  He's 33 years old.  Hopefully he will stay healthy and he can be our 4th quarter back ala that big guy we got from the Raiders last year.  But Taylor and Morris are both too old and injury prone.  I don't know why they took Vrabel's cap savings and gave it to this guy.  I know, in BB we trust, but the Taylor move s*cks.
    Posted by themightypatriots
    well if taylor cant do it the pats can sign this guy.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0-9-91/Followup-on-Alexander-and-older-running-backs.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think the Saints should kick his tires. He could be the thicker guy to throw in the mix with Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush.

I honestly don't see NE grabbing any extra backs at this point, unless it is an H-Back/FB type player. But I am still unsure of the situation with Kettani, and whether or not he can actually play in the NFL.

They have about every possible role covered. While it would have been nice to see a Faulk-student added, from what Reiss says that could be a role filled by Edelman? I am aware that he has been taking reps at WR. But Reiss threw it out there. Considering they both ran about a 4.5 40 and had good hands I wonder if he could get a shot that way? 

Sections
Shortcuts