Maroney Should Have Been a Dancer part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

Maroney Should Have Been a Dancer part II

"Fame" is looking for a good dancer! Might as well because he can't run!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Maroney Should Have Been a Dancer part II

Leave Baloney Maroney, alone. 

It's not easy to perform when you have Bust written all over you. He might learn a thing or two from Fred Taylor, though. They seem to have the same build. Maroney can't be a powerback in the NFL, but if he can be a RB that hits the holes and just keeps moving his feet he might find success. He has to change his game. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I'll keep him and his 4 yrd avg thanks...

He's cheap, he's young... just stay on the damn field.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

In Response to Maroney Should Have Been a Dancer part II:
    "Fame" is looking for a good dancer! Might as well because he can't run!
    Posted by donspartucus
    Maroney is afraid !!! He has not been the same back since he was running in tandam with Corey Dillon in his rookie season...He was hurt hitting the hole .....when he was met by a linebacker and had a chest injury...HE WAS OUT 4 OR 5 WEEKS and has  never been the same back ...
    Occasionally he would get into the secondary untouched and then he would run amuk against the defensive backs but thats when the dancing started....He is always hurt cause he doesn't play full tilt ....He was and is a wasted roster spor ....Get rid of him !!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The real culprit: PLAY-CALLING

I think a lot of people just see results and don't look a little deeper for the explanation.  They see a run for no gain and Maroney holding the ball.  They don't stop to look at the blocking, blocking scheme, and play call to realize that Maroney isn't the only one responsible for making the running game work.

What I saw on Sunday was a runner who could produce when given the opportunity.  I also saw a HUGE flaw in the play-calling for him.  When Maroney is handed the ball, there's a good chance that it's a stretch play, a downhill run with zone blocking where it's up to the running back to decide where and when to cut it up the field.  Unfortunately, the line doesn't always/usually do a very good job of opening up holes for Maroney, and I think this is in part because they call this play for him too many times.  They also very rarely run counter plays from the same set.  It's painfully obvious what's going to happen when Maroney is on the field and is handed the ball, and this isn't entirely (or even mostly) his fault.

Watch the film.  You'll see.

When Maroney was handed the ball and told to giddy up and go, he took the ball up the middle for 4-6 yards.  Even on the downhill plays, he still got productive runs on half of them.  I just think they call those too often without running counters regularly enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

When Brady starts hitting his passes at a higher rate, the possibility of a play action pass will also serve to keep defenses from loading up too much on Maroney and you should start seeing better results.

I thought Taylor got the benefit of running in more passing situations and against more off-balance defenses (maybe 7 in the box, but shifted away from the run) who didn't know where the play was going.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

We have a comparison here.  Maroney vs. Taylor.  There is a defendant difference here.  I don't think that Maroney is adding up at this time.  He still seems uncertain where he's going with the football where Taylor bangs it up the middle.  Right now I don't know if he's with the Pats next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

When Maroney plays he is effective if given the ball.  But I'll admit he's looking really soft and not at all durable.  Expected more to this point. Enough with the ticky-tacky injuries.      

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Rythm is a Dancer....Maroney can dance, but can he play tough football??  I think not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney Should Have Been a Dancer part II:
    In Response to Maroney Should Have Been a Dancer part II : Maroney is afraid !!! He has not been the same back since he was running in tandam with Corey Dillon in his rookie season...He was hurt hitting the hole .....when he was met by a linebacker and had a chest injury...HE WAS OUT 4 OR 5 WEEKS and has  never been the same back ... Occasionally he would get into the secondary untouched and then he would run amuk against the defensive backs but thats when the dancing started....He is always hurt cause he doesn't play full tilt ....He was and is a wasted roster spor ....Get rid of him !!!!!
    Posted by flip781

I remember that game well.You could hear the impact all the way up to Norwood. I would like to see Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis playing second fiddle to Taylor with Faulk continuing his 3rd down role. Sammy Morris in more of a fullback role (which I believe he is already) and Maroney as a emergency reserve dancer.... I mean running back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

OK, lets give odds on his longer term prospects with the team. I give him 3:1 of Arizona being his next destination.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

Fred Taylor has 4.6 yds./carry on 38 attempts,Maroney has 3.6 yds./carry on 20 attempts.That's all I got to say about that.

Sections
Shortcuts