**Maroney Traded to Denver**

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: **Maroney Traded to Denver**

In Response to Re: **Maroney Traded to Denver**:
    [QUOTE]BB is loading up to get an OLB or RB now...... not later, our new #4 and #1 from raiders will get one of these real soon!
    Posted by sae123[/QUOTE]

What RB is worth that price? Steven Jackson??? He's got a ton of mileage on him...and is worth a second rounder, tops.

What available stud OLB is worth that price? I can't think of any who is available. 

The Patriots want to get young. They desperately need to add a stout 3-4DE...or a Willie McGinest/Lawrence Taylor/DeMarcus Ware type OLB/DE. That's what they'll use the Raider pick for...assuming that it turns out to be a top 10 pick. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reegz04. Show reegz04's posts

Is it now too soon to hope to god that Oakland does bad this year and Ingram Goes into the draft??? Wishful thinking I guess...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Smart move to trade Maroney, since he didn't look like he was going to contribute that much this year and at least the trade allows us to get something for him. Let's just hope Fred Taylor can last the season, because without him, the Pats don't really have a top-notch tailback type.  Morris and BJGE are more situational pound-it-up the middle guys, while Faulk is a third-down back.  If Taylor does get hurt (which seems to happen almost every year), it will be interesting to see if BB goes with Morris and BJGE, promotes James from the practice squad, or picks someone else up.  

I think BB prefers to use a more explosive guy like Taylor early in the game as an offensive running threat to balance our passing attack, then if we have the lead in the second half, switch over to the Morris/BJGE type to eat up clock. So I think the traditional tailback still has a role in our offense. We'll just have to see if Taylor can last the season in that role or whether we'll be picking someone up to replace Maroney later in the season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I think it was a good move but I question the timing. They had the entire off/pre season to address this and didn't. Maybe if they had Mankins would be signed right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFCMal. Show SFCMal's posts

[QUOTE]Great.  My guess is a 3rd in 2012.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Maroney and our 6th rd pick in 2011 to Denver for their 4th rd pick in 2011

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think maroney was given a long leash to prove he was a feautre back.  Then he got hurt a lot, fumbled a lot last year, and was generally a disappointment for a 1st rd. pick.  I've heard a few ex-Pats say on the radio that he didn't always play hurt.  Not a bad back, but certainly not all that was hoped for when they drafted him. 

Anybody hear of a corresponding roster move now that Maroney is gone?   Murrell back?  They have a roster spot, figured they would use it.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbrew46. Show bostonbrew46's posts

Man I love this trade! I know Taylor and Morris are injury prone but we still have Jarvis Green. Do you guys really think Maroney would have sacrificed his body to take a hit for Brady like Fred Taylor did Sunday? No. Love this trade. Think we ll go after someone in the draft? I mean Raiders didnt exactly look...good Sunday. Big things for the Pats this year. Love them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorUpside. Show majorUpside's posts

Belichick Genius: Moss Press Conference A Distraction ---- Trade Maroney.  Maroney was gone at the end of this season anyway, and perhaps a deal would have happened before the end of the season anyway, but when the Moss BS dominated the headlines and took away from a glorious week 1 victory, BB decided this would be perfect timing. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

[QUOTE]Man I love this trade! I know Taylor and Morris are injury prone but we still have Jarvis Green. Do you guys really think Maroney would have sacrificed his body to take a hit for Brady like Fred Taylor did Sunday? No. Love this trade. Think we ll go after someone in the draft? I mean Raiders didnt exactly look...good Sunday. Big things for the Pats this year. Love them.
    Posted by bostonbrew46[/QUOTE]
    not to be a stickler... but its benjarvus green-ellis. not jarvis green

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Maroney got a bad rep from fans. He was running more north south the last year and running hard. I think the bigger question is why only a 4th rounder (and the Pats having to throw in a 6th at that). And I think the answer is that BB uses a different equation than many to evaluate worth to the team.

1. Roughly one half the offense plays use Kevin Faulk - or no back at all.
    2. The rest of the time it is back by committee. The best Maroney would do was to get 50% of those plays and in fact with Taylor, Morris and (a somewhat overrated by fans) Green-Ellis, he would get less. Even saying he would get 40% of those plays that leaves him with 20% of the plays - when he is healthy. He has never played a full season. So assuming he is available for 75% of the games he ends up with 15% of offensive plays.
    3. He does not play on any special teams packages. He had been a good kick returner but with Tate and others behind him - like Slater - he had no role on special teams at all.

All this adds up to few plays on the field even when producing.

4. He had never made a name for himself in doing some of the detailed things that the best Pats players do.

So while he still has some real potential to be a dangerous and even well rounded running back BB's equation, I suspect, leaves him looking like a very very underperforming player on the roster. In this light a 4th rounder looks good.

And then there is the question of were they wanting to open a spot on the roster and they felt this was the best value they could return when faced with needing to drop someone for a person as yet unknown (Kazur, Mankins?!, Jarvis Green DE, someone else...).

I will not be sirprised if Maroney ends up delivering more value elsewhere. I do believe the fans in general had him wrong. But clearly BB was not seeing reasons in practice to put him on the field more than 10-15% of the offensive plays and no apparent value on special teams.

Maybe the coaches were half hoping he would step up and ask to be used on as many special teams packages as they could try him out in. For all we know maybe he did. But he wasnt playing. And now they are thinner at the position but have another draft pick in the next draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Dear Broncos fans,

Get used to plenty of this in your backfield:

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Frankly, I think Belichick holds onto some guys too long. Bill Parcels would have moved on with Maroney a year ago. If a player "doesn't get it" after repeated opportunities Parcel cuts the cord! So I think this was a good move by Belichick but only a long time in coming. Maroney's stock had dropped and teams like Denver would only part with a 4th rd pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Pats will sign Javarris James off the practice squad...James was the last cut of Colts...he will see playing time once Taylor or Morris or Faulk is injuried...he is a fringe talent, but did rush for 2k yards for Miami...he is a good blocker and can catch the ball...not like his brother...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from barcolounga. Show barcolounga's posts

I think ultimately that Maroney wasn't the brightest bulb on the christmas tree. Too stupid to pick up the subtleties of Bills offense. Put him out in a field and watch him run WOW. Put him on the field and watch him run, not what we're looking for.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Wonder how LM feels having been surplanted as the #1 RB by an older guy who is near retirement?  You think this will result in his gaining an attitude " I'll show BB and the Pats I AM good!"?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]I think ultimately that Maroney wasn't the brightest bulb on the christmas tree. Too stupid to pick up the subtleties of Bills offense. Put him out in a field and watch him run WOW. Put him on the field and watch him run, not what we're looking for.
    Posted by barcolounga[/QUOTE]

Watching him run was frustrating...it appeared he would make a cut, take a block, read a hole for decent yardage...but he was always behind him O line pushing them, I can see your point...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Eddie Royal  on LM “He was a first-round pick, so you know he can play.”

-----That's what the Patriots thought and hoped for

“He’s a heck-of-a talent,” said wide receiver Jabar Gaffney, who played with Maroney in New England. “He’s a great running back, can hit it inside, has speed to get outside and can do great things out of the backfield catching the ball. He’s a real good talent; just have to get him caught up.”

---
    LM hitting the inside?  Not very often!  I seem to remember more drops out of the backfield than catches

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-maroney

Sections
Shortcuts