Maroney transition???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

Maroney transition???

The most surprising improvement in the Patriots this year for me has been the play of Laurence Maroney.....Whether Ivan Fears or Bellicheck has finally got to him or whether he sees this as his contract year I don't know.... What I do know is that he is running great the past 7 games or so on a consistant basis...If we had a more knowledgeble and experienced Offensive Coordinator he could take more advantage of this transition....I was one of the most critical detractors of Maroney and his dancing tecnique at the start of the season but I must admit he seems to have gotten past that part of his career......I no longer feel the urgency to draft a running back in this next draft....Offensive line should be the priority and after that defensive speed from the edge... whether it be linebacker or defensive end......If we do well in those area I beleive you'll see the same transition in the team as we seen in Maroney...Right now we are a good team to be feared...............................
    With those concerns satisfied in the draft we'll be back to Elite team status !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Re: Maroney transition???

Please note: Last yr in his contract.  He is running for the Dough!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dshort3333. Show dshort3333's posts

I think they resign Maroney to a smart incentive laden contract. In my opinion he is a great back who was injured in first few years here and just needed to be healthy and given the chance to show what he can do. Our offensive line was originally built to pass protect (first with Bledsoe then Brady). It seems that the o-line is blocking a lot better with the addition of Vollmer in both passing and running situations. Maroney was a beast in college and was injured for most of his first four years in the pros. Credit to Belichick for being patient and sticking with him. I think Maroney will reward Bill's faith in him and sign a reasonable deal. So i guess I'm saying "no" he isnt running for a contract he is running for his team. And I hope he gets to keep running for them right into the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I saw Maroney on Patriots today and talked about his new outlook on running and wanting to do the hitting instead of being hit and punishing defensive players. I was glad to hear it and see it on the field.

Go Pats!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Maroney signed a 5-year contract in 2006.  This is not his last year.  We have one more season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Maybe it's because he's finally healthy.  Either way, we should look for his replacement in this year's draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

It's all part of the Maroney two-step:  skip about the first half of the season, do your job the second half.

The only part of him that never stops running is his mouth. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from falline. Show falline's posts

In Response to Maroney transition???:
    The most surprising improvement in the Patriots this year for me has been the play of Laurence Maroney.....Whether Ivan Fears or Bellicheck has finally got to him or whether he sees this as his contract year I don't know.... What I do know is that he is running great the past 7 games or so on a consistant basis ...If we had a more knowledgeble and experienced Offensive Coordinator he could take more advantage of this transition....I was one of the most critical detractors of Maroney and his dancing tecnique at the start of the season but I must admit he seems to have gotten past that part of his career......I no longer feel the urgency to draft a running back in this next draft....Offensive line should be the priority and after that defensive speed from the edge... whether it be linebacker or defensive end......If we do well in those area I beleive you'll see the same transition in the team as we seen in Maroney...Right now we are a good team to be feared............................... With those concerns satisfied in the draft we'll be back to Elite team status !!
    Posted by flip781

I agree on Marony. He has been meeting and discussing the RB position with BB every week apparently it is helping...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I mean no disrespect to anyone here But:

Just because the slop today taste better then yesterdays slop that doesn't make it Filet Mignon.

There are 22 better RB in the NFL.  This guy suc ks.  He has sucked and will continue to suc k.  Just because he's sucking a little less then before means nothing.  He is one of the problems with our offense and will never be a solution.

Sorry, but those are the facts and that's how I feel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney transition???:
    I mean no disrespect to anyone here But: Just because the slop today taste better then yesterdays slop that doesn't make it Filet Mignon. There are 22 better RB in the NFL.  This guy suc ks.  He has sucked and will continue to suc k.  Just because he's sucking a little less then before means nothing.  He is one of the problems with our offense and will never be a solution. Sorry, but those are the facts and that's how I feel.
    Posted by K-max

I'm with you K-Max. I said in a post earlier on this week that when (or if) Fred Taylor comes back healthy we will see what we really want in a running back and Fred Taylor is past his prime. Morris still hits the line and the holes faster than Maroney does and Morris isn't all pro caliber either. I think Maroney is improved this year but we can do better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

7/28/2006: Signed a five-year, $8.735 million contract. The deal includes $6.13 million guaranteed and $70,000 in easy-to-earn incentives. 2009: $600,000, 2010: $825,000, 2011: Free Agent

No way he don't play for us next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emiliosCA. Show emiliosCA's posts

He's shown some improvement - most noticably in consistency. He's not a great RB, yet to prove he's a good RB, but he's given us a running game.  Wish I were looking at tapes right now, but to be fair how great has the blocking been for him?  Unless he just can't find a lane on the fly, I will give him the benefit of the doubt for recently resorting to a "jam it down their throats and through their guts" approach.  Realistically, he has provided us with much-needed offensive identity this season, he's committed, and he can and will be kept on the team because he's done a lot.  He's not a premiere RB, but his utility cannot be denied at this point of the year.

Sometimes I like this team because we don't constantly have a player's face pasted over it (...except brady's...) like the case in MN or TN.  Fleshing out the running game is a good idea, and hopefully it will come sooner than the draft when taylor returns.  If you want some power RB and constantly scoff at maroney with a glass half empty mentality, go find another team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezadude. Show rezadude's posts

BB is getting this kid ready to trade next year. This is all about getting return on investment. Ditto for A Thomas although his value is virtually nil at this point

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

I was at the head of the class when it came time to bash Laura Maroney  and although I will now refer to him as Larry,I still won't call his supposed turnaround complete.He has run more effectively lately especially around the goal line,but there is definitely much room for improvement. He still dances a lil too much for my taste ,but I have noticed a more Marion Barber like approach to his making contact with defenders.Now if his other nut happens to drop before the playoffs,He might further change my opinion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Still not a Maroney believer, sorry.  He gains most of his yards early in the game and still resorts to running into the back of his OL in the 2nd half.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Nothing has changed with Maroney except the number of carries he has gotten and the perception of some posters here...

If anything, the harping by the media/fans has made Maroney worse this season, he has fumbled more in trying to be "tough" when he probably should have just laid down.

When healthy Maroney (or rather Bill Belichick) has always increased his carries late in the season.  It's the same thing he did in Corey Dillon and Antoine Smith's final seasons and I think it's a philosophy he has adopted permanently.  Keep your best back healthy for the playoffs, use up the cannon fodder first. 

If you don't think BB has always had an eye on the future, both in terms of Maroney's health and ability to resign him to a friendly contract, with the way he has handled his career thus far than you haven't been paying attention or are just clueless to dynamics of the the salary cap. 

I have a strong feeling that when BB signs him to a long, mid range contract (which I'm sure will start multiple Maroney hating threads here) you will see Maroney play his best football and he will reach his full potential.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Flip, I remember having a discussion on Maroney months ago. It seems you have drank the kool-aid. I have said it before RB is the easiest position to learn in the NFL. It is 10% film study and 90% instinct and reaction. Year after year the leagues best backs get drafted and then they fade into oblivion. It all depends on the OL. That goes for both run and passing game. You want a good offense? I'll let you in on a little secret. Hogs. Great big fat guys who can stop pass rushers and open up holes in the run game is the key to winning football games.

Sections
Shortcuts