Maroney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostOfLombardi. Show GhostOfLombardi's posts

Re: Maroney

This is one of the funniest discussions that seems to keep coming up.  Laurence Maroney has proven himself, when healthy, to be a quality lead running back in the NFL.  His career avg per carry is 4.3yds.  He has one fumble in over 440 touches.  With 2000 total yards over 30 games, he has a significantly greater work sample from which to draw a conclusion.  Green-Ellis showed promise, but to put him in the same conversation as Maroney is laughable.  Barring any major surprises, Maroney will be getting every opportunity to become and remain the feature back this season. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: Maroney:
    [QUOTE]how often do we see a 1,000 yrd rusher on our team?the way the pats system is with brady,its throw first,and then run.plus just recently we started seeing 1,000 yrds receiving with the additions of moss,and welker.with the ball being passed around to all the receivers,we are fortunate to see a 1,000 yrd receiver,let alone two!you wont see any te,s post up big numbers for sure,so the watson bashing is crazy,for his numbers are not bad with brady.running backs by committee wont put up high numbers either.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

The Watson bashing isnt due to lacking high numbers, it is the key drops on very catchable balls.  If he grabbed all his opportunities, I dont think we would mind, it is those easy balls that drive us nuts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]If he does that thing one more time where he runs up to the line, comes to a complete stop and looks around before being tackled, cut him. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

This behaviour drives me crazy (as I imagine it does most Pats fans), but Maroney balances this with flashes of brilliance in the open field. The Pats need to get Maroney in space. The guy is useful, but since he's been hurt he clearly doesn't like to crash the line. I'd like to see him catching screens and running delays this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The idea isn't to see if Maroney can be the starting back; play the full season.  Rather, it's to win games; get back in the hunt.  Either, Maroney will be contributing as the season unravels or he will not.  No bother.  Fortunately, the team has plenty of backs.  The running game will be a factor with or without any single player.

I sincerely, doubt that BB will stick with an ineffective back for very long- not with plenty of options.  Maroney's past is checkered; he's often ineffective and injurred.  Hopefully, he won't hide any injurries for the sake of trying to remain in the gaim and as an active member of the Pats.  I'll give Maroney 4-5 games before he's either (collectively) outplayed and/or on a list other than active.

Had the Pats put their chips on Maroney, they never would have acquired so many new backs, simply put.  What team wouldn't have stopped betting on him at this junction?  Surely, the Pats have seen their share of "great promise" WR's and RB's in the past 5-10 years?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostOfLombardi. Show GhostOfLombardi's posts

[QUOTE]Had the Pats put their chips on Maroney, they never would have acquired so many new backs, simply put.  Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

And yet they drafted Maroney when Corey Dillon had just put up club record numbers. 

...Had the Pats put their chips on Dillon, they never would have drafted Maroney, simply put...

Teams need depth.  Maroney, F Taylor, Morris and Faulk are significantly better in terms of depth than:  A. Smith, JR Redmond, Pass, Faulk...but even then...we knew that Pokey Smith was the lead back...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WarriorAssassin. Show WarriorAssassin's posts

[QUOTE]more screen passes to him . . . Kevin Faulk has been great, but he's no spring chicken . . . Maroney should take a lot of notes and help fill this role
    Posted by SouthSt[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Maroney is a back with open field skills and speed. Maroney is not a run and bang through the hole type of runner. He's doesn't have the build as Corey Dillion. Dillion was a beast and was hard to bring down. I say use Maroney as more of a "Faulk" type option and I believe he would make a huge impact.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

This is a what have you doen for me lately league and thats why so many of us are quick to write Maroney off. I for one have loved this kid since college and I really do think that if healthy he can be our best RB this season. We need to start passing him the ball he is great on those little dump off plays. And let him return kicks! he is so good at returning kicks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

We have Chris Taylor now!  We don't need Maroney.  If it weren't for Taylor's injuries he would have posted great numbers in his career.  Taylor hits the hole hard, and if there is no hole, he makes one.  Last year, he ran over Urlacher like he was a rag doll.  BB is smiling behind closed doors right now.  We got a sleeper and he knows it.  I can't wait to see how our opponents get taken by surprise when Taylor is on the field.  All of their attention will be on Moss and Welker and then WHOP, Taylor breaks one and marches into the end zone.  Of course, this post is just BS.  Just breaking up the day with a dry humor post.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Wow someone is big on Taylor lol lets see if he even makes the team first huh?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antleite. Show antleite's posts

Maroney's time with the pats is definitely coming to an end soon. He hasn’t really put together solid consecutive seasons to even give the pats the sense of obligation to keep him long term. I would say this is probably a make or break season for Maroney and splitting time with the RB depth is going to be a challenge in itself. If Maroney can add some versatility to his game (i.e., increase his receiving stats, see some action at PR/KR, and show better blocking ability) aside from what he brings to the table he may just find a niche on this team for at least a few more years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]We have Chris Taylor now!  We don't need Maroney.  If it weren't for Taylor's injuries he would have posted great numbers in his career.  Taylor hits the hole hard, and if there is no hole, he makes one.  Last year, he ran over Urlacher like he was a rag doll.  BB is smiling behind closed doors right now.  We got a sleeper and he knows it.  I can't wait to see how our opponents get taken by surprise when Taylor is on the field.  All of their attention will be on Moss and Welker and then WHOP, Taylor breaks one and marches into the end zone.  Of course, this post is just BS.  Just breaking up the day with a dry humor post.  
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

CMON!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Maroney:
    [QUOTE]Could this guy be cut? He did not look good against Philly, is fragile, and has to compete with many other backs on the roster. I know Taylor and Morris are old, but if he continues to struggle, they could always sign a back like Warrick Dunn or Edgerrin James to replace him.
    Posted by bosox2398[/QUOTE]

I was pissed when we passed on D. Williams in the draft and took this plow horse. Imagine if we had a big, quick, 1,600+ yard rusher back there?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney : The Watson bashing isnt due to lacking high numbers, it is the key drops on very catchable balls.  If he grabbed all his opportunities, I dont think we would mind, it is those easy balls that drive us nuts
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Does anyone fear that Watson could be one of those guys who you draft high, nurture, he never comes around....so you trade him cheap and he blossoms somewhere else?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]If he does that thing one more time where he runs up to the line, comes to a complete stop and looks around before being tackled, cut him. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

He learned that from watching film of Hershel Walker, his boyhood idol. Same thing...drives me crazy too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]Another Trollish Thread from the bosox.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

Excellent

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]Maroney is a bum. He should be on Dancing with the Stars. The Pats should have traded him this off season. His YPC isn't indicative to how he has played. He has compensated many 1-3 yard carries with a 15 yard scamper opened up by a dominant OL. He's got the tools, but he is so afraid of getting hit that plays timid. And to the "maroney will break out this year" fan club, we've been saying it before. Sometimes you gotta cut your losses. And he's HAD WR's the past two years.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

I agreed 100% with this. He runs like Franco "Where are the sidelines?" Harris did in his final year at Pittsburgh. Very overrated.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WarriorAssassin. Show WarriorAssassin's posts

You guys are over looking Maroney's strengths. He is a quick light footed runner, fast and evasive in the open field. I have always liked Maroney for this. Yes his injuries have plagued him. Hitting the hole, finding the hole and gaps is not his strengths. Put him in a receiving type back mode, sweep plays, punt returns and I think you guys will sing a different tune. I always felt that he is being utilized in the wrong way but hey, I'm just a fan not a coach and these are just my observations.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

[QUOTE]You guys are over looking Maroney's strengths. He is a quick light footed runner, fast and evasive in the open field. I have always liked Maroney for this. Yes his injuries have plagued him. Hitting the hole, finding the hole and gaps is not his strengths. Put him in a receiving type back mode, sweep plays, punt returns and I think you guys will sing a different tune. I always felt that he is being utilized in the wrong way but hey, I'm just a fan not a coach and these are just my observations.
    Posted by WarriorAssassin[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this, he has the speed to get to the edge on sweeps and when he gets out in open field the defense is in trouble.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney : I agree with this, he has the speed to get to the edge on sweeps and when he gets out in open field the defense is in trouble.
    Posted by Irkillendem[/QUOTE]

Not to mention Maroney for his career has averaged 4.3 yrds a carry and has 12 rushing tds and 1 receiving td in just over 2 years while mostly splitting time. I would take that kind of production form a split time back all day long. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Maroney:
    [QUOTE]Could this guy be cut? He did not look good against Philly, is fragile, and has to compete with many other backs on the roster. I know Taylor and Morris are old, but if he continues to struggle, they could always sign a back like Warrick Dunn or Edgerrin James to replace him.
    Posted by bosox2398[/QUOTE]

NFW he gets cut. But, its do or die time for Mr. Maroney.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WarriorAssassin. Show WarriorAssassin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Maroney : NFW he gets cut. But, its do or die time for Mr. Maroney.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

yeah I think so too. but splitting time with the other back might do him a world of good as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maroney : Does anyone fear that Watson could be one of those guys who you draft high, nurture, he never comes around....so you trade him cheap and he blossoms somewhere else?
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard[/QUOTE]

Not really. Watson is a guy that has awesome skills but he is an underachiever. He is the football equivilent of Keith Foulke. I don't think he cares. Not to mention if the Pats get a 2nd and 6th rounder for him lets say then you do that deal.