Marqise Lee is there at #29...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Marqise Lee is there at #29...

... do you take him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Marqise Lee is there at #29...

I would say no but I would have to see who is still on the board.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I would take him if he was there. If he were to come out last year he prob would have been a top 5 pick. We should take best available athlete at 29. There will be a few guys to drop. I'm starting to think Lee will be there. I also like Shazier and Hageman. But I think Lee will be special.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I would.  I know it isn't a huge need, but I think the value becomes too much to pass.  I know some people are a little bit down on him due to his mediocre season last year, but we must remember that USC as an offense was very subpar.  Watch Lee in 2012.  He was considered a top 5 pick after that season.  Of all of the WRs, I think that him or Cooks would fit the best in NE.  Lee could be special.  He is a tremendous route runner, catches the ball well, and shows surprising strength.  Watching him live, I thought his game had a little bit of Terrell Owens in it.  I know he isn't that big, but he plays like it sometimes.  I think he is among the most underrated players in this draft.  If he slid to 29, I would be thrilled with the pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

The value is too great. I would definitely do it but I would still see who is around first. If he slipped, I wonder who else did too.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

It all depends...If there is a talented DE/OLB who can rush the passer, like Ealy, I'd take him...or Nix....Lee will be very good, but if you need a WR more than help on defense, grab him...like I said, it all depends.....and it will change almost everyday until we reach the draft...I'm perfectly willing to wait to see what BB does as the rounds go by on draft night #1, even if that includes dropping back once or twice, which I think very well could happen...there is a ton of talent that can help this team both immediately and in the future in rounds 2-5, even 6.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It all depends...If there is a talented DE/OLB who can rush the passer, like Ealy, I'd take him...or Nix....Lee will be very good, but if you need a WR more than help on defense, grab him...like I said, it all depends.....and it will change almost everyday until we reach the draft...I'm perfectly willing to wait to see what BB does as the rounds go by on draft night #1, even if that includes dropping back once or twice, which I think very well could happen...there is a ton of talent that can help this team both immediately and in the future in rounds 2-5, even 6.

[/QUOTE]

They need to get CJ some help.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I would personally take Lee over Ealy or Nix.  More of a sure thing, IMO.  I agree that BB would probably love to trade back and acquire another pick or two, but I don't think we find a team willing to trade with us this year.  I don't think there will be much motivation for anyone to give up valuable mid round picks to move into the 29th slot.  I bet we pick in the 1st Round this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I would personally take Lee over Ealy or Nix.  More of a sure thing, IMO.  I agree that BB would probably love to trade back and acquire another pick or two, but I don't think we find a team willing to trade with us this year.  I don't think there will be much motivation for anyone to give up valuable mid round picks to move into the 29th slot.  I bet we pick in the 1st Round this year.

I'm not so sure...This is a year to grab cheap talent and build depth...don't forget, the equivalent of three rounds of talented underclassmen came out this year because the min. length of contract for rookies increases by one year next draft due to the last CBA. Since the avg career is less than the current length of the rookie contract, anybody who had a hope of reaching that first big gaurenteed post rookie deal is in this draft...next year will be bleak in terms of talent in comparison...so the time for team building is this year, not next..all teams will realize this and talent poor teams will reach for guys they normally wouldn't grab at such a cost...

If BB wants to draft a decent WR he can do so in rounds 2-5, they will be there...will they be as good as Lee? Nope, but they need DL/Pass rushing help more right now, IMO...they also need speed in their coverage LB's, and someone like Shazier could well be there when they pick at #29....Some teams will eschew QB's with a top ten pick but will want one asap, and they know BB will be a willing trade partner if he doesn't grab someone who to him is a special player...grabbing someone he really wants is the only way I see him staying put at #29...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure...This is a year to grab cheap talent and build depth...don't forget, the equivalent of three rounds of talented underclassmen came out this year because the min. length of contract for rookies increases by one year next draft due to the last CBA. Since the avg career is less than the current length of the rookie contract, anybody who had a hope of reaching that first big gaurenteed post rookie deal is in this draft...next year will be bleak in terms of talent in comparison...so the time for team building is this year, not next..all teams will realize this and talent poor teams will reach for guys they normally wouldn't grab at such a cost...

If BB wants to draft a decent WR he can do so in rounds 2-5, they will be there...will they be as good as Lee? Nope, but they need DL/Pass rushing help more right now, IMO...they also need speed in their coverage LB's, and someone like Sazier could well be there when they pick at #29....Some teams will eschew QB's with a top ten pick but will want one asap, and they know BB will be a willing trade partner if he doesn't grab someone who to him is a special player...grabbing someone he really wants is the only way I see him staying put at #29...

[/QUOTE]

I really like Shazier too.  I would love to pick him at 29.  I still think teams are going to be very stingy with their picks, so I really doubt we find a decent deal to move into the 2nd.  We will see.  I really want Shazier, Lee, or ASJ at 29.  I know people would cringe at ASJ at 29, but I think he is definitely worth it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

If all the other wide outs are taken If all the other wideouts are taken absolutely.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

... do you take him?

NO!!! A championship team is not made by stockpiling WRs! Championships are won in the trenches:   

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/chff-theory-elevated-to-man-law/2490/" rel="nofollow">http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/chff-theory-elevated-to-man-law/2490/  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If he or Cooks is available I'd think long and hard before I passed up on either. I know the draft is deep at receiver and maybe you want to wait on something like that, but these are players that represent great value at that spot and you have to remember how much more valuable they'd be in our offense.

I like Lee, he's going to help some team, if he was here he'd be a legitimate weapon for Brady...a guy who could play outside and most likely play it well.

I'd rather select a defensive player, but a lot of these guys who are worthy of being selected high will be gone. I don't want to see them reach on a defensive tackle who will come in and play like a average football player. I think there is a lot of guys like that in this draft, especially at the defensive end spot. Take the real talent when it is there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

... do you take him?

NO!!! A championship team is not made by stockpiling WRs! Championships are won in the trenches:   

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/chff-theory-elevated-to-man-law/2490/" rel="nofollow">http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/chff-theory-elevated-to-man-law/2490/" rel="nofollow">http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/chff-theory-elevated-to-man-law/2490/  

[/QUOTE]

I get you logic, and don't disagree.  I strongly believe that we need to get better in the trenches.  I do think that we need to take the best player on the board in the first round though.  If they think that Lee is going to be a better player than Tuitt, or one of the other tackles available, I really believe they need to take their best player at number 29.  We still have seven other pics in this draft to feel needs.  I say they need to take the best player available on the first round and then go from there.  If they think that Marquise Lee is that guy and they should grab him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

The only time taking an elite WR makes sense is when you have all the other pieces assembled. Since we need DL and LB help, I would wait. As TP puts it: "you win with guys in trenches", not with high-priced, narcissistic WR's. Brady has won all his championships without elite WR's. Givens, Branch and Troy Brown were just solid football players, not elite stars.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

A WR cannot come into this system with this QB and "get it" from day 1. TB has been in this offense for too many years with too many layers added on for any rookie to come in and grasp the play book, gain BB and TB confidence. Year 1 is a learning year, for any rookie. 

Why spend a #1 on a player that is not going to play much when the team has invested so heavily in the position? ( 2 free agent signings at strong $$$ and 2 high draft choices all in the past 12 months)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only time taking an elite WR makes sense is when you have all the other pieces assembled. Since we need DL and LB help, I would wait. As TP puts it: "you win with guys in trenches", not with high-priced, narcissistic WR's. Brady has won all his championships without elite WR's. Givens, Branch and Troy Brown were just solid football players, not elite stars.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but do you pass on an elite receiver to draft an average defensive lineman? Because that is what you might be doing if you select some of these defensive ends or tackles at the 29 spot. And I keep hearing..."it's a passing league...it's a passing league", well if that's the case then you need good receivers to really take advantage of that. If a guy like Donald was there at 29, would I take him over Lee? Of course I would, but I think the options we will be faced with will be much less than that. I don't want a team - who gets to draft Donald - get the chance to land another first round talent in the second round, while we reach on second round talent in the first, because of need. Before you know it we will be reaching on third round talent with our second round pick.

Just take the best player available...that's what I want them to do and if it's a first round guy like Lee, vs. a second round guy like Crichton...I'm taking Lee.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I also understand that BB does subscribe to the theory that WR is the position most likely to be a draft bust, and he will not gamble that #1 on that position. 

Maybe, maybe each year there is 1 guy to take that chance on with a number 1, but from what everyone seems to say, Lee is not that player. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but do you pass on an elite receiver to draft an average defensive lineman? Because that is what you might be doing if you select some of these defensive ends or tackles at the 29 spot. And I keep hearing..."it's a passing league...it's a passing league", well if that's the case then you need good receivers to really take advantage of that. If a guy like Donald was there at 29, would I take him over Lee? Of course I would, but I think the options we will be faced with will be much less than that. I don't want a team - who gets to draft Donald - get the chance to land another first round talent in the second round, while we reach on second round talent in the first, because of need. Before you know it we will be reaching on third round talent with our second round pick.

Just take the best player available...that's what I want them to do and if it's a first round guy like Lee, vs. a second round guy like Crichton...I'm taking Lee.

[/QUOTE]

Will said. That's what I was trying to get out in my previous post, but you said it better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

... do you take him?

I pass, here's why. He under-performed in 2013, a blip? Perhaps....perhaps not. Also if I am going to fail to take a player at the greatest need, i, e, D line he's only 6 feet tall so not tempted.

D line starters get taken 1st and 2nd round....I hope the Pats check the box.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The guy ran a 4.52 40 at the combine and stood on that for his pro day.  What first round wide receiver runs a 4.52?  If you want a formerly extremely fast receiver that can't run anymore, Jerry Rice is always available.  Also, Marquise Lee can be an injury risk.

I think that Lee will drop beyond #29.  There's still a chance that BB will pick him up, if the Patriots staff decides that Lee's current nagging injuries will go away by September.  Lee plays fast on video clips.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Agree. Its been a Passing league for more than 40 years. Just different rules.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

From NFL.com's write-up on Lee:

"Was slowed by nagging injuries, and body is not built to withstand a lot of punishment . . . Lee's junior season was plagued by shoulder, knee and leg injuries"

I don't watch a lot of college football so I really don't know how good this guy is, but I see the Pats going with a front-seven pick first and then targeting WR or TE later in the draft.  

For WRs, two guys whose write-ups on NFL.com sound good to me and who might be available in the second to fourth rounds are:

• Jordan Matthews

• Kevin Norwood

Again, haven't watched them play, but the write-ups sound good. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Talent wise you would have to jump on it.  But he would drop something like 15 spots to get to the 29th pick wouldn't he?  

I'm in league with others in that WR is the last thing the Pats should even look at.  DE, TE, OL help and maybe DT help.  SS would be nice and back up LBs.  This team has higher needs.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Talent wise you would have to jump on it.  But he would drop something like 15 spots to get to the 29th pick wouldn't he?  

I'm in league with others in that WR is the last thing the Pats should even look at.  DE, TE, OL help and maybe DT help.  SS would be nice and back up LBs.  This team has higher needs.  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Gary, I think defensive front seven is the first priority, but I think the Pats also need one more guy who can catch the ball.  I'd lean toward a TE for that, too, but if the Pats don't like the available TEs I could see them taking a WR. They have a lot of scheme flexibility, so going more to a three receiver offense isn't out of the question.

I think a lot depends on who is available.  Pats will then adjust their schemes to fit who they have.