Mass voters bring back the death penalty!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Re: Mass voters bring back the death penalty!

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Spending more won't solve anything in America until Americans re-establish a sense of community and civic pride that allows them to spend their money more constructively.  That's the real problem in America: a complete loss of faith in the ability of Americans to work together for the common good.  It's every man for himself there and it's leading to the skeptical, divisive, and surly society you've got. 

I am an American, but I live in Canada now and honestly much prefer the culture here to what it has become in my home country.  It's sad, but really who wants to live in an armed camp where everyone thinks the next guy is a potential threat and therefore is always prepared to shoot first?  

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion. have a good day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

The death penalty is much like the Boston Globe's policy for ROB and people getting "banned". Since there are no teeth in the policy - there is no detterrent for curbing said behavior.  LOL :)Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

The death penalty is much like the Boston Globe's policy for ROB and people getting "banned". Since there are no teeth in the policy - there is no detterrent for curbing said behavior.  LOL :)Laughing

+1

I'm reminded of what the late David Brudnoy used to say on Boston radio.  If you want to say something isn't a deterrent you must exercise the policy in each and every instance where the punishment fits the crime.   Instead, the policy is enforced with such rarity that it's the losing equivalent to winning the lottery.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Babe, you haven't been paying full attention to the thread.  It was TSWFAN who brought up the fact that, compared to people in other countries, Americans have become "dumb"  (his word not mine).  He seemed to be making the argument that if Americans weren't so "dumb" they'd want to keep or expand the death penalty.  I simply pointed out that most of the countries that were "smarter" (again based on the tests TSWFAN referred to)  had already abolished the death penalty and in fact were more progressive in many of their policies than the US.  In other words, despite what TSWFAN seems to be arguing, higher test scores seem to correlate with more progressive policies, lower test scores with more backward policies. There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but generally the correlation seems to exist (though I haven't tested it statistically).

You've wanted to quibble about the test scores.  Fine.  But no matter how you cut it, the US is at best mediocre compared with its counterparts in advanced democracies.  

I think it's interesting that you pull an EPI study for your arguments.  EPI  is a liberal think tank that promotes the very same progressive policies you dislike.  On education, they strongly believe that the poor test scores of American students stem from economic inequality, and that the way to improve scores is to reduce economic inequality by creating more social programs.  Most important, they believe, is increasing the access of poor children to better healthcare.  The authors of the study you quote use the data from that study to advocate for the very policies you dismiss.  They believe that the higher number of economically disadvantaged test takers drives US scores down, but their solution isn't to throw up their hands and say "it is what it is."  Instead they want the federal and state governments to do more to alleviate the economic disadvantages that they believe are the root causes of the problem.  Maybe if you spend more time reading what they say rather than pulling their data randomly to rationalize your own opinions you'll come around to agreeing with them.  Then you'll understand why introducing progressive policies here may actually lead to a smarter, healthier America that compares more favourably with other advanced democracies in many measures of quality of life.

I could care less what their stupid political agenda is. I was simply using them to point out we have a lot of dumb poor people here and that drags down the scoring average.

The last place I would look to for answers on anything is the silly know-it-all goofballs in the godforsaken tundra to the north. What does Canada not get about us simply not caring one whit about what their opinion on anything is? In the big picture, they simply don't matter. Sell us some wood, and S T F U.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

We do have the death penalty in MA.... assuming you haven't been born yet.

photo BBandtheRat_zpsc338a3a1.gif

Ahhhhhhh..no, we don't......

[/QUOTE]

Oh, we don't have abortions in MA? Who knew.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

duplicate

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Babe, you haven't been paying full attention to the thread.  It was TSWFAN who brought up the fact that, compared to people in other countries, Americans have become "dumb"  (his word not mine).  He seemed to be making the argument that if Americans weren't so "dumb" they'd want to keep or expand the death penalty.  I simply pointed out that most of the countries that were "smarter" (again based on the tests TSWFAN referred to)  had already abolished the death penalty and in fact were more progressive in many of their policies than the US.  In other words, despite what TSWFAN seems to be arguing, higher test scores seem to correlate with more progressive policies, lower test scores with more backward policies. There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but generally the correlation seems to exist (though I haven't tested it statistically).

You've wanted to quibble about the test scores.  Fine.  But no matter how you cut it, the US is at best mediocre compared with its counterparts in advanced democracies.  

I think it's interesting that you pull an EPI study for your arguments.  EPI  is a liberal think tank that promotes the very same progressive policies you dislike.  On education, they strongly believe that the poor test scores of American students stem from economic inequality, and that the way to improve scores is to reduce economic inequality by creating more social programs.  Most important, they believe, is increasing the access of poor children to better healthcare.  The authors of the study you quote use the data from that study to advocate for the very policies you dismiss.  They believe that the higher number of economically disadvantaged test takers drives US scores down, but their solution isn't to throw up their hands and say "it is what it is."  Instead they want the federal and state governments to do more to alleviate the economic disadvantages that they believe are the root causes of the problem.  Maybe if you spend more time reading what they say rather than pulling their data randomly to rationalize your own opinions you'll come around to agreeing with them.  Then you'll understand why introducing progressive policies here may actually lead to a smarter, healthier America that compares more favourably with other advanced democracies in many measures of quality of life.

I could care less what their stupid political agenda is. I was simply using them to point out we have a lot of dumb poor people here and that drags down the scoring average.

The last place I would look to for answers on anything is the silly know-it-all goofballs in the godforsaken tundra to the north. What does Canada not get about us simply not caring one whit about what their opinion on anything is? In the big picture, they simply don't matter. Sell us some wood, and S T F U.

Compared to Canada, a lot of dumb people in every social class.

TABLE 5   Scale scores by social class group for U.S. and top-scoring countries, PISA 2009   Canada Finland Korea U.S. Reading         Group 1 (Lowest) 459 466 461 442 Group 2 492 495 501 471 Group 3 518 523 529 504 Group 4 543 552 546 529 Group 5 561 571 564 563 Group 6 (Highest) 567 572 581 563 Gap (Group 6 – Group 1) 108 106 119 121 Gap (Group 5 – Group 2) 70 75 63 93 Math         Group 1 (Lowest) 471 490 452 434 Group 2 493 507 504 464 Group 3 521 528 531 491 Group 4 543 552 553 510 Group 5 560 570 579 548 Group 6 (Highest) 567 580 602 548 Gap (Group 6 – Group 1) 96 90 149 114 Gap (Group 5 – Group 2) 67 63 75 84

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Thank you Christian Taliban. In America you don't force your religious dogma on others against their will.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Consider this analogy: In Roman times I believe Fathers had the right to kill their children. Now that right has passed to Mothers.

Has civilization advanced?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I could care less what their stupid political agenda is. I was simply using them to point out we have a lot of dumb poor people here and that drags down the scoring average.

TABLE 5   Scale scores by social class group for U.S. and top-scoring countries, PISA 2009   Canada Finland Korea U.S. Reading         Group 1 (Lowest) 459 466 461 442 Group 2 492 495 501 471 Group 3 518 523 529 504 Group 4 543 552 546 529 Group 5 561 571 564 563 Group 6 (Highest) 567 572 581 563 Gap (Group 6 – Group 1) 108 106 119 121 Gap (Group 5 – Group 2) 70 75 63 93 Math         Group 1 (Lowest) 471 490 452 434 Group 2 493 507 504 464 Group 3 521 528 531 491 Group 4 543 552 553 510 Group 5 560 570 579 548 Group 6 (Highest) 567 580 602 548 Gap (Group 6 – Group 1) 96 90 149 114 Gap (Group 5 – Group 2) 67 63 75 84

If Canada were gone tomorrow the world would barely notice. LMAO

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Thank you Christian Taliban. In America you don't force your religious dogma on others against their will.

One doesn't have to be religious to determine that killing babies is wrong dumbkoff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

you should post my complete statement and not cherry pick it. Did you go North with the draft dodgers??????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Prefer to take the high road rather than respond to murder with another murder . . .

I'm betting you have no problem with the murder of the unborn though, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

Then we could have a twofer and takeout AH and Whitey Bulger on the same day and no one could play the race card!!!

Just an aside, but if you were in a position of having been found guilty of an heinous crime, would you rather spend the rest of your days locked  up in a 7' x 10' cell or be put out of your misery?

I think the biggest issue with those convivted of murder is not about "punishment". It's about assurances they don't kill again. That includes them killing other inmates such as somebody doing time for dealing some toot for instance. Death assuredly disables their ability to kill again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

Babe, I wish I had my books from school down here with me now (working down South for the summer), but they actually had studies that analyzed the effect of convicted murderers being released into the general prison population instead of being held in isolation. I forget which state tested this out, but I want to say Minnesota? Regardless, you'd be surprised at the results.

I'm pretty positive that the inmates convicted of murder that were housed in the general population were statistically less likely to re-offend in prison than the average prisoner. I believe that they were less likely to commit violent crimes or have infractions than the others as well. Of course, there are exceptions, but the notion that housing them in solitary confinement protects them and other prisoners is unsubstantial at best. Simply the threat of punishment of BEING MOVED to solitary confinement from the general population for bad behavior was enough of a motivation for most of them to walk a straight line in prison. Additionally, it provided a lot more mental stimulation, social outlets, and led to a higher degree of comfort for them. Once again, of course this doesn't apply to all the deathrow/murderer inmates. But then again, theoretically if the general population is statistically more likely than murderers to murder other prisoners, shouldn't all of the prison population be kept in solitary confinement? Obviously, such a notion wouldn't be feasible or humane, just playing devil's advocate.

Also, housing them in the general population would drive down costs substantially, which is another huge benefit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

Again I wish I had my sources to cite directly, but if I'm wrong, I'll certainly admit it and give myself a solid *facepalm*

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

And on the abortion subject, obviously one's conception of the beginning of life varies from person to person and likely won't change substantially based on legal decisions or outside influence. Many Christian religions that I know of consider life to begin at conception, so that's an obvious reason why the religious argument becomes so influential when discussing abortion. However, ideally religion and state should be separated, so the definition of life LEGALLY must be based on something more substantial, like scientific proof or prior/appropriate outside legal precedents. Just as a point of reference, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (which the U.S. supports) references the granting of rights to individuals at birth. Additionally, virtually all legal documents with jurisdiction within the US grant individual legal rights beginning at birth. So technically, under current LEGAL precedent, unborn babies have NO rights, assuming that you believe that the legitimacy of one's individual rights stem from legal doctrine and not God or some other higher power. The latter medium of legitimacy, however, is contradictory in practice in America, as it would violate the notion of separation of church and state.

Btw, I hope I didn't offend any anyone with my post. It wasn't meant to be an attack on anyone's religious beliefs or prochoice/prolife stance, nor does it necessarily reflect or contradict my stance on the topic. Just figured I'd throw out some legal background for argument's sake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

you should post my complete statement and not cherry pick it. Did you go North with the draft dodgers??????

Okay . ..  here's your whole statement, with the part I was referring to above in bold  . . . 

yes we have evolved to a nation that is fat [68% overwgt]; dumb[look at the educational scores against of nations]; and stupid [we want our enemies to like us]. As an aside, we would not have won WWII with the present rules of engagement.  Questions from the uninformed?

And, no, I moved to Canada for purely capitalistic reasons . . . because the job was interesting work and paid really, really well . . . 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and if you were gone tomorrow, the world would barely notice too.  So what's your point? It's not like you created America.  You just were born there.  So was I.  Big deal.  Being born somewhere is no accomplishment at all . . . 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JMUFranco's comment:

Babe, I wish I had my books from school down here with me now (working down South for the summer), but they actually had studies that analyzed the effect of convicted murderers being released into the general prison population instead of being held in isolation. I forget which state tested this out, but I want to say Minnesota? Regardless, you'd be surprised at the results.

I'm pretty positive that the inmates convicted of murder that were housed in the general population were statistically less likely to re-offend in prison than the average prisoner. I believe that they were less likely to commit violent crimes or have infractions than the others as well. Of course, there are exceptions, but the notion that housing them in solitary confinement protects them and other prisoners is unsubstantial at best. Simply the threat of punishment of BEING MOVED to solitary confinement from the general population for bad behavior was enough of a motivation for most of them to walk a straight line in prison. Additionally, it provided a lot more mental stimulation, social outlets, and led to a higher degree of comfort for them. Once again, of course this doesn't apply to all the deathrow/murderer inmates. But then again, theoretically if the general population is statistically more likely than murderers to murder other prisoners, shouldn't all of the prison population be kept in solitary confinement? Obviously, such a notion wouldn't be feasible or humane, just playing devil's advocate.

Also, housing them in the general population would drive down costs substantially, which is another huge benefit.

"Less likely" is not as good as "impossible" :)))).

It might surprise you to learn that I'm against the death penalty, since you think I'm so conservative. I support the "chain gang" style of rehab. Work them until they drop dead of natural causes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, and if you were gone tomorrow, the world would barely notice too.  So what's your point? It's not like you created America.  You just were born there.  So was I.  Big deal.  Being born somewhere is no accomplishment at all . . . 

[/QUOTE]

My point is that a relatively small collection of pompous and pontificating twits that suffer from delusions of having all the brilliant answers that fit the problems of everybody regardless of the different circumstances is to be considered nothing more than an annoyance from the clueless.

Frankly, I don't care what the hell they do in Canada, but it seems they certainly do care what we do here. But all this stems from their inferiority complex in the first place.

Tell me this is not so. Most Canadians have fostered fears that the US would invade them over the years. Laughable. Canada would have to matter for that to even be a possibility.

You have been in the tundra far too long. It is frying your brain.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, and if you were gone tomorrow, the world would barely notice too. 

Actually, chances are, if I were gone tomorrow, the world would notice it more so than they have noticed anything in history.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

My point is that a relatively small collection of pompous and pontificating twits that suffer from delusions of having all the brilliant answers that fit the problems of everybody regardless of the different circumstances is to be considered nothing more than an annoyance from the clueless.

Frankly, I don't care what the hell they do in Canada, but it seems they certainly do care what we do here. But all this stems from their inferiority complex in the first place.

Tell me this is not so. Most Canadians have fostered fears that the US would invade them over the years. Laughable. Canada would have to matter for that to even be a possibility.

You have been in the tundra far too long. It is frying your brain.

[/QUOTE]

Who cares really, because I'm just as much an American as you . . . so your argument about what Canadians think is a non sequitur.  I'm an American and I think Americans shouldn't have the death penalty.  

Again, I was simply rebutting TSWFAN's statement that implied that Americans didn't have the death penalty because (based on--and I quote TSFNFAN here--"educational scores against of nations") Americans are dumb.  I simply said that nations that do better on those "educational scores" tend not to have the death penalty, so being "smart" (based on the scores TSWFAN refers to) actually correlates with not having the death penalty.  I was just pointing out a flaw in TSWFAN's argument . . . 

You have gone off on some tangent about Canada . . . 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

Prefer to take the high road rather than respond to murder with another murder . . .

I'm betting you have no problem with the murder of the unborn though, right?

[/QUOTE]

I do think there are tricky ethical issues with abortion, but in the end I think it's best to defer to the woman who has to bear the child and probably will end up with the primary responsibility for caring for the child if the child is carried to term.  Let her decide whether the pregnancy is too burdensome for her.  As long as the pregnancy is terminated early on, I don't find it terribly troublesome. 

I also don't find the death penalty all that troubling ethically by the way in the case of heinous crimes.  I think, however, there are lots of pragmatic reasons (see JMUFranco's excellent post above) not to have the death penalty, while I think there are many more pragmatic reasons to allow abortion.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Consider this analogy: In Roman times I believe Fathers had the right to kill their children. Now that right has passed to Mothers.

Has civilization advanced?

"the more civilized approach than executing murderers" says PRO.  What say you who prefers Canada to the USA on Independence Day ?