Mass voters bring back the death penalty!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Mass voters bring back the death penalty!

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

My point is that a relatively small collection of pompous and pontificating twits that suffer from delusions of having all the brilliant answers that fit the problems of everybody regardless of the different circumstances is to be considered nothing more than an annoyance from the clueless.

Frankly, I don't care what the hell they do in Canada, but it seems they certainly do care what we do here. But all this stems from their inferiority complex in the first place.

Tell me this is not so. Most Canadians have fostered fears that the US would invade them over the years. Laughable. Canada would have to matter for that to even be a possibility.

You have been in the tundra far too long. It is frying your brain.

Who cares really, because I'm just as much an American as you . . . so your argument about what Canadians think is a non sequitur.  I'm an American and I think Americans shouldn't have the death penalty.  

Again, I was simply rebutting TSWFAN's statement that implied that Americans didn't have the death penalty because (based on--and I quote TSFNFAN here--"educational scores against of nations") Americans are dumb.  I simply said that nations that do better on those "educational scores" tend not to have the death penalty, so being "smart" (based on the scores TSWFAN refers to) actually correlates with not having the death penalty.  I was just pointing out a flaw in TSWFAN's argument . . . 

You have gone off on some tangent about Canada . . . 

You're the one touting the brilliance of the canucks as leading to a better way. I addressed your erroneous contention.

Are you now saying you do not hold to that contention and were just stating it to illustrate something to him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

[QUOTE]

Consider this analogy: In Roman times I believe Fathers had the right to kill their children. Now that right has passed to Mothers.

Has civilization advanced?

"the more civilized approach than executing murderers" says PRO.  What say you who prefers Canada to the USA on Independence Day ?

[/QUOTE]

bumped, awaiting comment from Pro

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Consider this analogy: In Roman times I believe Fathers had the right to kill their children. Now that right has passed to Mothers.

Has civilization advanced?

"the more civilized approach than executing murderers" says PRO.  What say you who prefers Canada to the USA on Independence Day ?

[/QUOTE]

bumped, awaiting comment from Pro

[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure what you want me to comment on.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

My point is that a relatively small collection of pompous and pontificating twits that suffer from delusions of having all the brilliant answers that fit the problems of everybody regardless of the different circumstances is to be considered nothing more than an annoyance from the clueless.

Frankly, I don't care what the hell they do in Canada, but it seems they certainly do care what we do here. But all this stems from their inferiority complex in the first place.

Tell me this is not so. Most Canadians have fostered fears that the US would invade them over the years. Laughable. Canada would have to matter for that to even be a possibility.

Who cares really, because I'm just as much an American as you . . . so your argument about what Canadians think is a non sequitur.  I'm an American and I think Americans shouldn't have the death penalty.  

Again, I was simply rebutting TSWFAN's statement that implied that Americans didn't have the death penalty because (based on--and I quote TSFNFAN here--"educational scores against of nations") Americans are dumb.  I simply said that nations that do better on those "educational scores" tend not to have the death penalty, so being "smart" (based on the scores TSWFAN refers to) actually correlates with not having the death penalty.  I was just pointing out a flaw in TSWFAN's argument . . . 

You're the one touting the brilliance of the canucks as leading to a better way. I addressed your erroneous contention.

Are you now saying you do not hold to that contention and were just stating it to illustrate something to him?

[/QUOTE]

Huh?  I didn't make any contention about Canada leading to a better way.  I only mentioned Canada indirectly, by quoting a paragraph from the EPI survey you had already quoted which happened to have a reference to test scores in Canada, Finland, and Korea being higher than those in the US.  

When asked by TSWFAN if I was British I told him no, I'm an American living in Canada and said I prefer Canadian society now to American society now. 

From all the complaints you grumpy conservatives make about America and Americans, it seems you don't like it all that much either.  Maybe you should try moving?  I'm sure you can find plenty of countries that are more regressive if you prefer that  . . .  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Huh?  I didn't make any contention about Canada leading to a better way.  I only mentioned Canada indirectly, by quoting a paragraph from the EPI survey you had already quoted which happened to have a reference to test scores in Canada, Finland, and Korea being higher than those in the US.  

When asked by TSWFAN if I was British I told him no, I'm an American living in Canada and said I prefer Canadian society now to American society now. 

From all the complaints you grumpy conservatives make about America and Americans, it seems you don't like it all that much either.  Maybe you should try moving?  I'm sure you can find plenty of countries that are more regressive if you prefer that  . . .  

Okay. Glad to know you aren't saying Canada has a better way. And I am also happy for you that you can spend most of your time in the society you like better up in the godforsaken tundra.

Actually, Korea does have the death penalty.

I think most conservatives would say the people who are changing things should be the ones to move.

What's your idea of "progressive", murdering babies, gay marriage and government oppression of the right to bear arms?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Okay. Glad to know you aren't saying Canada has a better way. And I am also happy for you that you can spend most of your time in the society you like better up in the godforsaken tundra.

I think most conservatives would say the people who are changing things should be the ones to move.

What's your idea of "progressive", murdering babies, gay marriage and government oppression of the right to bear arms?

Good social safety net, safe places to live, easy access to health care, stong public education system. lots of free concerts, excellent public transportation, well-maintained roads, lots of locally grown food, good public land where you can fish and hunt, secure banks, better worker protections, and good-paying jobs add up to a pretty nice place to live  . . . I think a progressive society is one that is proactive about trying to create a better standard of living for all its residents.  I think the difference between what I see here and what I saw in the states is a sense of responsibility to the community.  In the US it's every man for himself.  Here there's more of a sense that we're all in it together.  I like that.  If you like something else that's fine.  To each his own . . . I'm fine moving . . . I already did it . . . you can stay there if you like and we'll both be happy . . . 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

"Gay marriage"?

Certainly a progressive thing, and a necessary thing. Absurd that we were (and still are) denying rights to fellow humans due to an uncontrollable trait, which is inherited through birth. 

"Murdering babies"?

Sure seems like a gross-misrepresentation of the truth. A fetus isn't a baby; it has the capability to become a human being, but it isn't. I find the abortion situation sad, and I certainly have mixed feelings about the ordeal. That said, when the health of the mother is in danger, or when the women has become pregnant via rape or incest, the option of abortion should absolutely be available. Beyond that, it's a slipperly slope to say the least.

"Government oppression of firearm use"?

Well, when said firearms are military grade, and are designed to be able to kill many humans in a short amount of time, then yes, I question whether we need gun control laws (or a lack thereof). These aren't muskets we're talking about; these are highly advanced machines which were designed with the intent to maim and kill human beings, not to hunt or to protect oneself. Unfortunately, the horse may be out of the barn, and I struggle with the idea of limiting civil liberties. Again, this is a slipperly slope in my opinion, but I do feel that some action may be beneficial. 

Let's go Pats!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Good social safety net, safe places to live, easy access to health care, stong public education system. lots of free concerts, excellent public transportation, well-maintained roads, lots of locally grown food, good public land where you can fish and hunt, secure banks, better worker protections, and good-paying jobs add up to a pretty nice place to live  . . . I think a progressive society is one that is proactive about trying to create a better standard of living for all its residents.  I think the difference between what I see here and what I saw in the states is a sense of responsibility to the community.  In the US it's every man for himself.  Here there's more of a sense that we're all in it together.  I like that.  If you like something else that's fine.  To each his own . . . I'm fine moving . . . I already did it . . . you can stay there if you like and we'll both be happy . . . 

People create better standards of living for themselves!!!!!   Your "Progressive Society" is about providing entitlements on the back of the taxpayer. If you like Canada better than the USA, try France you will love it there. As an aside, you don't know what you are supposed to answer regarding the difference between Roman fathers killing their children and todays Mothers killing their children. According to you we are more civilized on that issue. Correct ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

People create better standards of living for themselves!!!!!   Your "Progressive Society" is about providing entitlements on the back of the taxpayer. If you like Canada better than the USA, try France you will love it there. As an aside, you don't know what you are supposed to answer regarding the difference between Roman fathers killing their children and todays Mothers killing their children. According to you we are more civilized on that issue. Correct ?

I do like France a lot.  Ever been there?

On their own, people can only do so much.  Working together as a community much more can be done for everyone.  I pay more in taxes than most Americans earn in a year.  And I'm glad to do it.  If I can provide health care to one or two other people, I think that's money well spent.   

And I do think that women having control over their own bodies is an advancement over men having absolute dominance over both women and children . . . you don't agree?  If not, try Afghanistan.  The Taliban likes that male-dominance approach too. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Korea has a constitutional death penalty ... but executions are barred by a form of executive order. They are listed as abolitionist by amnesty international. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

And I do think that women having control over their own bodies is an advancement over men having absolute dominance over both women and children . . . you don't agree?  If not, try Afghanistan.  The Taliban likes that male-dominance approach too. 

Like the death penalty?

Hate gay people?

Want to control women?

Think everyone should own a kalishnakov?

Love it when corporations rule your country?

But it's even better when clerics do?

Have you checked out the 3rd world lately? Property is reeaaal cheap, lol. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Oh goody. We have 12 million illegal immigrants from Mexico we are grappling with what to do about. Why doesn't the "progressive" Canada step up and take them. I'm sure they would only enhance the utopia up there.

No, I won't be moving to the tundra of the clueless.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

And I do think that women having control over their own bodies is an advancement over men having absolute dominance over both women and children

I see. You think that murdering baby humans is an advancement over male chauvanism.

I don't like either.

I am all for women having control over their own body, except when people have to die for it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Korea has a constitutional death penalty ... but executions are barred by a form of executive order. They are listed as abolitionist by amnesty international. 

The law is on the books and could be used. Their Supreme Court said so. Bottom line: They have the death penalty despite their being really really really "smart". LMAO

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

"Gay marriage"?

Certainly a progressive thing, and a necessary thing. Absurd that we were (and still are) denying rights to fellow humans due to an uncontrollable trait, which is inherited through birth. 

Legally speaking, all adult males and females have exactly the same rights as the next in the US regarding marriage.

There is no proof homosexuality is inherited through birth.

[QUOTE]

"Murdering babies"?

Sure seems like a gross-misrepresentation of the truth. A fetus isn't a baby; it has the capability to become a human being, but it isn't. I find the abortion situation sad, and I certainly have mixed feelings about the ordeal. That said, when the health of the mother is in danger, or when the women has become pregnant via rape or incest, the option of abortion should absolutely be available. Beyond that, it's a slipperly slope to say the least.

[/QUOTE]

A fetus isn't a human being? What species are they then?

[QUOTE]

"Government oppression of firearm use"?

Well, when said firearms are military grade, and are designed to be able to kill many humans in a short amount of time, then yes, I question whether we need gun control laws (or a lack thereof). These aren't muskets we're talking about; these are highly advanced machines which were designed with the intent to maim and kill human beings, not to hunt or to protect oneself. Unfortunately, the horse may be out of the barn, and I struggle with the idea of limiting civil liberties. Again, this is a slipperly slope in my opinion, but I do feel that some action may be beneficial.

[/QUOTE]

Muskets were "military grade" firearms at the time the 2nd Amendment was ratified. Obviously the ratifiers didn't see a problem with civilians having the same small arms capability as the military. So change the Constitution. They built in a process to do so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

easy access to health care

Really? A recent Ipsos poll shows Americans more satisfied with our healthcare system than Canadians are with theirs.

http://www.ipsos-na.com/images/news-polls/media/6141-lg.jpg

http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/pressrelease.aspx?id=6141

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

good-paying jobs

Every source I checked showed per capita income in the USA around 15% higher than up in the tundra, and the unemployment rate was within less than a half of a percent of each other.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You got this weird obsession with Canada, Babe.  You insecure about America or something? Look I've lived in both countries.  I like both.  But right now, I think quality of life is better in Canada (at least in Ontario) for a lot of reasons.  As I said, you can live down there and I'll live up here and we'll both be happy.  You can quote whatever statistics you like, but unlike you, I've actually lived in both countries and can make an informed choice based on my own experience.  

Until you've actually left the US, it's hard to make judgments about other places . . . but that's kind of what most Americans do.  America is always the best place in the world and every other place is inferior.  But if you travel a lot and have an open mind, you know this just isn't true. There are pluses and minuses to every country, but most of the advanced democratic ones provide pretty high-quality of life, and a lot of what is "better" or "worse" depends on your personal preferences.

I watch the US news regularly still and what strikes me most is how completely dysfunctional the government of the US has become and how one political party in particular apparently has a goal of keeping it dysfunctional as long as they're not in control. I also hear a lot of anger and pessimism among the American population, often attended by a desire to strike out or blame others.  It's not very attractive in my mind.  You yourself won't even vote as you've said many times.  You keep trying to "prove" that America is better than Canada, but you're so skeptical about the country's government you won't even participate!  Think about that for a moment . . . if America is the greatest place in the world, why are you so turned off to your own democracy?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

Wish my computer would let me quote posts right now, oh well.

Babe:
    "The law is on the books and could be used. Their Supreme Court said so. Bottom line: They have the death penalty despite their being really really really "smart". LMAO"

What truly matters is what is in practice. An antiquated law in Massachusetts banned all Native Americans from Boston until 2005. In my lovely hometown state of Virginia, it's legal to beat your wife on the courthouse steps as long as it's before 8 PM. There are tons of antiquated, absurd laws on the books. Legislators have tons of more important things to care for than to remove every absurd law that isn't practiced. The true barometer for a society's progress (or lack thereof) is what laws are practiced (or in some cases, what is in practice yet not legally codified). Korea's practical moratorium on capital punishment is a reflection of a legally progressive step they've taken, whether or not it's technically on the books.

"Legally speaking, all adult males and females have exactly the same rights as the next in the US regarding marriage.

There is no proof homosexuality is inherited through birth."

Two major issues here: 1. The issue at hand isn't a disparity in male/female rights. The issue is whether a male or female is allowed to marry a partner of the same sex, and therefore be entitled to the same rights and privileges that such a governmental civil transaction affords them. To date, I haven't heard one compelling argument without significant logical flaws for keeping "traditional" marriage, but if you have one I'd love to hear it, be educated, and possibly even debate its merit. :)

2. A lack of quantifiable scientific proof does not necessarily mean that such a claim is false by any means. There's no proof that God exists and no proof that he doesn't exist. By the previously applied logic, that would lead us circularly to the conclusion that, therefore, God does not exist (opposite of God does exist) and that God does exist (opposite of God doesn't exist). Well, that would be pointless, we'd be caught in a logical circular fallacy. Basically, a claim that there's no proof that homosexuality is inherited at birth is, in practice, useless. Hell, even if people DID choose their sexuality, isn't that just an expression of one's self, much like the state-protected religious right? Isn't that freedom of expression protected under the First Amendment? And wouldn't a denial of the ability to marry their intended spouse (and subsequent harm inflicted by denial of state-granted privileges as a result) violate their right to equal protection under the Fourteenth Amendment, much like the protection granted by the Fourteenth Amendment toward religion? If homosexuality is a choice, as you inferred in your post without proof qualifying such an assertion, denial of marriage rights based solely upon that fact still would violate First and Fourteenth Amendment protections.

"A fetus isn't a human being? What species are they then?"
    No, it's not. It's developing into a human being, but still is not a self-sustaining form of life. Nor does a fetus have legal rights granted to it via international or US legal doctrine. By that logic, does a single sperm cell count as a life? It can develop into a human with the presence of other factors (egg), much like a fetus can (a viable nutritional source and host to carry it). Further extrapolate that logic, and theoretically, any time you have ever unnaturally prevented reproduction, whether that be by contraception, self-stimulation, or "pulling out," you have deprived that "living being" of its right to life. Aside: I feel like I'm restating what I had fed to me in Catholic school growing up, bleh.

"Muskets were "military grade" firearms at the time the 2nd Amendment was ratified. Obviously the ratifiers didn't see a problem with civilians having the same small arms capability as the military. So change the Constitution. They built in a process to do so."

Logically, this argument is sound in my opinion. I'm not quite sure where I stand in regards to government's influence on one's right to bear arms, so I won't comment.

"Really? A recent Ipsos poll shows Americans more satisfied with our healthcare system than Canadians are with theirs... Every source I checked showed per capita income in the USA around 15% higher than up in the tundra, and the unemployment rate was within less than a half of a percent of each other."

Prolate0spheroid simply said they have easy access to healthcare and good-paying jobs. He never stated that they were somehow superior to America's. And in fact, his experience may well be that for him his access to quality healthcare is greater there with a higher-paying and more fruitful job than he had in America.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And I do think that women having control over their own bodies is an advancement over men having absolute dominance over both women and children

I see. You think that murdering baby humans is an advancement over male chauvanism.

I don't like either.

I am all for women having control over their own body, except when people have to die for it.

[/QUOTE]

Say in the situation where a women has a condition that if she gives birth, she'll die. You rather a full grown women die instead of an unborn fetus?

[/QUOTE]

I would opt for saving the mother if the prognosis is certain.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You got this weird obsession with Canada, Babe.  You insecure about America or something? Look I've lived in both countries.  I like both.  But right now, I think quality of life is better in Canada (at least in Ontario) for a lot of reasons.  As I said, you can live down there and I'll live up here and we'll both be happy.  You can quote whatever statistics you like, but unlike you, I've actually lived in both countries and can make an informed choice based on my own experience.  

Until you've actually left the US, it's hard to make judgments about other places . . . but that's kind of what most Americans do.  America is always the best place in the world and every other place is inferior.  But if you travel a lot and have an open mind, you know this just isn't true. There are pluses and minuses to every country, but most of the advanced democratic ones provide pretty high-quality of life, and a lot of what is "better" or "worse" depends on your personal preferences.

I watch the US news regularly still and what strikes me most is how completely dysfunctional the government of the US has become and how one political party in particular apparently has a goal of keeping it dysfunctional as long as they're not in control. I also hear a lot of anger and pessimism among the American population, often attended by a desire to strike out or blame others.  It's not very attractive in my mind.  You yourself won't even vote as you've said many times.  You keep trying to "prove" that America is better than Canada, but you're so skeptical about the country's government you won't even participate!  Think about that for a moment . . . if America is the greatest place in the world, why are you so turned off to your own democracy?

I've talked with a lot of Candians over the years. My view is based on that and facts. I've also been to Canada a few times.

I wouldn't say America is better than Canada. But I would say Canada is not better than America. As I have repeatedly told you, these are apples and oranges issues.

As far as a dysfunctional government in the US, what do you expect the opposition party to do, go along with policies they abhor for the sake of being "functional"? These people were elected to represent a certain point of view. To abandon that would be to betray the people who elected them.

You may have missed this, but there is a lot of anger and pessimism throughout the world as it continues to teeter on the brink of economic collapse. Read some Euro news and see how comparatively euphoric Americans are compared to some of those folks.

Canadians have a rep for going along with whatever crap they get shoved down their throats anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JMUFranco's comment:

Korea's practical moratorium on capital punishment is a reflection of a legally progressive step they've taken, whether or not it's technically on the books.

And I contend that it is left on the books purposefully and not because it is some "blue law" remnant of the ancient past as you contend.

It is there and available for a future regime to lift the self imposed stay for a reason. The reasons for it's lack of use are clearly not due to "progressive" politics but rather an aversion by recent leaders to be linked to abuses of the past.

As far as the US I almost always prefer issues such as this be determined on a state by state basis, which after all, is what the intent of the nation was from its inception.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

Fair point Babe. I'll admit that I don't know much about Korea's political trends or motives, so that could well be the case. Maybe I'll look into it further if I have the chance.

As for the notion that it should be left to the states, that's where you and I certainly see eye to eye. I just wish the states would individually eradicate the death penalty until it can be carried out in the manner I stated earlier in the thread ;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JMUFranco's comment:

The issue at hand isn't a disparity in male/female rights. The issue is whether a male or female is allowed to marry a partner of the same sex, and therefore be entitled to the same rights and privileges that such a governmental civil transaction affords them. To date, I haven't heard one compelling argument without significant logical flaws for keeping "traditional" marriage, but if you have one I'd love to hear it, be educated, and possibly even debate its merit. :)

I assume you are consistent and would favor polygamous marriages and marriages between close family members as well.

Frankly, I think the whole "marriage" thing is a can of worms. I would abolish that institution from a legal/secular standpoint and allow "civil unions" affording the same rights for any two adults that wish to enter one. It would have nothing to do with gender or sexuality whatsoever. That should shut both sides of the argument up.

Marriage would be relegated to a ceremonial status administered by whatever religious or other entity the partakers chose.