Matt Cassel: Brady's been a mentor to me....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Re: Matt Cassel: Brady's been a mentor to me....

Cassel couldnt be more classy if he tried

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lexlib. Show lexlib's posts

full interview

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/From-the-Podium-Matt-Cassel/c99fa66a-e9ce-42db-92e5-8356ed09b1bd

he's simply giving credit to where its due and simply has a debt of gratitude for what tom has contributed to making him a better player

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Go ask Jim Sorgi or Curtis Painter what Peyton did for them. =D 

It's NOTHING, just in case you were wondering. 

Same with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Tom is a class act. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Players like Manning and Favre are a lot more self centered than Brady is. I remember Favre saying once that Rodgers could learn from watching him, he had no plans to "tutor" him. We see by how Painter and Sorgi have performed when given a chance that Manning probably has the same attitude. Favre was probably looking over his shoulder at Rodgers, and Manning was more concerned about his own affairs. But Tom and Matt were said to be good friends, and considered themselves "buddies" rather than "rivals". And Brady knew that should the situation arise that Cassel had to play it would be much better for the team if he were prepared. It's all rooted in the attitude of being a team player. Tom has embraced this much more so than Favre or Manning, and it shows with Tom having three rings and the other QBs only one each. Cassel was a good student (as evidenced by his success in 08), and it's showing in KC. The Cheifs are a good young team, and Cassel seems like he'll be an excellent leader for them. I expect big things from them in the future, and I think the Chargers are in trouble!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Tom had said tha Drew was a mentor to him.  He's continuing the classiness of Pats QBs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Tom Brady is a class act.  Always has been and always will be.  Matt Cassel is a classy guy himself.  Glad he's succeeding in KC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from james32. Show james32's posts

As long as he's not playing Patriots,just have to pull for Cassel.The patriot's look for classy players so it doesn't surprise me Tom is still helping Cassel

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's like Bub says . . .   you look for a certain type of player when building your team, and it is not necessarily always about the guy with the outstanding "measurables." It's not really a fair comparison between Brady and Manning, as Brady was considered a project and was "in the system," while Manning was drafted as a "savior" and was thrown immediately to the (metaphorical) lions.

There's a reason Peyton Manning has taken so long to learn how to accept his share of the blame when things go wrong. It's because he was expected to carry that team from day one, and he really hasn't ever been able to accomplish it. The Colts have had some success, to be sure. In fact, they've had the kind of success a lot of perennial doormats might get downright giddy about. But Manning has been near the top for a very long time, and hasn't very much (comparatively) to show for it.

Brett Favre is an entirely different can of beans. Favre had spent so much time reading (and believing) his own press that, by the time Aaron Rodgers came along, Favre viewed him not only as a threat, but as an insult. This guy sullied -- maybe even destroyed -- what might have been a perfectly legitimate legacy by coming back not once, but three times, trying to prove that Ted Thompson was a fool to dare try to ever replace him.

Team players are probably not as rare as they seem, because good news isn't really news at all, and most of the time all you hear about are the loud, self-absorbed players who believe they are bigger -- not just than the team -- but the game itself. But teams -- or I should say, organizations -- that ultimately have long-term, sustained success almost always preach the same mantra:

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Peyton Manning isn't a team player because Painter stinks?

Couldn't that be because Painter just stinks? In fact, that is entirely more likely. A QB can't improve another QB that much. Cassel certainly had help from Tom, but Cassel is good because he is good.

He had one major flaw here, and fixed it with two starting seasons. That is the mark of being a good player ... improving your weak areas. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Cassel: Brady's been a mentor to me....:
    [QUOTE]Peyton Manning isn't a team player because Painter stinks? Couldn't that be because Painter just stinks? In fact, that is entirely more likely. A QB can't improve another QB that much. Cassel certainly had help from Tom, but Cassel is good because he is good. He had one major flaw here, and fixed it with two starting seasons. That is the mark of being a good player ... improving your weak areas. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I would tend to agree with this insofar as it applies to actual quarterback play. Players improve through identifying holes in their game and by repetition. I don't think there's any other way. But, what a young guy in the NFL -- or any elite league -- can learn from a seasoned veteran are effective work habits, or, as in the case of Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre . . .   what not to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

Cassel must have erased everything he learned from Palmer and Lienhert

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sned1. Show Sned1's posts

And by the way...

...Drew Bledsoe was a class act too.  I'm glad we have Brady, but I always enjoyed watching Bledsoe play and he was nothing but a class act in interviews and off the field.  He deserves our respect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I'll jump on that this is Bledsoe's legacy. The guy was 100% class. 

I understood why the Pats had to go with Brady.  Supposedly, Brady worked harder than Bledose, and the coach has been obviously vindicated by Brady.  And you can argue that the Bills could not afford Bledsoe while they were trying to rebuild. But I still believe Dallas would have been better served to keep Bledsoe as their starter a little longer and it bothered me how they benched Bledsoe. Romo has proved to not be the step-up they thought he would be. He could have learned from Bledsoe for a couple of more years and been better for it. Instead, Romo is looking like a bust.

Glad to see Matt doing so well.  Hope the Pats don't have to face the Chiefs, but if the Pats are not destined to win it all, I am rooting for the Chiefs as a second choice to win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Rumor has it w Weis going to college level, Pioli will bring in McDaniels as OC next year.... it would be a great fit for Cassel!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

But I still believe Dallas would have been better served to keep Bledsoe as their starter a little longer and it bothered me how they benched Bledsoe

Thats why Parcells left.

Theres no way Todd Haley brings McDaniels in as a coordinator. No way, he wouldnt even shake his hand. If your that much of a poor sport then your arrogant as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I've said this elsewhere, but anybody who expects Todd Haley to welcome Josh McDaniels aboard his staff after the way J-Mac ran it up on the Chefs earlier this season should maybe lay off the pipe for a little while.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

I wish Cassell the very best, until he plays NE.  He is a great story and I'm glad he is working out well in KC.  Plus, I hate Denver, so I wish Cassell all kinds of sucess in his division.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

10/4 on Bledsoe.....
    Great to see he's still putting up
    impressive numbers as a vintner too

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In Response to Matt Cassel: Brady's been a mentor to me....:
    [QUOTE]http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=46303071 /> /> /> just watch. greatest compliment tom could ever receive from one of his student(s). my favorite line: cassel on brady: He humbled himself to help me. will try to look for the complete interview.
    Posted by lexlib[/QUOTE]
    Matt sounds alot like Tom. I am happy for Matt's success. It was not given to him, he waited, studied/learned and got his shot. Did good for the Pats and now for the Chiefs. I think the Chiefs will be a dangerous team in the playoffs. Wish them all the luck in the world unless they come to Gilette.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Cassel: Brady's been a mentor to me....:
    [QUOTE]Rumor has it w Weis going to college level, Pioli will bring in McDaniels as OC next year.... it would be a great fit for Cassel!
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]

doubt that will happen. McDaniels is probably headed to the college ranks as an OC too.

Glad for Cassell also, what a story-riding the bench behind heisman winners who are pretty much dismal now.

Sections
Shortcuts