Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Matt Cassell franchise tag????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trlrunner. Show trlrunner's posts

Lets take a moment to think about this...There are a few teams eye balling him right now and a couple of those are in our division. How long do you think Brent Favre will last? Maybe one more year at best, then they look to the future. What about Miami's future with Chad and Buffaloes with Trent? Cassell has proven himself in our system and Brady may not be ready to go come September. If he is how will the knee be come November and December? We need an insurance policy and O'Connell is not it...right now. Oh by the way Kevin has graduated from washing Matts jock to tightening his cleats. Two years...thats how long it takes to fully recover from an injury like that..two years!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Let's see how Matt finishes out this season, unless you have inside information about TB's progress, before we speculate too much. For now, let's worry about the Pats THIS season and start discussing the plausible scenarios after the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trlrunner. Show trlrunner's posts

Ya and i'm sure Bill nver looks to the future!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

This has been written about ad nauseum on this board. Do you know how much $ it will take to franchise Cassell and pay Brady? Do you know what % of the cap this will be? Find that out then look at how the Pats have done business in the Belichick/Pioli era. Then get back to us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Tri... To BB, the future is winning the NEXT game. Can't do much about next year right now. I don't think the team needs that type of distraction, anyway. Maybe the fans do, but, not the team!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I beg to differ on your opinion on O'Connell. I think he can wash much more than just Cassel's jockstrap!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]Enoch. The tag does not automatically compute to the salary cap unlessthe tender offer is signed. Period.

This isn't a sign and trade as you can trade a tagged player without a contract . . this has been done many times,most recently with Jared Allen who was tagged traded and signed independently of the tag value in Minnesota. The Cheifs have taken NO cap hit this season.

Cassel will not sign the tender offer in NE just to break balls when he can get twice that in guaranteed dollars easily wherever he is traded.

The only way NE hs to pay that is if they need to (hopefully not) in the case that Brady actually cannot play in 2009. In which case they can remove the tag and go cheap with O'connel or some FA pickup, or keep it (doubtful) and have Cassel for another season.

They will apply the tag, but under no circumstnaces will Matt Casel be on NE payroll next season . . . so no cap hit.

[/Quote]

It doesn't matter if he signs or not. As soon as they tender him, the amount is applied to the cap. This means they don't get to use that money until they decide what to do with him which means a lot of other negotiations cease until the point they withdraw the tender. It also ties their hands in the FA market. That 14.8 MM goes a long way in FA the way contracts are written. That is a lot of bargaining power they are taking off the table during a period when they need it most.

And there is always the risk that Cassell does sign. He seems like a decent guy who probably understands the process, but players tend to get antsy and pissy when they feel disrespected. He might just sign because he gets mad at BB for tagging him. The way he has been playing, even if he doesn't play next year, his ability to negotiate a big bucks contract will slightly diminish in 2010 but that would more than be made up for by 14.8 MM.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomSinMA. Show TomSinMA's posts

To franchise Cassel would cost about $14M. Brady is scheduled to make about $14.5M. Much as i would love to keep Cassell, franchising him would tie up about 25% of cap space on two players . NOT worth it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

I'm confused about the timing of the franchise tag. The figure I see you throwing around is $14M. So if the Pats apply the franchise tag to Cassel, that means he gets paid $14M for 2009.

From Cassel's standpoint, that's probably fine with him. He was one step away from being out of football, he's not going to be insulted at making $14M.

From the Pats standpoint, wouldn't they need to be assured that another team would be willing to trade for Cassel at $14M? No way the Pats want to keep Cassel at $14M, the only reason the Pats would apply the franchise tag to him is if some other team would want him at that price.

So, could the Pats work out a deal with another team ahead of time? Say for example the Bears would take Cassel at $14M. Can they work out a deal where the Pats franchise Cassel and immediately trade him to Chicago for a draft pick?

I have a hard time believing that any team is willing to pay Cassel $14M. So I don't see how the Pats can franchise him.

I think some team will be willing to pay him $5-8M, and take a chance on giving him a starting job, but I don't think Cassel is viewed as a superstar.

Sections
Shortcuts