Matt Light expected to retire....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Matt Light expected to retire....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/25/longtime-patriots-left-tackle-light-expected-to-retire/

8 mil more off the cap?

This plus Brady and Ocho's restructure seems to leave us with a plethora of cap space. Something with serious magnitude must be coming along with a few contract extensions...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Matt Light expected to retire....

trade for a running back and/or bigtime pass rusher

extend Gronk and Welker

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah, I'd say so. Wasn't convinced with just the Brady thing, but now with all this, something must be going on. Just hope Light can be effectively replaced on the line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Agreed... I think Marcus Cannon will be a good one but I'd like to see us draft another Tackle at some point..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Thanks for the great service Matt.  Happy retirement!

P.S. - Stay in shape

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

I always liked Light. The guy took a lot of heat on this board. At times deserving , but I always thought he did a better job than people bi tched about. He was durable , smart , tough , never caused any problems that we know about. He'll be missed. Thanks for your service!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

According to Rappaport, Pats are planning to use Cannon at tackle, they are concerned with Vollmers back long term. I could see Solder at LT and Connon at RT, with Connolly, Mankins and Waters/Gallery.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/02/21/looking-toward-the-future-marcus-cannon-to-be-considered-an-offensive-tackle/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

when did he announce his retirement?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I know Light was not perfect, certainly got blasted against speed rushers, but I liked him.  I have concerns with Vollmer/back, Solder/concussions. I like both, but they have had early issues.  I hope light can give us one more year and leave with a ring....er another ring

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Too bad, he had one of his best years last year.

He's only 33, I don't see why he needs to retire unless he's been hiding concussions or some other type of undisclosed injury (which very well could be the case). 33 is still young for an offensive tackle that's playing well - never mind the 8 million he's walking away from. I would of sucked it up for one more year (8 million is a lot of money).

This whole I need to spend more time with my family and kids thing doesn't make much sense to me...Any average dad has to work 40 hours a week (and many of us have to travel to boot), we end up doing that for much longer than the average NFL career (we don't retire at 33). How many hours does this guy have to work a week? 25? How many months a year is he actually working? 5, maybe 6? I'll tell you what Matt, suck it up and take the 8 million - your kids can get by with seeing you only 140 hours a week and the majority of 6 months a year...they will need the 8 million more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Light expected to retire....:
    [QUOTE]Agreed... I think Marcus Cannon will be a good one but I'd like to see us draft another Tackle at some point..
    Posted by HOTBLITZ[/QUOTE]

Marcus Cannon cannot play LT.... At all. He is just not quick footed enough. I even think he is a little questionable at RT on passing downs. Certainly good enough to play RG and maybe LG. Good at RT (or LT) for run blocking.

They have Solder and Vollmer (LT, RT) and Cannon. Vollmer's health is a question. Gallery gives more depth as he plays T and G (but he may be insurance if Mankins has trouble coming back). So yes, perhaps they get yet another tackle. THough I think they can wait if they feel their is a different player they want in the draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

For what it's worth, he was just elected as a NFLPA Rep...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

They must be way under the cap with this, ocho's contract, brady's, plus whatever they were before that. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaMax. Show BubbaMax's posts

One year deals are great for 31 year old receivers, don't give Welker an extension. If he loses a step and he will soon he won't hurt your cap situation and you don't re-sign him. Response to Re: Matt Light expected to retire....:
    [QUOTE]trade for a running back and/or bigtime pass rusher extend Gronk and Welker
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

No.  But it's perfectly understandable by way of the OP right here on this BDC Thread...  Still though, No.  The basis for PFT's (PFT, a garbage site, dedicated almost solely to unconfirmed and unsubstantiated rumours, passed off as certain to be fulfilled, fact) column entitled, "Matt Light is expected to Retire" is off of 2 sources:  The original source was from a NE journalist, whom as of this past year or two, has shown himself to be one of the leading proponents of garbage rumour-mill journalism, without named sources, real confirmation, nor truthful accreditation, Ian Rappaport. 

Click on that PFT link with Rappaport as the forwarding news-breaker on this Light expected to retire subject, and Rappaport's absolute & sole conclusions are based on the following (from his op-ed blog in The Boston Herald): "Instead, Cannon will be in the mix with Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer and practice squader Matt Kopa, who is promising. While it hasn’t been said officially, the expectation is that Matt Light will not be back next year (with retirement definitely possible)." (the entirety and even the subject of the article itself, is based on Marcus Cannon, and THEN based on NE's future O-Line younger prospects and what they could provide; The above being the only mentionable of Matt Light).

The second PFT "source" confirming the notion that "Matt Light IS expected to retire" was off of Reiss's ESPN Boston "Quick hits" column- An op-ed random take of various "goings-ons", and a guy who used to be the epitome of credibility, now working for garbage central (but not PFT's 100% garbage central, just ESPN.com's 60% brand of garbage central)- HIS random remarks on Light (centered in a column of small & random takes, on small things which might occuur, or could, or did)...  Reiss writes:  "4. If Patriots offensive tackle Matt Light retires, as expected, it won’t be because he can’t play any more. The 2011 season was one of his best. More than anything, I think it would be because he’s always been about more than football, appreciates the run he’s had, and would like the idea of walking away when he still can."

~~~

That's it...those are the basises of the confirmation that "Matt Light is expected to retire."  I don't care what's offered in terms of the nuances of the language they used, because the implication IS clearly misleading (especially in terms of the non-existance of having a credible named source to base this claim on).  Might it occur?  Of COURSE, Light might retire!?!  But it's still something Rapaport and PFT do far too often:  Wide spread absolutely unconfirmed simply COUNTLESS prognostications, IN-to the 51% (but usually far greater) belief of them having the certainty TO occur, jumble the sources around, jumble the semantics around, and wham-O: PURE Fact=This IS gonna happen.  And it might...I'll just believe it after there's several sourced names attached to it (no, not "unnamed source close to the team"), or when it actually comes to be itself.  

There's a difference between "skepticism" and being deliberately and clearly misled towards the point of what we're seeing above.  NOT Hotblitz's fault that these paid conveyors of credible information are pieces of sh#t lying, slanting, and deceiving used car salesmen having been caught in so many numbered past occurences of having with zero merit or morals to them claiming the things they do, after 1 outta 10 things they try to pass off as something one should "readily expect to happen", Never in fact ever actually happens at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I will be suprised if he does retire. Heck he had a great year and seems heathy. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

the question is, what is going to happen with all this cap space

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Not as much cap space s you might think... For arguments sake lets say Light retires that gives them another 5 million, but when all is said and done they only have a little over 3.5 million in space they can use to go get someone unless they get more room by signing Welker to long term deal which gets them another 3+ in room or trade him which gives them all 9.5 back. Then they have all kinds of room.
    If you want a complete breakdown of the cap look for my thread on just that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]I always liked Light. The guy took a lot of heat on this board. At times deserving , but I always thought he did a better job than people bi tched about. He was durable , smart , tough , never caused any problems that we know about. He'll be missed. Thanks for your service!
    Posted by 1guy1sharp[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.  I too always liked Matt Light.

Solder does seem the logical replacement for him.  Be interesting to see what happens with regards to Pats FA moves and in the draft.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]No.  But it's perfectly understandable by way of the OP right here on this BDC Thread...  Still though, No.  The basis for PFT's (PFT, a garbage site, dedicated almost solely to unconfirmed and unsubstantiated rumours, passed off as certain to be fulfilled, fact) column entitled, "Matt Light is expected to Retire" is off of 2 sources:  The original source was from a NE journalist, whom as of this past year or two, has shown himself to be one of the leading proponents of garbage rumour-mill journalism, without named sources, real confirmation, nor truthful accreditation, Ian Rappaport.  Click on that PFT link with Rappaport as the forwarding news-breaker on this Light expected to retire subject, and Rappaport's absolute & sole conclusions are based on the following (from his op-ed blog in The Boston Herald): " Instead, Cannon will be in the mix with Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer and practice squader Matt Kopa , who is promising. While it hasn’t been said officially, the expectation is that Matt Light will not be back next year (with retirement definitely possible) ." (the entirety and even the subject of the article itself, is based on Marcus Cannon, and THEN based on NE's future O-Line younger prospects and what they could provide; The above being the only mentionable of Matt Light). The second PFT "source" confirming the notion that "Matt Light IS expected to retire" was off of Reiss's ESPN Boston "Quick hits" column- An op-ed random take of various "goings-ons", and a guy who used to be the epitome of credibility, now working for garbage central (but not PFT's 100% garbage central, just ESPN.com's 60% brand of garbage central)- HIS random remarks on Light (centered in a column of small & random takes, on small things which might occuur, or could, or did)...  Reiss writes:  " 4. If Patriots offensive tackle Matt Light retires, as expected, it won’t be because he can’t play any more. The 2011 season was one of his best. More than anything, I think it would be because he’s always been about more than football, appreciates the run he’s had, and would like the idea of walking away when he still can ." ~~~ That's it...those are the basises of the confirmation that "Matt Light is expected to retire."  I don't care what's offered in terms of the nuances of the language they used, because the implication IS clearly misleading (especially in terms of the non-existance of having a credible named source to base this claim on).  Might it occur?  Of COURSE, Light might retire!?!  But it's still something Rapaport and PFT do far too often:  Wide spread absolutely unconfirmed simply COUNTLESS prognostications, IN-to the 51% (but usually far greater) belief of them having the certainty TO occur, jumble the sources around, jumble the semantics around, and wham-O: PURE Fact=This IS gonna happen.  And it might...I'll just believe it after there's several sourced names attached to it (no, not "unnamed source close to the team"), or when it actually comes to be itself.   There's a difference between "skepticism" and being deliberately and clearly misled towards the point of what we're seeing above.  NOT Hotblitz's fault that these paid conveyors of credible information are pieces of sh#t lying, slanting, and deceiving used car salesmen having been caught in so many numbered past occurences of having with zero merit or morals to them claiming the things they do, after 1 outta 10 things they try to pass off as something one should "readily expect to happen", Never in fact ever actually happens at all.           
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

PFT simply reported the term Reiss used to describe Light's status. But you call them garbage for that, and go on and on with another delusional diatribe claiming they attempt to decieve.

Looks like your phoney claims of a moral high ground take yet another hit as the real you shines through to those who actually are willing to slog through your tiresome and dishonest quagmire of words.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Light expected to retire.... : PFT simply reported the term Reiss used to describe Light's status. But you call them garbage for that, and go on and on with another delusional diatribe claiming they attempt to decieve. Looks like your phoney claims of a moral high ground take yet another hit as the real you shines through to those who actually are willing to slog through your tiresome and dishonest quagmire of words.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Babe...you credit Laz for your return from a self imposed 10 minute retirement...and then you tear him up. What gives with that? You can disagree with the guy without calling him "delusional", and referring to him as dishonest.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Light expected to retire.... :      Babe...you credit Laz for your return from a self imposed 10 minute retirement...and then you tear him up. What gives with that? You can disagree with the guy without calling him "delusional", and referring to him as dishonest.  
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

I could. But he has been profusely dishonest so I can't. I credit his dishonesty among other things as the reason for my return. I used to painstakingly try to ignore Laz. No more.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Enough with the name calling babe...jeezis...acting like a third grader isn't going to make your points hold any extra value.  You can bring some good discussion here, but stop acting like stupid troll.  Enough already...

As for Light...while we're probably going to need his cap room should he retire, he was fantastic last year and would think he can help us in the coming year.  I think it was one of the best years of his career.  He was outstanding from start to finish.

If he wants to retire, I certainly wish him the best of luck in all that he decides to do.

Sections
Shortcuts