Matt Light: Fans Could be Louder...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Matt Light: Fans Could be Louder...

I listened to Matt Light's interview on WEEI a few minutes ago and he touched on something I noticed during my own trip to Boston. I'm from Atlanta but I flew up for the Miami game in November. Honestly, I was disappointed in how loud the home crowd really was. We were coming off two good wins, the Dolphins were playing well, it was a good divisional game that would have launched us into Indy, Jets and Saints.

Light was asked if he felt the home crowd has been disappointing this season. He agreed that it had and that even though it didn't ultimately matter, it was still something the players would appreciate. He also said that it seems like fans are reluctant because our play this year hasn't reminded them of years past. Another interesting point he made was the fact that the team has to find a new identity each year and similarly, the fans should find a reason each year, every year, to support the Patriots.

I thought I was the only one who noticed the home crowd.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

Re: Matt Light: Fans Could be Louder...

Everyone always comments on this point at some time during the playoffs.  Not sure if it's the stadium design, the rowdies being phased out by ticket prices, or if fans really aren't as loud at Gillette.  I've lived down South since the Razor was built and was only able to attend Pats games at the old Sullivan Stadium, so I can't comment from personal experience.  I will say in comparison while watching on the b.o.o.b tube, Gillette always seems relatively quiet to other fields.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjrpatfan. Show mjrpatfan's posts

Not a season ticket holder,but I try to get to at least 1 game a year... this year.. went to 2.. Falcons and Panthers.. couldn't get tickets at a reasonable price for a division game or an AFC game for that matter, and trust me, I paid alot for the 2 games I did go to...

Falcons.. lower level end zone seats.. heard a lot of yelling, unfortunately, it was from supposed fans calling for Brady's head... one guy screamed Brady you s u c k, should have kept Cassel... FOR REAL???

Panthers game.... alot has been written about that game... the infamous Randy Moss laid down game..

I was disgusted.. again lower level, 10 yard line... people behind me asked me to sit when I stood to yell.. WHAT???

When the rain came... they all left, so it was no problem..and I suffered with laryngitis for days afterwards.. (worth it!!)

Trust me, you give me a ticket for every game, you will have one loud crazy red head... yelling her head off at every game.. when the D is on the field

Be loud this weekend.... let our guys know we're there for them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I, in fact, sat in the 3rd row behind the Patriots bench. Paid a bundle but I figured if I was going to fly up to see a game, it's not worth sitting up top. I always expected Gillette to be this loud, downright obnoxious place for opposing teams but now it seems like it's more of the weather advantage that the team has versus the fans.

The Miami game was a close game until midway through the fourth, yet I had four old people in front of me who just ate, four people behind me who kept talking about the Giants game that week, and other timid folks around.

I certainly don't think the fans are the worst in football but I watched three Super Bowl seasons from Atlanta, and a perfect season from Atlanta. I guess the whole time I was planning my trip, I thought 'man, Gillette is going to be raucous.' Perhaps it was my being naive but then again, the team is a success like no other. Not even a one-hit wonder but a decade-long excellence, benchmark for the entire league. Given what I've seen for Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics games, I thought the fans at Gillette were weak. Hell, I even went to the Suns/Celtics game that Friday night and noticed a ridiculously loud crowd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjrpatfan. Show mjrpatfan's posts

Nice seats, apdynasty23... I never seem to get on the Pats side... for whatever reason.. 

I watched the NO game on tv, and was amazed at the crowd noise.. yea, the dome helps, but cmon, I've never heard that at a Pats game.

Well , I know one thing, I'll be yelling from my living room... not that it helps the team.. but here's hoping they won't need it anyway.. here's hoping a blow out in the 1st half..........my gut is telling me different, but a girl can dream, right??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

First: 9/13/2009
    Last: 1/8/2010
    I, in fact, sat in the 3rd row behind the Patriots bench. Paid a bundle but I figured if I was going to fly up to see a game, it's not worth sitting up top. I always expected Gillette to be this loud, downright obnoxious place for opposing teams but now it seems like it's more of the weather advantage that the team has versus the fans.

The Miami game was a close game until midway through the fourth, yet I had four old people in front of me who just ate, four people behind me who kept talking about the Giants game that week, and other timid folks around.

I certainly don't think the fans are the worst in football but I watched three Super Bowl seasons from Atlanta, and a perfect season from Atlanta. I guess the whole time I was planning my trip, I thought 'man, Gillette is going to be raucous.' Perhaps it was my being naive but then again, the team is a success like no other. Not even a one-hit wonder but a decade-long excellence, benchmark for the entire league. Given what I've seen for Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics games, I thought the fans at Gillette were weak. Hell, I even went to the Suns/Celtics game that Friday night and noticed a ridiculously loud crowd.
    I didn't realize you were from Atlanta. I live about an hour south. I, too, have witnessed all of these dynastic memories from down here in Georgia, so needless to say, it's good to meet someone on this site that shares my situation. I've been telling my wife for 3 years now that "one day soon, we're gonna fly up to the razor to see a game." Maybe next year...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Judging from the Pats home record it can't be  that much of a disadvantage. We've had threads on this before and lets face it... If they want loud fans they need to sell general admision tickets the day of the game for a price affordable by Joe Six Pack. Then they will get people that want to be there and scream every week and if they Sukkk Nobody will show up. I doubt very much Kraft cares who he sells his stadium out to every week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AdrenalineJunkie. Show AdrenalineJunkie's posts

I've only been able to go to one game... 2007 season, game against the Jets.

I had a great time, but I had three guys next to me, that spent the entire game talking about their FF team and bitching at TB b/c he wasn't throwing enough for them to win their FF game that week! They kept complaining every time they ran the ball. I couldn't believe it... it was snowing and windy, and they were more concerned with their Fantasy Football (and pissed at the players) than the actual game on the field.

I still had a great time, and had no voice by the end of the game. And it's always fun when there is snow and they score a touchdown, to just watch everyone throw all that snow in the air!

I hope it gets really loud this weekend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Ew, good point on the business aspect of it but still, when I look at the city of Boston from afar, especially judging their passion for sports in general, I find it alarming that even the "wealthier" fans in Boston can't create much homefield advantage. I despise Atlanta with sports because the town is by definition FAIRWEATHER. I just expected more from the Patriots faithful.

Dynasty, my man! You and the family definitely have to go up. Hit up Stubhub for tickets (it's a little more expensive but worth it if you're flying up) and you can get good tickets almost anywhere in the stadium. If you're die-hard like I am, you'll have fun soaking in the Hall too. I just graduated college and started my own company. Hopefully, if things pan out well for me, I plan to be a season-ticket holder from here!!!! It's definitely one of my motivations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Yeah, and Matt light could have not been a human turnstile in the 2007 Superbowl. But he was. What's his point ? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

The point is at least he tried.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Oh I think the problem went beyond Matt Light in the Super Bowl.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

It's the people, not the stadium.  It's POSSIBLE to make Gillette Country Club loud, but it requires more than 1/10 fans to cheer out loud.

This year I wondered if the Pats were pumping in crowd noise.  Much like the shots they show of those "raucous" crowds in Indianapolis (where none of them seem to have their mouths open or are screaming in any way, shape, or form), a survey of fans at Gillette Country Club on key third down plays makes clear the fact that few fans actually cheer out loud.

I'll lose my voice and never be heard.  The fan base has come to consist of dumb b*tches like the ones who sat in Section 111, Row 2, Seats 1-2 during the home game against the Jets, who spent the majority of the game making fun of me for screaming so much.  I believe they filed a complaint that resulted in the security people banning me from taking pictures of my "J-E-T-S $UCK $UCK $UCK" sign at the end of the game.

I f*ck*ng hate 95% of the fans at Gillette Stadium.  GO HOME!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

i've always had seats in the upper levels because I can't afford big tickets but it always seemed a lot of people where yelling and the people where really into the games

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

First: 12/30/2008
    Last: 1/9/2010

Yeah, and Matt light could have not been a human turnstile in the 2007 Superbowl. But he was. What's his point ? 

I have to agree with dafoe. This "Door" Matt should be more worried about the DE/OLB he is supposed to be blocking than the crowd noise. And speaking of this turnstyle, why he is on the NFL network speaking about offensive line play like he is all world?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Light: Fans Could be Louder...:
    Ew, good point on the business aspect of it but still, when I look at the city of Boston from afar, especially judging their passion for sports in general, I find it alarming that even the "wealthier" fans in Boston can't create much homefield advantage. I despise Atlanta with sports because the town is by definition FAIRWEATHER. I just expected more from the Patriots faithful.
    Posted by apdynasty23

You know, I always used to think If I moved south Atlanta would be a good location because I could always get tickets when the Boston teams came to town. I haven't had season tickets to the pats since 1996 but apparently the average seat holder has changed quite a bit judging from what some of the other posters have said. It sounds like a lot of people are there because it's "The Place to be" and a popular event. For the Wine and cheese crowd the outcome of the game is almost secondary to the social event. At least we're sold out every week and I get to see it all on TV.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

To everyone who will be able to go to the game; Iwish I were you. I'll be watching from my cave and I know my wife wiil yell 'what's wrong' when I start yelling at the t.v., so, c'mon folks I'd really love to hear you all screaming from my cave THIS IS THE PLAYOFFS!!!! The Pats are in and its a new season everyone is 0-0. GO PATS!!!!!KMc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Well, I think Light has a point. It just bugs me to hear a player calling fans out- the people making a fraction of what these guys are making, yet paying their salary. I remember Seymour doing it a few years ago. I never liked him after that.

I try to stay away from bashing current Pats players. Tom Brady's decision making since 07 has been driving me nuts. But I've kept my mouth shut for the most part because of what he's done for the team in the past.

But Light is one of my least favorite Patriots. My friends and I have a running joke: We call him Matt Green Light. Because guys run right through him. And yes, the entire line was terrible in that Superbowl. But Light has been consistently bad for a couple of years now. So the comment got under my skin a little bit more than if had come from somebody like Welker or even an ex like Troy Brown.

And I don't know for a fact that Matt Light is giving 100%  I'm not saying that he is or he isn't. But when somebody is as consistently bad as Light has been, let's just say I'm a little less certain than some others.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's really very simple.

If you are able to speak audibly the day after you attend the Pats game, then you have not done your job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm a season ticket holder. I think the main problem is the design of the stadium. It is so open that sound just dissipates.  The loud stadiums are more enclosed or have a shape that puts fans closer to the field or that focuses the sound more on the field. Gillette is open and the stands slope away from the field gently, with the upper deck very far from the field. The fans are spread out and there's no wall to contain and concentrate the sound.  Another problem at Gillette is the lack of anything (like metal benches) to pound on.  It's hard to clap loud with gloves on during the winter--and the old metal benches were better than the current plastic seats when you needed some assistance to supplement the noise you can make with just your hands or your voice. I don't think there's a problem with fan passion, and I've heard Gillette get really loud (like during the Monday night Buffalo game)--but the fans have to work very hard to get it that loud, and even good fans have difficultly sustaining peak volume through an entire game.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

You know, I think that might be the first time I've seen anybody post anything nice about those horrid metal bleachers at the old stadium.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

Aucustics are in issue - I went to a Bruce Sprinsteen concert in 2003 and could barely hear the music. Granted, its was a rainy/foggy day, but still the stadium is too open to pull the niose down on the field. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

It is the same stadium as a few years ago and the crowd seemed much louder back than.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

It's not the stadium...it's the fans. I have no love for the Seahawks at all, but that stadium is every bit as open, perhaps more so, than the Razor and it flat out rocks--even when the Seahawks s uck, which is more often than not.

As bn noted, I was very disappointed to see that good tickets were available on ticktmaster on Monday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Seattlemaslow, I have relatives in Seattle and they tell me Paul Allen made sure that Quest Field was designed to be loud.  The stadium has a small footprint, so the fans are close to the field, and the design of the stadium focuses sound on the field.  

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"The site is the smallest of those developed for new NFL stadiums.[20] The upper levels were cantilevered over the lower sections to fit within the limited space. This, along with the angle of seats and the placement of the lower sections closer to the field, provided a better view of the field than typically seen throughout the country and allowed for a 67,000 seat capacity. . . .The seating decks and partial roof direct exceptional amounts of crowd noise onto the field. The most vocal fans sit in the north end zone bleachers and their sound is amplified due to the metal bleachers."

Sections
Shortcuts