Matt Light Retiring???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Matt Light Retiring???

The Boston Herald reports LT Matt Light is considering retirement, and that the "expectation" is he won't be back with the Patriots in 2012.

Light hasn't commented on his future since the Patriots' Super Bowl loss, and as far as we know, he never publicly broached the idea of retirement during the 2011 season. Including the playoffs, he allowed just 2.5 sacks in 18 starts last season. Were Light to retire, Nate Solder would be his logical replacement on the blindside.

Didn't see this one,
    might change the draft approch

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Matt Light Retiring???

I see that rotoworld is sourcing this to the Herald, but I don't see anything there.  Link?

I really hope this isn't true though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

why retire after you finally had your first good year.  guy was crap until last year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow, I wouldn't think of it but with his cap number I'm not sure the Pats would keep him around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Light Retiring???:
    why retire after you finally had your first good year.  guy was crap until last year. 
    Posted by getdrunkstupit

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/02/21/looking-toward-the-future-marcus-cannon-to-be-considered-an-offensive-tackle/#more-17244

thats the story 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Light Retiring??? : lol People are so stupid.  Light has had one of the more underrated careers of any LT in recent memory. His worst year was 2009 when he was hurt,  but the entire O Line was dinged up anyway. If he retires do we get more cap space?  I forget how that works.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

His cap hit for 2012 is 8mil currently. If they cut him they save 5mil against the cap. If he retires then I believe they still have to account for all the remaining bonus in that year so they still only save 5mil. So regardless if he gets cut or retires the cap savings should remain the same since this is the last year of his contract

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

With Light And Waters retiring 
    probably OL will be the main focus round one and two 
    and no more trading down

this is a deep OL draft 
    so we will hear a lot of names

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

According to the Boston Herald, LT Matt Light's two-year, $12 million contract signed last July was essentially a one-year, $7 million guarantee.

Light had a fine season at age 33, but he hinted that the Patriots may not even want him back for the second year of that deal with Nate Solder ready to take over. Light will reportedly contemplate retirement this offseason.

So there will be no cap hit

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I hope he can stay one more season.  He played great this year and in the Super Bowl.  He's still got it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With Light And Waters retiring  probably OL will be the main focus round one and two  and no more trading down this is a deep OL draft  so we will hear a lot of names
    Posted by yakv

It's good for up front talent (top 25) but there are a lot of teams in that range that need OL help and a number of teams in front of us the need a lot of OL help. Odds are some of the top OL won't fall to us and truthfully the talent in the OL towards the back of the 1st to the beginning of the 3rd is very weak and are more then couple of steps below the top tier OL in the draft. We aren't in a good position to get a top end OL in this draft. Look more for some underrated smaller school OL in the 3rd-6th rounds

The good note is that a number of teams are dumping OL in salary dumps. Over payed G's seem like the most with their heads on the block. Cannon will move to T full time as depth so I'm not concerned about the T position but the G position is becoming a concern if Waters does retire

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Why not just keep him and pay him for one more year at that price? The guy certainly played like a 7 million per year tackle for us last season. Now we are going to have to draft another offensive lineman reasonable high to replace him and Waters for depth behind Cannon and Solder.

We have other problems, I'd hate to think the offensive line will be one of them. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I hope not, light has always been solid, doesn't get hurt much and is a good guy. He had one of his best seasons in 2011 and isn't showing any signs of slowing down. He would be a big loss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

$5m of cap room frees up if Light retires. 
    $2.25m for Waters.

7.5m for wes welker  
    what a great Coincidence

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am of the opinion that C is still the #1 need for the Pats.
    I dont think it a coincidence the way the contract was structured that the Pats and Light knew this was coming.
    I have not heard it was a definate that Waters was not coming back?
    I would feel a lot better with;
    T-Vollmer, Solder, Cannon
    G-Mankings, Waters, Connelly
    C-draft choice, Connelly, Wendell

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

$5 million in cap savings isn't much when you consider that we would be losing the best Olineman on our team from this past year. Light was playing great, why would he want to retire?

If he does retire, we wont be that much worse off due to the guys we have at OT but having him back would be great. Waters also is thinking about retiring, I'm praying he stays.

If we lose both guys and don't bring back Koppen, Oline becomes a big time need.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I wouldnt let Light retire until we figure out whats up with Vollmer.  I think Light got torched by speed rushers like Freeney etc. Light

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

When did Waters officially retire?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wouldnt let Light retire until we figure out whats up with Vollmer.  I think Light got torched by speed rushers like Freeney etc. Light
    Posted by Philskiw1

Well it's kind of his decision so it's up to him whether he retires or not ultimately. Not sure what you can do to prevent him from retiring if that's what's on his mind

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well it's kind of his decision so it's up to him whether he retires or not ultimately.
    Not sure what you can do to prevent him from retiring if that's what's on his mind

Understand that but in a world of what can you do for me the pot can be sweetened. Strayhan was convinced the one more season, the Bus...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well it's kind of his decision so it's up to him whether he retires or not ultimately. Not sure what you can do to prevent him from retiring if that's what's on his mind Understand that but in a world of what can you do for me the pot can be sweetened. Strayhan was convinced the one more season, the Bus...
    Posted by Philskiw1

So you make Solder sit for another year and pay Light more or pay Light more to sit and play Solder as your starter? Either way you would have to sit one or the other. Playing Solder at RT for 2 years might make it hard for him to switch to LT once he gets his routines down. Why stint you LT of the future for one more year at a higher priced LT? Unless you don't think Solder can take over the role.

Though I wouldn't mind Light back that 5mil can be put to better use if Solder is capable of taking over the LT position and Vollmer is ready to go next season. They are also very high on Cannon being a full time T so they have a capable backup.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Light Retiring??? : So you make Solder sit for another year and pay Light more or pay Light more to sit and play Solder as your starter? Either way you would have to sit one or the other. Playing Solder at RT for 2 years might make it hard for him to switch to LT once he gets his routines down. Why stint you LT of the future for one more year at a higher priced LT? Unless you don't think Solder can take over the role. Though I wouldn't mind Light back that 5mil can be put to better use if Solder is capable of taking over the LT position and Vollmer is ready to go next season. They are also very high on Cannon being a full time T so they have a capable backup.  
    Posted by PatsEng

MEOW, PatsEng!!!  Yeah, let's go with the young uns and pay the money to Marion Williams and/or Griffin of Texans!  What say you Pats Eng - or are you sweet on Matt Light????

Sections
Shortcuts