Matt Light Retiring???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Matt Light Retiring???

So you make Solder sit for another year and pay Light more or pay Light more to sit and play Solder as your starter? Either way you would have to sit one or the other. Playing Solder at RT for 2 years might make it hard for him to switch to LT once he gets his routines down. Why stint you LT of the future for one more year at a higher priced LT? Unless you don't think Solder can take over the role.

Though I wouldn't mind Light back that 5mil can be put to better use if Solder is capable of taking over the LT position and Vollmer is ready to go next season. They are also very high on Cannon being a full time T so they have a capable backup. 

I'd start out like this. Rotate Light and Solder. Rotate Cannon and Volllmer. Give Vollmer some reps at LT. Light had knee issues and who knows if thats going to happen. Solder missed some blocks this year. Wasn't it him who missed the block that got Brady crushed?  IMHO Solder plays better LT then RT. Vollmer looks better on the right but can play LT if needed. I wouldnt want to go into the season with just Solder on the left side.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Light Retiring???:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Light Retiring??? : Well it's kind of his decision so it's up to him whether he retires or not ultimately. Not sure what you can do to prevent him from retiring if that's what's on his mind
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

captain obvious you are.  so smart.  shattap

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]So you make Solder sit for another year and pay Light more or pay Light more to sit and play Solder as your starter? Either way you would have to sit one or the other. Playing Solder at RT for 2 years might make it hard for him to switch to LT once he gets his routines down. Why stint you LT of the future for one more year at a higher priced LT? Unless you don't think Solder can take over the role. Though I wouldn't mind Light back that 5mil can be put to better use if Solder is capable of taking over the LT position and Vollmer is ready to go next season. They are also very high on Cannon being a full time T so they have a capable backup.  I'd start out like this. Rotate Light and Solder. Rotate Cannon and Volllmer. Give Vollmer some reps at LT. Light had knee issues and who knows if thats going to happen. Solder missed some blocks this year. Wasn't it him who missed the block that got Brady crushed?  IMHO Solder plays better LT then RT. Vollmer looks better on the right but can play LT if needed. I wouldnt want to go into the season with just Solder on the left side.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

OL is the one area you don't want to rotate. OL's operate best when they play together for long stretches and get in sync with each other. Having a rotation would only serve to break that connection. It's best shown whenever a player goes down injured. The OL doesn't always gel right away and sometimes will take a full game to get use to each other. Pulling guys in and out of the line consistently is going to get Brady killed. The only time they did switch up line this past year was either due to injury or during running formations where Cannon came in to move Solder into the 3rd TE position. But, I don't remember a single instance in the entirety of Brady's career or Bledsoe's which they switched OL in and out in a game without being due to injury.

So you are either going to pay 8+mil to be a backup or you're going to site your future LT on the bench and not getting reps because you paid Light 8+mil (his salary this year is 8mil but if released you would save 5mil against cap). Either way you take a large cap hit 8+mil to basically have a back-up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotzking18. Show patriotzking18's posts

I would hate to see Light go, but sometimes its to go out on a good note rather thank coming back and having a bad season or risking injury. Plus I think as long as coach Dante is coaching that O-line no matter whose on it Brady is safe. Especially if we resign Koppen and Conolly. LT: Nate Solder LG: Logan Mankins C: Dan Koppen RG: Brian Waters (If he doesn't retire)/Dan Conolly RT: Sebastian Vollomer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, well, actually his retiring would help our FA position in the market.  I;ve always been a big fan because of his overall consistency and durability, but it may be time for him to move on.  Stinks they couldn't win a SB for him on the way out. I would expect he and Faulk are done. Usually when you hear "contemplating" retirement, that's it.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

He's got 3 rings. He's probably ok with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Part of signing a contract is the $6 million immediate bonus and the other part is playing out the contract's 2012 season for a residual $5 million.

If Matt Light wants to play for one more year and if the Patriots cut him, he can go sign another contract with, say, the Jets for perhaps $3 million.  Ex-Patriots are always grossly overpaid by other teams, especially Patriots that have gone 134-43 in the regular season under their tenure, and 16-6 in the playoffs.  If the Patriots wanted him for a total of $8 million a year, $3 million for a slowed-down Patriot isn't too hard to see.

Cutting Light isn't a bargain to the Patriots unless Light agrees to stay retired.  If a slightly slowed Light just wants to be an average backup tackle with plenty of experience in the Patriots system, BB will probably keep him around.

Light signed a 2 year contract last July.  I think that at the time he expected to stay through the 2012 season before he retires.  He doesn't appear to be terribly injured right at this point, and the money's kind of tempting at Light's level.  Next year he can pull down a lot more in weekly salary than he will at any time during the rest of his life.  If I were into the body abuse business called football I might be willing to sell off a bit more of my body for another $5 million or so.  Get a $5 million dollar biceps injury in preseason, get tossed on injured reserve for the season, collect the $5 million and go buy a whopping big dude ranch in Montana.

If Light doesn't retire, Nate Solder is skilled enough to make a living at tight end and Cannon will soon be skilled enough and experienced enough to be a starting tackle or guard, if either Sebastian Vollmer, Logan Mankins or Brian Waters would let him start. 

What BB really needs is a good center.  Dan Connolly wasn't that good, although he can return kickoffs quite well.  Maybe someone would like to volunteer for the center job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]I am of the opinion that C is still the #1 need for the Pats. I dont think it a coincidence the way the contract was structured that the Pats and Light knew this was coming. I have not heard it was a definate that Waters was not coming back? I would feel a lot better with; T-Vollmer, Solder, Cannon G-Mankings, Waters, Connelly C-draft choice, Connelly, Wendell
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    Lots of scouts projected Cannon as a guard. I think you'll see him playing both positions come training camp.

As Rusty has said the Patriots need a 6' 4" 315+ lbs center who can push the defensive linemen and stop teams from collapsing the pocket. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I am a Matt Light Fan first of all. He has been a very solid LT protecting Brady exceptionally well needing help only on a rare occasion. This allowed a lot of stunting by the rest of the line to know his Blind side was set. We all remember how bad 2009 was because Light was hurt so...

I figured the Oline would look like this for 2012 anyway:

LT: Solder- he's ready
    LG: Mankins-One of best OG's in NFL
    C:  Koppen unless we can draft a Center like Peter Konz Wisc. who can be had
         @31, I also like Scott Wells who is a Free agent with Green Bay. Might be
         the best Center in the NFL, probably will cost more then Pats want to spend
         but he would be a definate upgrade. I don't dislike Koppen but I have always
         felt like we could do better there.
    RG: Cannon- Should be ready but we have backups if not.
    RT: Sebas-not worried here.

I am ok with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I dont know how you can say Solder is ready and you have no worries about vollmer. Solder got beat up a few games this year and Vollmer was basically a no show. Mankins I personally dont think lived up to his pay. If he did we'd been running to his side a lot more.
    IMHO this was Lights first real good year in a while. I'm all for keeping him as a backup. A 1 or 2 year deal would probably cost us the 5 M anyway. Let Light finish this contract, try to get a center and go with what we have. The practice squad will be a good place to groom other linemen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

If light retires, then we're looking at the following most likely:

LT: Nate Solder
    LG: Logan Mankins
    C: Dan Conolly
    RG: Brian Waters
    RT: Sebastian Vollomer

This isn't too bad, but it's VERY thin - OL would be a big need, even without Waters possibly retiring. Koppen is most likely done as a Pat. I'm not sure whether we'd try to address this via FA or the draft, but either would be valuable time away from finding the other psoitions of need - WR, S, CB, pass rusher

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

1 of 3 things will happen I figure:

1) He retires, end of story.

2) He gets cut, Pats save 5 mil, he signs elsewhere.

or, what I tend to think,

3) He restructures his base down to the vet minimum, and still collects roughly 3mil in bonuses. Stays on the team and saves them about 4mil, or slightly less than it will take to cover the incoming rookies. That then leaves them their 20 to resign/sign players.

I can't see Matt Light entering the season as one of the 3 or 4 highest paid Pats, his cap number would exceed both Mayo and Wilfork as well as Mankins.