Matt Light to Retire

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Matt Light to Retire

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/18/source-matt-light-will-retire/

Solid player for a long time and big part of their championship years, thank you Matt and best of luck in your post playing career.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: Matt Light to Retire

I'm glad Solder saw alot of action last year.

Mankins and Solder for the next few years on the left side.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Sure woulda liked him to stick around.  Kinda young to be hanging them up.  Injuries mounting up?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Been a great part of the O-line. i'm sure someone will step up and fill the gap.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Wish him all of the best...I didn't realize he was so young (33 years old)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB has Vollmer, Solder and Cannon all ready this year.  Both Solder and Cannon are expected to take a pretty good jump forward in their second years.  Light would have to watch from the bench, and that's hard for a starter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Another 3 SB guy who helped build the "Patriot Way" no longer in the locker room. We need some of these guys to step up and lead this team, to me it's the difference between winning games and winning championships. thank you Matt Light for all the years of quality football you contributed to. Enjoy your retirement.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

now the oline can get good on the left side.  guy was garbage until his final year

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

How many people ripped BB for the Solder pick last year, and McCorty the year before. Thankfully BB is the GM

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

with waters also getting close there, they may need to get an OL in the draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Light to Retire:
    [QUOTE]Sure woulda liked him to stick around.  Kinda young to be hanging them up.  Injuries mounting up?
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

I LOVE Matt Light, so please, nobody take anything I'm about to say as a slight.

I remember reading an article after the 07 loss about Light. Someone had tracked him down at some hole in the wall bar out in the midwest somewhere. He plays football because he's good at it, he's never been 'in love' with the game. That's not to say he ever took anything for granted, but it doesn't really surprise me he's hanging them up now. And good for him. He still has some physical abilities left, he can live his life somewhat normally rather than the steady diet of surgeries that follow so many former players around.

He can focus on his passions, which are some mixture of hunting, fishing, and just generally being "outdoorsie" (word? at any rate...) and being a family man. Interesting article today at the herald:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20220418matt_light_remains_mum_on_his_future/srvc=home&position=also

No surprise his foundation is hosting a turkey shoot. He's just a good ol' redneck, nothing wrong with that.

Thank you for the service, I will always think you were too harshly judged in your final few years here, he's kept Brady mostly healthy for his entire playing career. Someone else now has very big shoes to fill.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A great Patriot. Wish him all the best. (But kinda wish he was sticking around for one more year. Of course, if I were in his shoes, I'd want to take the fall off and go hunting too.)  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

BB will likely have his number on speed dial should we get too many injuries along the OL.

He's retiring at the right time.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Are we sure he is retiring?  This evening, Mike Florio reported Light was retiring, but apparently Light was noncommital one way or the other earlier today.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

I wish he could give it 1 more year but I can understand if he doesn't want to go through the grind again. SB runs take alot out of players and since he already has 3 rings its understandable to leave while he is still in good health and all. If he retires I thank him for protecting Brady's blind side for the last decade!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Matt Light to Retire : a very good player...made enough money, took enough punishment to his body and can hang em up relatively healthy at 33...wish him good luck
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Agreed...but wish he would play one more year. Now, the Pats will likely have to use one of their top draft picks on the OL.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

On one hand, we do have Solder/Vollmer/Cannon so its not like we now have a giant void at Tackle BUT last year was by far Light's best year and its sad to see such a great player leave when playing at such a high level.

Wish you all the best with your post football adventures Matt!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Thanks for you service mr light.

We have solder, volmer, cannon at tacke, and koppen, mankins, waters, connoly on the inside.  We are set unless we have a bad case of the injury bug.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'll wait to say goodbye until "a source" has been named. Preferably that source is named Matt Light. After all PFT had a source telling us Terry Bradshaw was dead and they are still looking for the gunman in the grassy knoll who killed McNair.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

If this is the case, I wish him the best and offer my sincerest thanks for his service to the team...Light was one of the more chronically under-rated players, not just in NE, but around the league.  Fact of the matter is he's been a top 7 Left Tackle for just about his entire career, the definition of a "rock" at the blindside spot.  Was he ever truly "elite"?  Maybe not, but he was very-very good season after season, was a pillar in the locker room and community, and never caused any distractions or whatnot.  Nate Solder will be ready to fill the void.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Just heard it come across ESPN radio. Unfortunately work interfered with my Pats fan focus and I didn't get the whole piece. 

I have always been a Matt Light fan.  Not the best LT in the league; I think we all know that.  But the guy was solid and he'll be missed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

[QUOTE]now the oline can get good on the left side.  guy was garbage until his final year
    Posted by getdrunkstupit[/QUOTE]

Troll much fool?

Sections
Shortcuts