Matt Patricia Has No Excuses This Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Matt Patricia Has No Excuses This Year

Matt Patricia Has No Excuses This Year........barring a list of injuries like last year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Matt Patricia Has No Excuses This Year

The conversions on 3rd down has to be vastly improved.
    3 and Outs, is going to be my theme this season. If ever there was a team that needs to put the Offense back on the field as fast as possible, its this one.
    With a great Defense we could be way better than 07. You wont see the scores like all like to see, you might see good ole fashion situational, fundamental, smart football, in all 3 phases.
    Those are the Teams that win it all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

3 and Outs, is going to be my theme this season. If ever there was a team that needs to put the Offense back on the field as fast as possible, its this one.

[/QUOTE]

On the defensive side of the ball, it will be red zone defense, points against, takeaway/giveaway ratio, pass defense, and an emphasis on the pass rush. Very optimistic.....it feels like we are thiiiiis close.......lol :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They need to get their 3rd down % to somewhere in the 34 - 37 % range.

Last year they  at 43%.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year they  at 43%.

[/QUOTE]

to exand

top 5 for points against

top 5 for red zone defense

top 5 for takeaway/giveaway ratio

10-15 for pass defense

15-20 for rush defense

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Matt Patricia Has No Excuses This Year........barring a list of injuries like last year.

[/QUOTE]

True Dat!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year they  at 43%.

[/QUOTE]

to exand

top 5 for points against

top 5 for red zone defense

top 5 for takeaway/giveaway ratio

10-15 for pass defense

15-20 for rush defense

[/QUOTE]

I think we can do better than that in pass defense. I know historically we have been bend but dont break but I see that changing this year. I expect us to be in the top 5 of pass defenses or I will be a bit disappointed. We can be middle of the pack in rush D but it will likely be due to teams not wanting to pass....well atleast I hope.

Weve always been decent to good in redzone and points scored. We need to cut down yards against to give Brady more chances to score. Thats why Yards against are bad....TOP gets eaten up. I expect 3rd down D to be much better with an emphasis on pass rush and better cover guys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Also hope we are the best tackling team in the NFL, with the smartest players on Defense. This is on Patricia. Getting ready for any situation during the game. More games are lost above the shoulders, than the 40 yard bomb.

That's why BB takes a lot of Timeouts on the Defensive side of the ball, he knows the importance of the situation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we can do better than that in pass defense. I know historically we have been bend but dont break but I see that changing this year. I expect us to be in the top 5 of pass defenses or I will be a bit disappointed. We can be middle of the pack in rush D but it will likely be due to teams not wanting to pass....well atleast I hope.

Weve always been decent to good in redzone and points scored. We need to cut down yards against to give Brady more chances to score. Thats why Yards against are bad....TOP gets eaten up. I expect 3rd down D to be much better with an emphasis on pass rush and better cover guys.

[/QUOTE]

maybe, but I don't think they need to be. Would rather be stellar when it comes to red zone defense and points against

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

You rather have other team take time-off clock, and change field position. Interesting. Me I want to stop other team on their side of the 20, fast. Get it to the Offense.
    Of course if other team is in the Red Zone, I hope the Pats minimize the damage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

You rather have other team take time-off clock, and change field position. Interesting. Me I want to stop other team on their side of the 20, fast. Get it to the Offense.
    Of course if other team is in the Red Zone, I hope the Pats minimize the damage.

[/QUOTE]

it depends. It sure would be nice to get the d off the field on a more regular basis.  Sure, get a takeaway in opponents 20 and score some points...or simply get off the field more consistently between the 30s

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is my stance. I want us to hold teams to FGs WHEN they get there, but I dont want teams living in the redzone because the odds say they are gonna score more often than not. So its nice that we "usually" hold to FGs but when postseason came..... We held Denver to some FGs but the fact they had the ball all day negated any positive redzone #'s. So thats why I think it ALL needs to be better if we are talking winning a SB. Weve consistently gotten to the AFC Title game with a middle of the pack D. So IMO we need to take that leap to being a dominating D. We need to limit teams getting to redzone first and then hold to FGs when they DO get there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is my stance. I want us to hold teams to FGs WHEN they get there, but I dont want teams living in the redzone because the odds say they are gonna score more often than not. So its nice that we "usually" hold to FGs but when postseason came..... We held Denver to some FGs but the fact they had the ball all day negated any positive redzone #'s. So thats why I think it ALL needs to be better if we are talking winning a SB. Weve consistently gotten to the AFC Title game with a middle of the pack D. So IMO we need to take that leap to being a dominating D. We need to limit teams getting to redzone first and then hold to FGs when they DO get there.

[/QUOTE]

can't argue w/ that too much. IMO, the question marks for the defense at this time is DL play....and pass rush.  When we are in the playoffs facing a team that matches well against the Patriot offense - our defense has to play that much better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Giving up yards but not points has been OK to a certain degree.  

On the last possession of a close game when the opponent has 4 downs to make a first the Pats have been in trouble.

Also the D is gassed late in games from being on the field too long.

More short fields for the O would be nice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On the last possession of a close game when the opponent has 4 downs to make a first the Pats have been in trouble.

[/QUOTE]

I guess the million dollar question has always been....did the Patriots give up yards between the 20s because of the scheme or simply because they didn't have the personnel to do anything different.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I remember wanting to watch our defense more than our offense back in the early to mid 00's because of how fun they were to watch and how effective they could be at shutting teams down.  This may be the first time in a long time I have that feeling again.  Watching our D give up 3rd and 20's regularly was giving me ulcers. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I remember wanting to watch our defense more than our offense back in the early to mid 00's because of how fun they were to watch and how effective they could be at shutting teams down.  This may be the first time in a long time I have that feeling again.  Watching our D give up 3rd and 20's regularly was giving me ulcers. 

lol...there was a certain element of confidence in the defense way back when.  Altho my memory is not so good anymore, I choose to remember that they were "clutch"  during critical parts of big games.

It would be nice to have that confidence in the d again; especially when playing teams that match up well against our offense

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess the million dollar question has always been....did the Patriots give up yards between the 20s because of the scheme or simply because they didn't have the personnel to do anything different.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, they gave up yards between the 20's because they were forced to play schemes to compeneste for their lack of talent at some positions and cover for injuries at other positions. The bend but don't break was employed out of necessity at times the past few years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think you need to wait and see on this defense. Until we see Vince and Kelley in real games, you just never know. Last years replacements simply werent very good, and I think it is going to take Easley 10-12 games to get onto the fild in a meaningful way.

I also need to see some LB play that includes covering some one. We simply have not seen that this summer to date

I also agree with Rodney that the S play needs to step up, with McCourty taking another step and some one stepping in beside him. 

I do like Siligia and Smith for depth on the DL, and think BUchanon can make a mark this season. But I will wait until the season starts before I start with the top 5 defense talk

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

noone is saying that they are a top 5 defense, we are just being optimistic and hoping that the defense will continue to improve in key areas.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

noone is saying that they are a top 5 defense, we are just being optimistic and hoping that the defense will continue to improve in key areas.

[/QUOTE]

Wozzy has stated top 3

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Wozzy has stated top 3

[/QUOTE]

As Truth mentioned above, I believe so much depends on the Pats' pass rush. Can they get consistent pressure even when they play the better teams? No matter how good the pass defense could be this season, if pro QBS have all day to throw they'll find someone open.

If the Pats can push the pocket and rattle / sack opposing passers, we'll see the 3rd down defense improve plus get our fair share of turnovers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Sure he does...it's hiding in his beard right near that last slice of pizza from lunch

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Wozzy has stated top 3

[/QUOTE]

Not in this thread. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As Truth mentioned above, I believe so much depends on the Pats' pass rush. Can they get consistent pressure even when they play the better teams? No matter how good the pass defense could be this season, if pro QBS have all day to throw they'll find someone open.

If the Pats can push the pocket and rattle / sack opposing passers, we'll see the 3rd down defense improve plus get our fair share of turnovers.

[/QUOTE]

I would agree.  It sure would help the secondary if they could get a formidable pass rush going.