Matt Roth getting interest from other teams.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Matt Roth getting interest from other teams.....

Jason La Canfora 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Re: Matt Roth getting interest from other teams.....

and now brock is gone. i'll be really disappointed if we dont get this guy in here! i like ellis but i dont think he has much left in the tank. maybe as a part timer only. but it is frustrating to keep losing out on players since we have plenty of cap space available. maybe BB is waiting for teams that are over the cap to start cutting players. that will happen tomorrow if i'm not mistaken.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac24. Show mac24's posts

You have to think at this point if the Patriots wanted him he'd be on the field for them by now. Maybe he's asking more then they're willing to spend? Who knows?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

or his agent is trying to drive his price up with the pats by claiming other teams have interest in his guy. somehow i doubt that tactic will work! i would imagine they are giving these guys low-ball offers and so far nobody is biting. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Roth getting interest from other teams.....:
    You have to think at this point if the Patriots wanted him he'd be on the field for them by now. Maybe he's asking more then they're willing to spend? Who knows?
    Posted by mac24

You have to wonder how that workout went and what Parcells told Belichick about him. For a team desperate for outside help and a lack of players to choose from, I'm beginning to wonder if there's more to this guy than we know of. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Roth getting interest from other teams..... : You have to wonder how that workout went and what Parcells told Belichick about him. For a team desperate for outside help and a lack of players to choose from, I'm beginning to wonder if there's more to this guy than we know of. 
    Posted by mthurl

You are oribabky right on this one. However what is confusing me is this.  The defence has needed, and still needs some heko,  He has brought in several free agents ( yes I know about "Big Al").  None of them signed.  The last draft, didn't address the problem either.

Ywa yes, BB is considered omnioetent by many here.   But   I've said it befor, Brady has maybe 3 to 5 years to go.   The defense has been our achilles hill to our early exists in the playoffs.  Once Brady retiress, major rebuilding process.  Offense all set.  Let's finish  the job on defense, and sign the remaind 2  free agent players we need

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Roth getting interest from other teams..... : You are oribabky right on this one. However what is confusing me is this.  The defence has needed, and still needs some heko,  He has brought in several free agents ( yes I know about "Big Al").  None of them signed.  The last draft, didn't address the problem either. Ywa yes, BB is considered omnioetent by many here.   But   I've said it befor, Brady has maybe 3 to 5 years to go.   The defense has been our achilles hill to our early exists in the playoffs.  Once Brady retiress, major rebuilding process.  Offense all set.  Let's finish  the job on defense, and sign the remaind 2  free agent players we need
    Posted by Hoier

Ummmm.. is this english?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

he probably just doesn't want to deal with training camp... so he's "shopping around"

because he played in Mangini's 3-4 in Cleveland and Parcells' defense in Miami, I could see him picking up the defense here quickly

I think signing Solder was much more important in terms of needing the entire training camp

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I guess I'm not 100% convinced that Matt Roth is any better--or offers more upside potential--than Ninkovich.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

BB is very fickle when it comes to his OLB's. To the point of fan and I'm sure owner frustration. He's passed up numerous very productive OLB's in the draft and FA simply because they didn't fit his overly critical mold. But, you can't argue with the record of the Pats since he took over. The only issue is that the OLB core has fallen apart since those great vets of the past have gone the way side. Now, maybe those throw away OLB's he has collected recently and built up from essentially ground zero will form into a productive unit and he'll prove to be the genius that can grow any player he wants but it's gotten to the point where unless he can grab a player that has raw talent and is willing to completely re-learn the position to fill BB's image, then BB won't even give them a second look. I don't like to criticize BB esp when it comes to the D but the OLB position is the one position which I think he hurts himself and is to stubborn to give up that perfect image in his head of what a OLB should be. If Roth doesn't fit the Pats then i have faith in BB that Roth just didn't fit but if Roth signs for relatively low cost on another team and the OLB core can't get any pressure again this year then I think it might be fair to criticize BB's image of an OLB

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

I guess I'm not 100% convinced that Matt Roth is any better--or offers more upside potential--than Ninkovich.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I am with you, I don't understand why this guy is getting talked up by Pats fans so much.  I don't think he's got all that much to offer over what we have.  I would rather to continue to develop young talent.  The way we have gotten production out of some of the lower round/undrafted guys.  I think it gives a very underdog attitude to the D which I like.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Roth getting interest from other teams..... : I am with you, I don't understand why this guy is getting talked up by Pats fans so much.  I don't think he's got all that much to offer over what we have.  I would rather to continue to develop young talent.  The way we have gotten production out of some of the lower round/undrafted guys.  I think it gives a very underdog attitude to the D which I like.
    Posted by mikec645

I think it's just fan frustration with the lack of impact-making OLBs since the Vrabel, McGinnist days. Everyone's hoping for a saviour and Matt Roth just happens to be the flavour of the month.  The real issue, though, has been lack of pass rush.  Our current crop of OLBs has been reasonable against the run and in pass coverage.  What we don't get from guys like Ninkovich is a scary-good pass rush. But I'm not sure Roth gives us that either. His primary strengths are against the run, and while he has some sacks, I don't think he's a great pass rusher. 

My guess is BB is planning to get more of the pass rush from the interior of the line.  That's why bringing in Haynesworth makes sense.  In the past (i.e., the Vrabel years), the OLBs were the primary source of pressure.  I think BB is looking at other options now.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a fifth DB used as an edge pass rusher more often.  BB experimented with that a bit last year when he put Arrington in a three point stance on the line.  With two big guys in the middle, both of whom will attract double teams on many plays, the edge rushers aren't going to see as many blockers.  This will open-up easier opportunities for all the LBs, the other DLs, and possibly for DBs to get to the passer.  I think BB is trying to present the offenses around the league with a problem:

Do I try to block Wilfork and Haynesworth with two or three O linemen and risk one of those two (or an MLB behind them) blasting through the center of the line and collapsing the pocket or do I double team both of them and end up with a shortage of blockers to stop guys like Pryor, Moore, Cunningham, Nink, Arrington, Chung, etc. from coming at the QB from the edge?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Its not necessarily his ability that sets him apart from Ninkovich and others, but its the depth issue that needs to be addressed. he's 6'4" 270 so he obviously fits the H/W profile for a BB OLB and he has experience playing with BB proteges (Ferentz, Mangini, Saban etc). I'd rather have 3 solid OLB's than 2 and he can be had for a reasonable price. Go get him...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Have you read that Eric Moore is having a great camp so far? Maybe BB thinks he already has a guy or two that is on par with Roth....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I can remember a couple of years ago all the posts about bringing in Buress from the Raiders.  One player does not make a team but one player can break a team.  In Bill I trust.  I am sure he knows what he has in camp and what he needs to win.  A lot of moving parts this year and not much time to put it all together.  I am not worried about the defense.  It will be better than last year for two reasons.  The young players have a year in the system and the addition of injured players to the mix.  The OL is my concern.  No backup center.  A rookie backup with no experience at left tackle.  Limited backup at the other positions.  If something happens here, we could see Brady on his backside a lot.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Eric Moore is an interesting prospect for this year. I see him as the only player on this roster that can be compared to Roth, since we are talking about Roth. Both have the size/strength to line up at 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. i can't make the same claim for Nink, or any other players we currently have less Cunningham of course...that can line up in both spots.

We don't have much to go on for Moore...although when given teh chance last year, he did very well...4 games, 14 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles...that's good production. Question is, who would you rather have...Moore or Roth? Does Moore provide as good or better an optino than Roth since we would probably use them in similar ways....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'm concerned with our 3-4 personnel..both at DE and OLB. Perhaps you are right in that Moore is a better comparison to Brock. Roth has more experience than Moore for sure, and I think Roth has more versatility. If he is the perfect fit, what's taking so long?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac24. Show mac24's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Roth getting interest from other teams..... : You have to wonder how that workout went and what Parcells told Belichick about him. For a team desperate for outside help and a lack of players to choose from, I'm beginning to wonder if there's more to this guy than we know of. 
    Posted by mthurl

That's a great point. You are absolutely right. I guess only time will tell on this one. You'd have to think if the Pats want him though, they'd like to get him into camp ASAP.

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts