matt roth wants to play for a winner!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

matt roth wants to play for a winner!

we need another vet OLB and Roth has the size BB loves! and we wouldn't have to give up any picks to get him.  He also played under crennel, mangini, etc.  who use our same defensive system.

At 6-4 and 275 pounds, Matt Roth seems an ideal fit for the Browns at defensive end in their new 4-3 defense. He played the position at Iowa before converting to linebacker.

Mean and nasty on the field and stout against the run, Roth could hold down the left end position while rookie Jabaal Sheard is broken in as a pass rusher at the less-demanding right end spot.

But Roth, who is an unrestricted free agent no matter the outcome of the NFL labor dispute, sounds as if he is resigned to leaving. He prefers to stay in a 3-4 defensive system, has been looking forward to gaining some financial security through free agency and wants to play for a winning team.

"Right now I kind of like the 3-4 [defensive system]," Roth said in a phone interview, his first since the Browns' season ended and the coaching staff was overhauled. "I feel the Browns are on the right track. But going into my seventh season, I want to play for a winner. I do feel the Browns are right there. They've done a good job. I'm not sure what's going to happen."

Roth was one of the best player pickups in the two seasons of coach Eric Mangini. He was awarded to the Browns on Nov. 25, 2009 after Bill Parcells, then the Miami Dolphins VP of personnel, put Roth on waivers. The Dolphins questioned Roth's slowness in returning from two groin surgeries.

In 22 games with the Browns -- all of them as a starter at left outside linebacker in their 3-4 alignment -- Roth had 7.5 sacks and 114 tackles. He never missed a game.

Roth said he loved playing for defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who was not kept by the new Pat Shurmur regime.

"I challenge you to [find] one player who wouldn't run through a wall for him," Roth said. "I love playing that style. I know [new coordinator] Dick Jauron's a good coach, but I don't want to have to deal with no nonsense. Just want to come in and play, do my job and have fun. That's a big factor in wherever I go."

He wouldn't rule out following Ryan to Dallas, where Ryan now heads up the Cowboys' defense. All NFL business is frozen until the labor dispute is resolved.

In this conversation, Roth made a few references to not wanting to deal with "no nonsense." He wouldn't elaborate but he obviously wasn't happy with the situation in Miami. And considering Mangini looked up to Parcells as a mentor, it was assumed that Roth was not enamored playing for Mangini.

Not true, he said.

"I think Mangini was a great coach," he said. "I don't think anyone ever quit in either of those years. We beat up on some pretty damn good teams. We didn't have an easy schedule."

The Browns went 4-2 after acquiring Roth in 2009. He said Mangini deserved to come back after winning the last four games even though it was obvious that he and President Mike Holmgren were opposites.

Roth had an interesting take on the demise of the 2010 season, when the Browns lost six of their last eight games to finish with a second consecutive 5-11 record.

"The wide receivers were young," he said. "If we could have added a veteran to that mix and [gotten] those wide receivers going, I think we could have won at least eight games, easily.

"Those kids, I think, are going to be good down the road. Receiver's not an easy position to come and play right away, like running back or defensive line. I think they're talented. If they get a couple guys in to teach them the ropes . . .

"The offensive line is great. The running backs are great. I thought Colt [McCoy] stepped in and did a great job. We did well on defense last year. I think we were so close. That's a tough division."

One thing that left an indelible mark on Roth is the passion of the Browns' fans.

"I loved playing for Cleveland," he said. "The people were absolutely fantastic. I wish we could've had more wins because I've never seen anything like that -- 30 degrees below zero, four wins and they're still packing the stadium. I am going to miss the people and those fans."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/06/browns_linebacker_matt_roth_ta.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: matt roth wants to play for a winner!

"I loved playing for Cleveland," he said. "The people were absolutely fantastic. I wish we could've had more wins because I've never seen anything like that -- 30 degrees below zero, four wins and they're still packing the stadium. I am going to miss the people and those fans."

This makes it sound like he is definitely gone from Cleveland.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

As a guy who knows how to play the 3-4 he seems to be a good fit from that standpoint.  I don't know that much about his value on the open market, he seems to be a solid is unspectacular vet whose skillset seems to fit 1st and 2nd downs moreso than 3rd down.  If he's true to his word about wanting to play for a winner then there are only so many teams where he fits if he wants to stay in a 3-4.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think he is one of those underperforming players whom BB can turn into a star. he has the size/speed that BB loves and could be a great addition.  He seems to be one of the underhyped free agents this offseason.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

he is getting better as a passrusher, plus being on the brown's defense has got to cut into one's production.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Funny, he had 22 sacks as a sophomore and junior at Iowa, and many TFLs.  I don't think that part of his game has translated in the pros, or maybe his responsibilities are much different.  I don't know what kind of scheme Iowa ran, but apparently the Dolphins and Browns haven't used him as a pass rusher much, or he just isn't an NFL-calibre puss rusher.  Can't say I know a lot about Roth, but his resume is not too bad. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think he could make some good contributions and wouldn't come at a steep price. He isn't going to be a dominant pass rusher but he is worth bringing in to see what he can do in the system!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMex2. Show RonMex2's posts

I like Roth...if the lockout ever ends he's a good looking prospect for the pats

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

If we can add roth and maybe manny lawson our OLB spot would be set with the rotation of lawson/roth/nink/cunningham/TBC and with warren's/moore/brace/stroud/deadrick at DE our D would really be able to generate some pressure especially with the addition of bodden/dowling to our DB's.

Sections
Shortcuts