Matt Slater/Julian Edleman - Leadership?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Matt Slater/Julian Edleman - Leadership?

Are these guys fighting for the same spot? I would say no. Slater at this point in his career doesnt even run routes with the WR's in practice. Im not sure what his role is outside of special teams. Atleast I know Eds can play in the offense a bit and play some punt returner. My question is can either of these guys provide mentorship to the young guys? I mean we all like how the rooks have looked so far, but they are gonna have growing pains. Who do they turn to? Does this mean we have to keep a Jenkins due to his veteran leadership or is he just in camp for that reason UNTIL he is released. I know its not that urgent, but I would like atleast one Vet WR on the team. Amendola is a veteran but hasnt been around that much. I see guys like Shawn Jefferson coaching in Detroit. Where are our mentors for the WR position. Dont we atleast need to hire an ex player as an asst. coach to help with the nuances of the position, tricks of the trade? I mean I would feel better about the rooks if they had that.

I feel they can help in regards to learning the system, but can they help them be better players?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Matt Slater/Julian Edleman - Leadership?

From what I understand Slater is the heart and soul of the coverage teams and a great leader.  He's one of the best kick/punt coverage guys in the league too, so I think he continues to play a big role, as leader, mentor, and talented player on STs. Edelman's role on STs is completely different and he's got a bigger potential role on offense so I don't see the two as direct competitors--though roster slots are limited, so everyone is really in competition with everyone else in some sense.

I'm not sure a mentor for the WRs is that important.  Brady can do that, I think. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Edelman will go before Slater.  Slater is a roster lock imo.  He might be a ST guy, but he is one of the best in the league at what he does.  He is a team captain and he has a bigger contract.  The end.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Agree, I think Edelman is more vulnerable than Slater, but BB has surprised me before.  Edelman's punt return skills though are good and he probably makes the roster for that as well as for being a back-up to Amendola.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

From what I understand Slater is the heart and soul of the coverage teams and a great leader.  He's one of the best kick/punt coverage guys in the league too, so I think he continues to play a big role, as leader, mentor, and talented player on STs. Edelman's role on STs is completely different and he's got a bigger potential role on offense so I don't see him as direct competitors--though roster slots are limited, so everyone is really in competition with everyone else in some sense.

I'm not sure a mentor for the WRs is that important.  Brady can do that, I think. 

I dont know if I agree. Everytime they ask Brady about those things,. he sais his job is to play Qb and thats hard enough as it is. Brady is a Qb also, not a WR. I am thinking that although some fans dont see it as that important. I am willing to bet BB brings in a troy Brown to speak with them before and during the season if need be. Just too much riding on this season IMO to have a setback due to inexperience. Brady can tell them where he wants them to be, but he cant teach them how to play the position. I wouldnt say it was important any other year but with 3 Rookie WR counted on to contribute and another rookie TE that may play early, it cant hurt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

You bring up a good point regarding having a former wideout mentoring these guys. I think they are just expecting Brady to do it - have him tell them how the routes are to be run, etc - but it makes some sense to have guy who actually has done it before help out. I mean Amendola is no rookie, but he's still young and trying to learn his place in this offense as it is (he's got a lot on his plate). Jenkins will be gone and Edelman isn't exactly an experienced wide receiver.

I'll tell you I did notice a difference in polish between the rookies and Edelman, Jenkins and Amendola running routes and doing drills. They just looked more smooth, now the rookies looked like they had more size, speed and ability, but there is something to be said for experience.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

You bring up a good point regarding having a former wideout mentoring these guys. I think they are just expecting Brady to do it - have him tell them how the routes are to be run, etc - but it makes some sense to have guy who actually has done it before help out. I mean Amendola is no rookie, but he's still young and trying to learn his place in this offense as it is (he's got a lot on his plate). Jenkins will be gone and Edelman isn't exactly an experienced wide receiver.

I'll tell you I did notice a difference in polish between the rookies and Edelman, Jenkins and Amendola running routes and doing drills. They just looked more smooth, now the rookies looked like they had more size, speed and ability, but there is something to be said for experience.

I remember the year Ty Law went down and he was zapping aroung in the lil wheelchair cart having fun during SB week. I recall him being on the sidelines and helping out Troy Brown in between series who had been thrown into the mix. Now obviously that was an extreme case and Troy had never played defense but the little points and techniques that Ty gave him were invaluble. He would tell him, Troy u gotta grab him high up here near the shoulder pads when you jam him. Little nuances with his footwork. I dont think Brady has time to do that on the field when he is going over his printouts from the previous series. These young guys DO have talent, but they need to learn the tricks of the trade or else the more savvy CBs will get the better of them and they will be flagged for offensive P.I. and things like that. Why not cover all bases and bring in a guy to help with coaching?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Edelman is going anywhere. Right now Slater is one dimesional - ST's. Edelman does offense, ST's and can be called upon to play defense too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Slater is one of the best in the game at STs and proves it every year when they make him a captain so I don't see him going anywhere. Now, Edelman can't survive on his STs alone but luckly he is also a useful slot backup guy and can play D in a pinch so to me unless someone comes in and blows away BB as a backup WR who also plays STs I can't see Edelman getting cut. Really when I look at it is Jenkins, Aikens, Sims, or Harrison that person? I just don't see them providing any more at WR than Edelman and provide even less at STs

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

An interesting thread and I certainly think rookie receivers benefit from someone teaching them the ropes thinking of Randy Moss and Chris Carter in MN for example. Agree that Amendola is fairly experienced, but more so as a slot kind of guy as is Edelman - wouldn't hurt to have someone in the building helping from a players perspective.

As for Slater and his 'lock' - at some point (and I doubt it is this year) the numbers come up on the wrong side for a guy that really has ZERO value outside of special teams ace. We have Edelman, Washington, Cole, Bolden who are both special teams core guys and have real back-up value on offense or defense. The departed White was also used as an emergency LB while his real value was ST. I do think there will come a day when the Pats need the roster spot to protect someone or because they have injuries to key players that they don't want to lose for the whole year.

This year may be interesting in that regard - Gronk injured, so they probably want four TEs on the 53 plus Gronk, they have 5 backs that all bring something and can't be stashed - that is 10 players at two positions that usually only take 8 spots on a 53 man roster - if they keep all 10, that puts real pressure on every other position group - finding 2 roster spots to cut. And as good as Slater is, it might be hard to justify keeping him versus ... Bolden, Sudfeld, Fells, Hooman, etc. AND vs. last year there is a possibility they keep 3 QBs (hope not, but ...) which just ads to the roster pressure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I remember the year Ty Law went down and he was zapping aroung in the lil wheelchair cart having fun during SB week. I recall him being on the sidelines and helping out Troy Brown in between series who had been thrown into the mix. Now obviously that was an extreme case and Troy had never played defense but the little points and techniques that Ty gave him were invaluble. He would tell him, Troy u gotta grab him high up here near the shoulder pads when you jam him. Little nuances with his footwork. I dont think Brady has time to do that on the field when he is going over his printouts from the previous series. These young guys DO have talent, but they need to learn the tricks of the trade or else the more savvy CBs will get the better of them and they will be flagged for offensive P.I. and things like that. Why not cover all bases and bring in a guy to help with coaching?

Dude, your troll work is annoying this week. Edelman has been working very closely, as reported, in particular with Josh Boyce, likely because he will be used in the slot and at the X, JUST LIKE EDELMAN.  Maybe if you did homework once in a while, you'd know this. Amendola is 27 or 28 years old. He's a veteran, too.  Just forget it.  These guys know the system and are mentors, just fine.

Yes, this is a young team that needs leaders and Edelman is a leader. Period. Get over it.  The only complaint any Pats fan should have with him is his health issues.  Other than that, acting like this guy does not give 125% in any capacity is a JOKE.

Slater, has been here since 2008 and is a valued STs player, who is likely also a lock. 

You and your troll bretheren looking for super duper All Stars at every roster spot is becoming VERY annoying.

Wake me when you criticize Brady's GOD AWFUL AFC Title games recently or poor or mediocre postseasons. When you do that, then maybe a thread like this might have more credence.

Until then, it comes off trollish in nature.  It's like you're scouring the roster to find ways to complain, which is what our Pats trolls do here.  Some of us find it VERY annoying because it's the work of a troll.

The immaturity that goes along with your thinking is also very obvious.

Trollwork?? What is that? Im sure you would know being the biggest troll here. We all had a nice day conversing with you not around. It really made me realize how much of a poisonous troll you really are. You show up here and immediately start your trollling on MY thread in which NOBODY else seemed to think it was trolling. You really need to get a life you freeking nutjob! Good job youve done in the past year. You have succeeding in p*ssing off every  last one of your supporters and are OFFICIALLY the laughing stock of this board, so I will take any comments from YOU with a grain of salt. Now go ahead and attack my character cuz you are done here. Go throw back some anheiser busch while watching your kid sister, you basement dwelling Dweeb!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would not be opposed to seeing some one like Troy Brown in an assnt coaching position for the WR's...it sounds like a good idea, he is someone that BB likes and trusts, and surely knows the system. He was on the field (as was K Faulk) during OTA's and looked like he was really enjoying himself helping the players out...

I dont see a single negative about it...good idea. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I think very many underestimate Edelman. He is a FOOTBALL PLAYER. He is willing to do anything the coaches ask him and do it full speed, 100%. He was the best tackler on D when he was out there in spite of being a QB in college.

The only knock against him are injuries. That is critical. But he is a very good and versitile football player and athelete.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Slater's value, and it is relatively high IMO, is indeed on STs.  And I agree that he is one of the best in the game in that regard.  BB values STs - big time.  And, that, in my judgement, will keep him on the roster.

Edeleman, on the other hand, is an interesting question.  No question the guy has talent but unfortunately has a history of injuries.  Where he fits in the offensive makeover I guess will depend on how many wideouts BB decides to keep. 

I, too, think Edelman would be cut before Slater.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I think very many underestimate Edelman. He is a FOOTBALL PLAYER. He is willing to do anything the coaches ask him and do it full speed, 100%. He was the best tackler on D when he was out there in spite of being a QB in college.

The only knock against him are injuries. That is critical. But he is a very good and versitile football player and athelete.

I dont get your comment. Did you just read the title like Rusty did and not the content?  I never questioned Edlemans ability. I just asked if He or Slater can provide leadership and I dont see Eds leading any one when he doenst even know if his spot is secure on the team. Other than that, I like Eds, WHEN he is on the field.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Slater's value, and it is relatively high IMO, is indeed on STs.  And I agree that he is one of the best in the game in that regard.  BB values STs - big time.  And, that, in my judgement, will keep him on the roster.

Edeleman, on the other hand, is an interesting question.  No question the guy has talent but unfortunately has a history of injuries.  Where he fits in the offensive makeover I guess will depend on how many wideouts BB decides to keep. 

I, too, think Edelman would be cut before Slater.

I know it's only speculation until camp is over but i believe both of these guys will be on the 53 man roster. If edelman stays healthy he will make some significant contributions throughout the year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Clapton is one of the greatest guitarists ever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Slater is a fine player, but he's a one-trick pony. He brings nothing outside of STs.

Is the difference between his special team's contributions and those of a replacement who can actually contribute at another position (say Aiken or another WR) that great to justify letting go of that replacement? 

I really don't put much stock in the leadership/mentorship stuff. But fine, factor that in too if you want. Either way, the answer for me is no.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Slater is a fine player, but he's a one-trick pony. He brings nothing outside of STs.

Is the difference between his special team's contributions and those of a replacement who can actually contribute at another position (say Aiken or another WR) that great to justify letting go of that replacement? 

I really don't put much stock in the leadership/mentorship stuff. But fine, factor that in too if you want. Either way, the answer for me is no.

Yea If I was a rookie I wouldnt be hitching my wagon to a guy with like 8 career catches in 5 years. He wont have that problem....lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

You see a Player going 900 mph on every play, thats a leader. Doesn't have to scream, to get his point across.

Edleman is one CRAZY Dude! I'd go to battle with him anytime.

That Ravens game a few years ago, ONLY Player to show up that day.

Every year with 53 man Roster, you better be versatile.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Muz, I think I saw what you were referring to last game. I thought you were talking about the Aiken from Buffalo who played here 2 years ago. This kamar Aiken kid does have potential as a WR and has much more upside obviously than Slater who isnt asked to play WR at all. I have noticed him 2 weeks now, more so last game running down and making tackles and havent noticed Slater this summer(not sure if he has played) so Im gonna go ahead and make the bold prediction of K.Aiken taking M.Slaters job....Next Year!  He is a better candidate to make the team, but because Slater is the leader of that unit, he may make it over Kamar who may still be p/s eligible. So either Aiken gets put on p/s or he takes Slaters spot this year. He has shown up on s/t and provides a warm body that can actually play the WR spot. Havent been impressed with Leon but considering he still has speed one has to wonder if our blocking just S*cks and we have been giving up more yeards.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Brady's a one trick pony too.  He brings nothing outside of QB.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I hear Eric Clapton prefers the shotgun . . .  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Slater is the teams Larry Izzo . . . a career out of being the leagues top ST player, especially as the gunner on coverage.  Slater still can play WR and safety if they had to use him there . . . heck he played half of the pro bowl game as a wide receiver last year . . . it is just that the Pats have more talent at those postitions than he would present so why use him when you have others?  Edelman is on this team, he is the backup slot receiver, he can play HB or defensive back, he can return punts and at least in practice he can be the other teams QB . . . Tebow goes before either of these two!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

Slater is the teams Larry Izzo . . . a career out of being the leagues top ST player, especially as the gunner on coverage.  Slater still can play WR and safety if they had to use him there . . . heck he played half of the pro bowl game as a wide receiver last year . . . it is just that the Pats have more talent at those postitions than he would present so why use him when you have others?  Edelman is on this team, he is the backup slot receiver, he can play HB or defensive back, he can return punts and at least in practice he can be the other teams QB . . . Tebow goes before either of these two!

I hope so! Tebow offers nothing IMO. Just an average football player as a TE/FB and is horrible as a backup QB. I watched Pat Hill in Washington last night who was out of football a couple years, can run the option, is faster, also has a year experience but can actually play QB and throws the ball much better. Why not pick him up instead of tebow? Time is running out and they need to scrap that gimmick. If they just plan on carrying 2, than fine, let Malllet play the whole 2nd half then. I dont get it. Its a waste having him out there and the WR's dont get to work on anything cuz they aint never gonna get any balls thrown near them. Its just a dumb situation all around which I dont get. BB irks me sometimes with this BS... Tell Joshy, ok I looked at him, he S*cks, time to move on.

Sections
Shortcuts