Matt Stafford vs. Matt Sanchez - Who Has The Better Chance For A Great Career.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Matt Stafford vs. Matt Sanchez - Who Has The Better Chance For A Great Career.

Both are about equal talent

1.  Calvin Johnson - He is young and if he doesn't get hurt, looks like a future Hall Of Famer.  He'll make Stafford look good a lot times over the next few years. 

2.  Expectations - If Stafford starts and wins one game this season, he's a success.  No one expects the Lions to make the playoffs or even win more than 6 games.  Sanchez has a playoff caliber team that wants to win now.  Anything less than 9 wins and a wildcard birth will be considered a failure.    

3.  Teams Future - Like it or not the Lions actually have a better long term outlook in my opinion.  The Lions have traded players away clearing up cap space and it is quite possible by next season they can build a solid offensive line around Stafford via Free Agency and the draft.    The Jets on the other hand have a lot of high priced players Kris Jenkins, Bart Scott, Vernon Gholston, their entire offensive line.   Their window is closing soon they probably have a 2 year window to win a championship, otherwise they are going to have to gut some of that roster for salary cap reasons. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Matt Stafford vs. Matt Sanchez - Who Has The Better Chance For A Great Career.

Neither one of these teams is going anywhere anytime soon, but you have to ask yourself which offers a more promising career -- a team that thinks it can win now without a proven quarterback or a team that has been rebuilding for 50 years? Sanchez is less at risk because, if Green New Jersey is smart (not a given) it will not ask him to do too much. The hope seems to be that the defense will keep that team in games and Sanchez can pretend to be Joe Flacco (who showed what he's all about in the conference championship). But as we speak the Jests have question marks all over the offense. I assume T. Jones will be in camp once the Jests bend over for him a little bit, but assuming he can throw, who is Sanchez going to throw the ball to?

As for the Lions, well .  .  . I would like to say that Detroit is headed in the right direction. I would also like to say that I have supreme confidence in Barrack Obama and that he economy is well on its way to recovery. But none of those things are true. Stafford may or may not be a serviceable NFL quarterback someday -- I expect he will -- but the Lions are one of those teams that just never seems to get better no matter what they do. I suppose the hope in Detroit is that the new administration will have a clearer direction than previous brain trusts and will be able to stick to a plan. Well, I just watched them draft the best of a bad lot of quarterbacks and hand him a ridiculous amount of money after underperforming for three years at Georgia -- never mind building a team from the inside out, as almost anyone with even a hint of football knowledge knows is a safer bet. So the Lions are going to continue to be the Lions even though I suspect Stafford to be a better quarterback than Sanchez.

I suppose this post would have been a lot shorter if I just said neither of these guys will ever do anything of significance in the NFL and left it at that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: Matt Stafford vs. Matt Sanchez - Who Has The Better Chance For A Great Career.

The Lions' offense was actually close to being mediocre last season, while its defense was atrocious.

The defense will be awful again next year, and the team will probably continue spending high picks on OL or weapons for their newly minted golden boy.

With all the QBs coming out next year, and considering how Detroit is at least 2 years from being even mediocre, they really should have spent the first pick on  defense or one of the top OTs, who command much less money than Stafford was given.

Stafford to Johnson will be fun to watch though, and Stafford should be throwing bombs a lot, given that the Lions will be playing from behind for at least 3 quarters a game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't think I would have spent a top ten pick on either one.I think that Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford will be better than either of these 2 guys.I also think with the new emphasis on being more of a pocket passer that Tim Tebow will be a better pro than Stafford and maybe even Sanchez.Sanchez will do allright in NY because they are going to try and win with defense and a sound running game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Matt is far better then Matt.  He will someday soon lead his team to the playoff's.  You can bet on it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Neither, they both end up as NFL busts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Neither, they both end up as NFL busts.
    Posted by Grogan77

yeah and Stafford's gonna make more money than Brady next season too, how about them apples?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I have to think Sanchez has the best chance based on the front office. Detroit cannot play Stafford out of the gate unless they want him to get sacked 3 times a drive.

Granted, Stafford has the best single weapon in Calvin Johnson, but Sanchez has a better line, has a reliable running game, and has a couple of nice receiving options. As long as they keep the playbook simple the Jets and Sanchez could thrive SOON.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Both are about equal talent 1.  Calvin Johnson - He is young and if he doesn't get hurt, looks like a future Hall Of Famer.  He'll make Stafford look good a lot times over the next few years.  2.  Expectations - If Stafford starts and wins one game this season, he's a success.  No one expects the Lions to make the playoffs or even win more than 6 games.  Sanchez has a playoff caliber team that wants to win now.  Anything less than 9 wins and a wildcard birth will be considered a failure.     3.  Teams Future - Like it or not the Lions actually have a better long term outlook in my opinion.  The Lions have traded players away clearing up cap space and it is quite possible by next season they can build a solid offensive line around Stafford via Free Agency and the draft.    The Jets on the other hand have a lot of high priced players Kris Jenkins, Bart Scott, Vernon Gholston, their entire offensive line.   Their window is closing soon they probably have a 2 year window to win a championship, otherwise they are going to have to gut some of that roster for salary cap reasons. 
    Posted by DuncanOrange

Who's Matt Sanchez?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Sanchez will have the better career by far. The Lions are a blackhole for talent. Calvin Johnson will want out in a year or so when he realizes he will never win in Detroit. Staffard will never live up to his #1 overall selection because he is on a bad team. maybe Im wrong but thats how i see it going down. And Sanchez is in a much better situation. He will have a good running game, a good Oline, and a good defense to lean on and with ina few years he will be a good NFL QB. neither one of these guys will win a title or be a hall of fame player but Sanchez will hav ethe better career.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Sanchez will have to prove it right away. He's the likely starter for the Jets this season, sink or swim. That just seems like a great way of ruining a player's career.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Peyton Manning said he would have never been as good in year two if he didnt start in year 1 and he went on to have a pretty good career. If Sanchez is the starter on day one it will help him in the long run. He is going to be a good NFL QB.

Sections
Shortcuts