Matthew Mulligan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLB50. Show BILLB50's posts

Matthew Mulligan

Look for Pats to pound the ball down the Bills throat,good blocking TE .

Good p/u

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Matthew Mulligan

UMaine!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I read a few articles that really hyped up this guy's blocking ability. If he is as good as advertised, this could e really interesting to see how well they can pound the rock the first couple of weeks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

UMaine!

What's your connection? I went there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The guy looks really well traveled.  Odds are 80% that he's gone in a week and 20% that he sticks.  Do both of his arms still work or is he washed up?  He flunked out of the Packers training camp because an arm injury slowed him down, but arms tend to heal.  At least he's a blocking tight end, and BB likes tight ends that can block.  That's why he's worth a tryout.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

--  I can't delete duplicates. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Interesting story having never playing organized football, a lot of good tightends come from basketball.  The kid is massive, similar to Huey in build, but heavier.  We're taking a look at every free agent possible right now leading into the first game, it would be nice having more hometown talent onboard, but he has to make the team first.  I'd tell you my assesment but there are no measuarables on him anywhere online in a cursory search?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I have a hunch that if Fells is still available after the Buffalo game, there's a good chance they bring him back.  At that point his salary (whatever it ends up being) will no longer be guaranteed for the year. Any four-year vet who is on the roster for the opening game has his annual salary guaranteed if he's cut after that game.  Fells was pretty expensive and I think he may have been cut because the Pats weren't sure they wanted to make that kind of commitment to him.  Deon Branch got the same treatment last year . . . 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

i know bill wanted a MULLIGAN on some of his picks but this is ridiculous!

COMMY COMMY COMMY COMMY CONTRARIAN, HE COMES AND GOES, HE COMES AND GOES... @commyContrarian on Twitter!

figures a Foxtrot Alpha Golf like you would like Boy George

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm thinking that we're talking rent-a-player here.  Probably won't be around all that long.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a hunch that if Fells is still available after the Buffalo game, there's a good chance they bring him back.  At that point his salary (whatever it ends up being) will no longer be guaranteed for the year. Any four-year vet who is on the roster for the opening game has his annual salary guaranteed if he's cut after that game.  Fells was pretty expensive and I think he may have been cut because the Pats weren't sure they wanted to make that kind of commitment to him.  Deon Branch got the same treatment last year . .

Prolate

Thanks for the explanation. (short term financial decision with no commttment) I did not get why they cut Fells and Ballard and picked this guy up. I did not make sense because Fells/Ballard know our system and I didn't see what was to be gained from Mulligan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

[QUOTE]

Prolate

Thanks for the explanation. (short term financial decision with no commttment) I did not get why they cut Fells and Ballard and picked this guy up. I did not make sense because Fells/Ballard know our system and I didn't see what was to be gained from Mulligan.

Fells was not only expensive but unecessary, with Sudfeld's emergence the only person who really needed to be replaced was that big blocking tightend, even he can be replaced by a younger guy and they lop off two expensive salaries and replace it with two cheaper ones, not unlike the punter change.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to NYC's comment:

Prolate

Fells was not only expensive but unecessary, with Sudfeld's emergence the only person who really needed to be replaced was that big blocking tightend, even he can be replaced by a younger guy and they lop off two expensive salaries and replace it with two cheaper ones, not unlike the punter change.

I think you're right wozzy, but with all the money it appears they are saving shouldn't we expect a more expensive talent to come walking through the door?  I really have no idea how the cap numbers add up but it seems like a constant downward pressure on the salaries and age of players.

Couldn't get away with that in the real world...lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

I think you're right wozzy, but with all the money it appears they are saving shouldn't we expect a more expensive talent to come walking through the door?  I really have no idea how the cap numbers add up but it seems like a constant downward pressure on the salaries and age of players.

Spend less, be more successful, that is the perfect business model for just about everybody.

And we also have a bunch of contracts coming up, why not extend some players now?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX7d1jNrI30&feature=youtu.be

esp at 1.34, this is y bb wants his mulligan! this was his pro day!

Great hip hop song, the bench was nice, he's obviously strong with very little body fat, I'd like to see his measurables though?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I not saying it cant happen but are they really gonna ask this guy to play week 1 after coming in cold like this or is this just the beginning of adding to their emergency list for TEs later in the year? I mean he could stick, I just dont expect to see him much vs the bills as someone pointed out as his signing is indication of us running more vs bills. I dont see that, but they could want to look at him. Last couple weeks BB been looking at guys for a day and them cutting them. I would like him to bring in some safety help tho and maybe a veteran CB, but thats wishful thinking at this point.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Spend less, be more successful, that is the perfect business model for just about everybody.

And we also have a bunch of contracts coming up, why not extend some players now?

When spending less doesn't lead to being more successful, at which point do you change?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I not saying it cant happen but are they really gonna ask this guy to play week 1 after coming in cold like this or is this just the beginning of adding to their emergency list for TEs later in the year?

BB will bring the best team available, he may not make the travel roster, if this kid does play I'll give you the extent of what he'll need to know; block.  If he does that, he'll see some balls thrown his way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

When spending less doesn't lead to being more successful, at which point do you change?

If "spending more" mattered Dan Snyder's Redskins would have won at least one ring over the last decade or more, and Jerry Jones could have fooled us all into thinking he is a real football GM and had anything to do with Jimmy Johnson's titles, other than signing the checks.  Spending wisely and prudently is more important, save for a rainy day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

The guy looks really well traveled.  Odds are 80% that he's gone in a week and 20% that he sticks.  Do both of his arms still work or is he washed up?  He flunked out of the Packers training camp because an arm injury slowed him down, but arms tend to heal.  At least he's a blocking tight end, and BB likes tight ends that can block.  That's why he's worth a tryout.

Nope.  One look and he's gone in a couple of days.  The Pats take a Mulligan on this one.

I had to say it.  The voices in my head wouldn't let me back out of it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

The unfortunate aspect of this is that the game of football suffers with this system. There are lots of older, mid-level players like Fells who aren't playing football, when lesser players like Mulligan are, and it has nothing to do with ability, just economics. That was not the case pre-cap. If the cap wasn't an issue, you'd obviously want the more experienced player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

The unfortunate aspect of this is that the game of football suffers with this system. There are lots of older, mid-level players like Fells who aren't playing football, when lesser players like Mulligan are, and it has nothing to do with ability, just economics. That was not the case pre-cap. If the cap wasn't an issue, you'd obviously want the more experienced player.

The upside is when some team is desperate for tightend help, the first one they'll want is the most experienced, Fells won't be out of work for long, can wait for a contender if he wants and if a man can't live off an NFL pension then he needs to downsize anyway.  

I never cry for millionaires Muz, that was drilled into me as a child.  I know a million ain't what it used to be, but a wise man could live off the interest, a wiser man could turn that dime into a dollar.  Mulligan truly might be bigger tougher stronger, I don't consider he and Fells the same position anyhow, we kind of need that 6th lineman/blocking tightend, almost two different positions.  

Sudfeld on the other hand just looks better, the kid has huge upside, he has to keep his head on straight and eat humble pie but he looks real good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

The upside is when some team is desperate for tightend help, the first one they'll want is the most experienced, Fells won't be out of work for long, can wait for a contender if he wants and if a man can't live off an NFL pension then he needs to downsize anyway.  

I never cry for millionaires Muz, that was drilled into me as a child.  I know a million ain't what it used to be, but a wise man could live off the interest, a wiser man could turn that dime into a dollar.  Mulligan truly might be bigger tougher stronger, I don't consider he and Fells the same position anyhow, we kind of need that 6th lineman/blocking tightend, almost two different positions.  

Sudfeld on the other hand just looks better, the kid has huge upside, he has to keep his head on straight and eat humble pie but he looks real good.

He needs to stay healthy.  He makes Ras-I Dowling's injury history look like string a slight boo-boos by comparison.  But for a UDFA he certainly shows enough skill to have been drafted by someone.     

Sections
Shortcuts