maybe a good loss?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

maybe a good loss?

I am thinking that maybe two losses in a row could be a good thing.  Last year the were 14-2 going into the playoffs.  I think they were overconfident going into the playoff and it contributed to their early exit. They have a lot of young players on this team.  Winning games by a 30 point margin is easy.  Winning a hard fought low scoring game is good.  Losing a hard fought game in the final minutes is a less.  They need to learn that the game is 60 minutes long and can be lost in the final play of the game.   This loss should help them build character.  It should make them hungry.  They need to learn that winning in the NFL is not easy and you cannot rely on your offense to score 30 or more points every game.  This is a team that has had high turnover in the last couple of years.  Maybe a couple of losses will wake them up to the fact that on any given sunday they can lose.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Re: maybe a good loss?

At this point in the season there's no such thing. Will losing to the Jets and eagles be 'good losses too' because the way the team is playing right now I wouldn't bet the Pats in either game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I would agree with your theory if I had any confidence the Pats would/could learn from this loss.

I just think there are too many things wrong with the team that can't be fixed just by readjusting attitude.

The awful offensive playcalling and lack of defensive playmakers is on the coaching staff/GM, no amount of character or hunger on the players' part will change that.

I wish the problem was just with the players, because they would be willing to learn from their mistakes. I don't think BB is really willing to accept any blame and so he won't make the necessary changes.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

I've never heard anyone suggest not being ahead of your division is a good thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

As usual I think the defense is coming along despite the last drive. Even on that drive, not to let the D off the hook but if they played straight up like they did most of the game and not prevent I think they would have been fine.

By the end of the year the D will be the top in the league..mark my words.

The only 'good' thing about that game..and the Pats did not need to lose to see this, is the Offense needs to make big adjustments by the end of the year to even make the playoffs and certainly to go anywhere if they do make them. Finally the coaching sataff cannot overlook this or deny it anymore.

The offense has a good o-line, good running backs and, 3 really good targets on D.

Branch and ocho are not fast enough, and apparently ocho does not run routes precise enough to scare up more than single coverage from the other teams 3rd and 4th coverage guys.

I guess trading for a talented, big, deep threat, is the only personel move to be made excpet playing Prce or Slater on almost every passing down, which may not bring them the entire way but will help.

Clearly testing out Vereen and playing Ridley a bit more is worthdoing..why not? They did use the run to set up the pass against the Giants.

Brady need to practice passes over 20 yeard a bit. Since Moss left he is gotten really rusty..never was his strong suit.

Besides that its all introducing more plays a that can get the offense rolling earlier in the game. the Patriots have been fine after 4-5 possesions..they need to be able to do what is needed..make adjustments..and get TB warmed up a bit so his downfiled vison and accuracy doen't s*ck the first few quarters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Blowing the game, when you've got the lead late, stinks. What did we learn? That the secondary is awful. We already knew that. Guarding a receiver comes down to praying that the ball hits them on the back of the helmut or that pass interference doesn't get called. How are you gonna change that? 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: maybe a good loss?:
    Maybe. I think if rhey answer the ball in NY and show themselves to be the kind of team they can be, especially on offense, then maybe. Our D did a nice job responding to a bad week of 3rd down D last week against a good offense on the road. I am good with how they look and how they know they can play, containing the run, being physical, mixing in man and zone, timely pass rush with only 4 rushers, etc. Like I said 2 and 3 weeks ago, I know BB will have the D tuned up for December. What I don't know is, can Brady improve and be the Brady of the dynasty era. Can he set the ego aside and throw less? Slight tweaks are needed on both sides, but the easier adjustments (the few that there are on D - tackling consistency, pass D consistency), are easier fixes just be focusing better and effort.  On the offense, it's sort of like the lead singer syndrome who sings like crap, but people in the band are afraid to point it out to him. It's a serious dynamic that sometimes sinks a team concept. Only good thing out of this is they lost to an NFC team. I never thought in a million years that I'd be saying "Tom Brady needs to prove it to me every week" in 2011, but I am.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I have been reading what you have been saying on this for weeks and I think I am one of the few who have agreed with you. The bottom line is BB is a defensive coach, by playoff time his D will be ready. Did everyone here forget the last 10 years???

He needs a really good O  coordinator that can actually challenge and push Brady.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: maybe a good loss? : I recall someone asking who everyone was rooting for in the Jets/Bills game and most all said Buff. However, the only good thing out of that is we stay even with Buffalo with ther loss. If Buffalo had won, obviously one game back and seeing them again in Foxborough would make things more than interesting, especially if NE was slip up yet again somewhere else down the line here.

So you believe it can be good to lose a game? Other than improving draft order for scrub teams with no chance. I don't see it. What people thought about the Buffalo game is irrelevant. The more games you win the better your odds of  making the playoffs. You don't make the playoffs you can't win the SB. If you have a different theory enlighten me.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

The only thing good is that it's a non division , non conference loss.

I'd rather lose the giants than the jets ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I would agree with your theory if I had any confidence the Pats would/could learn from this loss. I just think there are too many things wrong with the team that can't be fixed just by readjusting attitude. The awful offensive playcalling and lack of defensive playmakers is on the coaching staff/GM, no amount of character or hunger on the players' part will change that. I wish the problem was just with the players, because they would be willing to learn from their mistakes. I don't think BB is really willing to accept any blame and so he won't make the necessary changes.
    Posted by jedinate

I am worried about that too. I think the players already play with more discipine than most all teams but against better talent and teams that overload to your tendencies that only goes so far.

They need a few new tricks and only the coaches can supply that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thor7. Show thor7's posts

That was an excellent loss.  One of the top losses of the decade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

a 10-6 record was good enough for Green Bay to win the superbowl last year.  They were 3 - 3 after the first 6 games.  5-3 after the first 8.  So their second half of the season ended 5-3.  I do not see the Patriot going 5-3 in the next 8 games.  Maybe 6-2 or 7-1 but not 5-3.  The only goal for the regular season should be to make the playoffs.   A first round bye is nice but making the playoffs with momentum is the most important.  I think many are panicing becouse things are not flowing right now.  It is a long season with ups and downs.  Most predicted the Patriots to go 12-4, so what is the worry.  This team is capable of a big win on any given Sunday.  I think as time goes by, the offense will get back on track and the defense will get better.  As this happens, these two bad games will be a distant memory.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Jets win 3rd Super Bowl in a row!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Blowing the game, when you've got the lead late, stinks. What did we learn? That the secondary is awful. We already knew that. Guarding a receiver comes down to praying that the ball hits them on the back of the helmut or that pass interference doesn't get called. How are you gonna change that? 
    Posted by trouts

The Pats have never looked so bad on this than this season. Just awful. They are simply getting beat down field. And they never look for the ball. Ever. Not sure how they are going to fix that problem either. If they can, great.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

AT least we get to play two teams in a row with bad QB's . That seems to be the differance in the last two losses.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

A loss is not a good thing!  Two losses in a row certainly isn't a good thing!  And three losses in a row would certainly be horrible!  Patriots better get this worked out by Sunday night otherwise doom and gloom is here for the season!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: maybe a good loss? : I have it rated #4 on the top 10 list of the worst McDaniels Base Shotgun Spread Failure losses since 2006. 1.   SB 42. 2.   Jets Playoff Loss. 3.   Title game 2006. 4.   Giants yesterday. 5.   Buffalo in Week 3. 6.   Pitt Last Week. 7.   2009 in Denver. 8.   2009 in Miami. 9.   2009 in NY. 10. 2009 Baltimore playoff loss with no Welker.

OK, there is a pattern how to fix? No way to totally scrap the offense at this point.

How does this offense go bad when it does, when its does and how does it work well?

Not every team can shut down this offense The defenses that do are quick and athletic, have a good rush and at least 2 good man coverage CB's and / or linebackers.

Here are the ones that can do it this year:

Jets (on a good day)
    Giants
    Cowboys
    Lions (maybe)
    Pitt (on a good day)
    SF?
    Cinci?
    Ravens (maybe)
    any more?

Amazingly the Patriots have played 4 on this list and one in pre-season.

Adjustments I can think of:
    don't give up on the run after its been established, more outlet options when receivers 1 &2 are covered, faster/bigger 4th receiver,more shuttle pass/wildcat/reverse type plays (they seem to work) , letting a defender rush in free and throwing a tight spiral at his groin area.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts