Maybe its time for Mr. Kraft to ask his security director for his resignation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Maybe its time for Mr. Kraft to ask his security director for his resignation

I have read through several of the postings here and have heard a lot of talk radio conversations over the past few days that are blaming BB for drafting AH, and also blaming BB for not knowing AH was apparently a gang member who was into a lot of bad stuff. I understand the Belichick is responsible for the football operations. I understand he is ultimately responsible for who gets drafted and who gets signed to extensions. But, as discussed in the 'Patriots Way' thread,  at a lower level, there has to be someone else who is doing the background checks on these players, someone else who needed to 'do their job'. Both before the draft where they determines that Hernandez smoked some weed, but there is nothing else really there to not take him if he drops to the 4th round (although other teams said they would not take him anywhere). And then making the recommendation last summer that, yeah, we have checked him out thoroughly, he's pretty clean and you shouldn't worry about giving him that extension. I can see BB being responsible for the evaluation of the football talent of players, but I don't think he has the time to be the one evaluating their off field movements and actions. There was a major failure here, I just don't see that it can all be put on BB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: Maybe its time for Mr. Kraft to ask his security director for his resignation

I agree.  For a businessman like Kraft there should be more due diligence in continually protecting and evaluating your assets (players in this case).   I fault them less for drafting AH than I do for giving him the huge contract recently.

Who was it that said "nothing good comes from being out after 3am"?  I'm not naive - I realize their are plenty of ballplayers that are out at clubs very late.  But, did the Pats know that AH was one of those guys and the kind of crowd he hung with?   They should have.

I'm not one who believes in an overhaul of the organization, but team security should defintely be improved.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Maybe its time for Mr. Kraft to ask his security director for his resignation

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

I have read through several of the postings here and have heard a lot of talk radio conversations over the past few days that are blaming BB for drafting AH, and also blaming BB for not knowing AH was apparently a gang member who was into a lot of bad stuff. I understand the Belichick is responsible for the football operations. I understand he is ultimately responsible for who gets drafted and who gets signed to extensions. But, as discussed in the 'Patriots Way' thread,  at a lower level, there has to be someone else who is doing the background checks on these players, someone else who needed to 'do their job'. Both before the draft where they determines that Hernandez smoked some weed, but there is nothing else really there to not take him if he drops to the 4th round (although other teams said they would not take him anywhere). And then making the recommendation last summer that, yeah, we have checked him out thoroughly, he's pretty clean and you shouldn't worry about giving him that extension. I can see BB being responsible for the evaluation of the football talent of players, but I don't think he has the time to be the one evaluating their off field movements and actions. There was a major failure here, I just don't see that it can all be put on BB.

RESPONSE: Excellent post! Point well taken: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20130627-jim-donaldson-violence-not-new-thing-in-hernandezs-life.ece

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

Guys come on.  AH has been in the league going on 4years.  Who is to blame here?  If he did this his first or second year I can understand someone in the organization should be held accountable for not doing there due diligence.  This is all on AH not no one else.  AH has been a modist citizen up to now. AH is the only one to blame.

Case in point!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/28/nfl-security-chief-criticizing-patriots-is-2020-hindsight/

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to NedBraden's comment:

I think this is ridiculous.  By all accounts, AH worked hard, minded his business, progressed, was a fine teammate, etc. 

Don't go looking for scapegoats or whatnot. This is a clear isolated, one-off, terrible situation. Nothing more, nothing less.   If you spend that kind of time around someone in a locker room, film room, on the road, eating, training, etc, that means A LOT of people didn't see it.

Shame on me or anyone for use not seeing it huh?  It's so stupid to play these games. 

I am not saying to pool the wool over your eyes in the future and not double check on prospects who may come from crappy backgrounds, etc.  But, I am not going to be one of these knee jerk type drama queens who need some sort of reassurance in the form of scapegoating someone due to some apparent psycho's off field life, which in turn made him someone living a double life, for a while anyway.

That's ridiculous.

This will not be the last example of this, sadly enough.

Nailed it!!

I'm ready to choke Felger yesterday doing his usual negative spin on everything, trying to blame BB & Kraft for this debacle. Felger the fraud and his idiot side kick Mazz were just praising the organization for extending him early just a little while back....now they are trying to blame them....so dumb!!

I don't give a crap how great you "security team" is....or how thorough your back ground checks are....people will slip through the cracks.

There isn't one person on this Earth who saw this coming. Period!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Mazz?  Now there's a red-meat "analyst."  Would think he would concentrate more on his run-on sentences and leave security to the folks that KNOW about such things...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

At this time last year the Patriots were one of the fewest teams to have players arrested since 2000.  Now this may be the biggest arrest, but there is just no way to tell what someone is going to do, the decisions they are going to make.  It's impossible.  There can be speculation but that's it. 

There are more and more problem people in society these days then past years, no different in the NFL.  I'm actually a bit surprised the lack of piling on by the media over the Hernandez situation as far as the Patriots drafting him is concerned.  I thought there would be a whole lot more Patriot bashing but as of now I have seen and heard very little and believe me, I have been paying close attention to all of this situation.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the original O/P is correct. I think the team had VERY good intel on AH, as they do with most every player...same as most every other team.

I 100% feel that BB and most likely Kraft digested the material and made a decision on how to proceed. This time, the decision back fired. This org is set up that EVERYTHING is on one persons shoulders...BB.

I say Kraft most likely also knew and signed off, because it appears the contract language and the release of AH means that the paid bonus cannot be clawed back..meaning millions lost, and creating a sizeable cap hit this year and next

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I say Kraft most likely also knew and signed off, because it appears the contract language and the release of AH means that the paid bonus cannot be clawed back..meaning millions lost, and creating a sizeable cap hit this year and next

I'd bet the farm they will go after every penny they can legally get back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

I'd bet the farm they will go after every penny they can legally get back.

I am of the belief that by releasing him, they gave up the opportunity to try and get the bonus money back

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I would not have changed a thing. Funny thing is if they had passed on him and he went with another team and became the star he was , everyone criticizing BB now would have been doing the same thing back then for passing on him. There are plenty of guys with troubled backgrounds in the nfl and more than a few have played for the pats and did okay without getting into trouble.

Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding the truth.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Thanks for quoting my clean post before it was deleted by the mods. As you can see now with proof right there, my comments are deleted and censored for no reason. Further, my bannings are literally for no reason other than some mod being told to keep my comments off the board because it compromises the Globe's ability/agenda to make money off the Pats in a negative way.  Told ya.

While I certainly don't agree with all of your posts, the one I quoted was spot on. What the mods do here is something I simply don't worry about.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

every team in the NFL, and the Fla Gators knew Hern's problems in college were not smoking weed evey now and then. His problems were drugs in general, his known gang related associates, and his fascination with guns. He was off many teams draft boards.

The Pats were very well aware of this.

Did anyone think this would come to murder? Of course not..but the Pats very well knew the type of person they were getting involved with.

the original OP makes a point that a lower level associate is to blame...non sense. the intel was readily available for every team, including the PAts. The Pats, meaning BB made a decision that back fored...plain and simple

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

The Pats were very well aware of this.

Did anyone think this would come to murder? Of course not..but the Pats very well knew the type of person they were getting involved with.

NOBODY knew this kid was a possible killer. NFL teams take risks every year, and (most) of them turn out okay as the draft picks usually are smart enough to turn their tainted pasts around.

It's beyond ridiculous for the likes of Felger & Mazz to try and point fingers here. I know that is their schtick, but it's just horrible media coverage of this story.

I have said this in several different threads......no matter how great your back-ground checks are, and how amazing your security team is.....people will slip through the cracks. There is no possible way on this green Earth that either BB or Kraft would have brought AH here if they knew he would end up pulling this crap. They took a calculated risk, and lost. People playing the blame game are being completely narrow sighted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Most of posts are spot on, dude.  Regarding my Brady assessment and our offense, you just don't like the origins of the premise and the supporting content. Hey, I don't like sitting back in January knowing Brady will eventually fail either. I am tired of looking at it too.

On the bright side, this forces Brady back under Center even more with more traditional sets and an emphasis on that, so when we need it in January, we'll have more confidence in the methodical offensive approach.

We will have to agree to disagree I guess. Do I think Brady needs to play better in the post season?...yes. Do I put 100% of the blame on Brady's shoulders for all of our post season losses? Absolutely not....it's a team sport.

I understand you want to put it all on TBs shoulders, and that's your right to do so. I just don't agree with that part of your reasoning. Nuff said.

Sections
Shortcuts