Maybe Mallett will have trade value

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Maybe Mallett will have trade value

The Boston Globe's Greg Bedard suggests that Ryan Mallett could be targeted by the Browns via trade now that Mike Lombardi is Cleveland's VP of Player Personnel.

Lombardi was one of the few media types smitten with Mallett before the 2011 draft, stating in April of that year that he was "convinced" Mallett would be a top-20 pick. Mallett was drafted 74th by the Patriots. It's no secret Lombardi isn't high on Brandon Weeden, and big-armed Mallett would be a fit for Rob Chudzinski's vertical offense. The Pats would probably want at least a second-round pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Maybe Mallett will have trade value

Well I guess it depends on who they pick as the GM and how they feel about McCoy and Weeden. But boy would I love Mallett for a second rounder.

Perfect situatiion in my opinion, would be the Pats getting Armstead, drafting a DE with a 1st, safety with a second, WR with the other second, and a nickel cb with their 3rd.

Boom. All needs filled. Of course it depends on who the best player available is and it may not work out that way.

But there should be a lot of backups coming this offseason. I'm not sure Matt Flynn finds a starting gig. Maybe they resign Hoyer or Cassel if they're released and then draft a QB late.

I'm not that high on Mallett and if someone is willing to offer a second for him, I would take it in a heartbeat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Also, Lombardi and BB worked together for those who don't know

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

A semi high second for Mallett, done deal. Where do I sign?

Mallett hasn't shown anything yet as a QB other than a Bledsoe type of arm. I don't think he's the air appearent to Brady and if Brady plans on being around for another 3 years after this current contract I say get what you can for Mallett today

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Wait. CLE gave up up it's second for Josh Gordon. Not sure if a third would be worth it.

But I agree about Mallett. His contract expires at the same time as Brady's too.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Brady was 3 years as a backup before he 'showed' anything so why is anyone expecting something different from Mallet? Are you all suggesting we dump him and waste a draft pick on another rookie QB or is this a stealth 'we want tebow' thread?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Brady was 3 years as a backup before he 'showed' anything so why is anyone expecting something different from Mallet? Are you all suggesting we dump him and waste a draft pick on another rookie QB or is this a stealth 'we want tebow' thread?

wasnt TB drafted in 2000, getting into 1 game and maybe throwing 5 passes? And in 2001 Bledsoe went down in the 2nd game, and Brady played 15 games that year (not including playoffs).

that being said, while we say Mallette hasnt shown anything, the coaches see him every day, and let Hoyer go based on what they are seeing. I have to assume, he is showing something.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Brady was drafted in 00' and started in 01'..... I might be really bad at math but.....

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ricky - all I have to go by are the practices I've watched him at and the pre-season games and from what I've seen he's showed the same issues since he was drafted: no touch on the ball, poor decisions/lack of vision, bad ball security when dropping back. From that imo he has shown nothing, at least by now I would hope he'd show some signs of improvement in those areas

rkarp - Hoyer got a job on the Card's at the end of a season which they lost 3 QBs none of which are anywhere close to starting caliber. I liked Hoyer a lot but it's pretty clear what the league thinks of him. Beating him out, which he was the 4th option for a team with no QB, isn't exactly indicative of ability

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I'm in the camp that thinks we should try and hold onto Mallett and let him continue to learn the Tom Brady way. Just a weird feeling that he could be great with the right coaching & teaching from Brady.

He hasn't seen the field enough to warrant a high draft pick, but we all know the kid has a rifle for an arm. I predict Brady plays two more years max, and calls it quits. Mallett should be an expert with our system by then....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Mallett hasn't shown anything yet as a QB other than a Bledsoe type of arm. I don't think he's the air appearent to Brady and if Brady plans on being around for another 3 years after this current contract I say get what you can for Mallett today

This, add in the fact that Mallett was only worth a 3rd round pick for a 4 year contract, so I think it's unlikely that somebody will offer a 2nd round pick with only 2 years left. 

I'd be thrilled if somebody would even offer a third rounder but I doubt that happens.  BB has fleeced his friends before though- Saban and Welker.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Ricky - all I have to go by are the practices I've watched him at and the pre-season games and from what I've seen he's showed the same issues since he was drafted: no touch on the ball, poor decisions/lack of vision, bad ball security when dropping back. From that imo he has shown nothing, at least by now I would hope he'd show some signs of improvement in those areas

rkarp - Hoyer got a job on the Card's at the end of a season which they lost 3 QBs none of which are anywhere close to starting caliber. I liked Hoyer a lot but it's pretty clear what the league thinks of him. Beating him out, which he was the 4th option for a team with no QB, isn't exactly indicative of ability

fair enough, but there were many here in September wondering if the PAts could get a #2 for Hoyer if you recall.

just because a QB plays for the Pats under TB and BB doesnt make him so desireable to another team to surrender a #2 or even a #3

I have been critical of BB on a few issues...the draft...free agency...and his unwillingness to pull Brady to develop a 2nd string QB in games that are put away.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

"mallett hasn't shown anything".. gee maybe because he hasn't seen the field?

True, but that doesn't really matter to someone looking to trade.  It will be a pretty tough sell that he is really great and worth a low pick based on the Pats word, people will want to see it.  They haven't.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

fair enough, but there were many here in September wondering if the PAts could get a #2 for Hoyer if you recall.

just because a QB plays for the Pats under TB and BB doesnt make him so desireable to another team to surrender a #2 or even a #3

I have been critical of BB on a few issues...the draft...free agency...and his unwillingness to pull Brady to develop a 2nd string QB in games that are put away.

I am ashamed to admit I thought we could get a late 4th or 5th for Hoyer, maybe a 3rd is someone was truely desperate. Looking back on it I feel completely foolish even seggusting a pick. That being said Mallett was a top 20 prospect before his ego derailed him off the field. That does how some value to the right team. A second round pick? maybe not but I would jump if someone was willing to give it. If it's for a better 3rd then what we gave to get him??? then I'd have to think long and hard. I wouldn't until I saw who was available and if I had a plan to get another QB to replace Malllett but you are right his value right now might make it not worth trading, but then again there are teams that will trade for a QB who they think fits their system (KC and Cards are perfect examples)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

I'm in the camp that thinks we should try and hold onto Mallett and let him continue to learn the Tom Brady way. Just a weird feeling that he could be great with the right coaching & teaching from Brady.

He hasn't seen the field enough to warrant a high draft pick, but we all know the kid has a rifle for an arm. I predict Brady plays two more years max, and calls it quits. Mallett should be an expert with our system by then....

I think the learning from Brady thing is overrated. None of Brady's other backups have amounted into anything. Out of the current elite QBs (Brees, Rodgers, and Manning) only one has had a backup that has gone on to do something in the league, and that guy was a top 5 overall pick (Rivers).

The only thing you get from sitting on a bench is more time to master the system. Unless he's getting a lot of practice reps, he probably isn't improving that much. Rookie Qbs aren't regarded in the same way they were 6 years ago. When a 3rd round rookie QB plays at a pro bowl level, people will be expecting QBs to at least play at a Kirk Cousins level right away.

All we've really seen from Mallett is preseason playing time. And it's been okay at best. Letting Hoyer go isn't really a sign that BB saw something in Mallett. It's probably more of a sign that he saw nothing in Hoyer. Hoyer didn't get picked up until Byron Leftwich went down.

I never really thought Hoyer or Mallett had much value. I even posted a thread about it. But now that Lombardi is on the Browns, that could change things. If he really thought Mallett was a top 20 pick and that Weeden stinks, then now I wouldn't be surprised if he made a move for Mallett.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Really? And the rest of us thought Brady 'showed' something when he won a SB in his second year. Thanks for popping in and sharing your vast football knowledge with us glenr.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If there was someone willing to trade (and I do not think it the most likely, just possible perhaps) I would expect maybe a 3rd and 4th. Would like a 2nd. UNLESS BB really likes what he is seeing in practice. Then I have no problem keeping him on the roster.

If he is progressing and upside remains high maybe a little showcasing in preseason could bring his stock up for a team really wanting to take a flier without giving up a first rounder.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

"air" appearant"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

Now here's a fan who really knows his team.  Three years?  Did you miss the 2001 season?  I heard that Brady won some big game that year.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

The Boston Globe's Greg Bedard suggests that Ryan Mallett could be targeted by the Browns via trade now that Mike Lombardi is Cleveland's VP of Player Personnel.

Lombardi was one of the few media types smitten with Mallett before the 2011 draft, stating in April of that year that he was "convinced" Mallett would be a top-20 pick. Mallett was drafted 74th by the Patriots. It's no secret Lombardi isn't high on Brandon Weeden, and big-armed Mallett would be a fit for Rob Chudzinski's vertical offense. The Pats would probably want at least a second-round pick.    

Not everyone connected to Belichick is as much of a sucker as Pioli.    

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

"A semi high second for Mallett, done deal. Where do I sign?"

no sh@t!

brady aint giving up the reigns. mallet will be gone. 

highest bidder.