Maybe Mallett will have trade value

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Maybe Mallett will have trade value

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Ricky - all I have to go by are the practices I've watched him at and the pre-season games and from what I've seen he's showed the same issues since he was drafted: no touch on the ball, poor decisions/lack of vision, bad ball security when dropping back. From that imo he has shown nothing, at least by now I would hope he'd show some signs of improvement in those areas

rkarp - Hoyer got a job on the Card's at the end of a season which they lost 3 QBs none of which are anywhere close to starting caliber. I liked Hoyer a lot but it's pretty clear what the league thinks of him. Beating him out, which he was the 4th option for a team with no QB, isn't exactly indicative of ability

fair enough, but there were many here in September wondering if the PAts could get a #2 for Hoyer if you recall.

just because a QB plays for the Pats under TB and BB doesnt make him so desireable to another team to surrender a #2 or even a #3

I have been critical of BB on a few issues...the draft...free agency...and his unwillingness to pull Brady to develop a 2nd string QB in games that are put away.

"I have been critical of BB on a few issues...the draft...free agency...and his unwillingness to pull Brady to develop a 2nd string QB in games that are put away."

+1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Brady was 3 years as a backup before he 'showed' anything so why is anyone expecting something different from Mallet? Are you all suggesting we dump him and waste a draft pick on another rookie QB or is this a stealth 'we want tebow' thread?

Brady was drafted in 00' and started in 01'..... I might be really bad at math but.....

:)..................

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

A semi high second for Mallett, done deal. Where do I sign?

Mallett hasn't shown anything yet as a QB other than a Bledsoe type of arm. I don't think he's the air appearent to Brady and if Brady plans on being around for another 3 years after this current contract I say get what you can for Mallett today

"A semi high second for Mallett, done deal. Where do I sign?"

no sh@t!

brady aint giving up the reigns. mallet will be gone. 

highest bidder.

Cleveland will not give up a first for him, and they do not have a second.

What if they offer a 2013 third and a 2014 third?

Two months ago, I was thinking this was ridiculous even to consider. However, when you look at the QBs in this classr, I don't think anyone is better than Mallett. 

How does Lombardi feel about Alex Smith?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I know this is rare, but what about a player for player trade? Who does Cleveland have that we may want?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Mallett is worth more to us after another couple of seasoning years behind Brady, pay him a good backup salary.  

Answer truthfully, do you guys feel comfortable with one backup behind Brady?  Don't we want him to be as well prepared and as solid a prospect as possible?  We can always draft another project prospect like Brady next year with a middle/late pick right...?

And Lifer I wouldn't trade straight up for any Browns players, beyond the players they would not part with.  There's always a vet QB around to play backup.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Mallett is worth more to us after another couple of seasoning years behind Brady, pay him a good backup salary.  

Answer truthfully, do you guys feel comfortable with one backup behind Brady?  Don't we want him to be as well prepared and as solid a prospect as possible?  We can always draft another project prospect like Brady next year with a middle/late pick right...?

And Lifer I wouldn't trade straight up for any Browns players, beyond the players they would not part with.  There's always a vet QB around to play backup.

How many picks do we have left? I'd rather draft a qb prospect maybe a year from this draft 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Surprised by the 2nd round guess work.    The QB class this year has graded pretty low so I wouldn't count something like this out.  Especially if Lombardi feels Mallett was that high of a pick.  Then on the other hand if this is true why would you want to give up a talent like that? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

he was up and down at  Arkansas when he played there. He'd make some great plays leading to scores and then out of nowhere throw a pick six. he's slow but has a great arm, just made too many mistakes imo. who knows, maybe he's improved since then but if he's still at the same level as then we wouldn't want him as the next QB when Brady is done.A second round pick or a proven player would be a good trade for the Patriots. BB  knows his QB's so we can be assured that he makes the right move.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

agree about the vet qb. trade him before we have zero leverge to do so.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy

Mallett to the Browns will probably heat up. Browns will have to give up number 6 overall pick this year, plus more. No clue what else.

plus more? who wrote that?

if we get a #6 for mallet they should fire the decisionmaker in cleveland (but not till after the draft when we select star lotuleilei or bjoern werner! (that woudl be the coup of the year!)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy

Mallett to the Browns will probably heat up. Browns will have to give up number 6 overall pick this year, plus more. No clue what else.

plus more? who wrote that?

if we get a #6 for mallet they should fire the decisionmaker in cleveland (but not till after the draft when we select star lotuleilei or bjoern werner! (that woudl be the coup of the year!)

if cleveland gives up the #6 it would mean NE would give up their #1 one (pick 28-32). Cleveland would then have to throw in probably Brandon Weeden + another pick in 2013 or 2014

BB obviously thinks highly of Mallett, as he should. i don't know why us fans don't... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1490462-nfl-draft-rumor-browns-considering-trading-6th-overall-pick-for-ryan-mallett

so its not mallet for #6 but mallet and our #1 for #6 and somethinig else.

i dont care what something else is. i want the #6 and i run.

i look at theiir roster. probabbly tomorrow and sure ill see what theyre willing to part with.

positions of need, big wr, big cb, top safety, dt, pass rsuhing dt, c/g, big outside wr, speedy cover lb.

i dont need weedon, i can get some backup qb out of work. he will never see the field unless we have a blown season anyway.

by the way is this verified by any other source?

who is nfl philosophY?

thanks for teh juicy bits!

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/63934/does-lombardi-trade-for-patriots-mallett

Prior to the 2011 NFL draft, NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi speculated that Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett was going to be a first-round pick. In early January, Lombardi said selecting quarterback Brandon Weeden at No. 22 last year was a "panicked disaster" and Colt McCoy gave the Browns a better chance to win. 

If you connect the dots, one could speculate that Lombardi would prefer Mallett as his starting quarterback over Weeden. That's what led the Boston Globe's Greg Bedard to tweet: "For Patriots fans, Mike Lombardi getting Cleveland personnel job puts possible Ryan Mallett trade back on front burner." 

Lombardi spoke today of having a good relationship with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, so that could help facilitate a trade between the teams. 

When asked about his critical comments about Weeden on Friday, Lombardi said, "I think it's going to take some time to study him. When you live in the building, I think you have a better understanding of the player moving forward. It's going to take me some time to really formulate my final opinions of him."

this piece above indicates this is all specualtion.

the otrher source seemed to indicate actual knowledge of a trade and some key pieces being discussed

seemed way too good to be true..and apparently is.

keep me post

thanks man.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

just rumors stemming from greg bedard's tweet...

Greg A. Bedard@GregABedard

For Patriots fans, Mike Lombardi getting Cleveland personnel job puts possible Ryan Mallett trade back on front burner.

oh, im jsut reading this in reverse order.

whatgever lombradi said as sports insider cannot be taken with seriousness as to what he actually would do when in position wiht a team. we'll see.

woudl make my day and pats offseason if this fantasy became reality.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Here a story about a man named brady.

The misconception about the timeline between his being drafted in the 6th round and when he first saw the field..Is clouded by the fact that he was actullay #3 on the depth chart in 2000 and was still the #3 before coming to camp in 2001 and winning the #2 spot as Bledsoe primary back up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy

If BB could get anywhere near the 6th overall for Mallett than I think he would trip over himself to take that trade.  I suspect this is some of the most wishful thinking I've ever heard.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Here a story about a man named brady.

The misconception about the timeline between his being drafted in the 6th round and when he first saw the field..Is clouded by the fact that he was actullay #3 on the depth chart in 2000 and was still the #3 before coming to camp in 2001 and winning the #2 spot as Bledsoe primary back up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady

Outside of Glenr I don't know of any NE fan ever who is not completely aware of when Brady was drafted and the time and circumstances to his starting.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy

If BB could get anywhere near the 6th overall for Mallett than I think he would trip over himself to take that trade.  I suspect this is some of the most wishful thinking I've ever heard.

Here's the deal Mallet was highly touted by many coming out of college and was infact graded out as the 3rd best of the class by many of the national pundits. The reason is because he has what can't be coached...a cannon

What separates the top prospects from the middle of the pack coming out of college are two tangables....Accuaracy and arm strength...Tebow has a strong arm but can't hit a bus 20 yards downfield...What separates the guys that get on the field in the NFL from those that stand around holding a clip board or end up like you and I with real jobs, is what's between thier ears. The ability too, in real time, read and react to the very complicated coverages of most NFL defenses and stick throws into very small windows that close quickly...

How many can't miss QB's have fallen by the wayside due to not having the cranial capacity to process and command the very complicated playbooks and the abiltiy to digest the volumes of notes on mastering the offensive and defensive schemes in the NFL...Raw athleticism alone won't cut it and maturity also plays a role...

Regaring Mallet, none of us are privy to how well he grades out at practice on any of the above. My guess is that Belicheck and McDaniel's both know what they have and his value will be based on just that...not what another team wants to pay, but rather what would it take to get the Patriots to entertain the idea of trading him. If they have concluded that he's simply a victom of playing behind one of the greatest of all time and will one day be a very good NFL QB when his time comes...Why would they simply give him away?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to shenanigan's comment:

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy

Here's the deal Mallet was highly touted by many coming out of college and was infact graded out as the 3rd best of the class by many of the national pundits. The reason is because he has what can't be coached...a cannon

What separates the top prospects from the middle of the pack coming out of college are two tangables....Accuaracy and arm strength...Tebow has a strong arm but can't hit a bus 20 yards downfield...What separates the guys that get on the field in the NFL from those that stand around holding a clip board or end up like you and I with real jobs, is what's between thier ears. The ability too, in real time, read and react to the very complicated coverages of most NFL defenses and stick throws into very small windows that close quickly...

How many can't miss QB's have fallen by the wayside due to not having the cranial capacity to process and command the very complicated playbooks and the abiltiy to digest the volumes of notes on mastering the offensive and defensive schemes in the NFL...Raw athleticism alone won't cut it and maturity also plays a role...

Regaring Mallet, none of us are privy to how well he grades out at practice on any of the above. My guess is that Belicheck and McDaniel's both know what they have and his value will be based on just that...not what another team wants to pay, but rather what would it take to get the Patriots to entertain the idea of trading him. If they have concluded that he's simply a victom of playing behind one of the greatest of all time and will one day be a very good NFL QB when his time comes...Why would they simply give him away?

We can talk all day long about what the experts thought his value was, but what we know for sure is that none of the 32 teams felt he was worth a first round pick or a second round pick and most didn't think he was worth a third and since that time he has done nothing to increase his value.  He has played less football and has a shorter contract than two years ago.  I cannot think of a single backup QB who has ever drawn a trade without actually playing.

Anythings possible but I think the first GM who trades a first or a second or even a third for a guy they could have had two years ago for less will be on the hot seat.  I'd love it, I hope I'm dead wrong, I just don't see it.

The reason I would trade him is because his contract is up in two years and Brady will not be retired in 2 years.  So you either let Brady walk or Mallett walk and my money is on Mallett.  If you can get something more than a 3rd now I would take it In a heartbeat because in 2 years you get nothing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Ricky - all I have to go by are the practices I've watched him at and the pre-season games and from what I've seen he's showed the same issues since he was drafted: no touch on the ball, poor decisions/lack of vision, bad ball security when dropping back. From that imo he has shown nothing, at least by now I would hope he'd show some signs of improvement in those areas

rkarp - Hoyer got a job on the Card's at the end of a season which they lost 3 QBs none of which are anywhere close to starting caliber. I liked Hoyer a lot but it's pretty clear what the league thinks of him. Beating him out, which he was the 4th option for a team with no QB, isn't exactly indicative of ability

Think about this, if you saw those things in camp rest assured everyone in the league knows how this kid is.

Personally I'd like to see this guy in a real game before I cast any judgements about him, but you're right, I do kind of see the same things you are seeing from preseason games. You never know though - Gm's love strong arm, tall quarterbacks.