Maybe this will help with the current draft....a little?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TruBlue37. Show TruBlue37's posts

Maybe this will help with the current draft....a little?

Guys....first time poster. Been "observing" you from FL for the last year, but never posted.

We all were waiting for a stud rusher or LB to help out....not happening the first two days. After digging a little on each pick we took (except for Mallet), seems like each player is a strong "character" pick, as well as talent. One Virginia coach said Dowling was the "kind of kid you want your daughter to marry." Remember Curtis Martin? Same type of kid.....missed most of his senior season, got picked, I never heard of him, was awesome, and he is still one of my favorite Pats players to this day. Maybe Ras-I will be the same?

Vereen had a quote about being a total team player and "mature beyond his years." Had 31 reps at the combine....that is crazy for a running back. 

BB likes guys like this..........smart, no headaches, intelligent with football...might help swallow the 2011 draft a little better. It is helping me....a little. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

Re: Maybe this will help with the current draft....a little?

This does help - but only a little. Tx

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

It's too early to tell how Dowling and the RBs will do but for now but I like:

1. the Dowling-McCourty-Bodden tandem better than Butler-McCOurty-Bodden.  
    2. the Vereen-Ridley combo better than Morris-Taylor

I just can't see how this is a bad draft for a team which finished 14-2 last season and their promising rookes from last season with one year experience under their belt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i dont think anyone has a major problem with the actual players taken. they all look pretty good. the problem is that there are no front 7 defenders and thats why this team cant win a playoff game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Ras I is my boy!  I saw that article to were the coach talked about how Dowling was a guy you want your daughter to date.  It sounds like its more keeping the guy healthy than anything else, he hasnt played a full season since his junior year in highschool.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Maybe this will help with the current draft....a little?:
    [QUOTE]i dont think anyone has a major problem with the actual players taken. they all look pretty good. the problem is that there are no front 7 defenders and thats why this team cant win a playoff game. 
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

I feel somewhat like you do about the pass rush but this team can win in the playoffs. As for the pass rush... they will likely be at least more competitive there for the following reasons:
    1. Getting back 2 best pass rushing DLs - Ty Warren and Mike Wright
    2. Maturing of SEVERAL LBs
    3. TBC - though I am not a big fan of his... should be more effective as he is coming back from injuries
    4. Maturing of blizting DBs - especially Chung

I do hope we get some added pass rush in FA but even if not they will field a very good team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Maybe this will help with the current draft....a little?:
    [QUOTE]Guys....first time poster. Been "observing" you from FL for the last year, but never posted. We all were waiting for a stud rusher or LB to help out....not happening the first two days. After digging a little on each pick we took (except for Mallet), seems like each player is a strong "character" pick, as well as talent. One Virginia coach said Dowling was the "kind of kid you want your daughter to marry." Remember Curtis Martin? Same type of kid.....missed most of his senior season, got picked, I never heard of him, was awesome, and he is still one of my favorite Pats players to this day. Maybe Ras-I will be the same? Vereen had a quote about being a total team player and "mature beyond his years." Had 31 reps at the combine....that is crazy for a running back.  BB likes guys like this..........smart, no headaches, intelligent with football...might help swallow the 2011 draft a little better. It is helping me....a little. 
    Posted by TruBlue37[/QUOTE]

Good points. I would emphasize the strength of Vareen and the inside running of Ridley.

Also, Solder could end up being the best OLT we have ever had. That is NO small thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

ras is going to play linebacker and defensive end? thats what front 7 means my man.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In the way the Pats evaluate guys they probably do put a good amount of weight on character. Every Superbowl team the Pats have had, have been "no name" defenses. Basically sefless hard working team players who play the system and take any role that is asked of them. That's why teams loaded with selfish talent never seem to be able to pull it all together. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

thing is, no matter how you look at this draft, it is what it is for now.

We can complain all we want but until these guys get on the field and actually play, you can't say it sucks and you truly can't say its amazing.

Most of us, I presume, disliked the McCourty pick. Look how that turned out. The draft is a wait and see thing.

For all we know, Cunnignham progresses and has double digit sacks this year. You never know, especially with an extremely young defense/ overall roster of this team.

My analisys is this. We got a bookend OT for the next 10 seasons. A big physical corner to solidify our CB corps( which if you remember everyone calling for Butlers head last year, these CB's are an improvement over what we had) and two complimentary backs.

I see Vereen and BJGE splitting carries, woodhead on third down and Ridley in  short-yardag/goaline situations. We drafted two completly different skill set TE's last year, we did the same thing this year with RB's. The TE picks worked out pretty well I would say, why can't the Running backs?

Prior to last years draft, the mock on us was that we don't use the TE position, we got two studs and look at the difference in our offense. Maybe we go with a power running game this year? We sure could have used one last year against the Yets. ( steelers Mendenhall ran all over them in their playoff game)

The Mallett pick I look at as a talented prospect coming in here, learning the ropes and hopefully becoming Brady's successor 4 years from now. Otherwise, Im not the biggest fan of this pick but again, its a wait and see proccess. For all we know, BB drafted the next franchise QB.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattadlard. Show mattadlard's posts

BB was talking about our linebackers were young but that we had a good set. So maybe he's happy with who we've got? He obviously didn't rate Allen Bailey, Sheard or Brooks Reed cus he would've taken them. I hope we land Herlich later though, think he would be a great addition!

I like the RB's, imagine Vareen and Woodhead in the backfield....can't wait to see how the jets deal with that kind of speed! 

Not a big name draft but I hope we pull it off

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Maybe the pats are using the jets model more? Great corners and just okay front 7? Who do you worry about in the front 7 when playing the jets? I wanted DE and OLB too with my knowledge of the players, but BB obviously thought Solder, Ras I, and Vereer were better players. 

I also think losing 3 DL before the playoffs (Landon freakin Cohen was on the team at that point!) was a bigger deal than anyone will admit. With that being said, it was the O that laid a turd again the jets. Where did the jets first drive start? It was just an uncharacteristically bad game for Brady O'B, and the entire O. 

In Response to Re: Maybe this will help with the current draft....a little?:
    [QUOTE]ras is going to play linebacker and defensive end? thats what front 7 means my man.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts