Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Mayo and absolute FORCE.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Re: Mayo and absolute FORCE.

He has been unleashed the last few weeks as a blitzing linebacker. Really making a difference now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Here you go Z, I moved it to your thread so we wouldn;t lose it in the game thread.

1.) First and foremost. There is no magic game plan -- sometimes passing twice as much as you run is a good game plan. Sometimes running 45-50 of the time is a good game plan. It DEPENDS ON THE TEAM AND SITUATION. Balance for balance sake is just silly. If they ran 50% of the time in the first 3 quarters this week ... they would not have had all those points. The Texans can be thrown against and are hard to run against. It's about MATCHUPS.

I agree 100%. You have to play game plan football. This is why you trying to pound your chest about us winning and not using the run(after we established it leading to amazing play action production on the 1st drive) is foolish. You clearly show why any smart team would pass against a weak secondary and not run as much against a team that has DOMINATED the run. Oh btw we are 6th in the LG in rushing attempts, oh btw we lead the LG in rushing tds, and rushing 1st downs. Oh but this game shows us that you don't need a run game to win. Good one.

2.) Run pass balance is dictated by situtation not abstract and arbitrary ratios. You don't run on 3rd and 9 just to say you are balanced. 

Nobody ever said that. So I guess you are now the one making stuff up. I said running more against the 28th ranked run defense in the NY Giants was a GREAT situation to run.

3.) PA/misdirection etc gains effectiveness based on how good you are at selling it and how much of a threat your RB is to the defense. Running more ... but running terribly won't make defenders "bite".

Well we averaged 2.6 ypc in the 1st 3 qtrs so how was the play action working so well?? Whoops.

4.) Running more does nothing to improve the defense, getting better defenders improve the defense. Better defense improves defense.

Running more then you did when you were a heavy pass/finesse offense leads to better T.O.P and limits your propensity for turnovers which puts your defense in a bad position,, but you being a coach would know that.

5.) 90% of football is EXECUTION and gameplans minor changes (4 plays here or there) are meaningless compared to 4 plays poorly or well executed .... which creates a MAJOR swing. 

Execution is a by-product of sound game planning and the ability to limit a defense's chances of stopping the play by guessing what it will be.....hence balance having an impact on a great offense....6th in the LG in rushing att's btw.

It's you that pushes your argument waaay past where it should end man. Running the football is not the sole deciding factor in whether a team wins or loses. And the number of times you run is usually based on the kind of situations you find yourself in rather than arbitary wishes of fans.

I've never said that. I said passing 135 att;s to 55 rushes in 3 straight losses to the Gints(2 Super Bowls) was not a good idea. And I said that running in the post season is still as important as it ever was, since the defense's are better...but we didn't so it.

Sorry... I have coached and played. That's how it works dude. 

And for the record I love the improved (ie more effective, not more reps) running game .... but it is meaningless compared to how much an improved defense increases stands to increase their chances.

Bill Belichick coaches and builds this defense. It has never been as bad as fans like you and babe have made it out to be, and whether it supports your argument or not it has been in rebuilding mode. If we were to win a SB in the last 5 years you and everybody else knows deep down that our offense was going to have to score more then 15.5 points per game... but a 90 pass to 35 run ratio in 2 losses didn't get that done.  Lets hope we have balance in the playoffs and utilize the skills of the best play ation QB to have ever walked the face of the earth

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Tom Brady in response to his 2nd question of the post game regarding how effective the play ation was...

{It was great. When your running the ball you can use that play action. We scored on the play to Brandon, and had a few other really critical plays trying to fake the run, and you can get some great seperation of the defense when it happens.}

Yes!

Exactly why PA is MORE EFFECTIVE under Ridley and LESS effective under BJGE. 

You keep saying it's great now stunk then. 

Well ... it worked tonight ... and worked when they weren't even running the ball. But if you CAN run it ... teams pay attention. 

PA is about the threat of the running back ... not the number of times you run it with a crappy runner.

This game proves that definitively ... as have others in the past. 

33 passes ... just 10 runs by the lead back ... that is MORE imbalanced than the 3.5 quarters of the Jets Pats playoff game you howled, and howled and howled about. 

It was imblance then ... but it's balance now.... WHAT GIVES?????!!!!!!????!!!?

Be for real dude.... be for real. Just say you were wrong. 

What gives?? Can't you just explain that to me?

Hey how did 90 passes to 35 rushes work out for the 07 and 11 SB teams? Hey, be real dude, be real...how did it work out?

Oh, oh...we must have just not executed that day. Dumb luck is what wins football games right coach?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This just in from Mikey..

Sharing some halftime thoughts December, 10, 2012 Dec 10 10:03 PM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Sharing some thoughts at halftime as the Patriots lead the Texans 21-0 at Gillette Stadium.

Impressive performance from the Patriots, and a few things stand out.

Receiver Brandon Lloyd said all the right things as criticism was growing last week (link here), and has followed that up with a few big catches -- a sideline grab on third down and then the long touchdown pass. Lloyd’s presence as an outside receiver is showing up tonight, as is his overall professionalism.

The Patriots opened with three straight runs, which was a statement of sorts because the Texans entered as the NFL’s No. 2-ranked run defense in terms of fewest yards allowed per game. Part of that was tied to teams not really testing them, as opponents averaged just a shade more than 21 carries per game against them, a league-low. The Patriots showed from the first three snaps that they weren’t going to concede in that area.

Oh and those runs lead to wide open play action tds and key plays that ignited ablow out....but running isn't conducive to winning... Just perfect.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Defense defenders enjoy your night - well deserved - and they don't come around very often. Hopefully this is the way it's going to be, if it is this team will win the Super Bowl this year when we get Gronk back. Avoid injuries the rest of the way (not that there is anything you can do), get a little bit of luck...get the bye...home field and rip it. 

Not a defender ... not really a detractor. 

The defense has been what it has been. 

But Mayo is a very durned good player. 

The fact that DMC couldn't play corner, and the defensive backfield was a mess for so long had little to do with him. This team has been an abysmal PASS defense. Mayo plays little part in that. 

Dennard + Talib + DMC at safety = something that is starting to look like an NFL caliber pass defense. 

Mayo took the game over tonight. 

Mayo was fantastic.  The secondary is much better too, with Talib, Dennard, and DMC in.  But when Talib got hurt and Arrington took over for him things deteriorated I thought.  Arrington had a great game on special teams and when he was playing slot corner or nickel back, but he's just no good on the outside.  I assume Talib will be back next week - - - he didn't look too bad on the sideline, but they were clearly holding him out since he didn't have his helmet with him after the injury. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

That is all. Took the game over tonight. 

excuse me but he does little of that if wilfork doesnt dominate teh line.

wilfork was  the player on de who took the game over and was my player of the game (gotta give brady a coplayer, great game by him).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Defense defenders enjoy your night - well deserved - and they don't come around very often. Hopefully this is the way it's going to be, if it is this team will win the Super Bowl this year when we get Gronk back. Avoid injuries the rest of the way (not that there is anything you can do), get a little bit of luck...get the bye...home field and rip it. 

Not a defender ... not really a detractor. 

The defense has been what it has been. 

But Mayo is a very durned good player. 

The fact that DMC couldn't play corner, and the defensive backfield was a mess for so long had little to do with him. This team has been an abysmal PASS defense. Mayo plays little part in that. 

Dennard + Talib + DMC at safety = something that is starting to look like an NFL caliber pass defense. 

Mayo took the game over tonight. 

i loved the way bb is playing more man de and blitzing and pressuring the qb more. 

mayo looked very good when blitzing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

McCourty will be a pro bowl safety. Should've resigned him when he was sucking at cb, he and spikes are gonna come at a hefty price (bye welker)

As for Mayo, I had my doubts on him as a special player. Always just considered him just a solid player, not great, but solid. He's been a different man since Talib came in. He's an underrated blitzer. Talib has completely changed the dynamic of this team

you are absoliutely right, and i asked on this board/wished for bb to use him (talib) this way.. and dennard (and to bring more pressure). bb has done it and the def tonight is the result.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I thought Hightower out played him.  But unlike Rusty who hates Brady I want Mayo to live up to that top 10 pick and I will root for him and the Defense.  I do think your creaming a bit hard though.  Vince was an unstoppable force that lead this awesome defense tonight.....period.    Anyone else notice how Spikes disappeared tonight?

"Vince was an unstoppable force that lead this awesome defense tonight.....period.  "

you are absolutely right

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Unfortunatley mayo just isn't very good.

Neither is McCourty, or those problem guys Dennard and Talib.

VW is slowing down too, and hightower looked lost as usual.

Tom Brady showed he doesn't need a running game ever and if McD is smart he will employ a heavy dose of the shotgun spread in the playoffs and keep that bum running game off the field.

But he isn't smart and he suks as an offensive co.

Our O-line is also garbage and we have no talent on offense.

We desperately need a deep threat but our bum GM Bill Belichick has failed at the team building concept and inherited all of his Super Bowl rosters.

Oh yeah and those red white and blue uniforms that represent the United States of America are ugly and should be burned.

In short....this team suks.

McCourty wasn't a very good corner. HE has been a pretty durned good Safety, even in the short stint last season. 

And in case you missed it ... McD and Brady killed it tonight putting on a pass clinic, against the #2 defense, in what amounts to an in season playoff game. 

So I'll add....

"You can't win without running your lead back and balance." to the "Myths" propogated on the board?

33 passes, just 10 runs by Ridley through 3 and a half quarters. 

That is just 10 runs by the lead back. 

35 points. 

#2 defense. 

What happened?

Why are you choosing to leave out the fact that Houston has only let up 1 100 yard rushing game and 1 game with a rushing td all year. Why would we run at them? You trying to say that our pass heavy game plan against a weak pass defense means we don't need balance is a puzzling statement.

Oh and DMC was a good corner who had zero safety help in his career here. But being a former coach you probably wouldn't realize the impact solid safety play has on a CB's ability to cover. DMC is our best player in the secondary, he is right place right time, has amazing range and is one of the best tackling D-backs in the NFL....sounds like moving him to safety makes sense and shouldn't be viewed as an indictment of his ability to play CB.

I think McCourty is just better suited to S. Watching him at CB, his biggest problem was looking back for the ball. As a safety his angles are much different and that part of his technique is less crucial. Coming out of college he was touted as a good safety prospect as well. The overall poor play of Chung, the emergence of Dennard and the snagging of Talib allowed BB to create something much better than we saw last season in the secondary. His all in on D for the draft gave us two studs for the front 7 and a couple others that contribute. So far this D looks VERY different than last year's model, at this point.

"I think McCourty is just better suited to S."

there is absolutley no doubt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Tom Brady showed he doesn't need a running game ever and if McD is smart he will employ a heavy dose of the shotgun spread in the playoffs and keep that bum running game off the field.

We desperately need a deep threat but our bum GM Bill Belichick has failed at the team building concept and inherited all of his Super Bowl rosters.

Oh yeah and those red white and blue uniforms that represent the United States of America are ugly and should be burned.

McCourty wasn't a very good corner. HE has been a pretty durned good Safety, even in the short stint last season. 

And in case you missed it ... McD and Brady killed it tonight putting on a pass clinic, against the #2 defense, in what amounts to an in season playoff game. 

So I'll add....

"You can't win without running your lead back and balance." to the "Myths" propogated on the board?

35 points. 

#2 defense. 

What happened?

houston played man to man in the secondary happened.

brady did his magic

if you dont use the run, the pass can be stopped. 

07 proved that if anyone was watching. 

same as eaerlier losses this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Tom Brady in response to his 2nd question of the post game regarding how effective the play ation was...

{It was great. When your running the ball you can use that play action. We scored on the play to Brandon, and had a few other really critical plays trying to fake the run, and you can get some great seperation of the defense when it happens.}

Yes!

Well ... it worked tonight ... and worked when they weren't even running the ball. But if you CAN run it ... teams pay attention. 

PA is about the threat of the running back ... not the number of times you run it with a crappy runner.

33 passes ... just 10 runs by the lead back ... that is MORE imbalanced than the 3.5 quarters of the Jets Pats playoff game you howled, and howled and howled about. 

Hey how did 90 passes to 35 rushes work out for the 07 and 11 SB teams? Hey, be real dude, be real...how did it work out?

Oh, oh...we must have just not executed that day. Dumb luck is what wins football games right coach?

How did 2.8 ypc and 3.6 ypc from the backs work out for the 07 and 11 SB teams?

THAT is exactly what bad execution is. Every football coach who ever lived knows you don't keep doing what is FAILING.

This is the complete nonsense. They run more in the Superbowl or some playoff game ... and it's not enough for PA to work. And they gripe and gripe. Then NE runs it less with a lower YPC in this game ... and TC has the nuts to ask me how PA passing is working???

It worked because they executed the play. OMFG.

The absolute saddest part  is that this has to do with one thing ... people who want something to "say" about a game that is critical that makes them feel like they "know better."

It's incredibly difficult to actually get in there and discuss the fundamentals of a play, how someone did something wrong, rather than just say ... well if we had run it 4-5 more times we would have won ... then crack a beer, then call it a night as a genius. 

It's reductive football talk that has little if anything to do with what ACTUALLY happens in a game. 

"McCourty wasn't a very good corner. HE has been a pretty durned good Safety"

called that needed change early last year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

So I'll add....

35 points. 

#2 defense. 

What happened?

C'mon... you are btter than this. Not sure about your pass run ratio. that looks off. Secondly, except for one, every scoring possession had a runs and PA integrated. Lastly, today, even though TB went on SG a lot, they almost always had Ridley lined up as HB. The stats you mention misses on a lot of details... not like you.

Here are the drives.

First Q1 possession: Run for 4, run for 14, run for 4, pass inc, pass inc penalty, pass inc penalty, run fumble recovered by hern, pass for TD

Second Q1 possession: Pass inc, run for 0, pass for 14, pass for 18, PA for 13, PA for TD

Q1 Summary = 9 pass (2 PA), 5 run

First Q2 Possession: Run for 4, run for -2, pass for 11, run for 2, pass for -2, pass inc (PI), fake run pass for 15, pass for 12, tb under c but tb recognizes 1-1 on hern so qiick pass for TD

Second Q2 possession: run for 3, pass for 5, pass inc, punt

Third Q2 possession: Pass inc, pass 4, pass for 10 but hern was penalized, pass inc, punt

Fourth Q2 possession: run for 1, pass for 6, pass inc, punt

Q2 summary = 9 pass, 5 run

First Q3 possession: run for 9, run for 4, pass inc, run for 2, pass inc, punt

Second Q3 possession: pass inc, PA for 11, pass inc, pass inc, pass TD

Third Q3 possession: pass inc, pass for 7, pass inc, sack, punt

Fourth Q3 possession: run for 2, pass inc penalty on hou, pass for 9, run for 4, PA for 14, run for 5, run for 0, tb runs for 6, end of Q,

Q3 Summary = Pass 15 (1 PA), 8 runs

First Q4 possession: fake handoff pass for 18, pass inc, screen pass fumble recovered for TD

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

mayo's been good all season. a couple of years ago that he should be making the tackles about 1-yards ealier. that was because he was baby-sitting people around him. he used to drop back really far to help the secondary, so he had to cover a bigger distance when the other side they fail to anticipate a run. not this year. he's been pretty prompt with his tackles.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

So I'll add....

35 points. 

#2 defense. 

What happened?

houston played man to man in the secondary happened.

brady did his magic

if you dont use the run, the pass can be stopped. 

07 proved that if anyone was watching. 

same as eaerlier losses this year.

Except tonight ... and numerous other games .... where they don't run ... and they pass well. 

Sorry man. No magic formula. 

If football were as simple as "run it 50% of the time and you win," everyone would run it 50% of the time ... and every game would end in a tie?

The Jets play man aggressive ... the Jets come at teams with exotic blitz packages. In fact, it's almost identical run/pass ratios through 3.5 quarters, almost identical game plans by the defense. Totally different results. 

The difference, for "anyone watching" was that Brady was sharp tonight, he was just decent in that Jets game, the defense was amazing tonight, they were abysmal in that Jets game. 

The difference, as it is the vast majority of the time in football, is execition. 

i'll give you execution is important, however im sorry z,

i can watch football like  a chess match, and i do. and i can see when a game plan, a sequence, or tendencies cause a less than optimum result. and i acknowledge that i value having the threat of a run and a pass on virtually every play and you do not. i can live with that. its a big world, filled with lots of different opinons.

peace man, and congrats to the pats and teh fans or at least the fans who support one another.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Yes!

How did 2.8 ypc and 3.6 ypc from the backs work out for the 07 and 11 SB teams?

THAT is exactly what bad execution is. Every football coach who ever lived knows you don't keep doing what is FAILING.

This is the complete nonsense. They run more in the Superbowl or some playoff game ... and it's not enough for PA to work. And they gripe and gripe. Then NE runs it less with a lower YPC in this game ... and TC has the nuts to ask me how PA passing is working???

It worked because they executed the play. OMFG.

The absolute saddest part  is that this has to do with one thing ... people who want something to "say" about a game that is critical that makes them feel like they "know better."

It's incredibly difficult to actually get in there and discuss the fundamentals of a play, how someone did something wrong, rather than just say ... well if we had run it 4-5 more times we would have won ... then crack a beer, then call it a night as a genius. 

It's reductive football talk that has little if anything to do with what ACTUALLY happens in a game. 

"McCourty wasn't a very good corner. HE has been a pretty durned good Safety"

called that needed change early last year

Ummm... so did I ... point? In fact, I've said the two biggest mistakes last post-season were bumping him back to corner and deactivating Ridley because he fumbled.

you ask point? 

point is some people can see football and others can hear it diagnosed for a year and still not understand, and due to emoional insecurity need to lash out when they dont understand or agree.

i said the sme things about ridely, including seeing his potential after first preseason game i saw.

many of the noisiest here attack, then later when something comes to fruiton are too weak inside to acknowledge. 

one of the thing i like about you here is you have a lot to add. we have one major difference ( see above), and we  have plenty shared  observations ove rthe time ive been on the board as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Agree ZB. Been waiting for the LB blitz pacakges for awhile. Can't wait to see what Hightower can do.....must of been about twenty passes defensed. Just a sound victory. D played great O played great......very close to peak time.

which is key...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Let's all relax and enjoy a really solid win by the Pats. Regardless of so-called critics out there, the Pats D IS improving each week and is peaking in time for the playoffs.

Go Pats!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It's all about executing the game plan! It's scary to think about how good this offense is and can be now with the success we've had running the ball this year. Defensive Coordinator now have to develop game plan with an eye on stopping the run which has opened up a portion of the play book we've not be able to take advantage of around here since clock killin Cory Dillion "pounded" defenses.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Patriots of 2012 are a scary bunch to defend..Make no mistake about it, the stats don't lie. Entering last nights game the Patriots we're among the leaders in rushing yards from scrimmage. A stat that we've not seen in these parts for some time.

Someone above said it best, "the threat of a good running game and having a back that can break the big one" is far more daunting to defend, than a team committed to running the ball. The old "three yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. Play action doesn't work if the opponent doesn't respect your ability to pile up chunks of yardage on a single play...Enter Ridley & Vareen (with a shout out to the O-line), both of these guys have shown the ability to make the tough yards between the tackles and if they have any daylight on the stretch play, they can break a big one. Which is why in last nights game on the TD to Llyod he was able to get behind the safety who bit on the play action.

If last night's game did anything it sent a message to every team remaining on our schedule and future playoff opponants...You'd better prepare your team to defend play action becasue we're likely to see it used more frequently from this point forward...a scary propostion when you factor in Welker and our tighends ability to attack linebackers and Llyods ability to stretch the field

Sections
Shortcuts