Mayo and Spikes in 4-3 Questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

Mayo and Spikes in 4-3 Questions

Ive read mayo is to be OLB now. What will his responsibilities be as a 4-3 outside linebacker? Do you think he will excell?
    Is Spikes really going to be in the middle? I was of the understanding that speed was of the utmost importance for the 4-3 mlb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Mayo and Spikes in 4-3 Questions

I think the reason Spikes would be in the middle and Mayo on the outside is that Mayo is much more mobile and he would be asked to cover tight ends and drop back in the passing game at that spot.  Spikes is not nearly fast enough to be consistent in coverage.  In the middle, Spikes could take advantage of his downhill, physical game to butt heads with interior offensive lineman and stop the run.  

I think Mayo would excel in both spots, while Spikes would only be successful in the middle.  I could be off here, but that's my understanding of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

From my understanding is that Mayo will play SLB. Which is the most important part of the 4-3 defense. He has to man his side and take on blocks but also be athletic enough to cover and many time called apon to attack the QB.You wont see as many tackles for Mayo like he did last year but that doesn't mean he won't have the same big impact in games.

Please stop listening to people saying Spikes is to slow. He was a dominant 4-3 MLB in the fastest conference in college. ESPN had a special yesterday and Charlie Wies was saying that there is more speed in the SEC than anywhere else. His main responsibility is to man the middle, which Spikes will excel with because of his size and ability to read plays so fast. If Spikes can make the rookie to second year player jump like he supposed to, he could really be a stud in the middle(especially with Wilfork and Haynesworth in front of him).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes in 4-3 Questions:
    [QUOTE]From my understanding is that Mayo will play SLB. Which is the most important part of the 4-3 defense. He has to man his side and take on blocks but also be athletic enough to cover and many time called apon to attack the QB.You wont see as many tackles for Mayo like he did last year but that doesn't mean he won't have the same big impact in games. Please stop listening to people saying Spikes is to slow. He was a dominant 4-3 MLB in the fastest conference in college. ESPN had a special yesterday and Charlie Wies was saying that there is more speed in the SEC than anywhere else. His main responsibility is to man the middle, which Spikes will excel with because of his size and ability to read plays so fast. If Spikes can make the rookie to second year player jump like he supposed to, he could really be a stud in the middle(especially with Wilfork and Haynesworth in front of him).
    Posted by maine12[/QUOTE]

Spikes speed would too be a problem in the middle of a 43 defense in the nfl, if he is not protected or hidden/removed in situations. He had the same problems in college when asked to cover a lot of ground..which 43 middle backers generally are asked. The guy ran a 4.9 at the combine, you telling me that wouldn't get exposed? There's a 43 linebacker in camp making some noise that I'm very interested in seeing (Iowa undrafted free agent, can't remember his name). The guy ran 4.49 at his pro day, was coached by Ferentz and if it wasn't for all the injuries would have been drafted high. Not saying he will take over the middle and put Spikes on the bench, but he may play some and get Spikes out of coverage situations.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Apparently, even though 99% of all players played a 4-3 in HS and College, and at least part time in the Pro's the Patriots players will become dumbfounded by the 4-3 and otherwise good or great players will become completely useless because using what would otherwise be a poor coverage LB'er who would rush the passer most of the time will now be a poor coverage LB'er called a DE to rush the passer most of the time.  

This will cause a chain of events so mind blowing and confusing that players will be running about aimlessly and bouncing into one another, cats will sleep with dogs, and all hell will break loose.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes in 4-3 Questions : College 4-3 is slower than pro 4-3.  Wouldn't you agree?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

No I actually wouldn't agree at all. In the SEC many of the teams ran the spread offense, which makes you read and react at a fast pace. Also many QBs in the SEC are a double threats be able to run and throw, which made Spikes account for the QB even while dropping in coverage. So no I wouldn't completely agree.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes in 4-3 Questions : Spikes speed would too be a problem in the middle of a 43 defense in the nfl, if he is not protected or hidden/removed in situations. He had the same problems in college when asked to cover a lot of ground..which 43 middle backers generally are asked. The guy ran a 4.9 at the combine, you telling me that wouldn't get exposed? There's a 43 linebacker in camp making some noise that I'm very interested in seeing (Iowa undrafted free agent, can't remember his name). The guy ran 4.49 at his pro day, was coached by Ferentz and if it wasn't for all the injuries would have been drafted high. Not saying he will take over the middle and put Spikes on the bench, but he may play some and get Spikes out of coverage situations.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you just go by combine speeds you should be a Raiders fan!!! I mean Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40 during the combine, the combine means absolutely nothing. Plus I guarantee that some undrafted player is not coming in playing the middle. If anything they will use Fletcher or move Mayo over. I don't remember Spikes ever having problems covering ground in the college. Maybe because he struggled they rewarded him with two first team All-American and a 3 time All-SEC. He must have been terrible huh? If he would have never took part of the combine he would have been a mid first round pick. The only thing we have to worry about him is staying out of trouble, if BB is putting him in the middle he must be doing something right. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]You think the speed of the college game is equivalent to that of the NFL? Because that is what I am reading from you.

Kinda, haha I think that the speed in the SEC is as fast but in NFL as a game is faster. So my theory is that he can keep up with the speed in the SEC he should be able to translate that to the game speed of the NFL.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bjn. Show bjn's posts

I
    n Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes in 4-3 Questions:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes in 4-3 Questions : Spikes speed would too be a problem in the middle of a 43 defense in the nfl, if he is not protected or hidden/removed in situations. He had the same problems in college when asked to cover a lot of ground..which 43 middle backers generally are asked. The guy ran a 4.9 at the combine, you telling me that wouldn't get exposed? There's a 43 linebacker in camp making some noise that I'm very interested in seeing (Iowa undrafted free agent, can't remember his name). The guy ran 4.49 at his pro day, was coached by Ferentz and if it wasn't for all the injuries would have been drafted high. Not saying he will take over the middle and put Spikes on the bench, but he may play some and get Spikes out of coverage situations.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Tarpinian, Jeff

LB - #48b Tarpinian, Jeff

no player image available
    Position:
    LB
    Height:
    6-3
    Weight:
    College:
    Iowa
    Hometown:
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Experience:
    R

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]Well, we disagree. No biggie I just don't see him as a 4-3 MLB in the NFL. It's like saying Ted Johnson could have played 4-3 MLB. If I saw Ted Johnson at 4-3 MLB, I would call a pass play on every down with drags and slants across the middle.

Yeah we will learn in a couple months if he can or if he can't.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Spikes in the middle is an interesting question. I would have completely dismissed it, if not for the fact that he has been seen lining up in the middle during camp. If he is too slow or terrible at playing the middle, why is BB investing any time in Spikes in the middle at all?

While I don't think the SEC is as fast as the NFL game, I do think a successful 4-3 MLB in the SEC, one who has numerous accolades, should be able to perform quite well in the NFL. I think Spikes's ability to read and anticipate makes up some for this slow straight line speed. I got to think BB knows what he is doing by putting Spikes in the middle.

On the Tarpinian kid...I don't think he makes the team. he's a nice player, good ST player, but he seems awfully small to play LB in any scheme, unless they turn him into that safety hybrid role given his speed, quickness. The roster looks crowded as it is, I just don't see Tarpinian making it. Maybe on IR or PS?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes in 4-3 Questions : Maybe if you just go by combine speeds you should be a Raiders fan!!! I mean Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40 during the combine, the combine means absolutely nothing. Plus I guarantee that some undrafted player is not coming in playing the middle. If anything they will use Fletcher or move Mayo over. I don't remember Spikes ever having problems covering ground in the college. Maybe because he struggled they rewarded him with two first team All-American and a 3 time All-SEC. He must have been terrible huh? If he would have never took part of the combine he would have been a mid first round pick. The only thing we have to worry about him is staying out of trouble, if BB is putting him in the middle he must be doing something right. 
    Posted by maine12[/QUOTE]

If you don't remember him having problems covering ground here is a video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5voTSl9uEI
    He's number 51, he's the guy that looks awesome going forward 3 to 5 yards. He's also the guy that looks horrendous covering players that are now working at Burger King...horrendous might be a little too nice, more like down right embarrassing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Zach Thomas ran a 4.8. He was slower than that in pads. And he was too small. Go figure, he was an amazing inside linebacker. A hall of famer even.

40 hyard times mean nothing compared to the ability to read what is going on in real time, and the instincts to react.

That said, I don't know that BB leaves him in there if NE runs three LBer sets, but I think he could do it. At any rate, he is better suited to stay on the field than anyone else sitting on the bench not name Mayo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Zach Thomas ran a 4.8. He was slower than that in pads. And he was too small. Go figure, he was an amazing inside linebacker. A hall of famer even. 40 hyard times mean nothing compared to the ability to read what is going on in real time, and the instincts to react. That said, I don't know that BB leaves him in there if NE runs three LBer sets, but I think he could do it. At any rate, he is better suited to stay on the field than anyone else sitting on the bench not name Mayo.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

To a point I agree, although I think that you'd find that most linebackers that ran a 4.8 plus ended up working at homedepot (nothing wrong with that, but it's not the nfl). I think Spikes is very good going forward and maybe he'll improve going backwards, but to think that he'd be out there in the middle of a 43 in this league, with these players and coordinators... scares me. Is there players that have improved in coverage that were on the slow side? Rodney Harrison comes to mind - that was supposed to be his weakness and he improved greatly at it here. Hey maybe I'm wrong, I didn't think this guy would be able to play in any scheme based off his speed and he looked good last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Is Brian Urlacher fast?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Is Brian Urlacher fast?
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

good point

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Is Brian Urlacher fast?
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Is this a real question. Urlacher was fast enough to play safety when he came out...hell some teams where thinking of trying him at corner. He ran like a 4.4 and had a 38inch vertical, he was the Randy Moss of linebackers...freak.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

he's slow now though, isnt he?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

Spikes would be fine in the middle.  If you want speed, go get Gholston or Crable.  Yes, Spikes doesn't have 40 speed but he has great read and reaction which allow him to play faster than LBs who would beat him in a footrace.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

For the record, Ted Johnson played in a 4-3 defense from the time he was drafted by the Pats in 95-96 (?) until Belichick installed the 3-4 around 2001.  He was stalwart in the middle and a 3 down player until all those injuries began to derail him in the late 90s, early 2000s.  Come on guys, remember your team history a little better before the Belichick era.
    As for Spikes, he is better suited for MLB in a 4-3.  This allows him to be a downhill, ball hammer.  Mayo has so much range, and is physically gifted, he would be almost like Chris Slade, perhaps not as freakish as a Vincent Brown.  Plus, if they keep them, plus Fletcher, Guyton, Nink and some of the OLB/DEs they have already, the WLB should be covered.  Rotation is key here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

For the record, Teddy Bruschi played in a 4-3 defense from the time he was drafted by the Pats in 95-96 (?) until Belichick installed the 3-4 around 2001.  He was stalwart in the middle and a 3 down player until all those injuries began to derail him in the late 90s, early 2000s.  Come on guys, remember your team history a little better before the Bolshevik era.
    As for Spikes, he is better suited for MLB in a 4-3.  This allows him to be a downhill, ball hammer.  Miracle Whip has so much range, and is physically gifted, he would be almost like Chris Slade, perhaps not as freakish as a Vinnie Barbarino.  Plus, if they keep them, plus Fletcher, Guyton, Nink and some of the OLB/DEs they have already, the WLB should be covered.  Rotation is key 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]For the record, Ted Johnson played in a 4-3 defense from the time he was drafted by the Pats in 95-96 (?) until Belichick installed the 3-4 around 2001.  He was stalwart in the middle and a 3 down player until all those injuries began to derail him in the late 90s, early 2000s.  Come on guys, remember your team history a little better before the Belichick era. As for Spikes, he is better suited for MLB in a 4-3.  This allows him to be a downhill, ball hammer.  Mayo has so much range, and is physically gifted, he would be almost like Chris Slade, perhaps not as freakish as a Vincent Brown.  Plus, if they keep them, plus Fletcher, Guyton, Nink and some of the OLB/DEs they have already, the WLB should be covered.  Rotation is key here.
    Posted by ArmyPatsFan[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the history lesson. I forgot TJ played MLB before BB arrived.

I don't see how Spikes playing MLB is a stretch at all. He played it in Florida, racked up numerous accolades, plays instinctive, etc. I for one want to see him in this role. Mayo on the outside would be interesting and I think he would excel there. Put Guyton/Fletcher beside them, and i think we have a pretty decent LB corp in the 4-3.
    Beyond those 4 however, I don't see a lot of depth for LB in that formation. That worries me a bit if it's used heavily. If we start Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, rotate Fletcher in, who else is in the mix? Again, I don't think the Tarpinian kid makes it, and not sure if BB woudl use Barret/Lockett in the WOLB role here. I don't think Moore, Anderson, Carter nor Cunningham are in this discussion either. Who's left to add to the rotation?

Sections
Shortcuts