Mayo and Spikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Mayo and Spikes

These two kids remind me of Tedy and Ted.  And Devin has me thinking he has the potential to be as good as Ty Law and maybe almost as good as Mike Haynes.  The Bryan Cox hit heard around the world was delivered again this past week end and I am OK with three more big blue championship banners hanging in Gillette.  Sorry - one game at a time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwPATRIOTSww. Show wwPATRIOTSww's posts

Re: Mayo and Spikes

These two are really fun to watch on Sundays, both all over the field, and never giving up on a play. I like the intensity spikes plays with, and mayo could run down and tackle a cheetah!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Mayo gets the tackles, but Spikes is the better player. Stats (like tackles and sacks) are deceptive. Spikes is the main reason why the run D has improved. He's a legitimate DROY candidate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes:
    [QUOTE]Mayo gets the tackles, but Spikes is the better player. Stats (like tackles and sacks) are deceptive. Spikes is the main reason why the run D has improved. He's a legitimate DROY candidate.
    Posted by CubanPete[/QUOTE]
    I would really be interested to watch the coach's film you've obviously been watching. Let me know where you get it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Mayo gets the tackles, but Spikes is the better player. Stats (like tackles and sacks) are deceptive. Spikes is the main reason why the run D has improved. He's a legitimate DROY candidate.

Wow this is the second post I have seen from you that is ridiculous.. now you could argue my RB post, but this post is just unintelligent.  Not one single writer has said anything to this context.... I would argue however, that Mayo is helping Spikes come a long.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Has anyone notice how much Guyton has been sucking this year.  Dudes a total liability on the field.  Consistently getting torched.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

At the beginning of the year I thought that Mayo was playing like a third round pick; he seamed slow to react to things and was getting burnt in coverage. Now every time I look at the stat sheet he has 10 to 15 tackles after the game, what a turn around. Apparently I was completely wrong about him, but even when he was playing poorly in my opinion, I still couldn't believe how explosive he looked.

I was wrong about Spikes too. I didn't think he was fast or athletic enough to play well in the NFL and would get exposed. Belichick has done a nice job using his strengths and hiding his weaknesses.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Our run D and how good it has been recently is because these two have done a very solid job. I can't wait to see how spikes improves from year one to two. He has looked great this year yet he is only a rook.

Mayo has been spectacular, I don't see him getting beat and he always makes the tackle.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Both are very good. Mayo is a better overall player.

Ironically, teams seem to do more to scheme around Spikes. He is more one-dimensional, but that dimension is terrific.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

[QUOTE]Has anyone notice how much Guyton has been sucking this year.  Dudes a total liability on the field.  Consistently getting torched.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Dane Fletcher needs to be put in over him ASAP and it seems to be happening. 

Also Brandon Spikes would love to be Jerod Mayo. Are you kidding me? Jerod Mayo is one of the four players why this D is doing so well right now (McCourty, Wilfork, Chung are the other 3). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes : Wow this is the second post I have seen from you that is ridiculous.. now you could argue my RB post, but this post is just unintelligent.  Not one single writer has said anything to this context.... I would argue however, that Mayo is helping Spikes come a long.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

You're making a fool of yourself. Off the top of my head:

"There’s a rookie of the year candidate emerging that nobody is talking about. But if you watch ILB Brandon Spikes (+4.5) knife through the line and make play after play in the Pats base package you’ll understand why. It wasn’t just the six tackles (three of which were defensive stops) but it was Spikes’ continual ability to blow up plays and prevent the Vikings running where they wanted to. Jerod Mayo is piling up the tackles, but it’s Spikes who is making the bigger impact."

--Profootballfocus.com

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I think it is the combo of the two of them in the middle.  Yes they were a little slow to start the season but they had to get used to playing together.  Mayo has the speed whereas spikes has the hard hitting ability to make runners pay for going up the middle.  They both have excellent vision/reaction. They seem to compliment each other quite well.  I think having fletcher and Guyton is a great luxury and it allows us to rest spikes/mayo without a huge drop off, it also gives us the ability to substitute spikes with fletcher for passing downs.  Our LB corps is starting to be at the same level of the SB years with bruschi, vrabel, mcginist, seau, colvin, TBC, etc.  If we can just pick up another stud OLB to put opposite of cunningham we will be in great shape.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Got to love both , but if I were taking one w/ me to another team , I'd bring Spikes. Ive been watching this kid for the last two years in college and think he'll be starting for us for the next 10 years ... w/ many pro-bowls(even the dont mean chit anymore) ... Right now Mayo might be the better overall player , tough to argue that. I want Spikes on the field when it counts , this kid just makes plays on/off the ball. BTW if you want to watch any of the all 22 / coaches tape , two of the best shows on TV are Playbook and NFL Matchup , both review the coaches tape , while going over the game. Great shows!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I was down on the Spikes pick until I saw the guy play in the preseason. I still think he'd look like an idiot if forced into coverage, but BB had that cover with Guyton (Flecther seems to be the better player though) and I had to flagellate myself for doubting the Hood. 

I said this earlier on in the year during the preseason after Sam Bradford drilled us a new bunhole and everyone was writing off the defense. If BB can't make this defense work no one in the NFL can, we have the greatest defensive mind in NFL history. He's coached 5 NFL SB winning defenses (I think that's a record). Every Sunday I'm more worried about our offense over our defense. The defense has Coach to coach them when the don't get things done, the offense has O'brien. -_-.... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Can't think of it as "better player or worse player," NOT in the 3-4 scheme that is cuban.  Each of the 2 ILBs entirely needs the other one to come through and do their job, in order for the other 1 to do their's.  During Draft and pre-draft, I LOVED Spikes as an utterly perfect fit for NE's Strong Inside Linebacker spot to couple with Jerod Mayo, AND I expressed these sentiments...  Overall, I was often surprised by the negative responses RE: Brandon Spikes' slow 40 time on a track field.  It showed me, how very few people BOTH knew about his adequate pass-coverage abilities as a collegiate, Spikes' amazing instincts to sniff out a play's direction...And HERE (RE: The Spikes/Mayo tandem), His ideal fit to couple as a SILB with Jerod Mayo on the WILB spot...

ANYone and EVERYone watching the 2009 NE Season, and as early as that NE/Atlanta Game in September, should have seen this 1 thing: Gary Guyton was NOT the answer as the SILB.  And it really ISN'T knocking Gary Guyton at all, because schematic-wise, It was a p#ss-poor fit with Guyton @ Strongside ILB.  Guyton IS something like almost 6'3 (same as Spikes), but Guyton doesn't have nearly the musculature and idk-overall heft as Spikes, let alone, Guyton's game is speed Far, Far More than "smash-mouth."  This ended up, not only crippling Guyton, but Mayo as well.

The 3-4 D, by it's very nature, has 1 less D-Lineman...  This means, that those now 2 ILBs, WILL see more of those interior offensive lineman coming their way, putting a body, an arm, and even a hand on them-Far more than that 1 ILB in a 4-3 Defense.  Likewise, you're losing that added big-body D-Lineman in a 3-4 Defense, as oppossed to a 4-3 Defense...In run-support, One NEEDS to at least attempt to make up for that weight differential of a D-Lineman compared to merely just adding a standard (& small) 6'1 230lb Weakside ILB next to Mayo...  In otherwords-2 mayos Will NOT work...2 Spikes Will NOT work, and even 1 Mayo and perhaps a 1/4 Brandon Spikes but 3/4 another Jerod Mayo, in Gary Guyton-WILL NOT work...and it didn't work.

Ya need in your 3-4 Defense, an instinctual play-sniffing brute that actually enjoys clogging those added spaces/O-Line gaps within that 3-4 defense, and actually Enjoys and even CAN, go head to head when seeing far more big bodied O-Lineman thrown towards that ILB spot(s).  IF he's got the size, the heart, the smarts, the instincts, AND the added ferocity, It Massively trumps anything other than an utter & incompetant deficiency in his pass-coverage skills...  Goin' head to head, and being the first to wreak havoc on that Hole, O-Lineman (and even ball-carrier)-WILL be that disrupting force with Brandon Spikes as the SILB, in order, and so-That Jerod Mayo can do what HE does great-Mayo is a pure, 100% correct & perfect form, tackling machine.  IF ya wanna look at it that way, fine?=Spikes @ strongside is that smasher, mauler and hitter that Instinctual sees the main threat area and jumps straight at it-thus wearing out/and/or slows down that initial far greater imposing force, and Mayo is that assassin @ weakside that comes through surgically (and now, CAN come through surgically), with that open unhindered look & perfect angle, and just like a surgeon's hand @ angling & form tackling-Mayo finishes the perfect procedure...

~Ya know-Brandon Spikes & Jerod Mayo-Surgery Incorporated. 
    Spikes wields a sledge hammer staright at your chestbone and bashes you open, then Mayo comes in and cleanly knifes out your heart... 1 in tandem with the other:  Many times Spikes doesn't have the precision in order to cleanly take out your heart, and many times Mayo's instruments just can't get to that heart, through the chestbone...  But Together=Well, ya got'cha yourself a nice clean corpse. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I like watching these guys play and hope they continue to improve. This should settle the middle this year and for the futrue, where the past few years things have not been perfect.

Both guys are physical, talented and smart!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm in the camp that views that it is the two together that are making each other better.  I do believe that Mayo is making more plays because of Spikes presence.  I also believe that Spikes is coming along as well as he is because of being teamed with Mayo.  They are both tremendous football players and each brings his own skillset to the table.  Spikes brings the wood; Mayo is the whole package.

My 2 cents.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]I'm in the camp that views that it is the two together that are making each other better.  I do believe that Mayo is making more plays because of Spikes presence.  I also believe that Spikes is coming along as well as he is because of being teamed with Mayo.  They are both tremendous football players and each brings his own skillset to the table.  Spikes brings the wood; Mayo is the whole package. My 2 cents.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

I love these two kids in tandem and with Vincent in front of them, it doesn't get much better.  In fairness to Brandon, he is a rookie but the expectations are nice.  Also, next year when we get Leigh Boden and Ty Warren back, this entire Defense will be as good as any on this planet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

I think Cunnigham is going to be more of a play maker than Spikes he seems to be around the quarterback all the time...best LB group in the NFL by next season

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes : Can't think of it as "better player or worse player," NOT in the 3-4 scheme that is cuban.  Each of the 2 ILBs entirely needs the other one to come through and do their job, in order for the other 1 to do their's.  During Draft and pre-draft, I LOVED Spikes as an utterly perfect fit for NE's Strong Inside Linebacker spot to couple with Jerod Mayo, AND I expressed these sentiments...  Overall, I was often surprised by the negative responses RE: Brandon Spikes' slow 40 time on a track field.  It showed me, how very few people BOTH knew about his adequate pass-coverage abilities as a collegiate, Spikes' amazing instincts to sniff out a play's direction...And HERE (RE: The Spikes/Mayo tandem), His ideal fit to couple as a SILB with Jerod Mayo on the WILB spot... ANYone and EVERYone watching the 2009 NE Season, and as early as that NE/Atlanta Game in September, should have seen this 1 thing: Gary Guyton was NOT the answer as the SILB.  And it really ISN'T knocking Gary Guyton at all, because schematic-wise, It was a p#ss-poor fit with Guyton @ Strongside ILB.  Guyton IS something like almost 6'3 (same as Spikes), but Guyton doesn't have nearly the musculature and idk-overall heft as Spikes, let alone, Guyton's game is speed Far, Far More than "smash-mouth."  This ended up, not only crippling Guyton, but Mayo as well. The 3-4 D, by it's very nature, has 1 less D-Lineman...  This means, that those now 2 ILBs, WILL see more of those interior offensive lineman coming their way, putting a body, an arm, and even a hand on them-Far more than that 1 ILB in a 4-3 Defense.  Likewise, you're losing that added big-body D-Lineman in a 3-4 Defense, as oppossed to a 4-3 Defense...In run-support, One NEEDS to at least attempt to make up for that weight differential of a D-Lineman compared to merely just adding a standard (& small) 6'1 230lb Weakside ILB next to Mayo...  In otherwords-2 mayos Will NOT work...2 Spikes Will NOT work, and even 1 Mayo and perhaps a 1/4 Brandon Spikes but 3/4 another Jerod Mayo, in Gary Guyton-WILL NOT work...and it didn't work. Ya need in your 3-4 Defense, an instinctual play-sniffing brute that actually enjoys clogging those added spaces/O-Line gaps within that 3-4 defense, and actually Enjoys and even CAN, go head to head when seeing far more big bodied O-Lineman thrown towards that ILB spot(s).  IF he's got the size, the heart, the smarts, the instincts, AND the added ferocity, It Massively trumps anything other than an utter & incompetant deficiency in his pass-coverage skills...  Goin' head to head, and being the first to wreak havoc on that Hole, O-Lineman (and even ball-carrier)-WILL be that disrupting force with Brandon Spikes as the SILB, in order, and so-That Jerod Mayo can do what HE does great-Mayo is a pure, 100% correct & perfect form, tackling machine.  IF ya wanna look at it that way, fine?=Spikes @ strongside is that smasher, mauler and hitter that Instinctual sees the main threat area and jumps straight at it-thus wearing out/and/or slows down that initial far greater imposing force, and Mayo is that assassin @ weakside that comes through surgically (and now, CAN come through surgically), with that open unhindered look & perfect angle, and just like a surgeon's hand @ angling & form tackling-Mayo finishes the perfect procedure... ~ Ya know-Brandon Spikes & Jerod Mayo-Surgery Incorporated.  Spikes wields a sledge hammer staright at your chestbone and bashes you open, then Mayo comes in and cleanly knifes out your heart... 1 in tandem with the other:  Many times Spikes doesn't have the precision in order to cleanly take out your heart, and many times Mayo's instruments just can't get to that heart, through the chestbone...  But Together=Well, ya got'cha yourself a nice clean corpse. 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Gr8 post and an enjoyable read. I thought it was a crime novel at one stage, LOL.

Seriously though, it is posts like this that makes this forum invaluable because even though I love the game I must admit that I can get a little lost with the X's + O's.

It is the informative nature of the forum that is a nugget in adition to all the rest.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes : Gr8 post and an enjoyable read. I thought it was a crime novel at one stage, LOL. Seriously though, it is posts like this that makes this forum invaluable because even though I love the game I must admit that I can get a little lost with the X's + O's. It is the informative nature of the forum that is a nugget in adition to all the rest.
    Posted by irishfanatic[/QUOTE]

Just saw this...thanx a ton Irish (you too, auchhh), the compliment(s) is very much appreciated from over here.  Btw, ya feel the need to tackle an even bigger thesis? Hit up my thread entitled something like "5 minute NFL.com read worth every moment of your time," on page #2...I go into depth (although this word ain't big enough)-RE: Bill Belichick Going back to the fundamental cores of what worked during NE's Championship Years: Versatility & Selflessness, schematically & personell-wise, and exactly how the 2 work together in BB's Philosophy...  Long, but a good premise imo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Mayo has taken the Bruschi role very well, considering how great Bruschi was in that lead role.

I'd say Mayo and Spikes could be a legit top notch duo for years to come.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]Mayo has taken the Bruschi role very well, considering how great Bruschi was in that lead role. I'd say Mayo and Spikes could be a legit top notch duo for years to come.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo and Spikes : Just saw this...thanx a ton Irish (you too, auchhh), the compliment(s) is very much appreciated from over here.  Btw, ya feel the need to tackle an even bigger thesis? Hit up my thread entitled something like " 5 minute NFL.com read worth every moment of your time ," on page #2...I go into depth (although this word ain't big enough)-RE: Bill Belichick Going back to the fundamental cores of what worked during NE's Championship Years: Versatility & Selflessness, schematically & personell-wise, and exactly how the 2 work together in BB's Philosophy...  Long, but a good premise imo.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Thanx Laz. What amazes me this year is how quickly the rookies on D are progressing considering the intricacies of BB schemes. Of course BB has rep for targeting players with the "smarts" as well as the athletic ability.