Mayo is just not that good.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Mayo is just not that good.

Had a good rookie season and has been background material since.  I expect a lot more from a 10th overall pick at this point in their career.  I'm not happy with his game or should I say lack of game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Mayo is just not that good.

he's #2 in tackles.

Is it the scheme/system that constrains him fom making impact plays?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

I agree. He makes a lot of tackles but he is just not the game changing playmaker Pats need  as leader on the D. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Mayo has always been a solid tackler, but for a #10 pick, I would like to see more big plays from him.  He started to do that towards the end of last year, but those explosive plays has disappeared again.  I think last year, there was some low draft pick LB down in TN or JAX that in his first five games, he had the same number INT, forced fumbles, and recoveries as Mayo had in his first four years in the league.

Again, Mayo is solid but not that much better...ie,overrated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

i get what everyone is saying, but is it the player or the scheme? Goes with a vanilla defense - you get a vanilla MLB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

he's #2 in tackles.

[/QUOTE]

LB's should lead in tackles so that doesn't impress me, it's the fact he can't cover, hits the wrong hole and seems to whiff a lot that irks me.  I expect Urlacher or Lewis level of play from the guy not the invisible man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't know. I think he is a very good ILB. He is a tackling machine. He is a great communicator. Sorry, I disagree with folks, I think he is good in coverage. Not amazing, but he matches up well with his assignments most of the time. 

It's tough to "make plays" when you are babysitting the terrible players behind you. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Haven't players,  like Seymour, say something to the effect that certain player's individual stats be much better if they played for a different team in a different defensive system?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Pats need a game changer at Linebacker. Mathews would have been good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

he's #2 in tackles.

[/QUOTE]

LB's should lead in tackles so that doesn't impress me, it's the fact he can't cover, hits the wrong hole and seems to whiff a lot that irks me.  I expect Urlacher or Lewis level of play from the guy not the invisible man.

[/QUOTE]

is he being constrained by the scheme? Maybe if BB, Patricia, or Peppers were more aggressive we would see him make impact plays - but like ZB indicated....look at the supporting cast he works with.  My guess is that if we have another Jones playing the opposite side and had 2 defensive backs that could reliably cover, AND had aggressive defensive play calling - Mayo might be up to the task.

The bottom line is that we'll never know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Haven't players,  like Seymour, say something to the effect that certain player's individual stats be much better if they played for a different team in a different defensive system?

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Seymour making excuses.  I know you asked about scheme Bubba but what does scheme have to do with always being 5 yards behind the guy your covering.  If we redraft 2008 no way he goes in the 1st round.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Seymour making excuses.  I know you asked about scheme Bubba but what does scheme have to do with always being 5 yards behind the guy your covering.  If we redraft 2008 no way he goes in the 1st round.

[/QUOTE]

Because, noone, not even an Urlacher or Lewis, cannot be a one man wrecking crew. Those two player players are indeed HOF players - and their DCs/coaches give them a lot of leeway to make plays.

BB plays vanilla.  Stay in this spot because the averages say that when you do - you contain x percent of the play.

Is he out of position because he doesn't have the talent - or is he out of position because he's also trying to cover someone else's responsibilities. This is sort of the same vein for McCourty. Is McCourty really as bad as fans think, or is it because they're taking more than the lions share of responsibility...?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

would you rather have Gholston?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to harleyroadking12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

would rather have Gholston?

[/QUOTE]

lol....no.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think instinctively in coverage he is not there and never will be there. He makes a lot of tackles, but none of them are at or behind the line of scrimmage. I think he is explosive and fast - he is strong and has decent size - I just think he is overrated as a player. This is not a guy you build your defense around - he is NOT a special player. I wouldn't call him average, but he isn't a lot better than that either. I know people will say...you can't expect him to be Urlacher or Ray Lewis...why not? He was drafted higher than one of them and 10th overall picks in the draft are supposed to be impact players. He's not an impact player.

I know everyone loves him, but I honestly don't know why. People talk about Mankins being overrated...Jerod Mayo may be the most overrated player on this team.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Willis

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At least Mayo doesn't call Kraft a liar, hold out, play poorly against the elite competition and then get injured all the time.

What a ridiculous thread. Any LB near the top in tackles is at least a good player.  He's had another very good year. I don't know what you want. Then again, any time anyone on the D isn't a future HOFer, he "sucks" or is "overrated".

[/QUOTE]

but is he an impact player like urlacher, lewes, or willis?  I mean I get what some folks are saying. He is always 1 step too slow the few times they let him blitz....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

At least Mayo doesn't call Kraft a liar, hold out, play poorly against the elite competition and then get injured all the time.

What a ridiculous thread. Any LB near the top in tackles is at least a good player.  He's had another very good year. I don't know what you want. Then again, any time anyone on the D isn't a future HOFer, he "sucks" or is "overrated".

[/QUOTE]

Not a ridiculous thread at all. You mean to tell me this guy is good in coverage? Do you think he is a difference maker? A guy that changes games? I mean he's out there all the time, he plays in the middle of everything, yet he very rarely impacts these games. And he does get hurt...every year actually...it's a knee, it's the ankle, it's that shoulder. What the hell are you talking about?

He's got talent - lots, but something is seriously missing from this guy. Obviously because he plays on this "yound and exciting defense" you will give him a hall pass. What else is new? I bet  there are 30 linebackers in this league that would do twice as well as him if they had his ability...Spikes is one of them.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Crusty Sock chimes in.  That Brady really sucks doesn't he crusty?  Nowhere do I say Mayo sucks but why would you not misquote people, it's your shtick along with the Brady bashing.  He's not that good and certainly not worthy of a #10 pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

How many LBs in this league are "good in coverage"?  Spikes isn't good in coverage, but he's not bad. So, an LB not great in coverage somehow makes them not valuable to a D?

Tedy Bruschi would be AWFUL in coverage if he was playing today. Fact.

Your comments prove what I've always said about you: If the player on D isn't a future HOFer, he's overrated or he sucks.

Your barometer is pathetic considering the Ds have it worse than any our SB era Ds. If you want to bag on "coverage" look no further than an inconsistent pass rush combined with egregious holding by O Lines in this league.

No LB is "good in coverage".  Vet Ds can cover up their slower LBs, but that's about it.  

[/QUOTE]

Dude, I'm not going to list good coverage linebackers tonight, but when you run a 4.5 like Mayo, you should be able to cover. God I can remember Seau dropping back into coverage at 40! He at least got good depth, remembered to move his feet and keep a good space in a zone. Bruschi could do this too. Mayo's instincts look off to me...it's just my opinion. You give Spikes his speed and he's one of the better covergae guys in the NFL, because he has instinct.

Tell me what makes Mayo so good in your eyes. To me he can fill a hole. He can shed a block. He can run. He's got power. The bad is that he's never making plays along (or behind) the line of scrimmage and he can't cover. As a pass rusher he doesn't give you much...there's a reason why they don't bring him on blitzes often.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

I think someone answered you above. If BB is playing a vanilla Cover 2 most of the time, how is it Mayo's fault that he's not being used behind the line of scrimmage, etc? Ask BB.

I would say the fact BB trusts Mayo so much to call the plays and the lead the D down the middle, that it's good enough for me.

He's around the ball plenty, is a good run defender and is currently on his 3rd defense where it leads  the league (top of the league) in takeaways. You act like he doesn't do anything or is never in position.

It's just another example of you needing to see all world, future HOF players on D to feel secure in liking any player on D.

It's just pathetic, really. Let me ask you this: If Brasy didn't melt down in the SB last year, would you like Mayo more with a ring on his finger?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe they are just using him wrong? I don't know? He's got talent and then all I see is him 20 yards away in coverage losing his guy. Why do you waste him out there? I mean it's not like it helps things - we can't possibly be worse in coverage.

And I do like plenty of guys that aren't pro bowlers or hall of famers. I liked Vrabel, Phifer was great. Cox was Spikes. There has to be at least 10 defensive linemen over the last 10 years that will never come close to the hall of fame that I liked. I just don't like players that aren't good - this defense has many of them. I wouldn't put Mayo in the "not good" catergory, I just think he is not a difference maker.