Mayo is just not that good.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Mayo is just not that good.

Mayo is not anywhere close to the problem with this defense. If anything he is one of the best players... He does not make big flashy plays and he does talk not stop like a Ray Lewis, but he is good and consistent.

The problems with the defense starts and ends with the defensive backs. I am not sure that any defense back on this team could start anywhere else in the NFL...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to harleyroadking12's comment:

would rather have Gholston?

Lol, right! Who did the Pats draft instead of Mathews? I remember several mock drafts had them taking him, and he was still there when their pick came up but they passed. Who did they draft instead? I suppose I could look up who their first pick was that year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Lol, right! Who did the Pats draft instead of Mathews? I remember several mock drafts had them taking him, and he was still there when their pick came up but they passed. Who did they draft instead? I suppose I could look up who their first pick was that year.

Pats gave up #23 to Balt. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I gotta say...i agree with mthurl on his thoughts about Mayo.  I think he hit the nail right on the head here.  Mayo SHOULD make more of an impact. 

I do agree with Rusty regarding Mayo's good team demeanor...versus that of Mankins.  I also agree that Mayo is a good player.  But mthurl has the right way on this discussion...he's not good in coverage, he doesn't make enough impact plays, he doesn't tackle AT or BEHIND the line of scrimmage. 

Fantastic...he can make 10-15 tackles a game...10 to 15 yards downfield after the fact.  He's a good, solid, football player and great teammate out there.  He's obviously intelligent enough to be the QB of the defense out there.

That said, for a 10th pick in the first round...he should be more than just a good player and teammate.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:

Pats need a game changer at Linebacker. Mathews would have been good.

Matthews plays an entirely different position dude. 

Apples meet oranges. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

According to most of you, none of the Pats are that good, yet they keep winning! BB can't pick talent, yet they keep winning! Therefore I must assume your fantasy teams didn't do that well. Or you are really not Pats fans like Jints!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to Neal Page's comment:

At least Mayo doesn't call Kraft a liar, hold out, play poorly against the elite competition and then get injured all the time.

What a ridiculous thread. Any LB near the top in tackles is at least a good player.  He's had another very good year. I don't know what you want. Then again, any time anyone on the D isn't a future HOFer, he "sucks" or is "overrated".

Not a ridiculous thread at all. You mean to tell me this guy is good in coverage? Do you think he is a difference maker? A guy that changes games? I mean he's out there all the time, he plays in the middle of everything, yet he very rarely impacts these games. And he does get hurt...every year actually...it's a knee, it's the ankle, it's that shoulder. What the hell are you talking about?

He's got talent - lots, but something is seriously missing from this guy. Obviously because he plays on this "yound and exciting defense" you will give him a hall pass. What else is new? I bet  there are 30 linebackers in this league that would do twice as well as him if they had his ability...Spikes is one of them.

LBers get picks from QBs who are rushed into throws. Right now ... there is very little of that. How many LBers actually match up with a player like Spiller man to man??? Come on. 

You see it all the time here. Look at what Woodhead does to LBers.

Yes, Spikes is an instinctive player. Sure. Mayo is more cerebral. The guy gets everyone into position in the LBing crew and rarely makes mental errors in that capacity.

I'll put it this way ...

IF Mayo were playing in between Harrison, Law, Poole, Seymour, Washington, Vrabel, etc, he would probably be running ROUGHSHOD over defenses making plays instead of weeding through trash to stop RBs who get to the second level or deperately trying to cover 2nd level recievers because BB has to line these god awful safeties 30 yards off scrimmage so the WRs don't blow their heads off while they leave our corners coughing up their dust.

OK??

There isn't a LBer in the NFL that is asked to cover more ground (and mistakes) than this guy.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Looks like you see Mayo as a victim z.  He's a top 10 pick.  I expect him to make every play while also crapping golden eggs out there. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Mayo is fine, Belichek's best players don't seem to make plays in his system. See Seymour and even Wilfork until last year. They allow other players to make players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

it depends on what you wanted him to be.....if you wanted him to be a solid defended and good tackler....and also a leader on defense, he has done that.....he hasnt made many big plays and fails to get his head turned around on many passes to tight ends....but he has been a good player, not an all-pro, but a solid player.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

it depends on what you wanted him to be.....if you wanted him to be a solid defended and good tackler....and also a leader on defense, he has done that.....he hasnt made many big plays and fails to get his head turned around on many passes to tight ends....but he has been a good player, not an all-pro, but a solid player.

Well considering no one on the defense turns their head when defending passes, I guess that is too be expected.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:

I agree. He makes a lot of tackles but he is just not the game changing playmaker Pats need  as leader on the D. 

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

Mayo has always been a solid tackler, but for a #10 pick, I would like to see more big plays from him.  He started to do that towards the end of last year, but those explosive plays has disappeared again.  I think last year, there was some low draft pick LB down in TN or JAX that in his first five games, he had the same number INT, forced fumbles, and recoveries as Mayo had in his first four years in the league.

Again, Mayo is solid but not that much better...ie,overrated.

yes by bb.

hes his teacher's pet.

not bad mind you just not a gamechanging superstar playmaker.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I don't know. I think he is a very good ILB. He is a tackling machine. He is a great communicator. Sorry, I disagree with folks, I think he is good in coverage. Not amazing, but he matches up well with his assignments most of the time. 

It's tough to "make plays" when you are babysitting the terrible players behind you. 

i dotn think we have a lb who covers even decent

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think someone answered you above. If BB is playing a vanilla Cover 2 most of the time, how is it Mayo's fault that he's not being used behind the line of scrimmage, etc? Ask BB.

I would say the fact BB trusts Mayo so much to call the plays and the lead the D down the middle, that it's good enough for me.

He's around the ball plenty, is a good run defender and is currently on his 3rd defense where it leads  the league (top of the league) in takeaways. You act like he doesn't do anything or is never in position.

It's just another example of you needing to see all world, future HOF players on D to feel secure in liking any player on D.

It's just pathetic, really. Let me ask you this: If Brasy didn't melt down in the SB last year, would you like Mayo more with a ring on his finger?

Yeah, maybe they are just using him wrong? I don't know? He's got talent and then all I see is him 20 yards away in coverage losing his guy. Why do you waste him out there? I mean it's not like it helps things - we can't possibly be worse in coverage.

And I do like plenty of guys that aren't pro bowlers or hall of famers. I liked Vrabel, Phifer was great. Cox was Spikes. There has to be at least 10 defensive linemen over the last 10 years that will never come close to the hall of fame that I liked. I just don't like players that aren't good - this defense has many of them. I wouldn't put Mayo in the "not good" catergory, I just think he is not a difference maker. 

"I wouldn't put Mayo in the "not good" catergory, I just think he is not a difference maker. "

bout as i have it

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Pats gave up #23 to Balt. 

And then used the extra pick to jump over Balt in 2010 for Gronk.   Was a great move since the 2010 draft was the deepest since 1983.

Clay Matthews doesn't like to play the run, so he wouldn't be a fit here.

Okay that was a good move then, I wasn't sure what pick they traded to get in position to take Gronk, and you're right about Mathews not playing the run game very well.

That was a good move then IMO. I think that was the year the Jets took Gholston LOL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

In response to rtuinila's comment:

According to most of you, none of the Pats are that good, yet they keep winning! BB can't pick talent, yet they keep winning! Therefore I must assume your fantasy teams didn't do that well. Or you are really not Pats fans like Jints!

No, I think their point is you have Tom Brady

he doth covereth many faults, including a sub-par D

stop talking intelligently and making all these good points the 3 or so of you doing so. 

you are "irrational" and not real pats fans accordign to many on bdc.

if you know football a little and speak the truth to others who dont see it, you are treasonous trolls.

oh jints, you would be just a hater i guess

Sections
Shortcuts