Mayo is just not that good.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Mayo is just not that good.

I think Mayo is pretty good.  It doesn't matter where a guy is drafted.  All this "we could have had so and so ..."  Well 31 other teams also missed out.  It's not like there are 30 or 60 or 90 superstars coming out of every draft and the Pats are picking the only dud every time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

All of our players sux besides Tom Brady, I don't know how we win nearly every week, it's a mystery?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Mayo is the least of our problems on this defense.

He is a marginal star player rather that a bona fide star player. But he is still one of the few solid assets this D has.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mayo is the least of our problems on this defense.

He is a marginal star player rather that a bona fide star player. But he is still one of the few solid assets this D has.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  The media still hypes Urlacher who is a shadow of what he once was.  Mayo has more ability at this point but he's surrounded by guys with deficiencies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know. I think he is a very good ILB. He is a tackling machine. He is a great communicator. Sorry, I disagree with folks, I think he is good in coverage. Not amazing, but he matches up well with his assignments most of the time. 

It's tough to "make plays" when you are babysitting the terrible players behind you. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree Z. Mayo is a much better player then what fans think he is. There is a lot he does that most don't even notice. I said this before, he's not an game changer in the sense of fumbles or ints' but he's such a solid player that impacts the players around him. Truthfully you need a mix of both and Mayo is just one of the more important parts of that mix. Hightower and Spikes are game changers but you need that solid player to pull them together and allows them to take more risks and cause more game changing plays.

Think of it like Vince. He isn't an game changing player in the sense of stats but he makes an impact with the players around him. Yes there is a difference between impact players and game changers though some players are both.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

dumb thread

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

I THINK MAYO IS A ONE OF THE BEST MIDDLE LINEBACKERS IN THE GAME. NAME 5 THAT ARE BETTER THAN HIM THAT ARE PLAYING. I WILL GIVE YOU WILLIS, URLACHER IS ARGUABLE. LEWIS IS INJURED AND NOT PLAYING. SO GO AHEAD. NAME 5 MLB BETTER THAN MAYO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to seymonster's comment:
    [QUOTE]

dumb thread

[/QUOTE]

Dumber post

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to isurfvb24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I THINK MAYO IS A ONE OF THE BEST MIDDLE LINEBACKERS IN THE GAME. NAME 5 THAT ARE BETTER THAN HIM THAT ARE PLAYING. I WILL GIVE YOU WILLIS, URLACHER IS ARGUABLE. LEWIS IS INJURED AND NOT PLAYING. SO GO AHEAD. NAME 5 MLB BETTER THAN MAYO.

[/QUOTE]

Well Mayo is considered an OLB this year and the 2 key stats (only stats) are tackles and sacks.  I don't even know how you would quantify tackles and there importance to ranking a player.

There are 3 OLB with more solo tackles. Greenway, Lavonte and Allen

The most tell stat to me, there are 28 OLB with more sacks including Hightower.

So to sum it up again, he's really not that good.  Average at best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to isurfvb24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well Mayo is considered an OLB this year and the 2 key stats (only stats) are tackles and sacks.  I don't even know how you would quantify tackles and there importance to ranking a player.

There are 3 OLB with more solo tackles. Greenway, Lavonte and Allen

The most tell stat to me, there are 28 OLB with more sacks including Hightower.

So to sum it up again, he's really not that good.  Average at best.

[/QUOTE]

oh come on man what a lousy excuse. do you even watch football? how many times a game do they send him to blitz? as a matter of fact the pats as a team never or rarely blitz, so stop with the sacks stats. like i said, name five mlb better than mayo??? he was moved to olb because they have nobody else after nink to play olb. his entire career he has been a mlb. and a top 5 mlb at that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Ok I'll Play and we'll use your rules MLB/ILB's.

Now, like I said above there is really no way to quantify LB's so it purely subjective and you can easily disagree with me without adding any evidence to prove otherwise.

James Laurinaitis

Daryl Washington

Curtis Lofton

Patrick Willis

DeMeo Ryans

Paul Posluszny

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

Ok I'll Play and we'll use your rules MLB/ILB's.

Now, like I said above there is really no way to quantify LB's so it purely subjective and you can easily disagree with me without adding any evidence to prove otherwise.

James Laurinaitis

Daryl Washington

Curtis Lofton

Patrick Willis

DeMeo Ryans

Paul Posluszny

[/QUOTE]

Is Posluszny even in the NFL anymore? I heard he was demoted to NFL B Jaguars.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I just think it is funny that people that are supposedly fans of the Pats never seem to realize that BB's defense is not a "star making" D. Your stats in this D will always be average or a little above average at best. It has always been that way and will probable always be that way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just think it is funny that people that are supposedly fans of the Pats never seem to realize that BB's defense is not a "star making" D. Your stats in this D will always be average or a little above average at best. It has always been that way and will probable always be that way.

[/QUOTE]

Can you really design a defense that makes everyone average?  Come on Man!  You can't hold greatness back.  Let me give you 3 names from BB's past.  Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson and Carl Banks....no stars there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Mayo is good, but nothing special.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1. Asante Samuel

2. It's just not stats. It's about having the ability to make big plays during big moments. Bruschi never had great stats, but he always came through in the clutch.

IMO, Brandon Spikes has become a better player than Mayo. Both are sound against the run and poor against the pass. But Spikes has made big time interceptions (AFC championship game and I remember a regular season one against the Jets in 2010) and big time fumbles.

Mayo may have made some big plays, but I don't remember any of them

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At least Mayo doesn't call Kraft a liar, hold out, play poorly against the elite competition and then get injured all the time.

What a ridiculous thread. Any LB near the top in tackles is at least a good player.  He's had another very good year. I don't know what you want. Then again, any time anyone on the D isn't a future HOFer, he "sucks" or is "overrated".

[/QUOTE]

Not a ridiculous thread at all. You mean to tell me this guy is good in coverage? Do you think he is a difference maker? A guy that changes games? I mean he's out there all the time, he plays in the middle of everything, yet he very rarely impacts these games. And he does get hurt...every year actually...it's a knee, it's the ankle, it's that shoulder. What the hell are you talking about?

He's got talent - lots, but something is seriously missing from this guy. Obviously because he plays on this "yound and exciting defense" you will give him a hall pass. What else is new? I bet  there are 30 linebackers in this league that would do twice as well as him if they had his ability...Spikes is one of them.

[/QUOTE]

LBers get picks from QBs who are rushed into throws. Right now ... there is very little of that. How many LBers actually match up with a player like Spiller man to man??? Come on. 

You see it all the time here. Look at what Woodhead does to LBers.

Yes, Spikes is an instinctive player. Sure. Mayo is more cerebral. The guy gets everyone into position in the LBing crew and rarely makes mental errors in that capacity.

I'll put it this way ...

IF Mayo were playing in between Harrison, Law, Poole, Seymour, Washington, Vrabel, etc, he would probably be running ROUGHSHOD over defenses making plays instead of weeding through trash to stop RBs who get to the second level or deperately trying to cover 2nd level recievers because BB has to line these god awful safeties 30 yards off scrimmage so the WRs don't blow their heads off while they leave our corners coughing up their dust.

OK??

There isn't a LBer in the NFL that is asked to cover more ground (and mistakes) than this guy.  

[/QUOTE]

Just incredibly well said.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many LBs in this league are "good in coverage"?  Spikes isn't good in coverage, but he's not bad. So, an LB not great in coverage somehow makes them not valuable to a D?

Tedy Bruschi would be AWFUL in coverage if he was playing today. Fact.

Your comments prove what I've always said about you: If the player on D isn't a future HOFer, he's overrated or he sucks.

Your barometer is pathetic considering the Ds have it worse than any our SB era Ds. If you want to bag on "coverage" look no further than an inconsistent pass rush combined with egregious holding by O Lines in this league.

No LB is "good in coverage".  Vet Ds can cover up their slower LBs, but that's about it.  

[/QUOTE]I actually thought that Tedy Bruschi was pretty good in coverage. Certainly Mayo is  a terrific tackler--one of the best in the league-- and extremely valuable to the team. That said, every MLB needs to be fast enough to stay with the tight ends (how about Ray Lewis losing weight to do it?) and Mayo always seems to be a step or two late and hardly ever knocks a pass down. Hopefully this is an area where he can improve.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats need a game changer at Linebacker. Mathews would have been good.

[/QUOTE]

See one Brandon spikes. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Mayo is one of the best LB's in the league. He doesnt flash gaudy sack stats, but he plays his position clean, and is a tackling machine. He is exactly what I would want a paTs lb to be. SpIke's has stepped up to ppotential game changer . There is 50/50 chance he will either dislodge the ball or a head when he hits someone. Jury out on Hightower. I expected him to be playing better, but I think he had setback with the injury. If Hightower can play to his potential, the pats will have the best set of LB's in the game..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Dude still bringing nothing to the table.  I seen a WR blow right by him.  Hopefully he does something to help us in the 2nd half. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

He may of been the worst player on defense today (aside from that fat tub of goo Love). The guy is totally clueless in coverage - he also is very slow to react between a run or a pass. These are mistakes and tendencies that sophomores in college have. Spikes - who has a tenth of Mayo's speed - is all over the field.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Dear Mayo,

Tcal is just not that into you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

he had a good sack last night, but he's had a couple penalties that are rookie like.

when he got drafted, he was probably the best talent on the team, but since then BB has drafted better talent.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

LB's should lead in tackles so that doesn't impress me, it's the fact he can't cover, hits the wrong hole and seems to whiff a lot that irks me.  I expect Urlacher or Lewis level of play from the guy not the invisible man.

[/QUOTE]

Not #2 on the Pats.  #2 in the NFL.  Going into last night's game, he was leading the NFL in tackles.

Sections
Shortcuts