Mayo is just not that good.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Re: Mayo is just not that good.

leads the NFL in Tackles and assists? What are you talking about? Smoke another bowl dude!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

he's #2 in tackles.

Is it the scheme/system that constrains him fom making impact plays?

[/QUOTE]

LB's should lead in tackles so that doesn't impress me, it's the fact he can't cover, hits the wrong hole and seems to whiff a lot that irks me.  I expect Urlacher or Lewis level of play from the guy not the invisible man.

[/QUOTE]

So you expect once in a decade/century type stats out of Mayo. Sounds like your expectations are out of whack.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

This is a dumb thread, with weaksauce arguments. 

1.) Mayo is one of the best LBs in football, he's easily top 10. 

2.) Mayo doesn't make "clutch plays", sure, but how many times have you seen a QB target Mayo to make a key 3rd down conversion or a RB run right at him to convert a 4th and short. We already know the guy tackles everything that moves, so what makes you think the problem is that he's not clutch and not that he's not been asked to make a clutch play yet?  

3.) Comparing Mayo's sack numbers to the likes of Clay Mathews, D-Ware and LaMarr Woodley is stupid. Those guys play OLB in a 3-4, 4-3 OLBs aren't sack men unless asked to blitz. Until last week, BB rarely ever sent a blitz. 

4.) Why is it that you guys only think a guy is good if he has big stats. Asante Samuel made a ton of INTs, but he costed us a ton of TDs because he jumped routes. He also couldn't set the edge to save his life. By your standards, Arrington was one of the best CBs in the league last year since he was tied for the league lead in INTs.

5.) Don't know who the idiot is that said Mayo, of all people, was second behind Love as the worst player on the starting 11, but Ninkovich is second to Love in terms of lack of talent. Just because Ninkovich has a lot of FFs it doesn't mean he's talented. Nink the Dink gets one on one on every player. Chandler and Wilfork draw double coverage, that's why Nink is usually left free. The guy should be owning on every play, but he rarely ever pressures the QB. Don't know why Bequette can't get on the field when UDRFA Francis has, but he's supposed the be the NFL ready DE. He's looking like a B word if he can't beat out a scrub like Ninkovich. 

Mayo is the fastest player in the front 7, he's the smartest, he's the quickest. In terms of pure talent, in the front 7, Mayo is second only to Vince. 

Mayo is a better LB, in terms of talent, than Bruschi ever was. Tedy was fortunate enough to play with a fantastic defense around him, while Mayo has had to play with scrubs. But, as someone said earlier, if Mayo had Ty Warren (when he was good), Seymour, Wilfork and Jarvis Green (When he was good) lined up in front of him he would be a world beater too. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Good post 49. All Mayo does is what Bill Belichick asks of him...."Do Your Job", and he does it well!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

2.) Mayo doesn't make "clutch plays", sure, but how many times have you seen a QB target Mayo to make a key 3rd down conversion or a RB run right at him to convert a 4th and short. We already know the guy tackles everything that moves, so what makes you think the problem is that he's not clutch and not that he's not been asked to make a clutch play yet?  

3.) Comparing Mayo's sack numbers to the likes of Clay Mathews, D-Ware and LaMarr Woodley is stupid. Those guys play OLB in a 3-4, 4-3 OLBs aren't sack men unless asked to blitz. Until last week, BB rarely ever sent a blitz. 

4.) Why is it that you guys only think a guy is good if he has big stats. Asante Samuel made a ton of INTs, but he costed us a ton of TDs because he jumped routes. He also couldn't set the edge to save his life. By your standards, Arrington was one of the best CBs in the league last year since he was tied for the league lead in INTs.

5.) Don't know who the idiot is that said Mayo, of all people, was second behind Love as the worst player on the starting 11, but Ninkovich is second to Love in terms of lack of talent. Just because Ninkovich has a lot of FFs it doesn't mean he's talented. Nink the Dink gets one on one on every player. Chandler and Wilfork draw double coverage, that's why Nink is usually left free. The guy should be owning on every play, but he rarely ever pressures the QB. Don't know why Bequette can't get on the field when UDRFA Francis has, but he's supposed the be the NFL ready DE. He's looking like a B word if he can't beat out a scrub like Ninkovich. 

Mayo is the fastest player in the front 7, he's the smartest, he's the quickest. In terms of pure talent, in the front 7, Mayo is second only to Vince. 

Mayo is a better LB, in terms of talent, than Bruschi ever was. Tedy was fortunate enough to play with a fantastic defense around him, while Mayo has had to play with scrubs. But, as someone said earlier, if Mayo had Ty Warren (when he was good), Seymour, Wilfork and Jarvis Green (When he was good) lined up in front of him he would be a world beater too. 

[/QUOTE]

Tell me what makes him this great player you say he is. You mention him being the fastest player in our front seven (and he may be), but it means nothing if the guy doesn't react quickly after the snap. To me that's what he does. He's the smartest? First of all Brandon Spikes doesn't seem like the brightest bulb and neither was Ty Law, but they were football smart....I don't see that with Mayo. He is the quickest guy in our front seven? Maybe he is, but again it means nothing when you can't read the play right away and your feet start heading in the wrong direction.

Too me for a guy that is supposed to be such a huge part of a defense, I've never seen someone have as little an impact. He's big, he's fast, he's quick., he's a smart good guy...yet I watch the games, I watch him - he's almost never making an impact. Unless this guy is just one of the most suttle players of all time or being used wrong, I don't see it. He is playing with one of the greatest defensive nose tackles of all time in front of him, he should have a lot of tackles...they just shouldn't be 7 yards down the field. If Bruschi had his size and speed, he'd be in the Hall of Fame.

I've got to be wrong, I mean they signed him to a 45 million dollar deal, he is always on the field, he leads the league in tackles...yet I just don't get it. I listen to him on the radio and he is very funny and likeable. He looks like a linebacker is supposed to look. I wanted a fast guy in the middle of this defense for years. Maybe if he was on those better defenses he would play like I thought he was going to play, but I don't see it now. I've got to be wrong because everyone loves this guy.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mt Hurl knows more than BB, didn't everyone know that? Mt Hurl and Babe are superb GMs in the NFL and have the laurels of BB as a GM. They think there is no such thing as a salary cap and believe everyone stinks except the stars on the offensive side of the ball.

Also, if you aren't in Brady's binky club on offense, you also stink.

[/QUOTE]

Have we not reached the point now where you basically are considered a Pom Pom waving bud lite holding,pony  tails carefully sticking out the sides of your pink hat...little chick? 

I mean really? You don't even understand what you are watching at the quarterback position.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tell me what makes him this great player you say he is. You mention him being the fastest player in our front seven (and he may be), but it means nothing if the guy doesn't react quickly after the snap. To me that's what he does. He's the smartest? First of all Brandon Spikes doesn't seem like the brightest bulb and neither was Ty Law, but they were football smart....I don't see that with Mayo. He is the quickest guy in our front seven? Maybe he is, but again it means nothing when you can't read the play right away and your feet start heading in the wrong direction.

Too me for a guy that is supposed to be such a huge part of a defense, I've never seen someone have as little an impact. He's big, he's fast, he's quick., he's a smart good guy...yet I watch the games, I watch him - he's almost never making an impact. Unless this guy is just one of the most suttle players of all time or being used wrong, I don't see it. He is playing with one of the greatest defensive nose tackles of all time in front of him, he should have a lot of tackles...they just shouldn't be 7 yards down the field. If Bruschi had his size and speed, he'd be in the Hall of Fame.

I've got to be wrong, I mean they signed him to a 45 million dollar deal, he is always on the field, he leads the league in tackles...yet I just don't get it. I listen to him on the radio and he is very funny and likeable. He looks like a linebacker is supposed to look. I wanted a fast guy in the middle of this defense for years. Maybe if he was on those better defenses he would play like I thought he was going to play, but I don't see it now. I've got to be wrong because everyone loves this guy.

[/QUOTE]

First of all, I never said he was a "great" player. I never said I he was top 5, I said top 10 and I meant in the bottom 3rd of the 10. He's a damn good LB who does what he is asked to do, tackle and make stops. 

Now, what do you mean he doesn't react quickly? Just because you see Brandon shooting through the A-gaps it doesn't mean he's reacting faster than Jerod. Brandon is a MLB, his job is usaully to get the RB on running plays that's why you see him B lining towards the QB/RB. Mayo, on the other hand, has other responsibilities playing OLB. 

Now, you talk about Mayo playing with Vince, but Spikes benefits more from that than Mayo. Wilfork creates the holes for Spikes to shoot through. Once again, unless Mayo is asked to blitz, he's not asked to go after the QB. His job is simple, if it is a run, you go after the RB (He's top 5 in tackles, so that should tell you that he's hitting someone). If it is pass, you read it and look for your man. Nothing else. 

Once again, Bruschi played with Seymour in his prime. Seymour in his prime was Reggie White domminant. Then, Bruschi got Warren and Green to help keep him clean. If Bruschi had Mayo's talent on this defense he'd play at just about the same level. It's not Mayo's talent, it's the fact that Mayo only has one great DT and one good rookie DE in front of him.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree with all 5 of your opinions 49.  For a top 10 pick I expect more the Willie McGinest type and not the Willy Wonka we got.  He easily blew 5 plays Thursday night, we have one of if not the worst 3rd down Defenses thanks to his complete lack of coverage skills and that's a fact.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First of all, I never said he was a "great" player. I never said I he was top 5, I said top 10 and I meant in the bottom 3rd of the 10. He's a damn good LB who does what he is asked to do, tackle and make stops. 

Now, what do you mean he doesn't react quickly? Just because you see Brandon shooting through the A-gaps it doesn't mean he's reacting faster than Jerod. Brandon is a MLB, his job is usaully to get the RB on running plays that's why you see him B lining towards the QB/RB. Mayo, on the other hand, has other responsibilities playing OLB. 

Now, you talk about Mayo playing with Vince, but Spikes benefits more from that than Mayo. Wilfork creates the holes for Spikes to shoot through. Once again, unless Mayo is asked to blitz, he's not asked to go after the QB. His job is simple, if it is a run, you go after the RB (He's top 5 in tackles, so that should tell you that he's hitting someone). If it is pass, you read it and look for your man. Nothing else. 

Once again, Bruschi played with Seymour in his prime. Seymour in his prime was Reggie White domminant. Then, Bruschi got Warren and Green to help keep him clean. If Bruschi had Mayo's talent on this defense he'd play at just about the same level. It's not Mayo's talent, it's the fact that Mayo only has one great DT and one good rookie DE in front of him.

[/QUOTE]

Ok fair enough. So basically what you're saying is if he's surrounded by better talent he will be better. Can't argue with that - I just expect him to elevate the talent around HIM because he was drafted high enough and paid well enough too warrant that in my opinion. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree with all 5 of your opinions 49.  For a top 10 pick I expect more the Willie McGinest type and not the Willy Wonka we got.  He easily blew 5 plays Thursday night, we have one of if not the worst 3rd down Defenses thanks to his complete lack of coverage skills and that's a fact.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the stats are, but how many top 10 picks over the past 10 drafts become players of Lewis' or Urlacher's ilk?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the stats are, but how many top 10 picks over the past 10 drafts become players of Lewis' or Urlacher's ilk?

[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but we got one with a skill set more in line with Punky Brewster.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

What a conversation. Bruschi was a different player than Mayo. 

One, Teddy was inside in a 34, Mayo plays outside in a 43 under. Some of that comes out in the wash, because in the end, those both are spots where the player spotted between the ENDs. But in practice, it pushes a lot more man coverage off on to Mayo than Bruschi ever saw. Bruschi almost never matched with a TE or RB or Slot (for instance) because Vrabel or Harrison or the slot CB could have picked him up. In short, Bruschi played a role that really doesn't exist, or is better matched by Spikes' role right now.  

Teddy made a few more plays. True. But not that many more. And that is easily accounted for by the talent around him. He had a way better front 4/5 than Mayo has had. I mean come one, Nink, Love, Fork, Jones isn't in the same league as Seymour, Warren, Fork, McGinest, Vrabel. There is one first ballot HOFer and another potential HOFer on that second list. He also had a way better back four. NE doesn't have one safety as good as Harrison or one CB as good as Law during Mayo's tenure. Right now the only thing on this defense that compares favorably with those old defenses *are* the LBing corps. I seriously think they are top five ten in the league. Mayo, Hightower, and Spikes are durned good if you ask me. 

It's incredibly tough to say ... the naked fact is that this defensive line is not as good at setting an edge or stopping runs up the middle. They end up relying on their LBers to come up and make the stop. Moreover, they are not as good at coverage, which means there is going to be a lot less safety help underneath. Consider this ... the leading tackler for those defenses was Rodney Harrison between 2003-4!?!? How often does this current D have the luxury of playing a safety in the box and running cover-1?? If you don't have the corners you can't do that. So it's impossible to even talk about underneath coverage, because Bruschi was often times part of a bracket that included a player like Harrison, backed by a pass rush that would net a cool 40-50 sacks per season. Of COURSE he had more picks. He could sit there in zone watching the QB and not have to worry about covering up for the subpar coverage of other players, and he spent way lass time chasing TEs across the field because NE could dedicate a safety to that. 

And with all the stuff to complain about on this defense the last few seasons, complaining about how Mayo isn 't a great matchup with a slot WR (?!?!) seems silly. It's pretty tough ripping a guy who's led the league in tackles the last few seasons. He's creating fumbles (3) defending passes a little, and getting some sacks. Is he the best LB in the league? No. But he is certainly one of the best LBers.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But why would you expect a McGinest type? He won't ever put up WMC numbers because they play different positions. Willie played outside linebacker in the 34 and DE in the 43. Mayo plays OLB in the 43 under and ILB if they sub to a 3 man front. 

Moreover, Willie was the "rush" linebacker, and could never cover like Mayo does. He wouldn't even get the opportunity to blow three plays because even when NE stood him up he was a glorified DE. 

Those are apples and oranges. For a top ten pick on an ILB, really if you hope for more you are being unrealistic. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

'game changing plays' -- one of the more idiotic overused phrases in football talk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do the morons on here who sound like they have permanent sand in their respective vag's with regards to any player on this defense, realize how whiny and spoiled they sound?

95% of fanbases would read this crap and be shaking their heads thinking how spoiled you sound.

Bruschi was very impressed with Mayo from day 1. That's good enough for me.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if there is a bigger hypocrite on the internet than you - you bash Bruschi and his comments on a regular basis. Hey, how's Alex Smith doing these days? You still wish Brady could be more like him? You know, riding the bench.

I'm wicked sorry I'm not going to wet my pants over Mayo because he hasn't demonstrated he's a total bust.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What a conversation. Bruschi was a different player than Mayo. 

One, Teddy was inside in a 34, Mayo plays outside in a 43 under. Some of that comes out in the wash, because in the end, those both are spots where the player spotted between the ENDs. But in practice, it pushes a lot more man coverage off on to Mayo than Bruschi ever saw. Bruschi almost never matched with a TE or RB or Slot (for instance) because Vrabel or Harrison or the slot CB could have picked him up. In short, Bruschi played a role that really doesn't exist, or is better matched by Spikes' role right now.  

Teddy made a few more plays. True. But not that many more. And that is easily accounted for by the talent around him. He had a way better front 4/5 than Mayo has had. I mean come one, Nink, Love, Fork, Jones isn't in the same league as Seymour, Warren, Fork, McGinest, Vrabel. There is one first ballot HOFer and another potential HOFer on that second list. He also had a way better back four. NE doesn't have one safety as good as Harrison or one CB as good as Law during Mayo's tenure. Right now the only thing on this defense that compares favorably with those old defenses *are* the LBing corps. I seriously think they are top five ten in the league. Mayo, Hightower, and Spikes are durned good if you ask me. 

It's incredibly tough to say ... the naked fact is that this defensive line is not as good at setting an edge or stopping runs up the middle. They end up relying on their LBers to come up and make the stop. Moreover, they are not as good at coverage, which means there is going to be a lot less safety help underneath. Consider this ... the leading tackler for those defenses was Rodney Harrison between 2003-4!?!? How often does this current D have the luxury of playing a safety in the box and running cover-1?? If you don't have the corners you can't do that. So it's impossible to even talk about underneath coverage, because Bruschi was often times part of a bracket that included a player like Harrison, backed by a pass rush that would net a cool 40-50 sacks per season. Of COURSE he had more picks. He could sit there in zone watching the QB and not have to worry about covering up for the subpar coverage of other players, and he spent way lass time chasing TEs across the field because NE could dedicate a safety to that. 

And with all the stuff to complain about on this defense the last few seasons, complaining about how Mayo isn 't a great matchup with a slot WR (?!?!) seems silly. It's pretty tough ripping a guy who's led the league in tackles the last few seasons. He's creating fumbles (3) defending passes a little, and getting some sacks. Is he the best LB in the league? No. But he is certainly one of the best LBers.  

[/QUOTE]

When I watch this defense surrender 3rd down after third down he's one of those guys that stick out like a sore thumb. He looks lost to me. I see Spikes with a fraction of his speed and he is closer in coverage because he seems to instinctively know where to be. I watched a 75 year old Junior Seau drop back into coverage and be where he was supposed to be depth wise, not Mayo. If he is not supposed to be good in coverage (and isn't) then why do they keep putting him there? I watch the ball be snapped and he's the last linebacker moving...he's quick and fast, but it means nothing when you don't know what direction to go after the snap. To me this guy doesn't have good instincts - he's got all the tools, but something is missing. Just my opinion.

I understand totally that the talent around him is not very good, I just think he should make THEM better. Is he being used too much in capcities that he is not good at out of necesity? There was a radio poll a few weeks ago about the most overrrated Patriot, his name was mentioned most...no one on that station disagreed. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This is for the Rusty types who don't get a general comparison.  McGinest and Mayo are both top 10 LB picks by the Patriots.  That's the comparison being made,  One was great and the other not so much.

Yes Rusty you win since you called McGinest easly career dissapointing.  Let me trump you by saying Mayo peaked his first year and has been a flop the other 3.5.  You lose, again.

Oh and let me know when Mayo sets his first NFL record.   SLAM Baby!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

This is for the Rusty types who don't get a general comparison.  McGinest and Mayo are both top 10 LB picks by the Patriots.  That's the comparison being made,  One was great and the other not so much.

Yes Rusty you win since you called McGinest easly career dissapointing.  Let me trump you by saying Mayo peaked his first year and has been a flop the other 3.5.  You lose, again.

Oh and let me know when Mayo sets his first NFL record.   SLAM Baby!!!

[/QUOTE]

You led off by simply stating that you didnt think much of Mayo since he was a rookie. Well, sorry but that is just poor assessment. I mean really poor. You can change your mind or try to change the meaning (by turning the original assessment into one comparing Mayo with McGinest or someone else). But this is just one of many posts over the last couple of years that are simply poor assessments.

I have read hack jobs on Mayo, Spikes, Nink, McCourty, Vereen, Edelmen, Solder, Cannon, Vollmer, Cunningham, etc. Now not every one of these guys is GREAT but they are all showing value.

Mayo is a KEY LEADER on one of the five best teams in the league (draw up whatever order of teams you like). He is a critical player on a D that is one of the better teams v the run and is developing a good pass rush (in part from blitzing guys like Mayo) and improving in their pass coverage game. If you are not satisfied with one of the best players on the team and certainly a leader of this D then you ought to reevaluate how you evaluate.