Mayo is just not that good.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: Mayo is just not that good.

BREAKING NEWS!!! Willie retired years ago. He's not coming back. Mayo is the team's leading tackler but he stinks? Why does he stink? Because he doesn't get enough fantasy points for 'impact plays'?

Pink helmet whining

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

First we had Hobbs apologists then Maroney apologists now Mayo apologists.  The guy just isn't that good.  I don't expect Rusty or one of him many accounts to get how a comparison works.  I enjoy the 3rd grade "pink helmet whining" insult.  Now that's original and so biting.  Like most team tackles actually Correlates to good......another Play-Doh moment.

Lilac apologist 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

This is for the Rusty types who don't get a general comparison.  McGinest and Mayo are both top 10 LB picks by the Patriots.  That's the comparison being made,  One was great and the other not so much.

Yes Rusty you win since you called McGinest easly career dissapointing.  Let me trump you by saying Mayo peaked his first year and has been a flop the other 3.5.  You lose, again.

Oh and let me know when Mayo sets his first NFL record.   SLAM Baby!!!

You led off by simply stating that you didnt think much of Mayo since he was a rookie. Well, sorry but that is just poor assessment. I mean really poor. You can change your mind or try to change the meaning (by turning the original assessment into one comparing Mayo with McGinest or someone else). But this is just one of many posts over the last couple of years that are simply poor assessments.

I have read hack jobs on Mayo, Spikes, Nink, McCourty, Vereen, Edelmen, Solder, Cannon, Vollmer, Cunningham, etc. Now not every one of these guys is GREAT but they are all showing value.

Mayo is a KEY LEADER on one of the five best teams in the league (draw up whatever order of teams you like). He is a critical player on a D that is one of the better teams v the run and is developing a good pass rush (in part from blitzing guys like Mayo) and improving in their pass coverage game. If you are not satisfied with one of the best players on the team and certainly a leader of this D then you ought to reevaluate how you evaluate.

I have never been critical of Vereen, Solder, Cannon, Vollmer and not sure if I was about cummingham since he really never played till this year.  So do a better job evaluating me next time.

Here's a complete list.

Hobbs

Maroney

Maryweather

Mckenzie - I remember when everyone was in love with the guy and I started the this guy looks lost thread after a preseason game and got crucified in it.  So bring it boys.

Wilhite

Wheatly

Butler

BJGE

Nunn

Stinko

Edelman - who's turned it on the last two games and hopefully keeps it going

Dink - he's up and down

Spikes - last year I was hard on him, this year other then some stupid penalties not so much.

DMC - sucked as a CB and I'll wait and see how he works out at Safety

Mayo - he not that good.  Yes he's the leader of a statically poor defense during his time here.  Big    whoop 

Actually I'm pretty good at evaluating talent. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

This is for the Rusty types who don't get a general comparison.  McGinest and Mayo are both top 10 LB picks by the Patriots.  That's the comparison being made,  One was great and the other not so much.

Yes Rusty you win since you called McGinest easly career dissapointing.  Let me trump you by saying Mayo peaked his first year and has been a flop the other 3.5.  You lose, again.

Oh and let me know when Mayo sets his first NFL record.   SLAM Baby!!!

You led off by simply stating that you didnt think much of Mayo since he was a rookie. Well, sorry but that is just poor assessment. I mean really poor. You can change your mind or try to change the meaning (by turning the original assessment into one comparing Mayo with McGinest or someone else). But this is just one of many posts over the last couple of years that are simply poor assessments.

I have read hack jobs on Mayo, Spikes, Nink, McCourty, Vereen, Edelmen, Solder, Cannon, Vollmer, Cunningham, etc. Now not every one of these guys is GREAT but they are all showing value.

Mayo is a KEY LEADER on one of the five best teams in the league (draw up whatever order of teams you like). He is a critical player on a D that is one of the better teams v the run and is developing a good pass rush (in part from blitzing guys like Mayo) and improving in their pass coverage game. If you are not satisfied with one of the best players on the team and certainly a leader of this D then you ought to reevaluate how you evaluate.

I have never been critical of Vereen, Solder, Cannon, Vollmer and not sure if I was about cummingham since he really never played till this year.  So do a better job evaluating me next time.

Here's a complete list.

Hobbs

Maroney

Maryweather

Mckenzie - I remember when everyone was in love with the guy and I started the this guy looks lost thread after a preseason game and got crucified in it.  So bring it boys.

Wilhite

Wheatly

Butler

BJGE

Nunn

Stinko

Edelman - who's turned it on the last two games and hopefully keeps it going

Dink - he's up and down

Spikes - last year I was hard on him, this year other then some stupid penalties not so much.

DMC - sucked as a CB and I'll wait and see how he works out at Safety

Mayo - he not that good.  Yes he's the leader of a statically poor defense during his time here.  Big    whoop 

Actually I'm pretty good at evaluating talent. 

edelman has not had good enough (reliable) hands till this year. his hands coming around (combined with his speed adn elusiveness) make him dangersous on offense. he has always been decent at special teams , oftne close to breaking it. this year hes been lethal at both st and on offense. he needs to keep the concentration and eye-hand-ball corrdination up and drops down, and bb (and josh)will want to make him a feature toy next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

This is a dumb thread, with weaksauce arguments. 

1.) Mayo is one of the best LBs in football, he's easily top 10. 

2.) Mayo doesn't make "clutch plays", sure, but how many times have you seen a QB target Mayo to make a key 3rd down conversion or a RB run right at him to convert a 4th and short. We already know the guy tackles everything that moves, so what makes you think the problem is that he's not clutch and not that he's not been asked to make a clutch play yet?  

3.) Comparing Mayo's sack numbers to the likes of Clay Mathews, D-Ware and LaMarr Woodley is stupid. Those guys play OLB in a 3-4, 4-3 OLBs aren't sack men unless asked to blitz. Until last week, BB rarely ever sent a blitz. 

4.) Why is it that you guys only think a guy is good if he has big stats. Asante Samuel made a ton of INTs, but he costed us a ton of TDs because he jumped routes. He also couldn't set the edge to save his life. By your standards, Arrington was one of the best CBs in the league last year since he was tied for the league lead in INTs.

5.) Don't know who the idiot is that said Mayo, of all people, was second behind Love as the worst player on the starting 11, but Ninkovich is second to Love in terms of lack of talent. Just because Ninkovich has a lot of FFs it doesn't mean he's talented. Nink the Dink gets one on one on every player. Chandler and Wilfork draw double coverage, that's why Nink is usually left free. The guy should be owning on every play, but he rarely ever pressures the QB. Don't know why Bequette can't get on the field when UDRFA Francis has, but he's supposed the be the NFL ready DE. He's looking like a B word if he can't beat out a scrub like Ninkovich. 

Mayo is the fastest player in the front 7, he's the smartest, he's the quickest. In terms of pure talent, in the front 7, Mayo is second only to Vince. 

Mayo is a better LB, in terms of talent, than Bruschi ever was. Tedy was fortunate enough to play with a fantastic defense around him, while Mayo has had to play with scrubs. But, as someone said earlier, if Mayo had Ty Warren (when he was good), Seymour, Wilfork and Jarvis Green (When he was good) lined up in front of him he would be a world beater too. 

Tell me what makes him this great player you say he is. You mention him being the fastest player in our front seven (and he may be), but it means nothing if the guy doesn't react quickly after the snap. To me that's what he does. He's the smartest? First of all Brandon Spikes doesn't seem like the brightest bulb and neither was Ty Law, but they were football smart....I don't see that with Mayo. He is the quickest guy in our front seven? Maybe he is, but again it means nothing when you can't read the play right away and your feet start heading in the wrong direction.

Too me for a guy that is supposed to be such a huge part of a defense, I've never seen someone have as little an impact. He's big, he's fast, he's quick., he's a smart good guy...yet I watch the games, I watch him - he's almost never making an impact. Unless this guy is just one of the most suttle players of all time or being used wrong, I don't see it. He is playing with one of the greatest defensive nose tackles of all time in front of him, he should have a lot of tackles...they just shouldn't be 7 yards down the field. If Bruschi had his size and speed, he'd be in the Hall of Fame.

I've got to be wrong, I mean they signed him to a 45 million dollar deal, he is always on the field, he leads the league in tackles...yet I just don't get it. I listen to him on the radio and he is very funny and likeable. He looks like a linebacker is supposed to look. I wanted a fast guy in the middle of this defense for years. Maybe if he was on those better defenses he would play like I thought he was going to play, but I don't see it now. I've got to be wrong because everyone loves this guy.

you have it just right. agree with your analysis above. he is good, not great. not 45 mil dollar man to me, but he aint bad. and hes ours. i would have liked to sign him to a considerably less expensive contract at the time.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

First we had Hobbs apologists then Maroney apologists now Mayo apologists.  The guy just isn't that good.  I don't expect Rusty or one of him many accounts to get how a comparison works.  I enjoy the 3rd grade "pink helmet whining" insult.  Now that's original and so biting.  Like most team tackles actually Correlates to good......another Play-Doh moment.

Lilac apologist 

Well put. It's almost like we can't be honest around here - we have a pocket of people that bash Brady and blame it all on him, while guys like Mayo run around on lofty clouds. Why? I don't get it.

And when these guys are cut or move on to other teams during free agency and do very very little...the same people that praised and defended them while they were here, deny it. Ben Jarvus Green Ellis is the latest one - this is a guy that was near the bottom in almost every single major statistical catergory while he was here last year. And what is he doing now? The exact same thing, before that it was Merriweather. You can also add Ocho to the list, how often did Rusty defend that moron? What's Ocho doing nowadays?

I'm not saying Mayo is horrible, I'm just saying I don't think I've seen a guy with as much talent, size and strength do so little. I don't care that he has all these tackles - they are seven yards down the field or further. When you blow coverages half the time, guess what? You had better tackle the guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

2.) Mayo doesn't make "clutch plays", sure, but how many times have you seen a QB target Mayo to make a key 3rd down conversion or a RB run right at him to convert a 4th and short. We already know the guy tackles everything that moves, so what makes you think the problem is that he's not clutch and not that he's not been asked to make a clutch play yet?  

3.) Comparing Mayo's sack numbers to the likes of Clay Mathews, D-Ware and LaMarr Woodley is stupid. Those guys play OLB in a 3-4, 4-3 OLBs aren't sack men unless asked to blitz. Until last week, BB rarely ever sent a blitz. 

4.) Why is it that you guys only think a guy is good if he has big stats. Asante Samuel made a ton of INTs, but he costed us a ton of TDs because he jumped routes. He also couldn't set the edge to save his life. By your standards, Arrington was one of the best CBs in the league last year since he was tied for the league lead in INTs.

5.) Don't know who the idiot is that said Mayo, of all people, was second behind Love as the worst player on the starting 11, but Ninkovich is second to Love in terms of lack of talent. Just because Ninkovich has a lot of FFs it doesn't mean he's talented. Nink the Dink gets one on one on every player. Chandler and Wilfork draw double coverage, that's why Nink is usually left free. The guy should be owning on every play, but he rarely ever pressures the QB. Don't know why Bequette can't get on the field when UDRFA Francis has, but he's supposed the be the NFL ready DE. He's looking like a B word if he can't beat out a scrub like Ninkovich. 

Mayo is the fastest player in the front 7, he's the smartest, he's the quickest. In terms of pure talent, in the front 7, Mayo is second only to Vince. 

Mayo is a better LB, in terms of talent, than Bruschi ever was. Tedy was fortunate enough to play with a fantastic defense around him, while Mayo has had to play with scrubs. But, as someone said earlier, if Mayo had Ty Warren (when he was good), Seymour, Wilfork and Jarvis Green (When he was good) lined up in front of him he would be a world beater too. 

Tell me what makes him this great player you say he is. You mention him being the fastest player in our front seven (and he may be), but it means nothing if the guy doesn't react quickly after the snap. To me that's what he does. He's the smartest? First of all Brandon Spikes doesn't seem like the brightest bulb and neither was Ty Law, but they were football smart....I don't see that with Mayo. He is the quickest guy in our front seven? Maybe he is, but again it means nothing when you can't read the play right away and your feet start heading in the wrong direction.

Too me for a guy that is supposed to be such a huge part of a defense, I've never seen someone have as little an impact. He's big, he's fast, he's quick., he's a smart good guy...yet I watch the games, I watch him - he's almost never making an impact. Unless this guy is just one of the most suttle players of all time or being used wrong, I don't see it. He is playing with one of the greatest defensive nose tackles of all time in front of him, he should have a lot of tackles...they just shouldn't be 7 yards down the field. If Bruschi had his size and speed, he'd be in the Hall of Fame.

I've got to be wrong, I mean they signed him to a 45 million dollar deal, he is always on the field, he leads the league in tackles...yet I just don't get it. I listen to him on the radio and he is very funny and likeable. He looks like a linebacker is supposed to look. I wanted a fast guy in the middle of this defense for years. Maybe if he was on those better defenses he would play like I thought he was going to play, but I don't see it now. I've got to be wrong because everyone loves this guy.

you have it just right. agree with your analysis above. he is good, not great. not 45 mil dollar man to me, but he aint bad. and hes ours. i would have liked to sign him to a considerably less expensive contract at the time.

"Mayo is a better linbacker at talent than Bruschi ever was"

I'll be kind here. When Mayo spots 3 SB rings we can continue this discussion. Bruschi was the heart and sole to the Pats D just as Vince is today. At this point in Mayo's career ANYONE who would pick him over Bruschi is well.....plain foolish.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

And by the way, Spikes is now outplaying Mayo right now.

The Question with Mayo is not that he stinks or doesn't. It's amazingly simple really.

Is he playing at the level expected?

Is he playing at the level of his NEW contract making him one of the highest payed LB in the league?

Mayo is a good and solid linebacker, I like him.

However, I'm not convinced he has lived up to his new deal, yet, we'll see.

I remain bothered by him getting knocked backwards buy running backs (lack of power?)

Versus Spikes who when he greets you, your forward progress has ended for that play.

Mayo, very good, but not great.

Worth his current salary CAP position? I'll let others sort that out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

And by the way, Spikes is now outplaying Mayo right now.

The Question with Mayo is not that he stinks or doesn't. It's amazingly simple really.

Is he playing at the level expected?

Is he playing at the level of his NEW contract making him one of the highest payed LB in the league?

Mayo is a good and solid linebacker, I like him.

However, I'm not convinced he has lived up to his new deal, yet, we'll see.

I remain bothered by him getting knocked backwards buy running backs (lack of power?)

Versus Spikes who when he greets you, your forward progress has ended for that play.

Mayo, very good, but not great.

Worth his current salary CAP position? I'll let others sort that out.

The comment someone said about comparing Mayo to Bruschi, was more of a pure talent thing, it wasn't a matter of Mayo being a better player than Bruschi. And I can agree with that a little bit, although the more I think about it Bruschi wasn't exactly chopped liver in the talent department either - he wasn't small and he wasn't slow in his prime.

I think the point is when you look at the amount of talent and salary that Mayo has you want more out of him. You don't want to see runs up the middle in his direction with him locked on to a blocker while the runner gets by him for ten yards. You don't want to see him in coverage giving up play after play. You don't want to see a back get outside and have Mayo barely get a hand on him as the guy runs an extra 8 yards. To me this is part of the reason why when it's third down, they can complete passes for firsts or runs for firsts. He's just not a great player and he is being paid that way. If this defense is to improve he needs to be great - you can't just expect street free agents or 5th round picks to save us - it has to be the guy that is being paid 45 million and was a top ten pick. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Again, Mayo, at this point in his career can't hold a candle to Bruschi, period.

How soon we forget.

The Patriots won those 3 SBs with TALENT that was not fully reconized at the time. And Bruschi was at the head of that list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXajVZWjgS0&feature=fvwrel

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Is this thread still floating around...?

The guy leads the ENTIRE NFL in tackles... 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=TACKLES&conference=null&season=2012&seasonType=REG

Boy I know we're not supposed to be insulting on this new, friendlier and politically correct board but if you buy into this Mayo is no good garbage then you're a real A-hole.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Love the hyperbole, please please post where someone said " Mayo is no good garbage"

The over reaction to most things here is stunning to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

"Mayo is a better linbacker at talent than Bruschi ever was"

I'll be kind here. When Mayo spots 3 SB rings we can continue this discussion. Bruschi was the heart and sole to the Pats D just as Vince is today. At this point in Mayo's career ANYONE who would pick him over Bruschi is well.....plain foolish.

Wow, are you really trying to say that Tedy was the reason we won 3 SBs? Like the defense Tedy played in was not a top 5 defense thanks to the abundance of talent on the defensive side the ball? 

I love Tedy, great player, but he was the 5th best player on defense in 2001(Seymour, Law, McGinest and Milloy), the 5th best player in 2003 (Seymour, Law, McGinest and Harrison) and the 6th best player on defense in 2004 (Seymour, Law, McGinest, Harrison and Warren). 

Let's be honest here, any middle linebacker would flourish playing in front of Richard Seymour, just like Spikes is doing a bang up job playing in front of Wilfork. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Love the hyperbole, please please post where someone said " Mayo is no good garbage"

Did you not read the title? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

First off...never compare Bruschi to Mayo.  It's not even apples and oranges...it's like apples and kiwis!

Bruschi had less physical talent that Mayo, but that guy knew where to be and when.  In the big, critical spots, you knew that Bruschi was going to be right where he needed to be.  He had some great instincts and his talent was developed along the way. 

Mayo has the raw tools, but thus far I don't think he's had the instincts to make those big, big plays.  I think Mayo is a good player, but along with mthurl, I kind of expect a bit more from such a highly drafted player.  Is he terrible?  HECK NO!  Am I glad we have him? Sure thing...absolutely!  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect and want a bit more from a player taken at #10.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Did you not read the title? 

Did you?  Try again.  No use of the word GARBAGE.....anywhere.  I just don't think he's that good. 

Hopefully someday he'll get better and so will our 3rd down defense.  I'm pulling for the guy because he plays for my New England Patriots.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He plays in the position BB puts him in which is guarding the 2nd level. BB doesn't use him as a blitzer or to shoot gaps. As such he has been a very stable and consistent player. He had one bad game this year (by his stats) but every game he's usually in the right position to limit big gains when players get into the box. Just because he doesn't have highlight reel tackles doesn't make him an less valuable to the D then someone like Spikes and if you can't see that then you need to go back and understand the game a little better. But, if you have any question former players on both FL network and ESPN had him as a top 3 ILB last year and a top 10 LB this year. Now I wish he had Bruschi's ability to turn it up a notch in the most crucial situations but I would also say Mayo is much more consistent play to play then Bruschi was. The difference is you never remember consistency but you always remember the big plays. But other then that he quietly leads the league in tackles and #4 in FF's by an LB

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He plays in the position BB puts him in which is guarding the 2nd level. BB doesn't use him as a blitzer or to shoot gaps. As such he has been a very stable and consistent player. He had one bad game this year (by his stats) but every game he's usually in the right position to limit big gains when players get into the box. Just because he doesn't have highlight reel tackles doesn't make him an less valuable to the D then someone like Spikes and if you can't see that then you need to go back and understand the game a little better. But, if you have any question former players on both FL network and ESPN had him as a top 3 ILB last year and a top 10 LB this year. Now I wish he had Bruschi's ability to turn it up a notch in the most crucial situations but I would also say Mayo is much more consistent play to play then Bruschi was. The difference is you never remember consistency but you always remember the big plays. But other then that he quietly leads the league in tackles and #4 in FF's by an LB

1) Love how the Rusty types always resort to some type of insult based posting, that's so adult.

2) So even the experts have him regressing!!  Football players are not the brightest bulbs in the ceiling so their opinions mean nothing, show me stats.  Remember it's football players that just voted BB the most overrated coach.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

1) Love how the Rusty types always resort to some type of insult based posting, that's so adult.

2) So even the experts have him regressing!!  Football players are not the brightest bulbs in the ceiling so their opinions mean nothing, show me stats.  Remember it's football players that just voted BB the most overrated coach.

Are you really calling me a Rusty type? I also didn't insult you, if you don't understand the concept of complimentary football and how players interact with each other (see Mayo's play) then you would call a top end player not that good. Telling you to go back and understand the game better is a recommendation because you don't seem to see Mayo's value to this team. But, I suppose that the large contract by BB doesn't mean anything to you either. BTW, if you feel you know the game better then former players that is comical, esp since you seem to dismiss the stats the he leads the league in tackles and is 4th in FF's by LB's. There are your stats

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts