Mayo not a starter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Mayo not a starter

And his only contribution was a Major league whiff.  The warnings were put out last year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Mayo not a starter

I just don't get the love for this guy that he receives on this board - if one guy can complain about Brady, this guy deserves 100 times the complaining. Over ran that play for a 60 yard gain on an important 3rd down...how many times am I going to watch this guy almost make a play? I've been watching this crap for four years. If he is not the most overrated player on this team, I don't know who is. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I just don't get the love for this guy that he receives on this board - if one guy can complain about Brady, this guy deserves 100 times the complaining. Over ran that play for a 60 yard gain on an important 3rd down...how many times am I going to watch this guy almost make a play? I've been watching this crap for four years. If he is not the most overrated player on this team, I don't know who is. 

It's funny how some posters on the game thread were talking up Reggie Bush like he is the greatest RB to ever play the game.  I guess that's what happens when your in Mayo denial mode. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Bush Looked like Barry Sanders against Mayo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Sigh.

"Defense Wins Championships"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

LOL damn I wish you could simply wish for something and have it come true. Love the consistency Tcal.

I was saying to the people around me when that play happened I bet $1mil this dude Tcal will write a post about this play and Mayo tonight. Ha, brilliant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Patriots just got pasted 40-9, let's blame one player... brilliant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I heard Ninko sux too. Somebody tell the coach already.

"Defense Wins Championships"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

LOL damn I wish you could simply wish for something and have it come true. Love the consistency Tcal.

I was saying to the people around me when that play happened I bet $1mil this dude Tcal will write a post about this play and Mayo tonight. Ha, brilliant.

lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

It's what they do.  They scour the roster, usually on D, to deflect from other things that surround Brady or Brady's offense.

They got lit up 2 years go just like that losing 34-10. No one cares about scores in preseason except for TCal.

He's the first dork here to excuse Brady in January, too. LOL

[/QUOTE]

Whatever Weirdo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I would not consider myself a Mayo apoligist, but to say he is not a starter is ridiculous. Chasing players sideline to sideline is not and never will be one of his strengths. However, in general, I think the Pat's linebackers struggle in pass coverage overall. Watch Spikes on the Scheffler TD, he goes running up at a half-hearted run fake leaving the entire middle of the field open inside the 10 yard-line. 

The screen pass to Bush is great play by Stafford. Look at it again, the Patriots blitz Gregory leaving man coverage with McCourty over the top. Stafford manages to slide just enough to his right to get away from Gregory and get the ball to Bush through a crowd. Adrian Wilson takes a terrible angle and overruns the play when Mayo is already forcing it back inside. The one thing I would to see is how deep McCourty was playing at the snap as the play is across the 50-yard line before he is in the picture.

There is another swing pass to push out of the backfield where Talib whiffs on the tackle (I love him in coverage - I am not sold on him as an open field tackler - I think he is at his best manned up on the other teams best WR), Hightower gets knocked down, and Spikes ends up piling on from behind about 13 yards down field.

Who would you start over Mayo? Collins, Fletcher, Tarpanian?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

That's what Rusty does after every loss.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

It's what they do.  They scour the roster, usually on D, to deflect from other things that surround Brady or Brady's offense.

They got lit up 2 years go just like that losing 34-10. No one cares about scores in preseason except for TCal.

He's the first dork here to excuse Brady in January, too. LOL

Whatever Weirdo

Interesting.^^

Enables TCal and his thread.

[/QUOTE]

TC used to tolerate you. But you have even alienated him with your insanity.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Last night Mayo was one of the guys that I tried to focus on.  I agree that he over pursued on Bush and was principally responsible for Bush getting to the outside for a big gainer.  Apart from that I didn't see him involved in much.  I believe he's credited with .5 tackles.  I've never been a critic of Mayo and, overall, think he is a very good to occasionally excellent LB.  But last night he did not play like it.  That said, I'm not prepared to draw any conclusions beyond that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Everybody chill on Mayo. He gets smoked on one play and people want to hanging him up by his gonads! Nonsense

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

It was a bad play by Mayo....but it was ONE play.  I agree the guy is not all-world but he is one of the best defenders on the team.  (not sure if thats a pat on the back for him, or speaks to the overall quality of the defense.....)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Detroit made it look easy last night.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I just think plain and simple that if you're being paid 40 million dollars to play linebacker for this team, and you're supposed to be a difference maker (on a defense that sorely needs them), we need you to be a star. You need to be at a Vince Wilfork level in terms of an impact. There is too many guys running around on this defense that are just not good enough, we saw what adding a couple of very good players can do to a defense (Dennard and Talib). We saw what drafting the right defensive end (Jones) means to a pass rush and what drafting the wrong defensive end (Bequette) looks like. I just want to see Mayo move as soon as that ball is snapped, headed in the right direction. I just want to see him get to the edge and bring down that ball carrier. I want to see him cover better...I don't want to keep seeing him make the same mistakes over and over again.

We need him and others to play outstanding this year - the offense is going to struggle at times, the defense needs to win games for us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Yeah, Mayo should've been there to recover the fumble when Vereen and Sudfeld coughed up the ball.  And he should've been available to fill in at OL in a pinch when they continually got steamrolled by the Detroit DL.  It's all his fault! 

Prediction: this year we'll have a weekly Mayo update, and he will be called "terrible" in losses and "not good enough" in wins.  The man will get no quarter with some of you, even if his most obvious flaw is that he can't live up to the expectations you have set for him as a player picked in the top 1/3 of the 1st round.  If the Pats released him tomorrow, there would be 30+ teams lined up to talk to him. 

The whole squad gets a Mulligan for last's night's collective failure of an effort. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Looks like he's running in wet concrete or quick sand. Horrible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

And you are the most offensive and arrogant. I wish I were as smart as Crusty. I am, but don't try to impress it on this board. Giving up nearly 400 yards of passing must stick in your craw. Face it, physicality verses softies= loss.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

That's my alma mater you're talking about. Easy Gus.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I would not consider myself a Mayo apoligist, but to say he is not a starter is ridiculous. Chasing players sideline to sideline is not and never will be one of his strengths. However, in general, I think the Pat's linebackers struggle in pass coverage overall. Watch Spikes on the Scheffler TD, he goes running up at a half-hearted run fake leaving the entire middle of the field open inside the 10 yard-line. 

The screen pass to Bush is great play by Stafford. Look at it again, the Patriots blitz Gregory leaving man coverage with McCourty over the top. Stafford manages to slide just enough to his right to get away from Gregory and get the ball to Bush through a crowd. Adrian Wilson takes a terrible angle and overruns the play when Mayo is already forcing it back inside. The one thing I would to see is how deep McCourty was playing at the snap as the play is across the 50-yard line before he is in the picture.

There is another swing pass to push out of the backfield where Talib whiffs on the tackle (I love him in coverage - I am not sold on him as an open field tackler - I think he is at his best manned up on the other teams best WR), Hightower gets knocked down, and Spikes ends up piling on from behind about 13 yards down field.

Who would you start over Mayo? Collins, Fletcher, Tarpanian?

what? chasing sideline to sideline is his strength. Mayo has neer been a LB that pressures the QB or excels in pass coverage, but he is a tackling machine between the sidelines. is that worth his salary? every player is going to miss on a tackle some time, but season after season, this guy has been one of the leagues leading tackler. I have no problem with his play, but anyone looking for double digit sacks or int's...Mayo is not that guy.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

And his only contribution was a Major league whiff.  The warnings were put out last year. 

I thing the biggest dissapointment was when Spikes was in the same position later, he was able to corral Bush for a minimal gain and he is the one who is supposed to S*ck in coverage.

I hope everyone was happy with this potential # 1 DEFENSE Bwahhaaaa. Adrian wilson looked OLD and Rusty and Like he never went to a pro bowl. If this front seven doesnt ball out, out back end is gonna be exposed. Wilson looks like he is gonna cut!  Wow...

Sections
Shortcuts