Mayo not a starter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Mayo not a starter

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I would not consider myself a Mayo apoligist, but to say he is not a starter is ridiculous. Chasing players sideline to sideline is not and never will be one of his strengths. However, in general, I think the Pat's linebackers struggle in pass coverage overall. Watch Spikes on the Scheffler TD, he goes running up at a half-hearted run fake leaving the entire middle of the field open inside the 10 yard-line. 

The screen pass to Bush is great play by Stafford. Look at it again, the Patriots blitz Gregory leaving man coverage with McCourty over the top. Stafford manages to slide just enough to his right to get away from Gregory and get the ball to Bush through a crowd. Adrian Wilson takes a terrible angle and overruns the play when Mayo is already forcing it back inside. The one thing I would to see is how deep McCourty was playing at the snap as the play is across the 50-yard line before he is in the picture.

There is another swing pass to push out of the backfield where Talib whiffs on the tackle (I love him in coverage - I am not sold on him as an open field tackler - I think he is at his best manned up on the other teams best WR), Hightower gets knocked down, and Spikes ends up piling on from behind about 13 yards down field.

Who would you start over Mayo? Collins, Fletcher, Tarpanian?

This is a problem then. He did his rookie year and he has the speed and smarts to do it. He has been like this since his 2nd year. Instead of running into the ball carrier, he overuns which is ok if someone if there for the cutback, but he needs to make that play sometimes instead of overunning it. Spikes played it correctly by staying on the outside shoulder and not giving up your leverage. Going past Bush and allowing him to cut back was honestly a rookie move.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The Patriots just got pasted 40-9, let's blame one player... brilliant.

Agreed...they stunk out the joint, all of them except Thompkins...a team wide failure..Mayo's brain freeze only one of about 250.

One thing they better do is obtain 2 better interior DL backups BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

The Patriots just got pasted 40-9, let's blame one player... brilliant.

Agreed...they stunk out the joint, all of them except Thompkins...a team wide failure..Mayo's brain freeze only one of about 250.

One thing they better do is obtain 2 better interior DL backups BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!!

Why? I was told Grissom and Fortson were UPgrades over Love and Deaderick!  Ahem(Wozzy)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I would not consider myself a Mayo apoligist, but to say he is not a starter is ridiculous. Chasing players sideline to sideline is not and never will be one of his strengths. However, in general, I think the Pat's linebackers struggle in pass coverage overall. Watch Spikes on the Scheffler TD, he goes running up at a half-hearted run fake leaving the entire middle of the field open inside the 10 yard-line. 

The screen pass to Bush is great play by Stafford. Look at it again, the Patriots blitz Gregory leaving man coverage with McCourty over the top. Stafford manages to slide just enough to his right to get away from Gregory and get the ball to Bush through a crowd. Adrian Wilson takes a terrible angle and overruns the play when Mayo is already forcing it back inside. The one thing I would to see is how deep McCourty was playing at the snap as the play is across the 50-yard line before he is in the picture.

There is another swing pass to push out of the backfield where Talib whiffs on the tackle (I love him in coverage - I am not sold on him as an open field tackler - I think he is at his best manned up on the other teams best WR), Hightower gets knocked down, and Spikes ends up piling on from behind about 13 yards down field.

He actually didn't start last night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

[QUOTE]

He actually didn't start last night.

[/QUOTE]

Nor did Wilfork, in that case. What's your opinion of him?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Nor did Wilfork, in that case. What's your opinion of him?

Wilfork didn't play.  You do see the difference....right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

If the D-line and secondary do their jobs Mayo will excel.   Part of his role is to call out coverages and get people in the right positions.  IMO he does that well. 

But no LB is going to star if he's asked to rush the passer with no gap, or cover a RB, TE, WR for an extra second or two due to bad pressure from the D-line.  If Kelly is playing well and Jones improves over last year Mayo will absolutely be no problem.

When he "looks bad" it's usually symptomatic of a problem elsewhere on the defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

147 tackles, 3 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 1 recovered, 1 interception last season..

Ya, I guess he's not starter material... lmao

I seen Brady throw a bad pic yesterday. I guess he shouldn't be starting either. I watched Revis get burnt by Moss a few years ago I guess he's terrible and shouldn't start either. I watched Urlacher whiff on a running Brady some years back, Guess he shouldn't have been starting either.

And so on and so on..

I enjoy reading many of the post on this board all the time but when I see the crap you write I usually skip it. Non stop negative nancy.

This is the same guy that rips Devin Mcourty all the time as well as Nink and many others.
    I put no stock in you're posts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

It's the PRE-SEASON sports fans!  Y'all need to chill and stop sounding like little girls

in the school yard pointing at the girl  with the ugly dress...