Mayo on Pace for 208 Tackles.. Are you kidding me?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Mayo on Pace for 208 Tackles.. Are you kidding me?

This guy is cranking away and I'm sure his team mates are helping him achieve these numbers so I'll give them some credit too but 200+ tackles if he makes that mark is sick. I believe Mike Reiss uses the the Coaching staffs numbers( Which are more accurate) after they review the game film and not the Official box score.

Here is the Blog entry:

Patriots inside linebacker Jerod Mayo, who was credited by coaches with 19 tackles in last Sunday's win over the Ravens, is on pace for a 208-tackle season.

That is a statistic that jumps off the page.

Mayo's tackle stats have spiked over the last two games as he has broken a Week 3 tie with safety Patrick Chung to take a decisive lead on the tackle leaderboard (based on coaches' film review):

LB Jerod Mayo -- 65 tackles (43 solo, 22 assisted)
    S Patrick Chung -- 44 tackles (31 solo, 13 assisted)
    ILB Brandon Spikes -- 33 tackles (20 solo, 13 assisted)
    CB Devin McCourty -- 26 tackles (20 solo, 6 assisted)
    OLB Rob Ninkovich -- 25 tackles (16 solo, 9 assisted)
    CB Kyle Arrington -- 23 tackles (17 solo, 6 assisted)
    DL Vince Wilfork -- 23 tackles (12 solo, 11 assisted)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Mayo on Pace for 208 Tackles.. Are you kidding me?

I tried to look up a Record for tackles and it's not completely official but Post 1970 it looks like Hardy Nickerson with 214 for Tampa Bay in 1993. Not a bad number to shoot for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

There was a stretch where Jessie Tuggle posted 183, 201, 207, 193, and 185 between 1989 and 1993.

Truly and amazing "prime" for the guy. 

His 1990 season as an ILB was off the hook. 5 sacks, 3 FF, one INT, and 201 tackles. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Wow, that'd be something if he could beat that record. This shows how good a job Spikes, in particular, is doing. This was his job from the beginning: demand enough attention to free up Mayo.

Mayo also had a torn MCL last year so I heard he finally got his brace off after week 2-3. That explains why he was a step slower. Although I did love the fans piling on to Mayo without knowing that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Amazing what adding another power type MLB, Spikes, does to free up Mayo who is more of a sideline to sideline type guy vs spikes who is in your face.  Great combo of MLBs, change of pace Guyton for added speed and this is as good as it gets. 

Can't wait to get more consistent play from the OLBs, it will command more attention from OL and TEs which will mean more space for Mayo and Spikes to make plays.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Mayo has even been better in coverage this season as well. It is a stretch to think any 34 MLB will make a living against modern TEs, but he has held his own in spots. And that is all you really are looking for there. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Mayo on Pace for 208 Tackles.. Are you kidding me?:
    [QUOTE]Wow, that'd be something if he could beat that record. This shows how good a job Spikes, in particular, is doing. This was his job from the beginning: demand enough attention to free up Mayo. Mayo also had a torn MCL last year so I heard he finally got his brace off after week 2-3. That explains why he was a step slower. Although I did love the fans piling on to Mayo without knowing that.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. Spikes and also the D-line is responsible for sucking up blockers so the Spikes and Mayo can get those righteous numbers. Just numbers but they give me more reasons to be optimistic and things to keep an eye on as the season moves on.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Amazing what adding another power type MLB, Spikes, does to free up Mayo who is more of a sideline to sideline type guy vs spikes who is in your face.  Great combo of MLBs, change of pace Guyton for added speed and this is as good as it gets.  Can't wait to get more consistent play from the OLBs, it will command more attention from OL and TEs which will mean more space for Mayo and Spikes to make plays.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I'm almost convinced Cunningham is going to be a Monster. Ninkovich has played pretty well also. By the End of the year we could be in pretty good shape.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Mayo has even been better in coverage this season as well. It is a stretch to think any 34 MLB will make a living against modern TEs, but he has held his own in spots. And that is all you really are looking for there. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they seem to be tightening up on the over the middle Pass D a little more with every game.  We have the speed and now the football smarts part of the defense is starting to kick in too.

Jessie Tuggle was awesome and as a linebacker you certainly earned your paycheck back then going against the 49ers and Rams twice a year each as well as the rest of NFC in those days.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Hey leona have you heard of Veron Gholston? probably not he has a whopping 4 tackles for the year. LOL! 4 tackles LOL

how are ya

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Heres my conclusion:

Spikes= Collision-Blows plays up
    Wilfork= Huge-Multiple blockers
    Cunningham= Edge-Shortens the field

All three of them doing their job equal Mayo-tackle

When all else fail we have Chung in mop up duty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Just another BB busted draft pick...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Just another BB busted draft pick...
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Yeah Champ, Imagine if he actually knew how to draft.We'd be unstoppable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

S-T-F-U  Donnie

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Isn't this kind of a double edged sword?  The reason he has the oppurtunity to get so many tackles is because the Pats have been horrendous (except for the last half of last weeks game) in stopping 3rd downs.  Every fresh set of downs means 4 or more tackles can be made. If they were getting 3 and outs than he would have far fewer tackles, and the defense would be much better.

Leading the team in tackles is impressive, leading the league says something about your defense.  The top guys in tackles last year were

Willis, SF
    Ruud, TB
    Fletcher, WSH
    Beason, CAR

None of them played for a winning team.  Not trying to rain on your parade, I just think it's not the best indicator of much other than being the best player on a defense that has struggled.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't this kind of a double edged sword?  The reason he has the oppurtunity to get so many tackles is because the Pats have been horrendous (except for the last half of last weeks game) in stopping 3rd downs.  Every fresh set of downs means 4 or more tackles can be made. If they were getting 3 and outs than he would have far fewer tackles, and the defense would be much better. Leading the team in tackles is impressive, leading the league says something about your defense.  The top guys in tackles last year were Willis, SF Ruud, TB Fletcher, WSH Beason, CAR None of them played for a winning team.  Not trying to rain on your parade, I just think it's not the best indicator of much other than being the best player on a defense that has struggled.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Not a bad point but I still like him and he's tackling everything in sight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Waitress: Sir, if you don't calm down I'm going to have to ask you to leave.
    Walter: Lady, I got buddies who died face-down in the muck so you and I could enjoy this nice family restaurant!