Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension

This from Adam Schefter Patriots signed Pro-Bowl LB Jerod Mayo to a 5-year contract extension today. More on special Saturday edition of NFL Countdown @ 11 am.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension

Good

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

excellent! he is a major player in our defense and i hope he retires a pat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

If you switch the name Mayo with GRONK I would be so happy I'd P myself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension:
    [QUOTE]If you switch the name Mayo with GRONK I would be so happy I'd P myself.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE] Don't fret GRONK isn't going too leave!!! Even after Brady hangs them up they'll have Mallett or another top rated QB,BB gets the whole QB driven league thing!!!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder what the annual salary is? Hopefully it's not as high as 10 mil per.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Don't worry Rusty, you won't have to pay it.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Great news.  Love Mayo and his leadership.  Just hope he can stay healthier the remainder of his career.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Love the Mayo signing, however I agree with tcal. I would rather see Welker's or Gronk's name in the headline for a new contract. However, maybe Mayo can put some more effort into his game now that he has a guaranteed long term contract. His play has been down, I don't know if this contract talk has distracted him, but he needs to up his level of play to help this team some more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

good, great leader on and off the field. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

In response to "Re: Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension": [QUOTE]I wonder what the annual salary is? Hopefully it's not as high as 10 mil per. Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE] The fact that it got done so quickly, i would expect patriots to have not overpaid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

In response to "Re: Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension : Good grief. He got hurt.  His play has not "been down" at all. He's looked much healthier the last 2 weeks. Been doing a much better job making the calls and leading the LBs (vs Guyton) since he returned. We could have used him in Pitt.  Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE] I would rather have him in playoffs vs pitt. he will be a difference maker...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension : Oh, I worry.   Brady, Mankins and now Mayo all make far, far more than they did 2 years ago, Welker is up next, Gronk is a beast and the cap is lower than what it was 2 years ago. I don't think it goes much until 2014.  So, yeah, I worry.  David HArris was overpaid, so I hope it's not 10 mil per.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

I wonder what the plan is with Welker now. They have Gronk for two more years at least (more if they use the franchise tag on him down the road), but Welker is an issue. I wonder what his looking for in terms of years/money. He will be 31 next season and I wonder if he is looking for something longer than the Patriots are willing to give out at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension": The fact that it got done so quickly, i would expect patriots to have not overpaid.
    Posted by SANPATT[/QUOTE]

+1

And Gronk is signed for two more years anyways. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Nice, glad they signed a solid young player to an extension - hopefully at a team friendly level.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Nice, glad they signed a solid young player to an extension - hopefully at a team friendly level.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

5 year deal before the season ended, Pats Organization, ... def. a team friendly deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Gronk's still has 2 years left after this year. Plenty of time. I think they will try to take care of him next year.

But I'm very glad they are using the 7mil cap space to extend some players. Hopefully they can get Welker and Carter done next

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mayo signed to 5 yr contract extension : Don't fret GRONK isn't going too leave!!! Even after Brady hangs them up they'll have Mallett or another top rated QB,BB gets the whole QB driven league thing!!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Ugh, you do know that Mallet has never thrown a regular season pass right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Lets lock up Gronk. Say 10 years 75mil 40 guaranteed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

that is exaclty what i said on another thread!

hey,
    how much $, id rather have added 5 years on gronk today
    (but i know mayo is bb's son according to the rest of the team).

dont think mayo is a top lb, so i hope it was very reasonable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Gronk is a year and a half into a five year contract, I doubt they are even thinking about an extension right now. Probably his fourth year is when it gets serious.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Glad to see BB locking up the decent players on this defense early.  Last thing we need are situations like the Samuel situation a few years ago.  We still haven't recovered fully from that.  It's too hard to find talented players--we need to get the good ones signed early before we risk losing them because we have way too many holes to fill.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Wow, this was an under the radar signing. I thought this thread would have had more posts.

I am glad they locked him up, but like Rusty I am curious as to how much they paid him.  He is a leader here and very solid. Also he is making plays.

Does anyone find it strange that Mayo got his extension after his getting his first and second INT's in back to back weeks?

I think it could be 2 things.

They could be thinking "ok, this guy is finally making the plays we want, lets pay him now"

or it could be "this guy is making plays, lets lock him up before he does anything else and makes it harder for us to resign him"

My personal take is that the Pats were gonna make Mayo sweat it out and let him see the market wasnt great for a thumping Middle backer, but after he started to make plays they decided to do it now rather then wait and have his value go up later.

In any event, glad he is here for another 5. I have talked about him a couple times this year but only cuz I know he has the potential to be a playmaker and its showing now and I am happy. Good for him!