Mayo Smokescreen????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Mayo Smokescreen????

Okay, before I get a million people telling me how I'm an idiot, I do acknowledge that this is a long shot, but here goes.

1. We all saw the Mayo injury. It really didn't look bad. Certainly nowhere near as bad as Polamlu's (sp?). Then he gets up, limps for a bit, and then walks off the field without a limp. According to the Herald (which is suspect, but let's give the new guy some slack) he tells a teammate that it is nothing serious.

2. The next day we hear a report that it is a Grade III MCL sprain, which is basically a tear and puts him out half the season. Another report says its not as bad as that.

3. We all know how tightlipped the Pats are with reporting injuries. So it's suspicious that this comes out at all. Is it a plant? At this point, it seems like a leak.

4. But here is where it gets somewhat weird. Mayo is spotted in the locker room with crutches and a brace. From years of following the Patriots religiously, guys that are out are out. They are not in the locker room. They are ghosts. Now Brady was a different story because everyone knew he was out for the year, but it was always my impression that guys who were going to miss games would never show up in the locker room as it takes away from the whole "we are the team we put on the field" attitude that the Pats have had over the years.

5. My theory? The grade III MCL sprain diagnosis is BS. It is a grade I or II. Mayo will be listed as not having participated in any practices this week, but will be listed as doubtful on Friday. Sunday they test him and he likely won't play. But I think there is a 10% that I am right and, if so, this will tell me that the injury is not as serious as we think and he may only miss 2-4 weeks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Mayo Smokescreen????

We can wish cant we....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In a word....doubtful

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

if Mayo is back by the bye I'll be happy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

You think injured players aren't in the locker room?? Mayo is being treated by the Patriots medical and training staff, so of course he is going to be in the team's facilities during his recovery.  I wish you were right, but there's no way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: Mayo Smokescreen????:
    [QUOTE]You think injured players aren't in the locker room?? Mayo is being treated by the Patriots medical and training staff, so of course he is going to be in the team's facilities during his recovery.  I wish you were right, but there's no way.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

Not during media availability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea to say there is no way is just stupid of course there is a chance. Even if just a slim chance there is still a chance. Belichick is a sneaky guy and he could be playing this up for the media.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I mean, I didn't think it was that bad either but if he's not at practice it's not a smokescreen.  A smokescreen would be if they dressed Mayo for the game but didn't play him.  I think Belichick wanted Mayo to be the staple of the defense and this is exactly what he was hoping wouldn't happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

And someone on another thread was suggesting that they were sick of the Ryan antics.

When local fans are posting about whether or not an injury is what it is (very Bill Clinton like, eh), antics have fully penetrated the brains of those not even in the know.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I have no doubt we fans aren't getting the real details of this injury.    But I agree that it's probably not as serious as reported.   Mayo should be back in no time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

If we bring in another LB, it is serious.  If we don't, BB doesn't expect him to lose many weeks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I useally have no problem with Underdogg but for whatever reason everytime i read one of his post today I just want to go off on him. In his last post he yet again was trying to say that we falsify our injury reports now the league just fined teh Jets a lot of money for doing exactly that but yet the NE Pats have never once been fined for such a thing. So again Underdogg pull your head out of your a ss you cant back up anything you say.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

He won't come back until after the bye at the earliest. Week 10 or 11 is more likely probably.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J109. Show J109's posts

Isn't it funny how many medical experts there on line, they are so good they can diagnose an injured knee without seeing the patient and even better predict recovery time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

It's a loose conjecture based on shoddy evidence, but if your guesses are correct, then the logic holds up.

I'd love to see Mayo fully capable of playing this Sunday, and see him crush Leon Washington (and possibly Sanchez, if Wright, Banta-Cain, and company haven't already).

But if he really is injured, I'd prefer to see him fully healed than see him back in 3-6 weeks, then out for the season.  

As always, the Patriots will have to find a way.  I remember 2003 & 2004 when we couldn't keep guys healthy for more than 4wks at a time, and we won a Super Bowl with Earthwind Moreland at cornerback.  You could do worse than an inexperienced Gary Guyton.  Hopefully Guyton will rise to the occasion.  At least it's a rookie quarterback.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

On a side note, knee injuries don't always look as serious as they are.  Some look like knee injuries, but I know a lot of people who tear ACL's doing everyday things, like working out or playing intramural volleyball.

I think this not-as-bad-as-people-are-making-it-out-to-be-injury scenario is only possible if the Patriots REALLY want to stick it to the Jets.

There are, however, too many uncertainties in your logic here.  We'll see on Sunday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It's funny, When Mayo went out on monday he was listed as doubtful to return, but Polamalu and Urlacher were listed as out. I thought the Mayo's injury would be less detrimental than Polamau's, but Mayo will be out longer. The only upside to his injury is that Mayo will be back to take on Satan Manning and the Indy hoax.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

He's the future of their LB corp.....they aren't going to take chances on his future and rush him back, regardless of how bad it is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: Mayo Smokescreen????:
    [QUOTE]On a side note, knee injuries don't always look as serious as they are.  Some look like knee injuries, but I know a lot of people who tear ACL's doing everyday things, like working out or playing intramural volleyball. I think this not-as-bad-as-people-are-making-it-out-to-be-injury scenario is only possible if the Patriots REALLY want to stick it to the Jets. There are, however, too many uncertainties in your logic here.  We'll see on Sunday.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]
    Very true. Anthony Gonzalez on the Colts tore his PCL and he wasn't even touched. The guy just dropped to the ground.

There are some reports saying that it isn't as bad as initially thought (6-8 weeks), but I wouldn't be surprised if he's out 3 - 6 weeks. At this point all we can really do is hope you are right.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Anyone who follows this team should well know that we as fans will never know the true extent to any injury...unless it's a season ending one. The media has reported conflicting reports ranging from missing a week or two to being out for the season. They don't know, either! I trust the team medical staff to make sure he's healed before letting him play again. Bill won't give anyone a definitive answer, that's just his way. So there are really only two things which might indicate how bad this injury truly is. One is if they put him on IR. That erases all doubts, and is final. Two, if they decide to sign another ILB. If that happens I suspect Mayo will ne out for at least eight games or so. If neither of these things happen, I'd have to think we could see him any time between now and Thanksgiving. You cannot judge a knee injury by what you see on TV. We all remember Brady walking off the field a year ago. All we can do is watch the practices to see if Mayo gets out there, and to what extent. Still, if there is any doubt, I'd rather they held him out so that he could possibly return for a playoff run. I'm hoping we'll see him by the Colts game, but anyone's guess is as good as mine. The only people who know for sure are definately not going to be giving out that information!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Not saying he plays this weekend. I just think the 6-8 weeks is BS and that we will know more today if he is listed as doubtful. That will tell me closer to 2-4 weeks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Having sprained my knees several times over the years and still never needing a cast/brace, I cannot imagine him returning so soon if he really does need one.  Maybe it is a ruse, but I've never seen BB do this before.  I think the guy is really hurt and will need some time.  I would not be surprised if he misses the next two months.

Shame for him.  But to look at the silver lining, what helped the Pats in 2001/2003/2004 were all the injuries creating situations for non-starters to get valuable experience in time for the post-season, while having most of the injured starters reading by the P/S, too. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Seymour had the same injury in week 16 against the Jets in 2004. He was back for the Super Bowl. Six weeks.

Bruschi had a sprained knee in the 2003 AFC Title game. He was back for the Super Bowl. Two weeks.

Anyone remember how long Seymour missed in 2005?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xyxy225. Show xyxy225's posts

It is not that unusual for players with leg injuries to walk off the field. It doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. That said, the Patriots have played people for suckers all preseason -- telling reporters David Thomas was having a great camp and then settling for a 7th round pick for him (they were obviously trying to hype his trade value from the start) and then Ben Watson playing with the third string and then starting Sunday and looking pretty damn good.

Sections
Shortcuts