Mayo Update?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Mayo Update?

Has he been injured and if so will he be OK for the playoffs? Maybe I'm the only one to notice but he completely disappeared the last 3 games (18.75% of the season).  Seems like something happened after that All Pro performance against Texas where he had Zero Sack and Zero Forced Fumbles.  I believe he was like 3rd or 4th in tackles last game. 

I hope he's OK because we need him to show up in big games.  After all he was a top 10 pick who got a huge contract.  My fingers are crossed. 

Thank God he's not Brady, who gets crucified on this board for not scoring every possession and not closing out every game.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Mayo Update?

mayo played pretty well on sunday imo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sorry but this sustained lack of production concerns me.  It's not like we have a great defense that can easily mask a missing piece, especially one as important as a LB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Mayo last game = 6 tackles, 1 sack and 1 FF...

Sigh, oh TCal, are you still mad at Mayo because he couldn't cover Reggie Bush? Because I want you to show me a LB that can. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

My bad, that was the week 13 game, but the point still remains. Show me one that can defend Bush...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry but this sustained lack of production concerns me.  It's not like we have a great defense that can easily mask a missing piece, especially one as important as a LB.

[/QUOTE]

i really dont know what you expect from mayo, he isnt a big playmaker. he is a good tackler and is solid in pass coverage when needed. i like mayo because he actually tackles instead of just hitting people or arm tackling like many NFL defenders do, including the patriots at times.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Mind you, none of the LBers lit up the stat book last game. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the defense as a whole played great against the dolphins, tough to nitpick alot from that game. i thought it was good to see the defense pitch a shutout and even better to see gronk out there catching a td and spiking the ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think he struggles on the outside. Period. Inside he's fine - just run up the gut, take on a blocker, shed it and tackle the guy. Outside there's more ground for him to cover and decisions need to be made quickly -he starts to think, a tight end gets a hold of him and the back runs right on by. Or he waits to long and the back is on the outside (with Mayo just missing it). Happens a lot more than people care to admit around here. And lets not forget he is not a very good coverage linebacker either.

He needs to play that outside position much better than he has...he is our highest paid linebacker. No more excuses.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mayo last game = 6 tackles, 1 sack and 1 FF...

Sigh, oh TCal, are you still mad at Mayo because he couldn't cover Reggie Bush? Because I want you to show me a LB that can. 

[/QUOTE]

Yikes!!  Looks like you're listing the Stats of someone who actually showed up 49.

Actual Stats:

3 solo tackles, No sacks, No forced fumbles.

What really concerned me was the last play of the 1st half where he got sucked in on the screen pass that went over his head for 14 yards.  Lucky time ran out.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What a shock. Only Mt Hurl comes in to be over the top critical of a defensive player.

Gee, guys, do you think you'll make excuses for Tom Brady in this postseason again?

Or, is it "no more excuses" for Tommy in January and February this year also?  Hmm?

[/QUOTE]

I know! He's a starter on defense and heaven forbid we be critical of that! I mean, how could a starter have trouble with 20 yards of grass that he is supposed to be covering?

Think about this for a second...there is not one single person in all of NE - or the country, for that matter - that blames Brady. It's just you. That make sense?? Think about that for a second. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

Let it go

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This thread is about Mayo's healty not for bashing the greatest QB to ever play the game.  Take your Brady bashing to a Jets board where simple minded people will agree with you.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Actually this thread is really a veiled attempt at bashing Mayo! Aside from the fact he is learning a new position for the Pats, he is still the best/most versatile LB the team has. 

This thread begs the question, "what did Mayo do to you? Steal your lunch money?"

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually this thread is really a veiled attempt at bashing Mayo! Aside from the fact he is learning a new position for the Pats, he is still the best/most versatile LB the team has. 

This thread begs the question, "what did Mayo do to you? Steal your lunch money?"

[/QUOTE]

I'm not bashing anyone just wondering if an injury is responsible for a severe drop off in play. 

At this point I personally would rank Hightower above Mayo as being our best LB.  The kid has been outstanding and getting no credit from this board.  I only see Buffers making excuses for Mayo......Why? " You owe him money?"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

BB did not gameplan much at all for Jax or Miami

[/QUOTE]

What you personally talke to BB and he told this strategy?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCRich. Show BDCRich's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What a shock. Only Mt Hurl comes in to be over the top critical of a defensive player.

Gee, guys, do you think you'll make excuses for Tom Brady in this postseason again?

Or, is it "no more excuses" for Tommy in January and February this year also?  Hmm?

[/QUOTE]

I know! He's a starter on defense and heaven forbid we be critical of that! I mean, how could a starter have trouble with 20 yards of grass that he is supposed to be covering?

Think about this for a second...there is not one single person in all of NE - or the country, for that matter - that blames Brady. It's just you. That make sense?? Think about that for a second. 

[/QUOTE]

That's false.  I know many people who have asked what's wrong with Brady in recent postseasons, as the data supports.

Take out 2 outlier games (his worst and best Balt in 2009 and Denver in 2011's playoffs) and his overall numbers look like this since 2005 in the posteason:

19 TDs

13 INTs

OUCH

That's bordering on Tony Romo type stuff and we know where is right now.

Every time a troll here tries to focus on a player on this defense, irrationally, I'll be here to remind everyone WHO we REALLY need to pick his game up for us.

[/QUOTE]

For the love of God...you didn't just compare Brady to Romo, now did you? I mean, oh my lord! To even put the two in the same post is ridiculous! Romo is perhaps one the biggest choke artists in NFL history - no one throws a timely interception better than him (aside from maybe Vinnie Testervede). And this is a guy that has some tools at his disposal..probably one of the best tight ends in football, a reciever, a running back...a defense.

You can't even make this stuff up anymore. How does my post about Mayo needing to improve on the outside transcend into a Romo/Brady comparison?? You sure you're a pat's fan?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Who else would you rather have? I'm struggling to find someone who statistically (as that seems to be your barometer of success) has performed better than Mayo this season. 

Mayo:

Tackles: 147

FF: 4

INT: 1

Sacks: 3

P. Willis

Tackles: 120

FF: 2

INT: 2

Sacks: 0.5

N. Bowman

Tackles: 149