Mayo vs Spikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Mayo vs Spikes

Dont wanna gang up on the guy, but he has been absent the last couple weeks. Unless he is injured, I have to call em out as he is the leader of the linebackers. I believe Spikes may be more valuble than him at this time. When Mayo is out, we do ok, but with Spikes out, you can always notice the lack of UMMP! in our defense. Another week with Mayo being a non factor. this time vs the Juag eee Ares! smh. Money well spent huh?  Once again , we will have No one to step up and make plays on defense come playoff time when the rubber meets wood. Brady will be pressured and look bad cuz he is doing it all . the opposing D will hold us to 20 pts while our defense will never get off the field and allow the opposing offense to score over 28 pts. Same ol story...

disclaimer: I know Spikes didnt play well last week either but he had a bad knee and was out position playing Davis in the passing game. A healthy Mayo has done squat in 2 games besides tackling guys 8 yards downfield. WHo makes a bigger impact? Mayo or Spikes! I bet you mayo will disappear  in postseason as usual.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Mayo vs Spikes

they occupy two different spots on defense and are asked to do different things.  Be careful on how you evalute these two.  It's apples and oranges.  Mayo goes into coverage a lot.  Spikes is there for the run and gets beat in pass coverage.  Crazy intincts on runs.  The Pats don't like to blitz either.  Well, there goes a lot of props right there if you're not blitzing. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

you do realize that Mayo is playing within a defense designed to funnel plays to the linebackers. Mayo holds the middle and tackles everything that comes his way. when he blitzes he does a good job. In the other thread about Mayo I asked "would rather have Gholston"?  he was a physical marvel that couldn't play a lick.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think I'm tired of hearing the excuses for this guy...great players don't play like him and even very good players don't. So what is he exactly?

to watch this guy on outside runs is becoming a problem. Getting blocked? Yup, and by just about anyone. Even if he's not getting blocked, he's not getting there. I suppose Spikes is going to improve him in that area? Those are plays 40 million dollar linebackers need to make...he's probably given up 60 yards rushing on the outside in the last two games alone. Never mind what he gives up in coverage. 

i love it! The guy rushes free for two sacks a month ago and people think he's Ray Lewis. Never mind the fact that he didn't jam Foster on one of them and the guy could of easily waltzed into the end zone if their QB didn't play so bad.

it makes me laugh that the same people that lecture us on how well this team is built for depth, make excuses when the backups come in against a terrible offense. You can't have it both ways. Mayo literally needed someone to smudge grass on his shoulder to give the appearance he played yesterday.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't lie. It will not work. No one said he's Ray Lewis.   99% of the board just took umbrage with TCal's premise of him "not being very good".

[/QUOTE]

Just describe to me exactly what he has done good over the last two games...not great, just good. I mean the guy sounds like the nicest guy I've ever heard in interviews, but come on, you can't possibly think he's playing well. Have you watched him try to stop the run on the outside? Inside he's fine with Spikes and Wilfork helping him, but you put him in space and its like he doesn't know where to go and by the time he figures it out there is tightend eating him alive. Guys are not supposed to be able to run to the outside in the NFL...they make it look easy against us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, wouldn't the fact that Rivera or Tracey White  being less talented alongside him be a negative for Mayo? Umm, I think so.

This is like saying Willis wouldn't be affected by Navarro Bowman and/or Brooks missing next to him.

Mayo is brining Hightower along and of course  he misses a very good, impact player in Spikes.

Nice try, though.  I am sure you'll get some of your buddies on here to try to scapegoat him again like TCal did a month ago.

Do you really think BB gameplanned on D yesterday? Seriously?  You claim to know the game and now are using this opp to bash Mayo without Spikes out there and 3 other starters?

[/QUOTE]

Ummm he was flanked by Hightower and Nink the stink, but nice try. White came in on passing downs and did quite a good job I must say.

So whenever the D does bad, BB didnt gameplan??!  LMAO! is this a new twist.?? It aint Freeeking Preseason Rusty!!! Of course he gameplanned. Are you serious?? Go back to bed dude. You are one in a million Crazy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you do realize that Mayo is playing within a defense designed to funnel plays to the linebackers. Mayo holds the middle and tackles everything that comes his way. when he blitzes he does a good job. In the other thread about Mayo I asked "would rather have Gholston"?  he was a physical marvel that couldn't play a lick.

[/QUOTE]

What does Gholston have to do with this? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nothing....everyone was high on him pre-draft and he stunk...just saying Mayo isn't bad as you think

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Mayo is the best linebacker on the team. He also plays outside and Spikes plays inside. The Patriots rarely blitz. There is are a million reasons why Mayo doesn't put up fantasy numbers, however there are more than a handful of articles this year claiming Mayo to be having his best season, and to be one of the best at his position. I just ask the haters out there have any of the four loses came from Spikes not making a play?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nothing....everyone was high on him pre-draft and he stunk...just saying Mayo isn't bad as you think

[/QUOTE]

I was never high on him, and I dont pay attention to the jets. My point with Mayo is, he is getting paid like an all-pro impact backer but really is just a talking machine and never really shows up in big games so I am concerned at this point as to what our defense will be able to do because we are not healthy in the back end and Mayo AND Wilfork havent played that well lately which is a concern to me. I dont think Mayo is bad, I think he is good, just not great and he is being payed as if he is great. I mean maybe its a non story because we have who we have, but its concerning that he dissapears in game(Chris Carter voice)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mayo is the best linebacker on the team. He also plays outside and Spikes plays inside. The Patriots rarely blitz. There is are a million reasons why Mayo doesn't put up fantasy numbers, however there are more than a handful of articles this year claiming Mayo to be having his best season, and to be one of the best at his position. I just ask the haters out there have any of the four loses came from Spikes not making a play?

[/QUOTE]

He does play outside, correct. Have you seen the runs he is giving up on the outside? I'm  not talking little three yarders here - I'm talking about the fifteen yard variety in which our 40 million dollar (best linebacker on the team) is locked up onto some third string tightend. Never mind the screens or passes into the flat in those areas. If he is an outside linebacker he had better figure out a way to stop those things from happening - I get that he's not a natural pass rusher and thus can't expect anything there...I get that you can't expect a linebacker to be good in coverage (although it's hard to buy that one), but I DO expect an outside linebacker to stop outside runs. That is a must have. A must! Outside runs are the hardest thing for a back to do in the NFL (you ever watch Ridley try it? Or how about Benny?) - yet they are made to look easy on us.

When he is defending the middle against the run he is fine - when they ask him to play outside as a linebacker he is being targeted and it's working very well against us. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh no!  Poor Shizzly sees another Pats fan who is not me using context with a Jets draft bust, as Shizzly spent 3 years here praising the Jets front office and basing BB, and now he acts confused as to why Gholston's name was mentioned.

LOL!!

Hey everybody, stop using the word "Jets" or referencing Jets players, it's too much for people like Shizzles.

lmao

[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about. Please stop using my name in reference to YOUR jets fantasies. I know you are excited that Brady had a bad day, but are you really drinking this early??? You sound cooked Buddy! I never talk about the Jets. Wrong guy, sorry. Thats you and your multiple accounts. Please go and find ONE thread where I talked about Front office of jets or GHholston for that matter.  Go back to bed please.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Don't lie. It will not work. No one said he's Ray Lewis.   99% of the board just took umbrage with TCal's premise of him "not being very good".

[/QUOTE]

And by 99% of the board you actually mean yourself and the 4 other Mayo ball washers.  The Majority of the board realizes this guy is average at best. 

The 5 ball washers were fitting him for a yellow jacket 2 games ago.....you know that game he had ZERO sacks and ZERO forced fumbles.....now I'm back to reading excuses, amazing.

Rusty Logic:

We win = Brady blows

Mayo disappears for games at a time = All Pro, future hall of famer.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Let me just clarify again as I see all the mayo supporters taking my comments wrong. I like Mayo, was very high on him when he came out. He was the 1st real linebacker taken in the BB era of the patriots and made quite the splash. He calls  the defense which is very important and is usually right in the middle of things, making plays in the run game. All Im saying is that when the lights get big and a Real smashmouth offense comes to town, he disappears. Can anyone name any plays he made in the SB last year while our defense couldnt get off the field and didnt get ONE 3 and out! Think about that. The biggest game and you cant get ONE 3 and out. If it aint the players, is BB that bad that he couldnt draw up ONE defensive play that was money and sure to get a stop? Gotta blame someone and BB gives credit to his players for good games so im just saying if he doesnt do squat he has to take some too. Let me ask this. Does anyone feel comfortable saying will be an impact player this playoffs???

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh no!  Poor Shizzly sees another Pats fan who is not me using context with a Jets draft bust, as Shizzly spent 3 years here praising the Jets front office and basing BB, and now he acts confused as to why Gholston's name was mentioned.

LOL!!

Hey everybody, stop using the word "Jets" or referencing Jets players, it's too much for people like Shizzles.

lmao

[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about. Please stop using my name in reference to YOUR jets fantasies. I know you are excited that Brady had a bad day, but are you really drinking this early??? You sound cooked Buddy! I never talk about the Jets. Wrong guy, sorry. Thats you and your multiple accounts. Please go and find ONE thread where I talked about Front office of jets or GHholston for that matter.  Go back to bed please.

[/QUOTE]

You were fell for the Jets phony team the last 2 years, as you bashed BB here and praised the Jets.

You can't lie now.

I have ONE account. ONE. Always have.  How does it feel to be a born loser?

[/QUOTE]

Is this more proof of your high I.Q. Boy you better get a refund form that school that gave you that "masters degree"  Im glad i dropped out!  lol

Please find a thread about me doing either one or C T F U with your crazy talk....smh at you

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Let me just clarify again as I see all the mayo supporters taking my comments wrong. I like Mayo, was very high on him when he came out. He was the 1st real linebacker taken in the BB era of the patriots and made quite the splash. He calls  the defense which is very important and is usually right in the middle of things, making plays in the run game. All Im saying is that when the lights get big and a Real smashmouth offense comes to town, he disappears. Can anyone name any plays he made in the SB last year while our defense couldnt get off the field and didnt get ONE 3 and out! Think about that. The biggest game and you cant get ONE 3 and out. If it aint the players, is BB that bad that he couldnt draw up ONE defensive play that was money and sure to get a stop? Gotta blame someone and BB gives credit to his players for good games so im just saying if he doesnt do squat he has to take some too. Let me ask this. Does anyone feel comfortable saying will be an impact player this playoffs???

[/QUOTE]

YES. I DO.

Now, go away and polish your bong.

[/QUOTE]

great, I hope I do not have to pull this thread back up to prove you wrong and that Mayo can find a way to make plays in January.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I went to go look for Mayo's playoff stats and they were very hard to find. I am just going to post the game logs of each player in last years playoffs.

Denver game

Mayo - 9 tackles, 1 Tackle for loss.

Spikes - 6 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 pass deflection, 2 QB hits

Baltimore game

Mayo - 8 tackles, 1 Pass deflection

Spikes - 10 tackles, 1 pass deflection

Giants Game

Mayo - 11 tackles and NO other stats

Spikes - 11 tackles and No other stats

So you see when the lights shine bright, the guy makes no impact other than to tackle the ball carrier after gaining yardage. Someone please find out what is the most money London Fletcher ever made because he was a tackling machine too who didnt do much else but atleast he BRINGS it when he Hits you.  Spikes was hurt last year and put up the same numbers. Go look up Pat Willis' playoff numbers and then get back to me, and Yes I would rather have Pat but I like Mayo too. Just pointing out that he doesnt make plays in big games and that doenst bode well for when Brady cant put up 40 pts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

You lot like to find all the warts on a playoff-calibre 12-4* team (assuming they win next week).  Have fun.  I understand some of the criticism of certain players, but some of you cannot see the forest for the trees.  There is a playoff team in New England, and the posts I read every week are looking for perfection and flawless play.  It just isn't going to happen.  Look at San Fran and Houston yesterday for perspective.  Look acoss the league and watch other teams play.  Every game is a challenge no matter who you're playing in the NFL. 

Some guys just have to be right and drone on about certain Patriots players.   News for ya, it's never as bad as you represent or as good as the ballwashers say it is.

Sections
Shortcuts