Mayo vs Spikes

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Mayo vs Spikes

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

You lot like to find all the warts on a playoff-calibre 12-4* team (assuming they win next week).  Have fun.  I understand some of the criticism of certain players, but some of you cannot see the forest for the trees.  There is a playoff team in New England, and the posts I read every week are looking for perfection and flawless play.  It just isn't going to happen.  Look at San Fran and Houston yesterday for perspective.  Look acoss the league and watch other teams play.  Every game is a challenge no matter who you're playing in the NFL. 

Some guys just have to be right and drone on about certain Patriots players.   News for ya, it's never as bad as you represent or as good as the ballwashers say it is.

I agree. This thread is a comparion of Mayo vs Spikes. whatever it turns  into after that is not my fault. Im sure 49ers are concerned but this is a Pats board and yes, im concerned so does that make me not a fan?  Pardon me if ive grown stale of coming up empty and wasting oppty's in the last 6 years of postseason play and dont want the trend to continue.

Every time I decide to come here there are numerous silly threads that i choose not to look at and that right is yours as well, ijs..  If you wanna discuss Mayo vs Spikes, lets do it, if not I dont understand your presence here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

They have different strengths. Spikes is a liability against the pass. He's good for creating the third and long situations. Not good against the first and long.

Did you see him one on one against Davis? Scary.

That TD against Dennard... I don't know if it was the safety's fault for leaving Dennard having to deal with two receivers, but I know Spikes did not help things by handing off the inside receiver unchallenged. He could have done more to jam.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

They have different strengths. Spikes is a liability against the pass. He's good for creating the third and long situations. Not good against the first and long.

That TD against Dennard... I don't know if it was the safety's fault for leaving Dennard having to deal with two receivers, but I know Spikes did not help things by handing off the inside receiver unchallenged. He could have done more to jam.

actually i think Spikes has improved drastically this season in that area. I used to thnk he was horrible and now I have to disagree with you because as of late, they have both been about the same. Mayo isnt great in coverage and with his speed he should be. Spikes SHOULD be bad in coverage because he is slow but he has come a long way. VS the 9ers Davis didnt do much and all I can remember is when Gregory watched as he ran right by him so lets keep it in perspective. How many catches did Spikes give up, and when he does, he is now in position to lay knock out hit as well. I dont wanna seem like I dont like Mayo but Spikes is pretty much just as good IMO at this point and is more of impact and contagious to our defense. SO my point is we can replace mayo, but not Spikes as he brings more than just tackling and forgive me but isnt tacking like football 101?  I mean thats not a skill. thats expected to happen. H3ll, TFB just made a tackle with half his elbow that saved a TD. so when  people come back with "he led the team in tackles" I point to London Fletcher a perennial loser wherever he has been.

Spikes is the guy we cant afford to lose on D, not Mayo IMo...thats all. How many players from T.White to M.Rivera to Tarpington have they plugged in and they all made "tackles" within the scheme so....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

actually i think Spikes has improved drastically this season in that area. I used to thnk he was horrible and now I have to disagree with you because as of late, they have both been about the same. Mayo isnt great in coverage and with his speed he should be. Spikes SHOULD be bad in coverage because he is slow but he has come a long way. VS the 9ers Davis didnt do much and all I can remember is when Gregory watched as he ran right by him so lets keep it in perspective. How many catches did Spikes give up, and when he does, he is now in position to lay knock out hit as well. I dont wanna seem like I dont like Mayo but Spikes is pretty much just as good IMO at this point and is more of impact and contagious to our defense. SO my point is we can replace mayo, but not Spikes as he brings more than just tackling and forgive me but isnt tacking like football 101?  I mean thats not a skill. thats expected to happen. H3ll, TFB just made a tackle with half his elbow that saved a TD. so when  people come back with "he led the team in tackles" I point to London Fletcher a perennial loser wherever he has been.

Spikes is the guy we cant afford to lose on D, not Mayo IMo...thats all. How many players from T.White to M.Rivera to Tarpington have they plugged in and they all made "tackles" within the scheme so....

agree with premis and treiple and mthurls points.

have said same. but no matter how many times somethign is observed, people who cannot see it on the field jsut arent going to see it, and therefore, many here will dislike you and your posts. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I was watching the Jags game yesterday, on a crucial third down play Mayo launched himself into the center and guard using a cross body block (a lost art form). Tracy White blitzed behind Mayo's pick play to sack Henne on that crucial third down... all I thought of in that moment was that small bunch of F-Tards who call themselves "fans" but continually degrade our own players, players other teams would love to have.  

They know less than nothing about football...

Spikes and Mayo essentially play two different positions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I was watching the Jags game yesterday, on a crucial third down play Mayo launched himself into the center and guard using a cross body block (a lost art form). Tracy White blitzed behind Mayo's pick play to sack Henne on that crucial third down... all I thought of in that moment was that small bunch of F-Tards who call themselves "fans" but continually degrade our own players, players other teams would love to have.  

That F-Tard Rusty's constant Bashing of Brady is beyond insane

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who cares who's better? They're both good players, but they're both asked to do two different things. 

The problem with the Patriots defense last game certainly wasn't Mayo's fault, it was having the two starting CBs that gave up the second to most passing yards in NFL history. McCourty and Arrington aren't cover CBs, they're going to give up large chunks of yards. The good thing is that, with all the yards they gave up, they managed to hold the Jaguars to 16 points. 

Imagine what we would have done with Dennard and Talib? We probably go down to 7 points with are passing yardage cut in half. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Also, it would've helped if BB didn't start Nink the Dink at MLB when Ninkovich has no speed or power to play there. 

Notice how the defense played better when Mayo came inside, White came in an went outside and Nink went to play DE? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

So I guess you guys will take Geno Atkins over Vince Wilfork, Geno has the stats, Big Vince has the stats that don't show up on your score card...Think about it for a second...Mayo makes a lot of plays that others get the credit..He's the QB of the Defense...If we're going to bash him for disappearing in big games..we should bash the whole D for that matter...I remember Big Vince having a great game against Baltimore and I said to myself.. " If he plays like this in the SB we win "...and the rest is history..he didn't have the same impact he had in the Baltimore game..I haven't seen a thread about VINCE vs LOVE....You can't blame one guy only on either side of the ball...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

So I guess you guys will take Geno Atkins over Vince Wilfork, Geno has the stats, Big Vince has the stats that don't show up on your score card...Think about it for a second...Mayo makes a lot of plays that others get the credit..He's the QB of the Defense...If we're going to bash him for disappearing in big games..we should bash the whole D for that matter...I remember Big Vince having a great game against Baltimore and I said to myself.. " If he plays like this in the SB we win "...and the rest is history..he didn't have the same impact he had in the Baltimore game..I haven't seen a thread about VINCE vs LOVE....You can't blame one guy only on either side of the ball...

I'd rather have both, Geno is no scrub... =D

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I noticed these two plays too, but that was about all he did. He drove into a blocker to his left during a blitz that opened up the play for a sack...good play. I can list at least five others that were poor that a backup would get cut for.

It's not that we are "F-tards", it's just that we are on a football site that likes to notice things related to the team...both good and bad. When I joined this board I read no disclaimer that said I had to put a pink hat on, guzzle a gallon of coolaid and crap a patriot helmet. If that was what I was looking for I'd get a sex change and become a mindless cheerleader in hopes that one day I would be able to get Mayo to sign my pom poms.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wilfork and Mayo are on two different levels, even when Wilfork doesn't play all that well he still is the best player we have on defense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I noticed these two plays too, but that was about all he did. He drove into a blocker to his left during a blitz that opened up the play for a sack...good play. I can list at least five others that were poor that a backup would get cut for.

It's not that we are "F-tards", it's just that we are on a football site that likes to notice things related to the team...both good and bad. When I joined this board I read no disclaimer that said I had to put a pink hat on, guzzle a gallon of coolaid and crap a patriot helmet. If that was what I was looking for I'd get a sex change and become a mindless cheerleader in hopes that one day I would be able to get Mayo to sign my pom poms.

Nine times out of ten Mayo is asked to drop back into zone coverage or to man cover the opposition's best big tightend, that you don't hear from him is a good thing.  

Also you take for granted the open field tackles that he makes on substantially faster RB's on a routine basis as if it were easy... if he isn't making those routine tackles those playmakers are streaking downfield for long gains.  

The guy leads the NFL in tackles or is in the top 5 every year when healthy, you can't fake tackles, you can't fake results.  I know all of our player's sux so I'll just assume he is no different from the rest.

Mayo is one of the best linebackers in the NFL, this isn't up for debate.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Mayo is a smarter, more disciplined player than Spikes in my opinion.  He's always around the ball.  Not a big hitter, but he flows to the ball exceptionally well and wraps guys up in a way a lot of players don't anymore, therefore making sure tackles.  Spikes is a bigger hitter, more of an intimidator than Mayo, but also more likely to be out of position.  Honestly, I think the two complement each other well--fire and ice.   

I do wish we had a LB who was really good in pass coverage.  Mayo is the best of the starting three, but he's still not an outstanding pass defender, I don't think.  I keep hoping Tavon Wilson will be able to play a hybrid role on passing downs, giving us an LB-like player who can also cover TEs and slots reasonably well. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Mayo is a smarter, more disciplined player than Spikes in my opinion.  He's always around the ball.  Not a big hitter, but he flows to the ball exceptionally well and wraps guys up in a way a lot of players don't anymore, therefore making sure tackles.  Spikes is a bigger hitter, more of an intimidator than Mayo, but also more likely to be out of position.  Honestly, I think the two complement each other well--fire and ice.   

I do wish we had a LB who was really good in pass coverage.  Mayo is the best of the starting three, but he's still not an outstanding pass defender, I don't think.  I keep hoping Tavon Wilson will be able to play a hybrid role on passing downs, giving us an LB-like player who can also cover TEs and slots reasonably well. 

Thank you for the rational and objective comments.  Dane Fletcher returns next year, so I think NE has a chance to feature the best LB corps from 1-5 in the NFL.  He's very good in coverage. He may not be a Sean Lee level player, but he's pretty good.

Fletcher was looking like he had some potential, but I do think there's room to bring in another LB or two to compete for a spot on passing downs.  It's not the highest priority though, because we do have good talent at that position--and I also think Hightower will improve a lot with experience next year. 

Mayo is a real Belichick kind of player, I think--Belichick really values the smarts and film study.  I assume most of us read this story . . . 

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8749302/jerod-mayo-spicing-new-england-patriots-defense-taking-play-another-level

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

I called out Vince too and Mayo doesnt get triple teamed by lineman. Also People have said Geno Atkins may be the best DT in the league this year so its not just stats, the guy makes an impact and yes I would take Geno over Vince in this 4-3 scheme we play as supposed to 3-4 where Vince has more impact.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Also, it would've helped if BB didn't start Nink the Dink at MLB when Ninkovich has no speed or power to play there. 

Notice how the defense played better when Mayo came inside, White came in an went outside and Nink went to play DE? 

NInk the Dink only started inside in terms of what was put on the screen for fans but I watched the game, Nink never actually played inside. He played OLB. BB puts out his starters every week to the media or whoever b4 the game, but its never accurate. He used to put bench players in the starting lineup on paper who never played.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Nine times out of ten Mayo is asked to drop back into zone coverage or to man cover the opposition's best big tightend, that you don't hear from him is a good thing.  

Also you take for granted the open field tackles that he makes on substantially faster RB's on a routine basis as if it were easy... if he isn't making those routine tackles those playmakers are streaking downfield for long gains.  

The guy leads the NFL in tackles or is in the top 5 every year when healthy, you can't fake tackles, you can't fake results.  I know all of our player's sux so I'll just assume he is no different from the rest.

Mayo is one of the best linebackers in the NFL, this isn't up for debate.

Do you know why it appears Mayo didn't have a good game and why Shizzles started this (outside of the fact that it's to deflect from Brady's poor game)?

It's because of that ONE fake reverse on that swing pass to the RB to the weak side that went for like 50 yards.  Mayo was the one in pursuit from behind, so in Shizzles's world, it's time to blame Mayo.

That's how small his brain is. Also, if Mayo doesn't force a fumble personally, blitz and get a sack or get an INT, he "stinks".

It's the line of thinking of very simple minded people and this board is littered with Shizzlies.

Did you see me state this is any of my posts??  Then Shut it! Jeez! I bet your nose hits the door 5 minutes before you can reach the knob with that pinocchio snouzer of yours. Why would you make up stufff and lie on a sports forum? I would hate to see you under oath. More BS from you to detract from my thread because everyone you start gets ignored or turns into a intervention for you...lol   Nice try, but when I need you to think for me, I'll ,......well lets just say that would never happen.  ONce again, this a thread to compare 2 players and I havent said much else besides how I evaluated them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

This is all I asked to give an assesment. COngrats as you were the only one able to do that, maybe a couple others. Every one else has agendas

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

This is all I asked to give an assesment. COngrats as you were the only one able to do that, maybe a couple others. Every one else has agendas

The problem, Mr. Phony, is this kind of a Mayo bashing agenda thread like yours has come A LOT recently, where we've already explained to you the differences in skill sets between each and how Spikes gets more of the "glory", so to speak.

Don't play coy with us. You aren't fooling anyone.

agendas????  Oh, u mean like the one you have with Brady?  Im sure if we did a poll, everyone here would want to cut Brady before Mayo right?

Annnnyways! I dont need anyone to explain that they are different. My main point was in the last 2 years weve heard a lot of "Spikes makes this defense better or gives them more swagger, makes them tougher" and you have been the main one so Im just trying to figure out why noone has ever said "with out Mayo, this defense is just ok, or we are missing Mayo and his intensity" so I saw it fit to evaluate them both and make a comparison. Never said one had to be better or that I dont like both. Thanx for stopping by and adding your brilliant input as always Mr. 152

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Wilfork and Mayo are on two different levels, even when Wilfork doesn't play all that well he still is the best player we have on defense.

So why give Big Vince a pass when he too disappears in the big game and not mayo? He's the leader of that Defense, the best player on the line right? so we should expect him to step his game up on the biggest game of the year...because as Vince goes this D is a different beast coupled with having spikes in the middle...I'm not one who likes to blame just one guy when there're 11 of them who needs to do their job in order for the whole unit to function well....I put blame on the whole team, and that's how it should be..this is not baseball where you can blame the pitcher when the offense gives him 6-7 runs and he gives up 10-12....

Sections
Shortcuts