Mayo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Mayo

Has he been the force we hoped he would be? I know he missed time with injury but his numbers aren't as impressive as last year and i haven't heard his name called that much by the commentators... it seems to me that most great defenses have a guy that takes things to a whole other level. do we have THE guy to make our defense great?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Re: Mayo

Yes he is a force, you can defeinetely tell when he's not out there making plays all over the field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

Why is it when a great player, like Mayo, starts getting a little help, people feel he's slippin???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Mayo:
    Why is it when a great player, like Mayo, starts getting a little help, people feel he's slippin???
    Posted by southnpatsfan

I tend to agree, southn'..   if your defense is all about one player..  a la Palu for the Steelers...   you do need to worry.  When the defense as a whole has contributions from all corners, that is much preferred with a standout game coming from a different player each week.  It means the opponents offense can't key on one part due to an absence since the other parts fill in nicely.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

I love Mayo, but I think what people are referring to is that we haven't see too many game changing plays by him.  Those are the kind of plays that seperate good players from great.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

Seasons not over yet, and it wouldn't surprise me if his shoulder isn't 100%.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Mayo:
    Has he been the force we hoped he would be? I know he missed time with injury but his numbers aren't as impressive as last year and i haven't heard his name called that much by the commentators... it seems to me that most great defenses have a guy that takes things to a whole other level. do we have THE guy to make our defense great?
    Posted by sirpinochle

He leads the D, that is BB's call; But hey, what does he know about Defense?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

where is he?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Sophomore Slump?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think Bruschi alluded to it in his weakly game breakdown with Reiss.  Mayo has a LOT more responsibility this year on D.  In the same manner that "the game slows down" for veterans who know the system so well, it's probably fair to assume that "the game speed up" for Mayo some this year with all of his additional responsibilities.  He's probably thinking more than he likes each play.  Expect a big year from him next year.  A lot of veterans have a hard time picking up BB's defense.  We have a player in only his 2nd season leading it now.  It has to be tough on him.  The fact he's doing it at all so soon speaks volumes for his ability.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBcheats. Show BBcheats's posts

In Response to Mayo : He leads the D, that is BB's call; But hey, what does he know about Defense?
    Posted by gmbill

After giving up 35 to the Colts...and 38 to the Saints....apparently not much.  And don't blame the players....he drafted 'em.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

apparently, im the only pats fan concerned that there is not one guy to have really distinguished himself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I do see Mayo occassionally hitting the wrong gap from time to time, but he did that in his rookie year as well. I think a previous poster put it best; we aren't seeing a lot of game-changing plays from Mayo. But I do think he is still just about our best contributor.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

What I liked about Mayo last yr was he tackled facing the LOS. This year has been more pursuit tackles. I think more time is going to be well worth the wait. Guyton an Thomas are the unknowns to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Mayo, Guyton, Meriweather and Pryor* are the future of this D, and once they get more experience this D is gonna look HELLA SWEET

*maybe Pryor is the new Wilfork, hes been playing very well, and hes huge

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Mayo has had some big whiffs and I haven't seen any great coverage by him.  Don't know why everyone is swingin from his ball sack.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Jerod is fine, he´s doing a lot of things great for this team. I hope he gets at least 1 game changing play soon, he deserve it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprfrk81. Show sprfrk81's posts

TOUGH TO JUDGE HIM THIS YR, HES DEFINETLY NOT 100, BUT IF UR ON THE FIELD U NEED 2 B MAKIN PLAYS, CLEARLY HE HASNT BEEN " THE PLAYA" WE THOUGHT THIS YR, BUT WHO HAS. I MEAN THIS TEAM HAS NO PASS RUSH, ITS A RUMAH AT BEST.WEVE HAD AT LEAST ONE CORNER THE PAST 3YRS THAT HAS JST GOTTN PICK APART, HOBBS, ONIEL, WHILETE, OR WHEATLEY, I LIK BOTH WEN THEY CAME OUT BUT JST HAVNT PRODUCED, DLINE HASNT BEEN HEALTHY, OLINE JST IS MADE FOR PASS PROTECTION, THEY LUV 2 GET DOWN THE FIELD, SCREENS , QUICK OUTS, I SAID THIS ALL YR, WE JST DONT HAV THE PLAYAS,BOTTOM LINE, WE NEED TO GET HOT N GO ON A RUN TO DO ANY REAL DAMAGE IN THE TOURNY THIS YR

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

TOUGH TO JUDGE HIM THIS YR, HES DEFINETLY NOT 100, BUT IF UR ON THE FIELD U NEED 2 B MAKIN PLAYS, CLEARLY HE HASNT BEEN " THE PLAYA" WE THOUGHT THIS YR, BUT WHO HAS. I MEAN THIS TEAM HAS NO PASS RUSH, ITS A RUMAH AT BEST.WEVE HAD AT LEAST ONE CORNER THE PAST 3YRS THAT HAS JST GOTTN PICK APART, HOBBS, ONIEL, WHILETE, OR WHEATLEY, I LIK BOTH WEN THEY CAME OUT BUT JST HAVNT PRODUCED, DLINE HASNT BEEN HEALTHY, OLINE JST IS MADE FOR PASS PROTECTION, THEY LUV 2 GET DOWN THE FIELD, SCREENS , QUICK OUTS, I SAID THIS ALL YR, WE JST DONT HAV THE PLAYAS,BOTTOM LINE, WE NEED TO GET HOT N GO ON A RUN TO DO ANY REAL DAMAGE IN THE TOURNY THIS YR
    Posted by sprfrk81

Don't be afraid to type full words your not getting charged by the letter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

mayo su ck s

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

Mayo is not the problem with the D.  This team NEEDS I repeat this team NEEDS a dominant edge pass rusher i.e:  Dwight Freeney or Jared Allen type.  The secondary is young, and I think will improve, but Henne had all day to throw, and even with the blitz packages they couldn't get to him.  I love TBC's heart, but when he leads the team in sacks your D is middle of the pack at best. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

Mayo has a larger role, so it was only a matter of time before we heard his name called on every other play.  But what about the name "Thomas?"  I hardly ever hear that name, and he's the guy we paid a metric butt-ton of money for as a FA.  IMHO, he's not lived up to that contract and as a member of a linebacker corps in a 3-4 defense, he needed to play bigger, as he did in Chicago.  He's been, by and large, a bust - and a costly one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Two plays stuck out for me today. They showed a replay of a Ricky Williams run, and Mayo is standing there 3 yards from the LOS flatfooted he steps forward and is blocked. Mayo shows poor technique on this play by putting his head on the wrong side of the play and makes a weak attempt at an arm tackle.
     The second play was the total whiff on Bess for a 3rd down stop...poor technique again.

Sections
Shortcuts